Going under the knife. - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old Apr 18th, 2008, 7:18 am Thread Starter

Going under the knife.

Shoulder surgery set for 4/22 6:30am. Torn rotator cuff and 3 ligaments. Dr said up to 6 months for full recovery. I want to get on the bike in six weeks if I can. It was my last hockey game as I was retiring, just retired 40 min. early! Anyone out there with the same experience?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

BMW'S ARE THE WORST BIKE IN THE WORLD, CEPT' WHEN YOU COMPARE THEM TO EVERYTHING ELSE!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old Apr 18th, 2008, 7:34 am
Lifetime Supporter

Re: Going under the knife.

Hey Steve,

Best of luck with the cutting, but being a hockey player you're probably used to it.
Let's plan a couple short rides and then a trip to Southwestern WI is a must for this season.
Again, all the best,
Jer

Jerry Palma
99 K1200LTI Champagne 'Oh, Kay' (dropped: 5)
97 K1100LT Aspen Silver Night High Line 'Silver Knight'
85 R80RT 'Lady in Red'
08 535xi Space Gray metallic
09 328i Silver Convertable
17 X3 Glacier Silver metallic

BMWMOA #157323 / ABC #11368 -- All-in-all a newbie!

I love these bikes regardless of what I've needed to fix on them. I'll: Just Ride 'em!
post #3 of 15 Old Apr 18th, 2008, 7:38 am
Cooler on the east coast!!!

Steve as a trained professional I do not think you will be back on the back that quickly.
I would be more than happy to talk with you about your current situation, if you would like PM me and I will give you my number.
Who is doing your surgery?

G-Glove
2003 Silver LTC

post #4 of 15 Old Apr 18th, 2008, 7:47 am

Have you on my list... all the best !!!

Do the physical therapy... riding the bike.. well, just don't overdo it.. and remember to be VERY careful...

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #5 of 15 Old Apr 18th, 2008, 10:30 am

I am also due to go under the knife twice this year one of them will take me of riding a month and the other maybe two months. And concidering where I live and if I got those surgeries right after each other then the summer driving would be over if they start a soon as may.

2003 K1200LTE Impala Brown
1991 Kawazaki 1000 LTD US 1983 (sold)
1987 Suzuki GSX 1100 1982 (sold)
1985 Suzuki GS 650 LTD 1982 (sold)
1979 3xKawazaki z 100 lt 1979 (sold)
1979 Vespa 50 Scooter 1968 (Given away)

Member of BMW Mottorrad club of Norway
Member Senior MC, Norway
Supporting Member (BMWLT.com)
post #6 of 15 Old Apr 18th, 2008, 11:02 am

I would hope that it is an arthroscopic surgery which is usually less recovery time. I had my shoulder done in 1975 (also due to hockey) in two surgeries - one to repair it and another to remove the pin and screws. I seem to recall that the first required about six weeks to recover and the second about two. I did not have a rotator cuff done, just ligaments. I wish you well and a speedy recovery.

Fred Jewell
No longer president, River City Beemers
2009 R1200RT - Silver

BMWMOA #123779
BMWRA #38714
IBA #24559

"Shadowboxing the apocalypse, wandering the land"
post #7 of 15 Old Apr 18th, 2008, 1:10 pm

My wife (RN) works in surgery as first assist, pain clinic and recovery room for Tucson Orthopedic Institute. It was her opinion that you will not be riding a motorcycle in 6 weeks after rotator cuff surgery.

On the plus side she said lifting beer cans is good therapy.

She also said to be diligent about your rehab or she would come there and spank you!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Nurse_Ratched.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	6.8 KB
ID:	17484  

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #8 of 15 Old Apr 18th, 2008, 2:50 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for all the replies. I spoke to gglove today and he pretty much laid it out as I will not be riding soon unless I have divine intervention. I will be more diligent with the rehab then ever before. Seeing as the riding season is only so long here.
It will be arthroscopic surgery and I know my knees did very well after those, but this is a BIT different.

BMW'S ARE THE WORST BIKE IN THE WORLD, CEPT' WHEN YOU COMPARE THEM TO EVERYTHING ELSE!
post #9 of 15 Old Apr 18th, 2008, 5:14 pm

I had arthroscopic rotator cuff surgery about 5 years ago. I had been in so much pain before the surgery that the recovery was a piece of cake, so much so that the doctor repeatedly told me to take it easy. Hopefully, you haven't waited as long as I did to have the surgery. Best of luch in your recovery.

Res ipsa loquitur, sed quid in infernos dicet?

Alan Stuber
2003 K1200 LTC Titan Silver
Austin, Texas

post #10 of 15 Old Apr 18th, 2008, 5:21 pm

If you need a somebody to charge the battery on the LT, let me know, I am armed..................??

John
Florida
2004 BMW R1150R Black
Contact me 4 motor training 1&1
Expert witness in motorcycle crash reconstruction (Contact me)
post #11 of 15 Old Apr 18th, 2008, 7:18 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by OU812
Shoulder surgery set for 4/22 6:30am. Torn rotator cuff and 3 ligaments. Dr said up to 6 months for full recovery. I want to get on the bike in six weeks if I can. :
I do not want to burst your bubble, but, I am certain you will not be riding in 6 weeks. I had rotator cuff surgery (a partial tear) in Dec,2005. My surgeon strongly advised me to be ultra careful for the first 3 months and very careful for the following 3-month period. It was a full year before I was pushing the same amount of weight at the gym as I was before the surgery, thus, I consider my "full" recovery to have been at least 12 months. Although it was very painful, I am extremely glad I had the surgery. My shoulder had become a real impairment to everyday activities. It is nice to be able to get into a shirt or a jacket again without severe pain.

I didn't ride the LT until late July of 2006 (eight months after surgery) because I did not want to risk tearing the cuff and going through surgery again. The recovery from rotator cuff surgery is quite painful as you will soon discover; messing up the surgeons work by trying to engage in any activity that places even a minor strain on the shoulder too soon after surgery will buy you another appointment in the OR.

You can take this advice for what it's worth: DO NOT RUSH YOUR RECOVERY!!

Be careful, and PM me if you think any of my recovery experiences may be helpful to you.
post #12 of 15 Old Apr 18th, 2008, 7:29 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonKMiller
My wife (RN) works in surgery as first assist, pain clinic and recovery room for Tucson Orthopedic Institute. It was her opinion that you will not be riding a motorcycle in 6 weeks after rotator cuff surgery.

On the plus side she said lifting beer cans is good therapy.

She also said to be diligent about your rehab or she would come there and spank you!
Oh? I am refusing to do my rehab!

Don't know if you have had cuff surgery before, but its a tough one. Don't rush the bike ride or you could be on your way to other surgeries...this is one of those times when the quote " If you don't have time to do it right the first time, you certainly won't have time to do it again!"

Miller...I PM'd you my address...rehab is for quitters!

Donald
NW Arkansas
2006 K1200LT Blackish sorta kinda
BMWMOA #124197
AMA #925041

The difference between committed and involved is like a ham and egg breakfast, the chicken was involved...the pig was committed!
post #13 of 15 Old Apr 18th, 2008, 7:35 pm

I hope you have a good recliner, as the repaired arm will be completely immobilized for some time. My best buddy had that surgery, and he slept better on the recliner than his bed!

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
CCR-R: 2018, Russellville
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
Sold but "beloved" ride: K12 LT - "Pepe"
IBA #31242 (SSx2, BB, BBG)
MOA #136148

-
post #14 of 15 Old Apr 18th, 2008, 10:23 pm

I had both shoulders done (a year apart). While it wasn't any fun, I did pretty much get over it. You certainly shouldn't even be thinking about riding after six weeks. It takes quite a bit longer to get your strength back. Sorry about that!
Steve

Steve Brooten
'01 K1200LT
post #15 of 15 Old Apr 19th, 2008, 10:52 am Thread Starter

Well I have two recliners to choose from so that's set. Anyone can help themselves to the LT as IT is ready to ride.
I tore the shoulder up just 2 weeks ago so I and my DR are getting to it asap. Believe me when I say I will not rush any rehab. This has been in the worst pain ever, and I have broken/torn many a body part. But if I am not ready, so be it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in