Best commencement address ever - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old May 7th, 2008, 6:58 am Thread Starter

Best commencement address ever

An honest attempt at a commencement address.

http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/la-op-orourke4-2008may04,0,3597821,full.story

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Chick

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Saved by Grace -- Ephesians 2:8-9

2005 Graphite LT

BMWMOA #118809

NRA Life Member

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old May 7th, 2008, 11:50 am

Re: Best commencement address ever

This was an excellent message. I should snope it. These are often fabricated. I first saw this on Digg and was looking at some of the comments. Most diggers liked it too, but there were those who believed that making money, at least a lot of it, is evil. In their view, wealth is fixed, and if you get more of it, you took it from someone else.

The reality is that wealth is theoretically infinite, but there are practical limitations since we don't have an infinite amount of resources (mostly labor), or an infinite # of hours in a day to create wealth, and even if we did, the government would grow to be infinite in size and suck all that wealth down a hole anyway.

When a government takes over a people’s economic life it becomes absolute, and when it has become absolute it destroys the arts, the minds, the liberties and the meaning of the people it governs.
- Maxwell Anderson

Bob
2007 K1200GT
post #3 of 6 Old May 7th, 2008, 5:37 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobnoxous
. . . and even if we did, the government would grow to be infinite in size and suck all that wealth down a hole anyway.
Would? Don't you mean is?

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...

post #4 of 6 Old May 7th, 2008, 9:29 pm

Hell, I'm 50 years old, and not nearly as cynical as the idiot who gave that address. I can't imagine how an idealistic college graduate would view that speech (if it truly WAS delivered, rather than an urban legend) in any way other than with outright contempt.
post #5 of 6 Old May 7th, 2008, 9:56 pm

May I suggest a re-read of the title on the link...?

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #6 of 6 Old May 8th, 2008, 11:16 am

that actually sounds like something P.J. would say. Hes a hippie at heart.

F

BMWMOA
12 GTL

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in