Thought I would share (little long) - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old May 29th, 2008, 12:06 pm Thread Starter

Thought I would share (little long)

I have not posted a good story latley so I decided I would share in an experience that happened two saturdays ago.

I was teaching my first mc course for the season and decided I might want to get to the range early. I packed my stuff and headed southwest. I range is about an hour from my house if you take the scenic route. Any how I started out at 10:30AM, class did not start until 1PM but like I said I wanted to be early. The first 3/4 of the ride were uneventful. Actually very relaxing until I got past the town of Durham, CT on RTE 17. Right past town I got behind a blue Neon. Everything was fine for the first several miles but then I noticed the car start to weave from the double yellow to the single white lines. I thought to myself "hmmmm..I better watch this guy". I was in no rush so I just backed off alittle. Just before we entered the town of Northford we came around a right hand corner and he slams his brakes on for no reason at all. Now I am thinking I should stop and alert the PD about this guy but we are in an area that is only serviced by the State Police and I figured by the time the PD could get down here he would be long gone. Well about a half mile from that curve he drives off the right hand side of the road and recovers. By this time I have let the gap open up to about 6 car lengths. There is no one else around. Just me and this guy. Not a 100 yards after he drives off the road he does it again but this time he hits a telephone pole at about 50MPH. I have never been that close to a car that has hot something that solid. Now the car goes airborne and sort of barrel rolls once before coming to rest on its wheel in the center of the road. Now remember I backed way off so I come to a nice easy stop just at the pole that he hit. The car is at least another 50 yards down the street. I get off and head down the road to see if this guy is ok. People are coming out of there houses now because of the sound the collison made. I heard the collison even with the IPOD going and a full face helmet. The guy gets out of the car and calls someone on his cell phone. I tell him to get out of the road and sit down and wait for EMS.

Why am I telling you this story. Well here is waht I learned that day. I would rather be a safe distance behind someone before/as they crash then possibly going by him in a passing zone as he crashed. If I was in a hurry that day I might ahve tried to pass him at that very moment. It was a passing zone. I do not know if he was drunk or not but he was not 100% there. FD told me that he was off his BiPolar meds but not sure that would have anything to do with his driving. I know that people can self medicate with alcohol but not sure if we was drunk or not. All I know is I did the right thing backing way off and not trying to pass this guy.

Ride Safe. BTW, I was right on time for class that day. And I got to share a real world experience with my class.

2005 R1200GS (to be named)

2005 K1200LT Gretchen traded in for GS

MOA # 118981
MSF Instructor

My Photo Gallery

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old May 29th, 2008, 12:41 pm

Re: Thought I would share (little long)

Good story, great lesson and thankfully time and patience were on your side that day. I've seen a couple crashes, never quite that close though ane never while on a bike. They can be pretty sobering... scary.

BTW (bit of a highjack here...) - you still thinking about an RT? A month or so ago you posted that you saw one and, well forgive me if I don't quite recall the exact words but something like "beautiful biarritz blue RT in Rocky Hill after work and was thinking of steeling it (or something to that effect). I recall that 'cause that may very well have been me and mine. I'd just got it a few weeks earlier and had been buzzing around Rocky Hill, Wethersfield, Cromwell and other places quite a bit while trying to relax that big grin... Still do too.

Yessir... Ride Safe.

Mark
'07 RT
post #3 of 6 Old May 29th, 2008, 1:14 pm Thread Starter

Yeah I was on My LT at a stop light turning left onto Rt99 headed into Cromwell. I thought long and hard about doing a swap but not sure how I would explain it. and I did not want to piss off another BMW rider. You might not have been too thrilled. I'd rather drool over the bike and make friends. I think I will pay off the LT and then buy an RT for fun/commuting. I took the topcase off yesterday and boy I love the difference it makes. Not quite the RT but maybe close enough.

Cheers!

2005 R1200GS (to be named)

2005 K1200LT Gretchen traded in for GS

MOA # 118981
MSF Instructor

My Photo Gallery

My Blog

post #4 of 6 Old May 29th, 2008, 8:02 pm

Everyone, please don't let my bit of a hijack let you loose site of the message Jim put out there. Lack of any response past my hijack leads me to believe that perhaps I've tainted the message. Don't let it be so.

Thanks.

Mark
'07 RT
post #5 of 6 Old May 30th, 2008, 7:07 am

Old yeller Dog,
as a fellow MSF Instructor, good message. A rule of thumb is that it is typically safer to have idiots in front of you than behind you.

Roy

Roy Gregersen

Ride Slow, Ride Fast, Always Ride Safe
85 K100RT sold
02 LTC DOA 9/21/14
12 R1200RT
post #6 of 6 Old May 30th, 2008, 1:52 pm

Good tale, thanks. But to me this presents a strong argument for allowing us to have missle launchers mounted to our bikes. That way you could have dispatched this guy from behind a distance away and sent him on his evolutionary way without him ever having the chance to injure others from his haphazard driving. Because he will surely kill himself in a car one day. I mean if an MSF instructor can't be trusted with a missle launcher, who can???

Greg

2000 k1200LT Basalt Grey (Roxie)
BMWMOA Number: 134717
I have a great doctor, if you can't afford the surgery, he'll touch up the xrays -- Henny Youngman

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in