Tonight's news of interest... - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old May 30th, 2008, 9:11 pm Thread Starter

Tonight's news of interest...

Figuring we have lost nearly 6+ weeks of riding time already, and it was SO nice out tonight, WE decided to take the LT out about 9pm and do what it was built to do. 15 mins from the house and we are on one of the better roads the area has to offer. We come to a very wide open, excellently surfaced passing area to get past the car in front (the only one on the road except us).....and from out of nowhere, it appears to be a large bear coming out from behind a large mound in the process of crossing the road. YIKES!

The fact we have had numerous visits from large black bear in the yard it was not an outrageous first assumption.

Too late to do much, I figure either the guy we are passing or someone is going to hit this monster.

Turns out, it was a kid on a quad, no lights, nothing at all, pure black. Had he not had the power on that machine it apparently had, it could have turned ugly. I doubt he anticipated anyone coming at him that fast & might have needed to change his shorts when he got home.

Whew, glad to be able to report we escaped another too close a call.

Other than that, WOW, what a great ride! The bike is so smooth, the COM system worked, the speakers all work.......now if I just get the CQ/HID installed (just got here today), we will be all set.

;^/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old May 31st, 2008, 5:44 am
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Re: Tonight's news of interest...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveDragon
Glad it turned out well for you! Could have been a disaster.

There is a road just outside the gated community I live in that is the choice road for riders in the area.

It is a couple of miles long with several 90 degree as well as 45 degree turns.

At night, the sport bikers tear it up. Two nights ago when I went down to Largo to grab some Take Out for Sue & I, I came back along this road.

While just cruising along at about 50mph, I was passed by 3 Sport-bikes running wide as open, WIT NO Head Lamps or Tail Lamps lit. Just blasting along in the dark at a pace easily 20mph faster than I was doing.

All I could think about was a cager rolling out in front of them from a side road and getting rammed by three ballistic stealth missiles!
That reminds me..... last month on the way home from Barber (AMA Superbikes) three of us cruising down Hwy 20 around 10pm. Out of the blue 3 bikes pass us doing well over 100 mph. The first rider almost hit me from behind as I tryed to get outa his way then missed our lead bike by inches as he cut between him and the back of a 18 wheeler Well 10 or so miles down the road we see a group of blue flashing light. 5 or 6 State Troupers. One was way out in the field shining his lights into the woods. 3 Troupers had one if the 3 guy cuffed and was stuffing him into the car. You know " Watch your head sir!!! Opps sorry did that hurt your FACE" About a 1/4 mile down the road the other 2 riders sat under an overpass. We guess they where waiting on the friend to come catch up to them.

Stevie Shreeve
post #3 of 4 Old May 31st, 2008, 6:36 am
Cooler on the east coast!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveDragon
Glad it turned out well for you! Could have been a disaster.

There is a road just outside the gated community I live in that is the choice road for riders in the area.

It is a couple of miles long with several 90 degree as well as 45 degree turns.

At night, the sport bikers tear it up. Two nights ago when I went down to Largo to grab some Take Out for Sue & I, I came back along this road.

While just cruising along at about 50mph, I was passed by 3 Sport-bikes running wide as open, WIT NO Head Lamps or Tail Lamps lit. Just blasting along in the dark at a pace easily 20mph faster than I was doing.

All I could think about was a cager rolling out in front of them from a side road and getting rammed by three ballistic stealth missiles!
Gated community you go Dave
I learned of a crazy thing some of the sport bike riders are doing on the expressways of Chicago. They will chose a starting point and end point. Then go balls out though traffic weaving, buzzing cars to the finish line just for bragging rights. Often they dont make it.

G-Glove
2003 Silver LTC

post #4 of 4 Old May 31st, 2008, 1:03 pm

Out for a ride a couple of weeks ago and got buzzed by one of the neighborhood fellas. A mile down the road here he was at a gas station, sitting on his bike looking cool. Pulled up and had a little chat with him about respect and safety. Then helped him off the ground. I'm pretty sure he got my point and won't do that again, at least not to me.

Now, going to have to work on the other crowd that rides the quads up and down the roads at midnight with no lights and through the lawns. They don't come through my yard anymore but if they don't stay off the road, one or more of them are going to end up as a hood ornament.

B D R

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in