Yet another wiring question - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Dec 17th, 2005, 9:55 pm Thread Starter
Senior Member (ret.)

Yet another wiring question

I picked up a small 3-rail trailer to haul the dirt bikes. It had old connector on it and was due replacement. So I took out the connector, the wiring and the two old tailights. Installed new taillights (round with 2 wires coming out of them. One balck one red.) re wired the entire trailer with a flat 4 way universal connector. Put a 7-way to 4-way adapter on my bumper outlet and then plugged the trailer connector. I have running lights But no turn signals.

The universal wiring harness I bought had two sets of wires and a single wire for ground (white.) The two sets of wires had Brown/yellow and Brown/Green. According to the schematic, green was right running light and yellow was left running light. That left brown for each side.

I used green on the taillight red on the right side and yellow on taillight red on left side. Each brown went to the corresponding black on the taillight.

The taillights have dual filament bulbs.

I checked the fuses on the truck and everything is ok. The only thing I did not check was brake lights. The white wire was grounded to the trailer tongue (maybe this should be changed.)

Anyone see anything glaringly wrong? swap the wire connections at the taillight?

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Raffy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Dec 17th, 2005, 10:30 pm

Put a 7-way to 4-way adapter on my bumper outlet and then plugged the trailer connector. I have running lights But no turn signals.end of QUOTE]

I agree with what you did to the trailer. Time to get the volt/ohm meter working to see what is hot, coming out of your 7 to 4 adapter, and confirm that the grounds are good if your brake lights are also inop. You might just want get another 12Volt source and work with just the 4 wires that go to the trailer to confirm where the problem is. The ground is usually my problem on old stuff. B.B.

"The idea is to die young as late as possible"

Barney Rubble (rider); Wilma Flintstone (pillion).
2000LTC CHAMPAGNE, Most prominent color at early CCR's
BMWMOA 89402
post #3 of 8 Old Dec 17th, 2005, 10:40 pm Thread Starter
Senior Member (ret.)

Thanks. I'll look into it some more in the mroning.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Raffy

post #4 of 8 Old Dec 18th, 2005, 12:03 am

The Brown is running lights. That's why there is one down each side. I'm not sure with your tail lights which color to hook it to but turn on the running lights on the truck and test to see which wire, red or black, lights the dimmest filament. That's the running lights. The bright filament will be turn/brake lights.
I'm guessing the black will be the running (dimmest).

White goes to ground. Make sure your new lights have a good ground through the mounting bolt. Scrape some paint off if you have too, then put a little paint over it once the nuts are tight.

Green goes to right side turn/brake.(bright)

Yellow goes to left side turn/brake. (bright)

Rick
post #5 of 8 Old Dec 18th, 2005, 7:48 am

Check the ground

Raffy: As long as you have confirmed that the lights are dual filament, the ground may be the problem. Rick has it right: green = right turn/brake; yellow = left turn/brake; brown = parking light (running light).

Check that the light case on the trailer is firmly grounded to the trailer. Grind the area where the lights are bolted to the frame to make sure there is a good connection. Then connect the white wire from the connector to the trailer frame to insure solid connection. Don't rely on the ball/hitch for ground contact.

B.B. also has good ideas for checking the lights with 12v source to ground. When in doubt SMOKE TEST!!

Hope this helps.

Chuck J

02 K1200LT (Black Beauty)

New friends make it all worthwhile!!! Smile, its catching.

Last edited by ksailor; Dec 18th, 2005 at 7:54 am.
post #6 of 8 Old Dec 18th, 2005, 8:02 am Thread Starter
Senior Member (ret.)

Thanks Chuck and Rick:

I'll check for the ground. I bolted the white wire to the tongue through a pre-existing hole. If the ground is not the issue then the next step is to re wire the taillights.

Right now I have yellow to red on taillight and brown to black, green to red and brown to black. Will swap the colors and see what happens.

Will let you know when it gets light out here and I can work outside again. It's pouring rain.

Raffy
post #7 of 8 Old Dec 18th, 2005, 10:32 am

Re: Yet another wiring question

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaffyK
I picked up a small 3-rail trailer to haul the dirt bikes. It had old connector on it and was due replacement. So I took out the connector, the wiring and the two old tailights. Installed new taillights (round with 2 wires coming out of them. One balck one red.) re wired the entire trailer with a flat 4 way universal connector. Put a 7-way to 4-way adapter on my bumper outlet and then plugged the trailer connector. I have running lights But no turn signals.

The universal wiring harness I bought had two sets of wires and a single wire for ground (white.) The two sets of wires had Brown/yellow and Brown/Green. According to the schematic, green was right running light and yellow was left running light. That left brown for each side.

I used green on the taillight red on the right side and yellow on taillight red on left side. Each brown went to the corresponding black on the taillight.

The taillights have dual filament bulbs.

I checked the fuses on the truck and everything is ok. The only thing I did not check was brake lights. The white wire was grounded to the trailer tongue (maybe this should be changed.)

Anyone see anything glaringly wrong? swap the wire connections at the taillight?
Raffy; The set of brown wires are the running light circuits one right, one left. The green wire is for the right turn & right brake light circuit. The yellow wire is for the left turn & left brake light circuit. Is it possible you have a dual element lamp, but the bulb receptacle is either not set up for dual elements or not grounded properly. Usually these trailer circuits get fouled up due to poor grounding. Attached is a simple wiring diagram, hope this helps:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4%20way%20wiring.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	17.5 KB
ID:	1178   Click image for larger version

Name:	wiring_7pole.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	23.0 KB
ID:	1179  

Jerry
2004 K1200LTC Night Black

Last edited by C. Buckman; Dec 18th, 2005 at 10:37 am.
post #8 of 8 Old Dec 18th, 2005, 11:01 am Thread Starter
Senior Member (ret.)

Got it fixed. I switched the wiring to brown on red and yellow to black on left and green to black on right.

Everything works now. Ground spot was good.

Done. Off to San Jose to pick me up a new to me bike. Details will follow.

Raffy

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in