Got myself a new toy.... - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old May 8th, 2008, 8:57 pm Thread Starter

Got myself a new toy....

For playing out in the desert.

It's a 2005 Jeep Rubicon, 20K miles, mint condition, that I bought from a housewife in Phoenix. Always garaged, and never been off-road. I'm pretty excited about it, as you can tell.

That's the original rubber there, btw.

Yeah, I know. I should have gotten a GS, and maybe I still will some day. But this baby serves a different function. It'll haul me, my camera gear, and occasionally the family out into the deserts, mines and ghost towns of Arizona. And it'll take me places that I'll never have the skill to ride to, especially when I finish farkeling it out. BTW, you think farkels for bikes are expensive, you wouldn't believe what you can spend on outfitting a Jeep.

Cheers, and thanks for looking.

-joel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old May 8th, 2008, 9:02 pm

Re: Got myself a new toy....

Man Joel, that is a sweet lookin' ride! Congrats on the find. If that has the old straight 6 in it, it'll run forever. My son put 325,000 miles (not a typo) on his!

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
CCR-R: 2018, Russellville
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
Sold but "beloved" ride: K12 LT - "Pepe"
IBA #31242 (SSx2, BB, BBG)
MOA #136148

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
post #3 of 10 Old May 8th, 2008, 9:14 pm

Ah, beautiful Kingman! It looks like the area my niece lives in.

'07 - R1200RT Slippery Silver

MOA #107139
RA #28511

Past rides:
'03 R1150RT - MAXed out
'03 K1200LTC - Gone to the Darko side
'00 Kawasaki Concours - Buzz
'71 Honda SL350 - The original dual-sport
'72 Kawasaki 250 triple - The smoking gun
'67 Montgomery Wards 125 - Thrashed to death

post #4 of 10 Old May 8th, 2008, 11:53 pm
BMW Guru

That is too cool Joel. I may be buying this one next week. I'll keep ya posted

2007 G650 X Challenge
2006 GT200
2005 R1200GS

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 10 Old May 9th, 2008, 12:13 am
Ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWphreak
It is beautiful, but it can get VERY windy. Went thru there April 19 about 2:30 PM and man it was blowing - I'm guessing 30 - 40 mph crosswinds - not fun .

But that jeep looks fun - very nice, Joel - very nice indeed!

Ted

Camarillo, CA
2012 Ducati Multistrada 1200S - Red
2007 R1200S - Black - Sold
2003 K1200LTC - Silver - Sold
IBA# 16554

post #6 of 10 Old May 9th, 2008, 3:55 am
IBR# 366

Garage

Let's see, that's 3 new Jeeps, so I guess that Raffy is next. I'm thinking that he'd better sell some lights.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #7 of 10 Old May 9th, 2008, 7:39 am

Joel! Way to go!!! Congrats man.
Jeeps! Ya gotta love em!

Nothing runs like a Jeep.

My buddy has an '86 that is built to the hilt. I love riding in that thing. I can't wait to own my own ... when the time is right. Probably when I move south.

A Jeep AND a bike in the garage . . . LIFE IS GOOD! And your girls are going to have a blast as well.
post #8 of 10 Old May 9th, 2008, 9:05 am Thread Starter

Thanks for all the comments, guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hallzee
Man Joel, that is a sweet lookin' ride! Congrats on the find. If that has the old straight 6 in it, it'll run forever. My son put 325,000 miles (not a typo) on his!
Thanks, Brian. Yeah, it's got the venerable in-line 6. They finally switched to a V6 in the 2007 and 2008 models, and everybody is lamenting the death of the I6. Wow, 325K miles is tremendous mileage. Kudos for your son!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWphreak
I'm in southeast Kingman, near Hualapai Mountain (you can see it in the background in my first pic). Gimmee a holler next time you make it out this way. Your old windshield misses you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveDragon
Nice find! It looks pristine lucky bastage
I'm so trying to get past the New (fill in the blank) Fever!

I spent a lot of time in Jeeps in the Army, back in the 70's.
I have always been on the look out for just the right deal as well, just not looking hard enough I suppose.

Two mil vehicles I wanted were the Jeep & a Gama Goat.
I always loved spraying on-coming targets in traffic with the output of the engine compartment bilge pump. A well timed pulse of the pump switch could paint a target vehicle with bilge sludge with no over spray on the ground ahead or behind the target.
Thank you sir. Interesting vehicle, that Gama Goat. Had I known about them before I got the Jeep.... ;-)

Actually, there's a wild animal park just outside of town called Keeper's of the Wild. They have an old Swiss Army vehicle they use for tours that looks quite similar to the Goat. Pretty awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Shred
That is too cool Joel. I may be buying this one next week. I'll keep ya posted
Ooohhh, an Unlimited Hardtop. I resisted the temptation to get an unlimited, and opted for the smaller standard body instead to be able to get into smaller places. We've still got the Suburban when we need to haul the whole family plus luggage. That blue one looks really clean. It's just crying for some more aggressive rubber though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted
It is beautiful, but it can get VERY windy. Went thru there April 19 about 2:30 PM and man it was blowing - I'm guessing 30 - 40 mph crosswinds - not fun .

But that jeep looks fun - very nice, Joel - very nice indeed!
Thanks, Ted. Wind storms are part of the price you pay living out in the desert. I'd say we get one windstorm like that a week on the average. Although, this has been an especially windy spring. At least it doesn't rain all the time like it does back east.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
Let's see, that's 3 new Jeeps, so I guess that Raffy is next. I'm thinking that he'd better sell some lights.
Hmmm, maybe we'll start a JCR (Jeep Cowboy Reunion) . So that's me and Ted, but who's the third?

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
Joel! Way to go!!! Congrats man.
Jeeps! Ya gotta love em!

Nothing runs like a Jeep.

My buddy has an '86 that is built to the hilt. I love riding in that thing. I can't wait to own my own ... when the time is right. Probably when I move south.

A Jeep AND a bike in the garage . . . LIFE IS GOOD! And your girls are going to have a blast as well.
Thanks, man! I was hoping you'd see this thread. Being an ATV man like you are, I knew you'd understand. And yes, Life Is Good.

Cheers,
-joel
post #9 of 10 Old May 9th, 2008, 1:12 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog
Hmmm, maybe we'll start a JCR (Jeep Cowboy Reunion) . So that's me and Ted, but who's the third?
Nathan picked one up a few months ago, and I hear that Hal may not be far behind.

Jeeps are awesome. I learned to drive in a '69 CJ5 when I was 13 way out in the desert where you couldn't hit anything. I had some trouble reaching the pedals, but got the same grin as I do riding bikes these days. My family spent a lot of time thrashing around Pismo Beach and Glamis back in the 70's. Learned a lot about repairing them, too. I'll pick up one of my own one of these days.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #10 of 10 Old May 9th, 2008, 8:59 pm

Thats a great find!
I've been itching for a Rubicon for some time myself.

J.E.E.P

also known as...Just Empty Every Pocket

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in