Underground conduit advice needed - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old May 28th, 2008, 8:34 pm Thread Starter

Underground conduit advice needed

We found the electrical line to the septic system was only buried 3" below some stone in the front of the house. We dug up what was left of the plastic casing today, and need to replace it.

I have not seen this type of pipe before. It will fit into a 2" schedule 30 PVC pipe fitting. However, as you can see by the pics, the black pipe was very flexible, which they used to route around the tanks, stone and trees.

The pipe we need to replace is about 35' long. The two power lines are 115' each, which I intend to reuse.

Can I buy replacement, flexible black underground rated pipe like that installed here some 20+ years ago?

If not, what are my options other than rubber connections between the black pipe and some PVC? It is going to be very difficult to get any pipe to run in a straight line between the two ends that have been cut.

Need to get this reinstalled tomorrow, appreciate any thoughts or experiences dealing with this stuff.

Thanks in advance!

Electrical Conduit

See the photos here:
http://www.sendpix.com/albums/08052817/wyms4sngxi/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old May 28th, 2008, 8:53 pm

Re: Underground conduit advice needed

That looks like regular lawn sprinkler system water pipe. It's relatively flexible and you can connect any pieces you want with plastic couplers, tees, 90's, and 45's made for the purpose. I suppose any lawn and garden supply house or building supply store would have it in stock. It comes in different widths. use hose clamps with the fittings. Also, heating the tubing up with a propane torch (easy does it) makes it easier to install the fittings. HTH

Matt
95 Honda Magna (sold)
97 R1100RT (sold)
00 LTc, Canyon Red "Tarkus" (sold)
01 F650GS (wifey's, sold)
01 Ducati S4 Monster "LittleOne"
04 R1150RT (turned to scrap)
99 R1100RT Tundra Green
Kalamazoo, MI
"Worry does not rob tomorrow of it's sorrow. It saps the strength of today."
post #3 of 7 Old May 28th, 2008, 9:46 pm

Just a quick thought - you've probably got two code violations there - first the pipe and then the depth of burial.

Not something I would every worry about unless it comes time to sell your house - some of the home inspectors out there hired by purchasers can be REALLY tough on sellers.

Probably worth doing it right for a few bucks more with schedule 40 conduit or whatever is legal? Looks like the wire is up to snuff.

Your local planning and zoning guys would know for sure.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Like Butt-ahh!"

post #4 of 7 Old May 29th, 2008, 7:09 am

Wayne... adding my thoughts to the great advice so far...

I'd first check with "Dottie"... a free service... that will check for underground problems such as gas lines BEFORE you dig... here is a hint about where to start ... usually in your phone book OR ask your "inspector"... http://www.cleco.com/site252.php

Strip all the old conduit to recover the wiring .

Next, rent a "ditch witch" to dig to the correct depth, plus a few inches..from where the electrical leaves your home to where it ends... it's okay to bury lower than "code"...and will save you if they "modify" the code in the future.

Go ahead and rerun the wire in the conduit.... reuse where possible...

Since you will be burying "lower" in the ground, you will need more wiring... and you can use "wire nut" similar to this one... http://electrical.hardwarestore.com/...er-601544.aspx

or

http://electrical.hardwarestore.com/...or-601534.aspx

Make SURE you use Antioxidant coating and STAGGER the connections by a few inches.

In order to "fit" these splices, if they take up too much space, you can "add" larger conduit at that spot to accommodate the splices....then reduce to the original size.

That will take 2 "reducer" couplers and a section of larger pipe.

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 7 Old May 29th, 2008, 8:46 am Thread Starter

Been up early this AM disconnecting the wires and digging out the trench. Nothing but ROCK, ROCK and more ROCK. Have to take a few more pics, for when I get older, like maybe next month. July was my expected date of departure for this lifetime....may have to reconsider that providing the LT runs like is is supposed to.

It is as deep as it is going to get. A few loads of top soil going on top. Local stores say the ABS is no longer an option. Going with #30 & 4" shielding over that, waterproof splice kits staggered in a 4" box. That should do it.

There were FOUR totally bare wires, more than a foot long, from what appears to have been total destruction from some critters inside the pipe. Lots of nuts in there too. I am amazed the system still functioned.

Greatly appreciate the tips!! Printed out the links, see what is available at the local hardware store.

Waited all winter to fix the LT and have decent weather to ride, and now this.
SOAB!

;^/
post #6 of 7 Old May 30th, 2008, 4:41 pm Thread Starter

Just a follow up to the project.

Only one supply house in the area had ANY of what I needed. They had THE very last and only one 4" PVC T fitting I HAD to have, been in the warehouse for years, #40 / 2" pipe with 4" corrugated on top of that, a couple hundred $ later, and we're just about done.

Two PVC joint failures....never had that happen in all the years I used to do this kind of work, way back when.

Had to drive 60 miles today for the electrical connectors. No one seemed to know what I was talking about....? Even with the print outs, no idea. Good thing Home Depot has a nice selection. Found a few new connectors I never saw before, bought a few just to see how they work.

Mice had eaten through both cables, and they had fused together at more than a few places. Should be able to finish the job next week.

Then, "the BOSS" says the computer needs to be moved, asap........more wiring, telephone jack and HSI cable routing, through an already over packed basement with a well insulated and closed off ceiling. The fun just never ends!
post #7 of 7 Old May 30th, 2008, 5:30 pm
Cooler on the east coast!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yechave
Just a follow up to the project.

Only one supply house in the area had ANY of what I needed. They had THE very last and only one 4" PVC T fitting I HAD to have, been in the warehouse for years, #40 / 2" pipe with 4" corrugated on top of that, a couple hundred $ later, and we're just about done.

Two PVC joint failures....never had that happen in all the years I used to do this kind of work, way back when.

Had to drive 60 miles today for the electrical connectors. No one seemed to know what I was talking about....? Even with the print outs, no idea. Good thing Home Depot has a nice selection. Found a few new connectors I never saw before, bought a few just to see how they work.

Mice had eaten through both cables, and they had fused together at more than a few places. Should be able to finish the job next week.

Then, "the BOSS" says the computer needs to be moved, asap........more wiring, telephone jack and HSI cable routing, through an already over packed basement with a well insulated and closed off ceiling. The fun just never ends!
I feel your pain! Home ownership, or more accurate mortgage ownership , is so much fun....not!

G-Glove
2003 Silver LTC

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in