Amazing Good Fortune Strikes Again - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old Apr 19th, 2008, 7:06 pm Thread Starter

Talking Amazing Good Fortune Strikes Again

This is so weird I just have to share it. This morning I took a long ride on my LT. It was cloudy and promising to rain, but I went anyway and the rain held off. Was gone two or three hours and not a drop. But that is not the weird thing. As I was passing through Burlington, Iowa on Rt 61 coming up from Ft. Madison I knew there was a Harley dealership on that route and since it was just about 9 a.m. by this time I had the thought that I should stop in and just browse the riding gear and see if there was a pair of leather pants for my wife. I debated this as I got nearer the dealership and just as I was coming up in front of the dealership I decided, okay, yes, I'll stop in and just browse a minute. So, I pulled up in front and backed my bike into one of the spaces for that purpose. Two other guys who had just parked their HD's were standing there. When I turned the key off one of them said, "is that hissing sound coming from your bike?" I took my helmet off and sure enough could hear a loud hissing sound coming from my front tire. I checked and it was coming from the valve stem and within a few seconds the tire was all but flat -- right there in front of the HD dealership. It must have just happened because I had been going 70 on the road into Burlington and had not felt a thing. Plus, as I said, the air was coming out so fast, it would only have take a few seconds for the tire to be flat. Turned out to be the valve stem, it had apparently come completely disconnected from the wheel seemingly just at the moment I pulled into the dealership. Amazing when you think of all the other unpleasant possible outcomes of that situation from very ugly, at worst, to just a royal pain in the ass at best. So, the dealer, Heartland Harley-Davidson, took my bike in and , after admiring it and quizzing me about it and telling me they had never seen one, proceeded to fix the problem. They were as gracious and pleasant and helpful and speedy as I could possibly have hoped for, unlike the local BMW dealership in Iowa City. And before I knew it I wa on my way. The mechanic that worked on the tire actually came outside when we wheeled it out just to hear me start it. Then shook his head in admiration and gave me thumbs up as I drove off.
Okay, so what are the odd of having what could have been a messy failure occur just as I pull into a dealership that I almost was not going to even visit??? Is that good fortune or what? Maybe I should buy a lottery ticket today.
Thank you, Heartland Harley-Davidson, if you hire a BMW mechanic I'd give you all my service business! You guys saved my butt and you were a pleasure to deal with.
Moral of the story -- there's nothing quite so valuable as plain old dumbass good luck, AND, probably a good idea to check your valve stems every now and then!

Greg
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2000 k1200LT Basalt Grey (Roxie)
BMWMOA Number: 134717
I have a great doctor, if you can't afford the surgery, he'll touch up the xrays -- Henny Youngman

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old Apr 19th, 2008, 7:35 pm

Re: Amazing Good Fortune Strikes Again

Now THAT'S good Karma!

Next chance you get replace those rubber stems with some metal ones and you'll never have to worry again.

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #3 of 14 Old Apr 19th, 2008, 8:33 pm

QUICK QUICK Buy that Lottery ticket.

What a fortunate turn of events. Someones trying to tell you to get metal stems.

You clearly have a guardian Angel looking out for you

2005 KLT "Old Blue"

Bruno the "Bugg"

Democracy will only exist until 51% of the population believes they can live off the other 49% .

post #4 of 14 Old Apr 19th, 2008, 9:12 pm

What a great story, Greg. Glad it worked out for you. Maybe this will help offset some of the apparent "us v. them" being discussed in the "biker wave" thread going on now.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #5 of 14 Old Apr 19th, 2008, 9:32 pm

Sooo --- did the wife get some leather pants?? That would've been a win-win story to tell her!!
post #6 of 14 Old Apr 20th, 2008, 3:09 am

They get a 5* rating from these people http://www.heartlandhd.com/testimonials_display2.asp
post #7 of 14 Old Apr 20th, 2008, 7:30 am

Wow, Greg, it's great to hear a win-win! I worked on an '08 Harley purdy much all day yesterday putting on farkles. Man have they changed.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #8 of 14 Old Apr 20th, 2008, 7:53 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonKMiller
Now THAT'S good Karma!

Next chance you get replace those rubber stems with some metal ones and you'll never have to worry again.
My mother always told me as a kid that I was working my guardiean angels overtime.
As for the metal stems, that's what they gave me for the front. I'll do the same for the rear asap. Thanks.

Greg

I have a great doctor, if you can't afford the surgery, he'll touch up the xrays -- Henny Youngman

post #9 of 14 Old Apr 20th, 2008, 7:55 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hschisler
What a great story, Greg. Glad it worked out for you. Maybe this will help offset some of the apparent "us v. them" being discussed in the "biker wave" thread going on now.
I hope so, Howard, because the guys at the HD dealership treated me like a king. Now if only the BMW dealership in Iowa City could catch some of their very customer oriented condition.

Greg

post #10 of 14 Old Apr 20th, 2008, 7:56 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick
Sooo --- did the wife get some leather pants?? That would've been a win-win story to tell her!!
No leather pants but I think I found her a nice leather jacket -- on sale!!

Greg

post #11 of 14 Old Apr 20th, 2008, 7:57 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by simoncharles
They get a 5* rating from these people http://www.heartlandhd.com/testimonials_display2.asp
Cool. I'll go in and add my estimation to the list. Thanks.

Greg

post #12 of 14 Old Apr 20th, 2008, 7:59 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots
Wow, Greg, it's great to hear a win-win! I worked on an '08 Harley purdy much all day yesterday putting on farkles. Man have they changed.
Grif, did it have ABS? That's a nice engineering change they made this year. Yep. They're makin' better and better. And if I splurge and get a second bike, I'd think very seriously about a Buel. There 1125R is amazing!

Greg

post #13 of 14 Old Apr 20th, 2008, 8:24 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpolakow
Grif, did it have ABS? That's a nice engineering change they made this year. Yep. They're makin' better and better. And if I splurge and get a second bike, I'd think very seriously about a Buel. There 1125R is amazing!
Yeppir, it has ABS, they hide the sensor inside wheel on the axle. Working on the '08 I noticed that Harley has done some kewl stuff. I don't know why they won't stick the VRod motor in their touring platform. Even if they did, the GT is just too kick ass and nobody else does ESA.

Now the 1125 is awesome. Rotax makes the motor, BTW

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #14 of 14 Old Apr 20th, 2008, 8:56 am

Wow! That IS lucky! (and scary too ) Glad to hear you didn't have a major problem with that stem.

I was out riding with a guy who was on a new 1125 yesterday - that is a fast bike! We were along the shoreline so lots o'traffic and he was BUMMED cause we really couldn't keep up any speed. (THAT'S why I'm selling my Triumph, sportbikes are just so fast now, and there's too many cars.)

As far as the Harley dealers go, I've had some really good experiences with them. I've found at least half of them in my immediate area go out of their way to make sure you're satisfied, and the one I bought my Softail from has been a real eye-opener compared to the CT BMW network in my experience. I'll probably buy some more HD's going forward, in fact, I know I will. I hope they make the Ulysses more dirt oriented, and give it a shaft drive - I'd buy that as a GS bike which I think is my next purchase at some point.

R1200GSA Hi Ho, Hi Ho, It's off to Alaska I go!
(Down to ONE BIKE - ARGH!)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in