Two unrelated questions--337 out of Leakey and Green LTs - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old May 17th, 2008, 7:21 pm Thread Starter

Two unrelated questions--337 out of Leakey and Green LTs

1) I'm planning to ride to Austin on Father's Day weekend (yes, I know it's the ROT rally but I'm hoping to avoid that) and do a Hill Country ride with my son and son-in-law. Part of the route is east out of Leakey on 337 which my son-in-law reports is under construction for the first five miles. As an HD rider with about a year's experience, he opines that it's no problem; my son hasn't traveled it. Can anyone give me a better assessment of that stretch from the perspective of an LT rider?

2) Did a ride from El Paso to Ruidoso today (and got a rare riding in the rain experience without problems) to check out the Aspen Cash rally. The ride is a 60/40 split of boring 54 and scenic 70. The rally center was at the Ruidoso Convention Center and while I haven't attended any such events before, I was not awestruck, though it was fun people and bike watching (and I did get a good deal on two sets of gloves). Saw only one BMW R-series and one K12LT. But it was a shade of green, and my simplistic question is whether or not that was a stock color? I'd seen K11s of a similar hue but was unaware that K12s were also in that shade. (To be accurate, I did see a champagne K12 LT at a gas station in Tulerosa).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old May 17th, 2008, 10:37 pm

Re: Two unrelated questions--337 out of Leakey and Green LTs

In '02, BMW offered a "Tuscan Green" LT. Like the one below...

post #3 of 15 Old May 18th, 2008, 7:55 am

Last time I was out near Leakey was in Mar. At that time the road was hard packed dirt and rock. There was some lose stuff on it, and it was pretty rough. Just take it slow and you shouldn't have any problems.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'99K1200LT - "Bertha" - gone, but not forgotten!
'86 Concours - "Horse with no name" (under reconstructive surgery)
'06 K1200GT - "Road Rocket"
Marshall, Tx

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 15 Old May 19th, 2008, 10:41 am Thread Starter

Thanks for both of your replies. The Tuscan Green was strikingly different. And we'll just putter through the construction on 337; I'm told that the rest of the route will be more than worth it. I should note that I'll probably cop out and trailer the LT to Austin: a 550 mile trip on the nothingness that is I-10 between El Paso and the hill country would leave me less able to appreciate the next day's ride.
post #5 of 15 Old May 19th, 2008, 10:50 am

Reports I'm seeing are that 337 is still under construction as of this past weekend. Packed dirt/gravel, but traversable.

Dave
-2000 K1200LT
-------------------------------
Life's too short to ride ugly motorcycles
post #6 of 15 Old May 19th, 2008, 10:57 am

Make sure you hit 335, 336, & 337. Then take 31 back into Kerrville. Very nice ride along the Guadalupe River.

Marshall, Tx

post #7 of 15 Old May 19th, 2008, 11:25 am
Gold Supporter

A huge group of HD riders I run with just came back last night and said there is about 7 - 10 miles of packed dirt and rock, ruff, but not too hard to travel on if you go slow. It is worth the price of admission once you get past it though. The three twisted sisters, 31, and 16 south of Kerrville are all great runs.

Jerry
Look in the wolf's eyes and what do you see--A guardian spirit or fierce enemy?
2008 FLHTCU White Pearl

post #8 of 15 Old May 20th, 2008, 1:53 pm

I just got back from the weekend on the Three 3"s on a Green BMW. 337 is messed up for a few miles but we took it at 40mph with no problems. There were a few big rocks out but you can see them in plenty of time to scoot over. The rest of the road was great but I missed the scenery.
A must see in the Lone Star Motorcycle Museum just north or Vanderpool. Worth the $5.00 to get in and make sure you ask the guy questions about at least one bike. He knows a lot!

"BONES" <///><

2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."
post #9 of 15 Old May 20th, 2008, 3:18 pm Thread Starter

Cool! A Tuscan Green LT on 337. Thanks to all for their responses.
post #10 of 15 Old May 20th, 2008, 4:14 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljjohns
Cool! A Tuscan Green LT on 337. Thanks to all for their responses.
Yes, it was cool! Go enjoy the roads. 337 was the best of the three but the others are really fun. Watch the cattle guards on 336.

"BONES" <///><

2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."
post #11 of 15 Old May 20th, 2008, 6:50 pm

Glad you made it back ok, Bones. Y'all had a great weekend for that rally.

Sorry I missed ya Wendy's on your way back through.

Marshall, Tx

post #12 of 15 Old May 21st, 2008, 8:30 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwsdad
Glad you made it back ok, Bones. Y'all had a great weekend for that rally.

Sorry I missed ya Wendy's on your way back through.
Wow, it was funny how I can go just about anywhere and see someone I know. We'll do lunch another time. I hope the A/C is kicking well.

We had a GREAT time. It did rain on us Saturday and slowed us down a bit but the roads were great.

"BONES" <///><

2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

post #13 of 15 Old May 21st, 2008, 6:57 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibbones
Wow, it was funny how I can go just about anywhere and see someone I know. We'll do lunch another time. I hope the A/C is kicking well.

We had a GREAT time. It did rain on us Saturday and slowed us down a bit but the roads were great.
You stopped at my Wendy's and didn't call?!?!?!

Kick your butt next time I see you!!
post #14 of 15 Old May 22nd, 2008, 9:00 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick
You stopped at my Wendy's and didn't call?!?!?!

Kick your butt next time I see you!!
I looked for you but only found Doug. We waited for almost 15 minutes and then had to leave. Sigh, maybe if we had just stuck it out another 5 minuted.

"BONES" <///><

2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

post #15 of 15 Old May 22nd, 2008, 9:17 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibbones
I looked for you but only found Doug. We waited for almost 15 minutes and then had to leave. Sigh, maybe if we had just stuck it out another 5 minuted.
That's ok - I wuz without transportation anyway! Next time, instead of Wendy's - do the Cheesy Janes gig across the street and behind the Wells Fargo bank. Malts are mucho better than them Wendy's Frosties!!!

See you soon - share some chicken arms when you're in S. A. sometime. Got a place real close to the med center - just scream when you're here - and give me 20 minutes!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in