Carrier PBS series - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old May 4th, 2008, 6:26 pm Thread Starter

Carrier PBS series

I did 22 years USN. One of my career goals was to NOT get assigned to a carrier. (Who wants to drive circles in the Indian Ocean for 6 months?)

I have a neighbor who was a Navy bubble-head nuke and we were talking about the PBS series "Carrier".

We both agreed it was good watching.

If you haven't seen any of it, it is worth checking out. Carrier flight ops, that is cool stuff!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old May 4th, 2008, 6:34 pm

Re: Carrier PBS series

Wife and I watched the whole series, we both thought it was good even with the same 5 or 6 little"I don't understand why we are here" guys.

D.Kinsey
Santa Fe, Tx.
15 R1200RT
13 Ducati Panigale Tricolore
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

12 Ducati Diavel Carbon(SOLD)
08 K1200LT (born 12/19/07)(SOLD)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

09 Triumph Sprint ST...RED(SOLD)
00 K1200LT Custom Painted(SOLD)
post #3 of 7 Old May 4th, 2008, 6:48 pm
Bouncer

I have mixed feelings about the show. The company I work for, CSC, was the primary sponsor. So I went out of my way to catch the program. I watched the first couple episodes and had mixed feelings about what I felt were stories of "if it weren't for the Navy, I'd be in jail (on drugs, dead, etc.)".

My feelings are mixed because I think the Navy can offer a lot to someone who's life is approaching a dead end or otherwise appear to have no way out of the circle of dread they might be living. The Navy offers wonderful opportunities for education, training, and provides much of the discipline many of these kids seem to desire/need.

On the other hand, I felt the program dwelled too much with these folks, giving the impression (at least to me) that our military is full of kids escaping a dead end life in the military. Having known many Naval Officers and Enlisted Men and Women, I know this is not the case. I felt this program catered to the drama of reality television rather than a true day-in-the-life of Navy personnel.

'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue

"I am hoping for an asteroid impact to put all this climate change nonsense to bed."
-

post #4 of 7 Old May 4th, 2008, 8:31 pm

As an Army brat who has lived on Army and Navy bases around the world, I've been watching this series with some interest. El Jeffe described my feelings to a "t".

I'd like to think that every one of the 5,000+ sailors on a carrier (or any other military facility) is there for all the right reasons, but it just can't be that way. Too bad.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #5 of 7 Old May 5th, 2008, 5:20 am Thread Starter

Your comments are well stated and on the mark.
I haven't seen every episode, but became tired of the emphasis on the emotional traumas of family separation and on the "trials" of immature kids who came to the Navy with few other options, but that is the real Navy. Naval Service does a lot of good for some of those immature individuals, others just "flunk out".
I sat on admin discharge boards during my careeer as part to the process of culling out the really undesirables who make it in. That part of the Navy wasn't shown in episodes I saw. Captain's Mast and NJP proceedings: almost every port call for a ship that size creates legal problems because of bad behavior by some sailor(s) on the beach.
That is the true underbelly of the service. I recall a Commanding Officer I served as a Department Head for telling me: "I never thought of the Navy as an alternative to Welfare until I came to this ship." He was an Annapolis Grad and "grew up" in submarines. It wasn't until he took command of a surface ship (SubTender) that he had to deal with surface sailors. My point is that the communities are different, when you work across the communities and see the big picture, it isn't all nice and neat and professional. But it is the reality.

What I really enjoyed about the series was seeing the flight ops, the technology, the professionalism of the folks who get the job done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljeffe
I have mixed feelings about the show. The company I work for, CSC, was the primary sponsor. So I went out of my way to catch the program. I watched the first couple episodes and had mixed feelings about what I felt were stories of "if it weren't for the Navy, I'd be in jail (on drugs, dead, etc.)".

My feelings are mixed because I think the Navy can offer a lot to someone who's life is approaching a dead end or otherwise appear to have no way out of the circle of dread they might be living. The Navy offers wonderful opportunities for education, training, and provides much of the discipline many of these kids seem to desire/need.

On the other hand, I felt the program dwelled too much with these folks, giving the impression (at least to me) that our military is full of kids escaping a dead end life in the military. Having known many Naval Officers and Enlisted Men and Women, I know this is not the case. I felt this program catered to the drama of reality television rather than a true day-in-the-life of Navy personnel.
post #6 of 7 Old May 6th, 2008, 12:08 pm

I did catch a couple of episodes and was very intrigue about the whole thing until the they focused on the guy from OK and how he just wanted out and used racism to achieve his goal of getting kicked out. Personally he should have spent the remainder of his commitment in the brig or someplace rather being let go. I admit I do not fully understand or can imagine what things are like. I suppose it is like taking the wrong job and not being able to quit.

I do find the flight ops stuff really cool though.

2005 R1200GS (to be named)

2005 K1200LT Gretchen traded in for GS

MOA # 118981
MSF Instructor

My Photo Gallery

My Blog

post #7 of 7 Old May 6th, 2008, 1:12 pm

I like the series. I can read between the lines knowing that we are only getting a glimpse of maybe 20-30 people out of 5000. I especially liked the "Bolter, bolter bolter" part. And how they sleep through all that.

My brother was stationed on the USS Corral Sea carrier in the early eighties. I would visit him in San Diego or San Franciso when he was docked. He was assigned to the Awax radar planes. At all the ports they were in, they got to know where all the stripper bars were and they drank for days at a time. He said that working on the carrier was like working in a small town. He only got to know people that he worked with and they did everything together. For security and comfort zone.

He decided to get out after four years as his drinking was a little out of hand and he really wasn't being trained for anything that would help him get a job. Not many radar planes out in the civilian world.

He kicked himself many times over the next decade for leaving the Navy. But he would be conveniently forgetting the reasons that he left in the first place. He really was better off but didn't know it until much later.

Roger
BMW R1100RT '00
HumpDayDinnerClub

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in