Porsche Boxster - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old May 28th, 2008, 9:25 pm Thread Starter

Porsche Boxster

My wife and i have been thinking about buying a roadster and have been looking at a couple of o6 boxsters both with 10000 miles fun to drive I was wondering if anybody has had any experience with them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old May 28th, 2008, 9:27 pm

Re: Porsche Boxster

Check out the Honda S2000 - kick a$$ little roadster there too... They absolutely sing above 6K revs!

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
CCR-R: 2018, Russellville
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
Sold but "beloved" ride: K12 LT - "Pepe"
IBA #31242 (SSx2, BB, BBG)
MOA #136148

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
post #3 of 16 Old May 28th, 2008, 9:59 pm

I don't own one but my neighbor does so I've been in and around it quite a bit. My neighbor is generally pleased with it; I found it to ride pretty well in consideration of what it is and, of course, peppy. What the neighbor has found is that the car isn't hesitant to go through rear tires (soft compound extra wide) and these tires aren't cheap. He has also had a few mechanical problems (nothing out of the ordinary) but the engine is buried in the Boxster as it is on the LT. Labor costs for repairs are healthy. All in all a pretty decent car but some parallels to the LT. They can be costly to maintain properly ....... but there is a ton of smiles per gallon!

post #4 of 16 Old May 28th, 2008, 10:16 pm

2nd the Honda S2k. I had one for about 10 months. Loved it, but sold it because I'm just getting to the point I need comfort. In fact the only reason I bought it is because I was riding my KLT as my commuter in Miami, and people were pissing me off... so I sold the bike. Wife suggested I get a sport car. Went to an Infiniti after... luxury and power, oh yeah.

Did extensive research on the convertibles before buying. The S2k outruns the BMW, Porshe Boxster, all comparables. It is a blast to drive. I would not buy a Porshe Boxster. Once in Miami at a redlight, some young girl pulls up in her Boxster, looked over at us and giggled.. don't know what that was about. In any case, when the light went green, I punched it and we left her behind... badly, until we met up at the next red light. She wouldn't even look over. Hysterical.. but I don't do that kind of stuff often. People who aren't familiar with the convertibles just don't know whta the Honda S2k can do. And man can it handle the corners... you will shred some tires... it's just too much fun.

There was saying in Miami about the only people that drive Boxsters (one was women (chicks))... not that it matters what others say.

Norwood
08 B Blue
NC
post #5 of 16 Old May 28th, 2008, 10:57 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for some info I kinda thought they would be costly on the service work about like my 03 LT . Myself I think I would rather have a c6 corvette would be a little cheaper to service and probably a little easier to work on if you had to since the motor on the boxster is hidden.
post #6 of 16 Old May 28th, 2008, 11:42 pm
Ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorwoodD
...but sold it because I'm just getting to the point I need comfort.
I have an '04 S2000. Love it, but it certainly isn't plush. My brother-in-law has a Boxster. Definitely more comfy, and more torque. And, it's a Porsche.

When asked, I often refer to the S2000 as a 1/2 priced Boxster. Besides the sticker price, it costs virtually nothing to maintain (except tires).

If money were no object, I'd probably have a Boxster. But, having an LT and an S2000 I really have nothing to complain about.

It just occurred to me that the LT and S2000 are similar in the fact that they both have split personalities - meaning at low revs vs high revs. Get those revs up on either machine, and they become a different animal.

Ted

Camarillo, CA
2012 Ducati Multistrada 1200S - Red
2007 R1200S - Black - Sold
2003 K1200LTC - Silver - Sold
IBA# 16554

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 16 Old May 29th, 2008, 7:49 am

I sold my Z-3 but would definitely look at the Z-4 for a great ride.

Allan..Illinois, Oregon, Arkansas, and tomorrow the Universe
2003 K1200LT trike - Starfighter
2004 R1150RTP - Combat Touring
IBA #38152
BMW-MOA 97667
Patriot Guard Riders
...and man of leisure

post #8 of 16 Old May 29th, 2008, 10:39 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0208
Myself I think I would rather have a c6 corvette would be a little cheaper to service and probably a little easier to work on if you had to since the motor on the boxster is hidden.
..and the fact that a C6 will pound a Boxster into a bloody stump performance wise, has more room, a better ride, and still gets close to 30 mpg on the highway. The downside to the Vette is depreciation. You can get a decent low mileage C5 for under $20k now.

Dave Hoogerland

'08 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
'02 K1200LTC "The Silver Snoopy" (gone but not forgotten)
'08 Can-Am Spyder "???"

post #9 of 16 Old May 29th, 2008, 11:22 am

If you go for a BMW Z3 or Z4, make sure it is a M-Roadster version. The M will eat a Boxster like a box lunch.

Ride 'em if you got 'em.
post #10 of 16 Old May 29th, 2008, 12:53 pm

It's always nice to have a late model vehicle covered by some sort of warranty but I'll tell ya, I was considering the same ride about this time last year. While I eventually ended up with an RT ( - long story) I had done a ton of research centered around the Porsche. To me the best bang for the buck is the 993 (1993 - 1998 911). You can pick a really sweet cabrio up for around $40K and in my opinion have a ride that's classic, timeless. The 993 is considered by many to be the best Porsche made. Personally the 1996 is the best year. Check ebay. There's generally a few nice examples out there, or at least there were through the end of last year.

Mark
'07 RT
post #11 of 16 Old May 31st, 2008, 2:32 pm

I had a Boxster S. I have a Cayman now. They are two of the best handling cars in the world!

2012 BMW R1200RT
2010 TRIUMPH BONNEVILLE
post #12 of 16 Old May 31st, 2008, 5:34 pm
Cat Herder

Quote:
My wife and i have been thinking about buying a roadster and have been looking at a couple of o6 boxsters both with 10000 miles fun to drive I was wondering if anybody has had any experience with them.
Can't help you with a Boxster, other than I was looking at them myself just 3 months ago. Then a friend of mine brought some simple facts to my attention:

08 is the last year of the Chrysler Crossfire, and while I would have never considered a 'real' Chrysler the Crossfire is a different breed, since it is essentially a Mercedes SLK 320 in a different skin. Same engine, same electronics, same gearbox, same steering, same brakes, same everything, just the skin is different. So I started to look at them, because I rather buy the last year of a specific model than the first, and I rather buy new for the same price than used. You can get a NEW crossfire currently for around $25k or even below dependin on the model and the installed goodies. For a car that costs around $60k at Mercedes and was around $40k when it came out that is a pretty good price. I have now almost 10k miles in the last 2.5 months (long story) and the car gets better with every mile.

No it's not a race car and yes there are plenty of faster cars on the road, but if you like a bit more style and comfort and quality rather than brute force you might want to take a look at the last crossfires on the market.
post #13 of 16 Old Jun 1st, 2008, 3:58 pm

We chose the Z4

Quote:
A few years ago we looked at the Boxter, TT, Z4, and S2000. We ended up with the Z4 - the "controversial" look grew on us pretty quick. The boxter or s2k are a bit faster and would probably be more fun on the track, but the Z4 is actually more fun to toss around on the streets IMHO (turn off the traction control for some good old fashioned oversteer) and it's a LOT more comfortable than any of the others. It feels a lot roomier inside, the doors are lower so you can see better, the electric top is fast and super convenient, and the trunk is actually useful -- seriously, we can put 2 sets of golf clubs in it. (No spare though, you get run flat tires instead.) We drive it every day, it's not a weekend car at all.
post #14 of 16 Old Jun 1st, 2008, 5:31 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLTex
If you go for a BMW Z3 or Z4, make sure it is a M-Roadster version. The M will eat a Boxster like a box lunch.
My Wife has the Z3-M version...haven't found anything funner!

Bob Thede
'02 K1200 LT-Blackie II

'97 BMW Z3-SO's
BMWMOA #135792

CCR-'08

'62 Fender Jazz Bass-played often!
post #15 of 16 Old Jun 1st, 2008, 6:12 pm

Quote:
To add one to the list... check out the Saturn Sky Red Line (Pontiac Solstice GXP) You've got to get the Red Line for the turbo - it gets good mileage and is quick. A buddy of mine at work has one and it smokes the boss's Boxter.

2005 Graphite
The only way to live is in the wind....
post #16 of 16 Old Jun 1st, 2008, 6:17 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLTex
This Top Gear shootout video between the Boxster, Z4, and S2000 is worth a watch. FWIW my Z4 ('03) predates the M, it's got the sports package tho. Top Gear did a review of the Z4 M and it did eat the Boxter's lunch, and if The Stig's lap times are anything to go by it'll eat the lunch of the lower end 911s too.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in