Does anyone have a Smart car? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 Old Apr 18th, 2008, 10:20 pm Thread Starter
Bouncer

Does anyone have a Smart car?

Just wondering if anyone in the group has bought a Smart car. If so, what model did you get? How do you like it? What the best thing about it? What's the worst thing about it?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue

"I am hoping for an asteroid impact to put all this climate change nonsense to bed."
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old Apr 19th, 2008, 7:32 am

Garage
Talking Re: Does anyone have a Smart car?

Not yet. smartusa's estimate is july - october , my guess / hope is late may early june, we'll see. I ordered a triple black passion. I allready have a car cover and a scan gauge II. I just ordered a doug thorley muffler, should be here in about 6 weeks. I got one of the first ten they are going to make. I wish I could tell you how the car drives and stuff. The short answer to your question is "Not yet".

have you been to http://www.smartcarofamerica.com/forums/

1999 K1200LT Rat Bike Sold
2000 K1200LT Black Bike SOLD
2003 K1200RS Alpine White and Blue SOLD
2002 R1150GS sold
2008 "smart"
2001 K1200LT current project, AKA M1.2, AKA Horten 229
2002 F650GS It's runnin y'all
2005 K1200S
2012 R1200GS Rally
post #3 of 23 Old Apr 19th, 2008, 8:37 am
Cat Herder

Re: Does anyone have a Smart car?

I had the chance to one, but then the sales guy, who should have done nothing but deliver blew so definitely that Lanette and I bought a different toy.

From what I hear from European sources, it's a good car albeit hyped up to be more than it is. The smart does get decent gas milage, but you can have the same or better gas milage in other cars. Currently it is a pain to insure, as very few insurances are willing to give you a decent quote. (unknown fear factor)

Since we were literally one day away of taking possession I have done my homework. (I think) What do you want to know?

post #4 of 23 Old Jun 26th, 2008, 11:30 am

Garage
Smile Re: Does anyone have a Smart car?

I'm finally inside the 90 day window. This is my 400th day of waiting.

1999 K1200LT Rat Bike Sold
2000 K1200LT Black Bike SOLD
2003 K1200RS Alpine White and Blue SOLD
2002 R1150GS sold
2008 "smart"
2001 K1200LT current project, AKA M1.2, AKA Horten 229
2002 F650GS It's runnin y'all
2005 K1200S
2012 R1200GS Rally
post #5 of 23 Old Jun 26th, 2008, 12:03 pm

I dont' have one but would be interested if I'm lookin at cages.

I first saw these in e. germany..my friends said they were overated and having qual problems.

But that was, mmm...2005 I think, I'm sure they've worked a lot of the bugs out by now.

I've always like small cars, dont' know why. I like that minicooper a lot now too, trying to talk the SO into looking at that when she gets a convertable someday.
post #6 of 23 Old Jun 26th, 2008, 1:38 pm

From Consumer Reports:

Smart ForTwo
Despite gasoline prices, smaller doesn’t always mean better

The Smart ForTwo is a long-awaited minicar that's been buzzing around European streets since 1998, where its diminutive size, small-displacement engines, and distinct design have given it
unique appeal. With elevated gasoline prices in the United States, the arrival of the second-generation Smart car is well timed, and initial sales have exceeded company expectations.

Made in France by a subsidiary of Mercedes-Benz, the new Smart ForTwo arrived Stateside in spring 2008.

We're testing a model called the "Passion Coupe," a two-seater powered by a 71-hp, 1.0-liter three-cylinder engine coupled to an automated manual transmission. The price came to $15,355 including shipping.

Initial impressions. Measuring 40 inches shorter than a Mini Cooper, the Smart ForTwo combines flashy styling and clever packaging, though it disappoints with dynamics and overall value.

Despite its tiny size, the high seating position makes you feel you're sitting in a small SUV. Generous glass, including a see-through roof, gives good visibility and a light, airy feel to the interior. The cabin is narrow, though, so having two people aboard makes for an intimate driving experience, although the seats themselves are comfortable. A very small turning circle makes it possible to pull a U-turn in your driveway.

A car like this should be fun and zippy. Sadly, the Smart is neither. The ride is harsh, and broken urban pavement, this car's natural habitat, pummels occupants mercilessly. The transmission shifts strangely, with pauses and heaves between gears. Handling is not so responsive, and it takes a lot of wheel winding to coax the Smart through corners. The slow, noisy engine makes it necessary to plan ahead when merging into traffic, although once on the highway it can keep up the pace.

Smart ForTwo dash

Fuel consumption is a high point. So far we've been averaging 38 mpg. The EPA rates this Smart at 33 in the city, 41 on the highway. However, the economy Smart requires premium fuel.

Crash test results are quite sound. The Smart scored a Good in the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety's frontal offset and demanding side-impact crash tests. However, the front test is based on colliding into a car of the same size. That means "Good" if you crash into another Smart. A giant SUV might be another story.

CR's take: Despite its many quirks, the Smart can be rather endearing. But from a strictly practical standpoint, the Smart ForTwo is not so smart. Premium fuel eats up a good part of the savings from its excellent fuel economy. The car seats only two and provides modest cargo space. Although it won't gather a crowd of gawkers, we think a far smarter choice is the Honda Fit (due to be redesigned for 2009). The current Fit costs about the same amount, gets 32 mpg (34 with a stick shift), and has none of the Smart's drawbacks.

The Fit should start arriving this fall. One of my buddys wife has one - and she can literally drive ANY car she wants. She absolutely loves it, and this is the older model.

"Like Butt-ahh!"

Last edited by RonKMiller; Jun 26th, 2008 at 1:45 pm.
post #7 of 23 Old Jun 26th, 2008, 3:57 pm

After reading that, that car isn't so "smart" at all. My wife had an 86 Nissan Sentra with a 1.6L carbed engine that got...50 MPG on the highway (60-65 MPH). The car would seat 4 (not big people) had a measley 52 HP and a 5 speed manual trans.
If they could build a car that far back that could get that kind of gas mileage...what's the problem today?
post #8 of 23 Old Jun 26th, 2008, 4:44 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljeffe
Just wondering if anyone in the group has bought a Smart car. If so, what model did you get? How do you like it? What the best thing about it? What's the worst thing about it?
I was at the Scottsdale Barrett-Jackson auction this year and two used Smart Cars sold for about twice list. Not so smart! Someone at my church drives one, I parked next to it one day. Makes my GT look even bigger than it is!

Norris Cooper Andover Kansas USA
06 K1200GT
93 K1100RS

this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question: Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?
post #9 of 23 Old Jun 26th, 2008, 5:39 pm
Cooler on the east coast!!!

I would not fit even if I wanted to
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Smart.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	151.2 KB
ID:	18523  

G-Glove
2003 Silver LTC
post #10 of 23 Old Jun 26th, 2008, 6:23 pm
Lifetime Supporter

My car is smart enough. Freekin' thing has radio detection and ranging! Talks to me, too.

Jer

Jerry Palma
99 K1200LTI Champagne 'Oh, Kay' (dropped: 5)
97 K1100LT Aspen Silver Night High Line 'Silver Knight'
85 R80RT 'Lady in Red'
08 535xi Space Gray metallic
09 328i Silver Convertable
17 X3 Glacier Silver metallic

BMWMOA #157323 / ABC #11368 -- All-in-all a newbie!

I love these bikes regardless of what I've needed to fix on them. I'll: Just Ride 'em!
post #11 of 23 Old Jun 26th, 2008, 6:45 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morley
After reading that, that car isn't so "smart" at all. My wife had an 86 Nissan Sentra with a 1.6L carbed engine that got...50 MPG on the highway (60-65 MPH). The car would seat 4 (not big people) had a measley 52 HP and a 5 speed manual trans.
If they could build a car that far back that could get that kind of gas mileage...what's the problem today?
How 'bout a Chevette Diesel? If I could find one..... the ULTIMATE nerd mobile.

I would wager that it has the distinction of having the slowest 1/4 mile ET of any mass produced four passenger vehicle made in the USA.

The Yugo runs a close second. 'cept it was a foreign sports job instead.

I ACTUALLY had a girlfriend named Suzi in high school that drove a Chevette. I think the only reason she liked me was because I was always fixing that $(%^(#($% car for her!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Chevette.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	103.3 KB
ID:	18524   Click image for larger version

Name:	Chevette mileage.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	37.3 KB
ID:	18525   Click image for larger version

Name:	Chevette Cheerleaders.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	418.9 KB
ID:	18526  

"Like Butt-ahh!"

Last edited by RonKMiller; Jun 26th, 2008 at 7:15 pm.
post #12 of 23 Old Jun 26th, 2008, 7:04 pm
Jim
Slow Old Guy

One of my customers just got one. He is a bit disappointed. Only getting about 32 MPG around town which is what he is using it for. Said the transmission doesn't work too well in Drive, so you have to use the paddles on the steering wheel to get it to perform at all. On the plus side the fit and finish is good and there is plenty of room for two adults. I sat in it and is is quite roomy. Not sure which model it is. Hardtop with a moonroof panel on the top that doesn't open. 15 grand.

Jim Anderson
Idyllwild, CA
'04 Ural Tourist
'08 Tiger
post #13 of 23 Old Jun 26th, 2008, 7:37 pm
Old Dawg

I got smart and bought a Mini CooperS 3 weeks ago... LOVE IT!

Scott
Sacramento CA
HDDC Posse

''03 Ducati ST4S with ABS - '12 KTM 500EXC - '19 BMW GS/A
(Jessica Focker's) '15 BMW S1000RR - '17 KTM 350EXC-F - '09 Yamaha XT250

Some of the most asinine things people do are typically preceded by the two words "Watch this."
post #14 of 23 Old Jun 26th, 2008, 9:30 pm

I'm not sure if anyone has noticed....but, the Smart Car seems to be smaller than our LTs

I'm serious.

Mike
post #15 of 23 Old Jun 26th, 2008, 11:18 pm
Ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowofshoe
I'm not sure if anyone has noticed....but, the Smart Car seems to be smaller than our LTs

I'm serious.

Mike
Too funny - I was next to one this morning (in my car) and was thinking exactly the same thing!

Ted

Camarillo, CA
2012 Ducati Multistrada 1200S - Red
2007 R1200S - Black - Sold
2003 K1200LTC - Silver - Sold
IBA# 16554

post #16 of 23 Old Jun 27th, 2008, 8:43 am

I like the marketing idea of calling it the "Smart Car". I'm trying this at home calling myself the "Handsome, Athletic Husband"

post #17 of 23 Old Jun 27th, 2008, 9:08 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briantime
I like the marketing idea of calling it the "Smart Car". I'm trying this at home calling myself the "Handsome, Athletic Husband"
Puullleeassseee....let me know how that works out, I need all the help I can get!
post #18 of 23 Old Jun 27th, 2008, 1:34 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldbikin
..my friends said they were overated and having qual problems.

But that was, mmm...2005 I think, I'm sure they've worked a lot of the bugs out by now.
That depends. Does Mercedes-Benz share engineers with BMW?

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #19 of 23 Old Jun 27th, 2008, 1:36 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim
Only getting about 32 MPG around town which is what he is using it for. Said the transmission doesn't work too well in Drive, so you have to use the paddles on the steering wheel to get it to perform at all.
Let's see, it's not quick enough for him so he's manually shifting to get better power and acceleration, then he complains that it only get 32 mpg? Hmm.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #20 of 23 Old Jun 27th, 2008, 1:37 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
Don't forget that the missing cylinder also costs you 35 HP over an LT. No, thanks.

The small, fuel efficient car is a reasonable idea that has been working fine in Europe for years. They were just never hip enough for the US and with gas around $1/gallon, no one cared. The Smart car seems to be another trendy response that doesn't really address the problem, but makes consumers feel good about their choice anyway. It's a typical overreaction from those who drove $40,000 SUVs because they could, and now find that they can't afford them so they're reaching in the entirely opposite direction.

Although the more SUVs that get converted into Smart cars, the better off we as bikers will be. They're easier to see around, easier to pass, and easier to lane-split by. So go for it, as long as I don't have to trade in my bike for one.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

Last edited by meese; Jun 27th, 2008 at 1:44 pm.
post #21 of 23 Old Jun 27th, 2008, 4:26 pm

I like them though I would prefer a roadster or coupe which they have stopped making. I commute 350 miles per week so the figures could work, just not sure about having 2 two seater cars. You have to remember that in this country we have plenty of small cars so there is a lot of choice.

If I waited a little while I suppose I could get one of these
click made by a bike manufacturer and 37 mpg.

Regards

Graham Wintersgill
On the bonnnie bonnie banks of Loch Lomond

2001 K1200LT

1995 K75RT now deceased
post #22 of 23 Old Jun 27th, 2008, 5:54 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:

I'm serious.

Mike
It's not. A co-worker asked the same question. The LT is a few inches shorter. I checked the length and reported back. He thought the LT was HUGE! Non-biker dude.

Jer (Who would feel a lot less secure in a Smart car than an LT)

Jerry Palma
99 K1200LTI Champagne 'Oh, Kay' (dropped: 5)
97 K1100LT Aspen Silver Night High Line 'Silver Knight'
85 R80RT 'Lady in Red'
08 535xi Space Gray metallic
09 328i Silver Convertable
17 X3 Glacier Silver metallic

BMWMOA #157323 / ABC #11368 -- All-in-all a newbie!

I love these bikes regardless of what I've needed to fix on them. I'll: Just Ride 'em!
post #23 of 23 Old Jun 30th, 2008, 5:10 am
THE Democracy Doctor

Location: We LOVE illegals and Socialists, Sunny, Southern Kommyfornia,

Careful analysis will reveal that it should be called the NOT-SO-Smart car. For what you get, you're paying about TWICE what you should be. A much better choice would be a Fit or Yaris, if you wanna spend $15k.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." (Some really OLD friggin' White dude who couldn't have possibly known what he was talking about!) WARNING: Official HATE speech!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in