Poll: Price of gas in 2 years? - BMW Luxury Touring Community
View Poll Results: How much will regular gas cost in the USA in Spring 2010?
$3.00 6 6.82%
$3.50 6 6.82%
$4.00 4 4.55%
$4.50 8 9.09%
$5.00 6 6.82%
$5.50 14 15.91%
$6.00 11 12.50%
$6.50 5 5.68%
$7.00 8 9.09%
$7.50 6 6.82%
$8.00 3 3.41%
More than $8.00 11 12.50%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 Old May 16th, 2008, 10:09 am Thread Starter

Poll: Price of gas in 2 years?

I've been looking at new vehicles for the past few months and am trying to decide what to do. I think it might be time to give up the comfort of the large vehicles I have been driving for the last 20 years due to the increasing cost of fuel. Gas is close to $4.00 right now but I'm mostly concerned that in two years it will be $6.00 or more.

Any predictions for regular gasoling in the Spring of 2010 in the USA?

Kevin
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gas_prices.jpg
Views:	362
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	17906  

1999 K1200LT, patiently waiting for a new model.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Slave Cylinder Procedure->
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by kevincook; May 16th, 2008 at 10:19 am.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 Old May 16th, 2008, 6:00 pm

Re: Poll: Price of gas in 2 years?

It was 1.21 pounds per liter for reg unleaded in England yesterday

2011 BMW 1600GTL
2000 BMW R1100R
2008 Burgman 650EX
post #3 of 37 Old May 16th, 2008, 7:34 pm

I was just in Saudi Arabia and had the chance to be around some very high people in the government there. They are Hell Bent on taking the price of oil to $200 a barrell. I don't see that we can do much about it, unless we start drilling again in the US.

On a side note, I went looking for a new car and was supprised to see the posted MPG on the cars. The High was only 27mpg, and the sales person was all excited that it was so high. So, when did 27mpg become High? My old 96 Dodge Stratus got 43mpg on the highway. I even drove it from Shreveport Louisiana to Lubbock Texas on ONE tank of gas!!!

Jim
-------------------
2000 Canyon Red K1200LT (new to me)
1980 Susuki 850GL (given to my brother)

post #4 of 37 Old May 16th, 2008, 7:41 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

It'll keep going up, and we'll keep paying, and there's nothing that you can really do about it. Sure some folks will drive less, some will get smaller or more efficient cars, some will even start making biodiesel in their homes. And some will even take up motorcycles, or move back into the cities and closer to work.

But in the end, capitalism fails when one small group completely controls the supply, distribution, and sales of any commodity product.

Your best bet is to sell that huge SUV while you still can and buy oil stock with the cash.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #5 of 37 Old May 16th, 2008, 7:42 pm

The graph reminds me of NASDAQ pre the .COM bust... hmmmm

Mark
'07 RT
post #6 of 37 Old May 16th, 2008, 9:02 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevincook
I've been looking at new vehicles for the past few months and am trying to decide what to do. I think it might be time to give up the comfort of the large vehicles I have been driving for the last 20 years due to the increasing cost of fuel. Gas is close to $4.00 right now but I'm mostly concerned that in two years it will be $6.00 or more.

Any predictions for regular gasoling in the Spring of 2010 in the USA?

Kevin
Once Oil King George is out of office I think the price will stabilize around $3.00 a gallon.

http://www.whitehouse.org/initiative...k-it-to-me.asp

Last edited by Oisin; May 16th, 2008 at 9:17 pm.
post #7 of 37 Old May 16th, 2008, 9:03 pm Thread Starter

Well, I see from the poll that as a group we have no idea what is going to happen .

I was hoping that you guys had a crystal ball.

I just don't see how the US could ever reduce usage enough to compensate for the demand growth in China and India. The net result is increasing demand and prices.

The problem I have is that I don't think the fuel efficiency of any of the cars on the market is as good as it should be. I figure that if I am not going to be comfortable driving then the car better be at least getting 50mpg. Why would I want to be uncomfortable and get 28mpg.

I starting to think our best bet is going to be nuclear power and REALLY, REALLY good batteries. If we spent 100 billion a year developing batteries instead of protecting the middle east supply how good could the batteries be? I don't know, but I'm betting pretty good. We just blew 150 billion dollars on the stimulus checks and I doubt that is going to help much of anything.

Thanks,
Kevin

post #8 of 37 Old May 16th, 2008, 9:28 pm

Overheard at Wal*Mart...

Two women were discussing the price of gas. Both were LOUD and supporters of Obama. One said to the other, "As soon as Obama is president, I'm going to buy a Hummer. Not the big Hummer. The middle one. Obama will bring the gas prices down and I'll be able to buy all the gas I want."

"You're right about that", said the other one.

That was all I could stand, but before I shot my big mouth off, I walked away. Just goes to show you, people are not only gullable, they're stupid too! An Obama presidency would be an "Obamanation"! He'll paint the White House, yellow!

Lee
Y2K K1200 LT Canyon Red - Torn apart by a Bimmer 11-10-10. Sold to Saddleman to be reanimated.
2005 K1200 LT Ocean Blue
ATGATT
CCR 2009, CCR 2010, CCR 2012
IBA #39250
SS1000 - September 2009
BB1500 - September 2009
BMW MOA #167909
post #9 of 37 Old May 16th, 2008, 9:53 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee510
Overheard at Wal*Mart...

Two women were discussing the price of gas. Both were LOUD and supporters of Obama. One said to the other, "As soon as Obama is president, I'm going to buy a Hummer. Not the big Hummer. The middle one. Obama will bring the gas prices down and I'll be able to buy all the gas I want."

"You're right about that", said the other one.

That was all I could stand, but before I shot my big mouth off, I walked away. Just goes to show you, people are not only gullable, they're stupid too! An Obama presidency would be an "Obamanation"! He'll paint the White House, yellow!
They could be on to something. Eight years of Clinton meant eight years of low oil prices and a roaring economy. Oil King George takes the throne and the oil companies move into the Whitehouse. Coincidence--- maybe , but it sure is suspecious.

As far as Obama goes he is the best Republican the Wobblycrats could put forward. Oh! and he may be an oil man too, after all he is related to Cheney.

Sure miss those "cheap gas, " Clinton years though. I did not even think twiceabout the price of filling the motor home every day all week long. What a great time it was .

Last edited by Oisin; May 16th, 2008 at 10:51 pm.
post #10 of 37 Old May 17th, 2008, 1:43 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oisin
They could be on to something. Eight years of Clinton meant eight years of low oil prices and a roaring economy. Oil King George takes the throne and the oil companies move into the Whitehouse. Coincidence--- maybe , but it sure is suspecious.

As far as Obama goes he is the best Republican the Wobblycrats could put forward. Oh! and he may be an oil man too, after all he is related to Cheney.

Sure miss those "cheap gas, " Clinton years though. I did not even think twiceabout the price of filling the motor home every day all week long. What a great time it was .

You are on the bright side
The other side can neither count nor can they analyze or even remember , the numbers is so openly clear that it is like night and day.

You are right on your comments. It is like the republican presidents http://www.juliantrubin.com/imagesb/bushorchimp.jpg have a contest about who can spend the most and leave the most debt and disray to the next democrat president.

2003 K1200LTE Impala Brown
1991 Kawazaki 1000 LTD US 1983 (sold)
1987 Suzuki GSX 1100 1982 (sold)
1985 Suzuki GS 650 LTD 1982 (sold)
1979 3xKawazaki z 100 lt 1979 (sold)
1979 Vespa 50 Scooter 1968 (Given away)

Member of BMW Mottorrad club of Norway
Member Senior MC, Norway
Supporting Member (BMWLT.com)

Last edited by paalao; May 17th, 2008 at 2:01 am.
post #11 of 37 Old May 17th, 2008, 10:25 am

What we are not discussing here are the taxes that countries add on to the price of the refined oil.

If they were REALLY worried about the effect high fuel prices had on the economy, they could always drop them and charge the taxpayer in other ways.

Until they do, or guestimate that the public is still willing to pay more money to get from A to B, you can bet that the oil producing contries will come to the same conclusion as well.
post #12 of 37 Old May 17th, 2008, 1:44 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by paalao
You are on the bright side
The other side can neither count nor can they analyze or even remember , the numbers is so openly clear that it is like night and day.

You are right on your comments. It is like the republican presidents http://www.juliantrubin.com/imagesb/bushorchimp.jpg have a contest about who can spend the most and leave the most debt and disray to the next democrat president.
I agree, but can we add death as well as "debt?"

However, I do not think a Wobblycrat president will ,make any difference at this point, as there is not an ounce of difference in the ideologies of any of the elites looking to occupy the throne in the Washington D.C.

I guess one has to be on the outside looking in, otherwise the general citizenry just become obedient, disciplined and passive. In this model the citizenry are so co-opted into the system that they cannot speak out. In essence, they become sheep willing unquestionably follow the shepard anywhere.
post #13 of 37 Old May 17th, 2008, 3:45 pm

As far as I know, Obama was a Muslim who converted to Christianity. If that is true, how do you suppose the Muslim world will treat him? Not only will they see him as an infadel, but a traitor to the believers and Alah.

Don Mosley MSgt, USAF, Retired
Colorado Springs, CO
05 K1200LT, 06 F650GS

post #14 of 37 Old May 18th, 2008, 6:51 pm Thread Starter

Well we obviously can't come to much of a concensus about the future price of gasoline but it looks like $5.50/gallon is getting the most votes so far.

Boy is that going to hurt.

These prices are definitely going to hurt rural America the most. Any place where people have to drive for their job and their is no mass transit system.

Kevin

post #15 of 37 Old May 18th, 2008, 9:32 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOSLEYDS
Not only will they see him as an infadel, but a traitor to the believers and Alah.
You mean the same way they see most non-Muslims now? Personally, I have a lot of respect for someone who has actually lived outside the US and understands that the rest of the world is never gonna think the same way that we do, and who's primary foreign policy isn't bombing them into submission. That has never worked and it never will, no matter how much cash and how many lives we waste trying to prove it.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #16 of 37 Old May 19th, 2008, 3:32 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
You mean the same way they see most non-Muslims now? Personally, I have a lot of respect for someone who has actually lived outside the US and understands that the rest of the world is never gonna think the same way that we do, and who's primary foreign policy isn't bombing them into submission. That has never worked and it never will, no matter how much cash and how many lives we waste trying to prove it.

2003 K1200LTE Impala Brown
1991 Kawazaki 1000 LTD US 1983 (sold)
1987 Suzuki GSX 1100 1982 (sold)
1985 Suzuki GS 650 LTD 1982 (sold)
1979 3xKawazaki z 100 lt 1979 (sold)
1979 Vespa 50 Scooter 1968 (Given away)

Member of BMW Mottorrad club of Norway
Member Senior MC, Norway
Supporting Member (BMWLT.com)
post #17 of 37 Old May 19th, 2008, 10:13 am

Question Re: Poll: Price of gas in 2 years?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevincook
Well, I see from the poll that as a group we have no idea what is going to happen .
I was hoping that you guys had a crystal ball.

The problem I have is that I don't think the fuel efficiency of any of the cars on the market is as good as it should be. I figure that if I am not going to be comfortable driving then the car better be at least getting 50mpg. Why would I want to be uncomfortable and get 28mpg.
Kevin
Kevin,
If we a crystal ball we would'n be wasting or time here!
FWIW current crude is trading around $125 (steady for the day), two years out is $124 (up over $3 for the day), you can buy a Dec. 2016 contract at $125.17 (steady).

What does this mean? Squat! I voted $3.50!

Several months ago in Phoenix Mr. Hertz loaned me a Toyota Pre-ass. Actually it was a great little car. Plenty of headroom (I'm 6'3''), very comfortable with room for four. This thing was a cross between a auto, golf cart, and laptop!
I drove it like I stole it! 51 mpg, really shines in traffic jams. Disclaimer: I have no stock in Toyota nor do I plan to purchase one. Just the unbiased facts. Side bar: Jury still out on increased pollution due to mining the nickel that goes into it's batteries.

Norris Cooper Andover Kansas USA
06 K1200GT
93 K1100RS
post #18 of 37 Old May 22nd, 2008, 4:20 pm

Cool Re: Poll: Price of gas in 2 years?

Looks like gas will go up sharply this week. $5.00 a gallon by 1 July.
It may drop back down to $4.00 in the Fall. By then, the oil companies will have the people convinced that $4.00 is a bargain. remember the good old days when gas was only $3.00 a gallon?

Colorado Springs, CO
05 K1200LT, 06 F650GS

post #19 of 37 Old May 22nd, 2008, 6:48 pm

Quote:
Looks like gas will go up sharply this week. $5.00 a gallon by 1 July.
It may drop back down to $4.00 in the Fall. By then, the oil companies will have the people convinced that $4.00 is a bargain. remember the good old days when gas was only $3.00 a gallon?

I doubt we will see $5.00 this year. I'm hoping it will start dropping after Memorial day and be back between 2.50 and 3.00 by the fall; just in time for the election.
Maybe I'm an eternal optimist, but I have a hard time believing the oil companies are being allowed to run the show.
post #20 of 37 Old May 22nd, 2008, 7:15 pm

Question Re: Poll: Price of gas in 2 years?

I can't think of anything the democrate controlled congress has done to prove they are not allowing the oil compnies to do as they please.

Colorado Springs, CO
05 K1200LT, 06 F650GS

post #21 of 37 Old May 22nd, 2008, 8:39 pm
Bouncer

Quote:
I can't think of anything the democrate controlled congress has done to prove they are not allowing the oil compnies to do as they please.
Guys guys guys. The oil companies have VERY LITTLE to do with the price of oil or gas at the pump. They make a very convenient scapegoat. The two factors driving the price at the pump: Demand and the dollar in the toilet. Period.

If a retailer or manufacturer posted margins of 6-7%, Wall Street would crucify them for being such a poor performer. Oil Companies run at a 6.8% profit margin. The insane amounts that paltry 6.8% represents is because we're addicted to gas like a drug addict is to heroin. Kick in demand from China and India (which represent 3/4ths the earth's population) with a growing middle class who want to have 2 cars in every garage, and there's nothing stopping the price from topping out at $10 or even $15 per gallon. Accounting the current weakness of the dollar on world currency markets, it's not going to get any better.

Until we accept the fact that we need something other than oil to run our SUVs, motorcycles, and other cars, we're only screwing ourselves. So next time you want to blame someone for the price of gas at the pump, take a look in the mirror. We're the ones to blame -- at least until we do something about it and change our behavior.

'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue

"I am hoping for an asteroid impact to put all this climate change nonsense to bed."
-
post #22 of 37 Old May 23rd, 2008, 12:04 am

6 TO 7 percent margin perhaps, but now they are making record profits as disclosed at congressional hearings. Saudi Arabia says they are producing the amount of oil their customers (oil companies) are asking for and buying.
If that is true, then it is the oil compnies that are controlling the supply.

And, as I see it this congress has done nothing to promote conservation,
develope alternatives, or develope known US controlled oil fields.

Colorado Springs, CO
05 K1200LT, 06 F650GS

post #23 of 37 Old May 23rd, 2008, 3:29 am

http://money.cnn.com/2008/02/01/news...xxon_earnings/

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...h-company.html

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/742258.stm
BP Amoco posted record first-quarter profit of $2.71bn, up 256% from the same period last year, as a result of higher oil and gas prices

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl.../BU6AUQMT9.DTL

Don't tell me they aren't making a killing off of the consumer and they aren't talking any 6.8%
post #24 of 37 Old May 23rd, 2008, 8:12 am

We bought Chevron stock a few years back and while gas prices rise, so does the value of our stock. Last night after a recap of increase in stock value and dividends received, it looks like we've had free gas for the last three years and will for the next few unless...??

Allan..Illinois, Oregon, Arkansas, and tomorrow the Universe
2003 K1200LT trike - Starfighter
2004 R1150RTP - Combat Touring
IBA #38152
BMW-MOA 97667
Patriot Guard Riders
...and man of leisure

post #25 of 37 Old May 23rd, 2008, 9:23 am

Question Price of gas in 2 years? What is wrong with making a profit?

Quote:
6 TO 7 percent margin perhaps, but now they are making record profits as disclosed at congressional hearings.

And, as I see it this congress has done nothing to promote conservation,
develope alternatives, or develope known US controlled oil fields.
Don,
Thank you for your service to our country!

Please explain the problem with making a profit?
Who do you think owns these big oil companies?

I have owned a small interest in an oil/natural gas well for over 30 years. Many of those years it just barely paid the pumper's expenses. Many of those years it made a few dollars (literally). The last two years it has make some good profits; "record profits"! Enough that I might consider reinvesting back into the energy sector.

My cattle are losing money. Will the government make up the loss for me? When the cattle market comes back will I be accused of record profits?

It is up to us, we the people, to conserve. It is our responsibility to vote those life time politicians out of office!!!! Have you seen the video of the pitiful Sen. Byrd?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rOZz...eature=related

06 K1200GT
93 K1100RS
post #26 of 37 Old May 23rd, 2008, 9:59 am

Re: Price of gas in 2 years? What is wrong with making a profit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by norriscooper
Don,
Thank you for your service to our country!

Please explain the problem with making a profit?
Who do you think owns these big oil companies?

I have owned a small interest in an oil/natural gas well for over 30 years. Many of those years it just barely paid the pumper's expenses. Many of those years it made a few dollars (literally). The last two years it has make some good profits; "record profits"! Enough that I might consider reinvesting back into the energy sector.

My cattle are losing money. Will the government make up the loss for me? When the cattle market comes back will I be accused of record profits?

It is up to us, we the people, to conserve. It is our responsibility to vote those life time politicians out of office!!!! Have you seen the video of the pitiful Sen. Byrd?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rOZz...eature=related

06 K1200GT
93 K1100RS
There is nothing wrong with making a profit. That is what our country is all about.
It looks to me that the sharp rise in fuel prices the last few years is nothing more than price gouging. It started with Katrina. Fuel jumped to $3.00 a gallon within just a couple weeks or less of that event. Once people got used to fuel at that price, the oil companies have steadily tacked on more and more.
As for your cattle, if fuel prices continues to climb, you won't be able to feed or transport them at a bearable cost. Not to mention that cattle feed is being turned into ethanol. Also, I don't know, but I wouldn't be surprised if there isn't something in a Farm Bill that that will help you out with your cattle investment. Also, since you are a farmer/rancher, you probably get some sort of government compensation for your fuel costs.

As the price of food goes up along with the price of fuel, you might want to purchase a winchester lever action rifle and a colt peacemaker. It won't be long before the rustlers start swiping your cows.

But not to worry. I have an F650GS to get me around while the cost of fuel gets ever higher.

Colorado Springs, CO
05 K1200LT, 06 F650GS

post #27 of 37 Old May 23rd, 2008, 10:37 am

Angry Re: Price of gas in 2 years? What is wrong with making a profit?

Quote:
As for your cattle, if fuel prices continues to climb, you won't be able to feed or transport them at a bearable cost. Not to mention that cattle feed is being turned into ethanol. Also, I don't know, but I wouldn't be surprised if there isn't something in a Farm Bill that that will help you out with your cattle investment. Also, since you are a farmer/rancher, you probably get some sort of government compensation for your fuel costs.
Dan,
That is the problem right now.

Ranchers get NO compensation from the government, not for fuel or anything. And we don't deserve any! Neither do the farmers! It is vote buying pure and simple. "Walfare for the rich" as one of my farming friends calls it. Vote these bastards out, this year!

Norris
post #28 of 37 Old May 23rd, 2008, 10:45 am

Norris,
That surprises me. As a kid, I grew up in southern New Mexico. Ranchers could buy bulk fuel with no fed or state tax applied. Of couse that was about the time of Billy The Kid.

I see you are in the land of Oz. Got any good pheasant hunting there? hint hint

Colorado Springs, CO
05 K1200LT, 06 F650GS

post #29 of 37 Old May 23rd, 2008, 1:28 pm

Smile Re: Poll: Price of gas in 2 years?

Quote:
Norris,
That surprises me. As a kid, I grew up in southern New Mexico. Ranchers could buy bulk fuel with no fed or state tax applied. Of couse that was about the time of Billy The Kid.

I see you are in the land of Oz. Got any good pheasant hunting there? hint hint
Don,
No tax diesel fuel is for off road use only, mainly for tractors. It's a different color. Don't get caught using it in a pickup truck that leaves the ranch.

Not to many pheasants in Eastern Kansas. Lots of them in Western Kansas because of the Conservation Reserve Program (just google CRP). Basically us tax payers pay a land owner NOT to grow crops on marginal land. This was started when commodity prices were low. Many of these pieces of land were planted to native grasses then leased out to hunters. The CRP payments were enough to make the land payments.

Billy the Kid? You must have been in the Horse Calvary!

06 K1200GT
93 K1100RS
post #30 of 37 Old May 23rd, 2008, 2:30 pm

Unhappy Re: Price of gas in 2 years? What is wrong with making a profit?

Quote:
Dan,
That is the problem right now.

Ranchers get NO compensation from the government, not for fuel or anything. And we don't deserve any! Neither do the farmers! It is vote buying pure and simple. "Walfare for the rich" as one of my farming friends calls it. Vote these bastards out, this year!

Norris
Then it must really upset you when you hear that the oil companies got 19 billion dollars in tax breaks last year! What do we get for giving these people these kind of tax incentives?
There was a time when most corporations would do the right thing. You give them tax incentives they would invest in our country via jobs, technology, etc. It sure doesn't appear to be happening anymore.
post #31 of 37 Old May 23rd, 2008, 3:19 pm

Smile Re: Price of gas in 2 years? What is wrong with making a profit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nplenzick
Then it must really upset you when you hear that the oil companies got 19 billion dollars in tax breaks last year! What do we get for giving these people these kind of tax incentives?
There was a time when most corporations would do the right thing. You give them tax incentives they would invest in our country via jobs, technology, etc. It sure doesn't appear to be happening anymore.
Nick,
We get congressional investigations! That's what we get. And if your an investor you get a dividend.
Please tell me what you think they do with the tax breaks.

Taxing corporations: they just pass it on to the consumer, they should all get tax breaks. Besides who owns these oil companies? Investors in most cases including myself.
They are spending money on R&D. Example http://www.bp.com/modularhome.do?categoryId=7010
Would this be considered doing the right thing?

Oil companies would drill and invest more if the government would let them.
And they do create jobs, an oil company hired my son away from me (yea) and even better my daughter was hired by an evil drug company. That's more money in my motorcycle slush fund!

Norris "oil fatcat" Cooper
06 K1200GT
93 K1100RS
post #32 of 37 Old May 23rd, 2008, 4:45 pm

Thumbs up Re: Poll: Price of gas in 2 years?

Quote:
Originally Posted by STARFIGHTER
We bought Chevron stock a few years back and while gas prices rise, so does the value of our stock. Last night after a recap of increase in stock value and dividends received, it looks like we've had free gas for the last three years and will for the next few unless...??
Wow! This was a very smart move. How much stock would I have to have bought to keep my motor home on the road all summer.
post #33 of 37 Old May 23rd, 2008, 5:10 pm

Re: Price of gas in 2 years? What is wrong with making a profit?

Quote:
Nick,
We get congressional investigations! That's what we get. And if your an investor you get a dividend.
Please tell me what you think they do with the tax breaks.

Taxing corporations: they just pass it on to the consumer, they should all get tax breaks. Besides who owns these oil companies? Investors in most cases including myself.
They are spending money on R&D. Example http://www.bp.com/modularhome.do?categoryId=7010
Would this be considered doing the right thing?

Oil companies would drill and invest more if the government would let them.
And they do create jobs, an oil company hired my son away from me (yea) and even better my daughter was hired by an evil drug company. That's more money in my motorcycle slush fund!

Norris "oil fatcat" Cooper
06 K1200GT
93 K1100RS
I asked you first, so what do we get for the 19 billion dollars in tax breaks?
I didn't mention anything about taxing corporations you did.
If the oil companies are doing so well I don't feel the need to subsidize them or their stock holders. Let them and their stock holders take all the risks.

I've been a small business owner for 20+ years now, I get pretty much zero from the Federal Government. Yet a large Pharmaceutical Company near me named Merck gets many tax breaks in the disguise that they will create more jobs. So what do they when they look at a major expansion? They build it in another country!

I didn't see it on TV but a friend of mine did. She was watching an interview with the CEO of DOW chemical. He explained that he had no intention what so ever to create jobs here or invest money back into this country. His financial obligation was only too it's stock holders and the company. He will continue that until the government tells him differently.

Hershey chocolate is moving from Hershey, Pa to Mexico. Are they moving because their losing money here in Pennsylvania? Nope, but they can make more money in Mexico. So 3000 people lose there jobs for what?

Here's a quote for you " I was lucky to be born in a time and place where society values my talent, and gave me a good education to develop that talent, set up laws and the financial system to let me do what I love doing-and making a lot of money doing it. The least I can do is help pay for all of that" Warren Buffet.

Being patriotic is more then waving a flag.

Some of you know I'm connected with Roadgear and some of you have met the CEO Mansoor Shafi at a rally or show. This 5' 4" U.S. Citizen, x Manhattan banker, born in Pakistan stands 10' tall in my eyes. He wants as many products made in this country for Roadgear as he can possibly get made. That's called investing in your country.

Two years ago I got into a heated argument with another vendor. He was using his motorhome headlight assembly as an example since he had to replace it after damaging it. He was crowing about how much money he saved since his new headlight was made in Mexico and he could care less how many people they put out of work because of it! After all look at all the money he saved! He couldn't grasp what I was saying about " look around you, do you think these people are going to buy our products if their flipping burgers somewhere? He just could care less, the only thing he was concerned about was himself.

We rise and fall together my friend.

Last edited by nplenzick; May 23rd, 2008 at 8:38 pm.
post #34 of 37 Old May 23rd, 2008, 6:14 pm

Red face Re: Price of gas in 2 years? What is wrong with making a profit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nplenzick
****Edited to save bandwith.****
Nick,
All good points. Your making my head hurt!
Perhaps you saw my thread

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36187

I have been in small business all my life. One of the things I ask of my government is for a level playing field. This country was built on free trade not tax breaks, not entitlements.
To sum it up there is alot we can do personally but pointing blame at oil executives is a waste of time.

As we type, my industry (beef cattle) is trying to get back into the Korean market. Since 12-23-03 when BSE was found in a cow (imported from Canada BTW) foreign markets have blocked imports of American beef. We have had two cases total. The Koreans buy their beef from Australia which has had no reported cases of BSE, because they don't test for it. There is a packing plant here in Kansas that wants to test every animal they slaughter for BSE, our government steps in and says no. There should be hearings (tongue in cheek).

You talk about buying American but since your on this forum you probably have a German motorcycle-- as do I. Side bar: Europe is another market that is difficult for my industry to get into.

I have purchased several items from Roadgear, lets see, the tire gauge was made in China and the gloves were made in Pakistan. Although there is a 30% chance the leather might have come from the USA.

But this was about the price of oil. I am going for a ride later today, waste a little gas which is cheaper than going to a therapist! I am glad I can go down to the gas station, slide my plastic, and pump my tank full. Thank you big oil! Thank you BMW!

As a prominent oil man once told me "Nothing will alleviate an oil shortage faster than high prices."

Everyone go eat a steak this Memorial Day weekend!

Norris "bottom line" Cooper Andover Kansas USA
06 K1200GT
93 K1100RS
post #35 of 37 Old May 23rd, 2008, 8:10 pm

All of Roadgears luggage including tank bags, saddle bags, tail bags, jumbo haulers, map holders, tool pouches and also the Outlast jacket, Outlast vest, bike covers and Coconut socks are made here.

I'm not advocating isolationism.
I too just want a fair playing field. I think that's all any business owner wants it's just I feel the last few years something has come askew in favor of large corporations.
Yes I own a LT and a V Strom, maybe someday an American manufacture will build a bike that's not a V Twin and something I would be interested in.

Your industry seems too be a perfect example of a USA product getting screwed. This is where you need strong leadership an negotiation skills to put pressure on the Koreans. Something like we stop importing your cars until you start importing our beef.

I wish I could afford a steak this weekend but I hear there could be winds up to 10 mph in the the Gulf of Mexico and this may very well delay oil shipments by as much as 15 minutes there by sending the price of oil up another $5.00 . We will have some hamburgers though, I hope that helps you out!

Last edited by nplenzick; May 23rd, 2008 at 8:36 pm.
post #36 of 37 Old May 23rd, 2008, 9:22 pm

Thumbs up Re: Poll: Price of gas in 2 years?

Nick,
Burgers help but steak in better, rare. If you come by I will grill one for you.
BTW Prime filet mignon is $22.00 per pound, The animal it comes from is $0.95 per pound!
We need someone like Mansoor Shafi to head up the negations, seriously!
I showed those Koreans, I bought an American car, well 80% American!

Coconut socks? I had to look those up. Will the size 12-15 actually fit my big size 15 feet? I know they will fit in my mouth!

Norris
post #37 of 37 Old May 24th, 2008, 6:17 am

Actually if diesel fuel wasn't threw the roof I would take you up on your offer and stop by on our way to the BMW MOA in Gillette, WY. I'd love to see how a cattle ranch works.

Mansoor is the type of person who makes one realize how lucky you are to be born in this country. He's optimistic view of this country is infectious. Hitlers great grandson could be president and I'm sure he would say " Nick don't worry, everything will be fine, it's the United States of America the greatest country on earth". When I bought my V Strom recently I was concerned about the purchase of a non ABS Strom since the ABS ones have been sold out. I ran this by Mansoor, his reply " Nick, if you wake up in the morning thinking your going to die, why bother waking up" . What a guy!

We'll buy some steaks on our trip to Wyoming this summer. I'll also purchase some Buffalo burgers to take home. Haven't had any for sometime and there's nothing more American then Buffalo!

Yes the coconut socks should fit your feet as they stretch quit a bit. Come up to Gillette and I'll trade you some socks for some tasty Kansas steaks!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in