Good News... Papal Visit. - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old Apr 15th, 2008, 3:08 pm Thread Starter

Good News... Papal Visit.

Here is the link... for those interested..

http://www.uspapalvisit.org/

The first visit of the Holy Father, Pope Benedict XVI to the United States of America.

Expect great things...

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old Apr 15th, 2008, 4:45 pm

Re: Good News... Papal Visit.

I'm thinking about scooting down on Sat. to see if I can catch his afternoon sermon. Not sure if I'm up for braving the crowds or not yet though. We saw him do a Mass while we were in Italy last year and he's very difficult to understand sometimes, partly because you really need to listen to what he says and think about it to keep within the context. I'm surprised the mainstream media hasn't taken more of his comments out of context because of this to be honest.

R1200GSA Hi Ho, Hi Ho, It's off to Alaska I go!
(Down to ONE BIKE - ARGH!)
post #3 of 14 Old Apr 15th, 2008, 9:49 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMC1
I'm thinking about scooting down on Sat. to see if I can catch his afternoon sermon. Not sure if I'm up for braving the crowds or not yet though. We saw him do a Mass while we were in Italy last year and he's very difficult to understand sometimes, partly because you really need to listen to what he says and think about it to keep within the context. I'm surprised the mainstream media hasn't taken more of his comments out of context because of this to be honest.
Was hoping to get tickets and invite some folks to go along... Hope you have a great ride!

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 14 Old Apr 30th, 2008, 2:58 pm Thread Starter

update http://www.kofc.org/cmf/resources/Co...ns_reflect.pdf

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #5 of 14 Old Apr 30th, 2008, 5:14 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

Will he have the bullet-proof Pope-Mobile? That was the best part last time.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #6 of 14 Old Apr 30th, 2008, 5:51 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

Just because your guaranteed everlasting salvation, that doesn't mean that you want to go there early. You're supposed to make the most of your time here on Earth first. At least that's how this outsider understands it.

An interesting counterpoint comes from a friend talking about riding motorcycles through India. The majority there believe that when it's your time, nothing that you say or do will change that. So apparently they drive huge busses and trucks at breakneck speeds, barely slowing for intersections. If you make it, then it simply wasn't your time to die. Since your life and death are completely out of your hands, then it makes no sense in trying to prolong the inevitable by being cautious.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...

Last edited by meese; Apr 30th, 2008 at 5:59 pm.
post #7 of 14 Old Apr 30th, 2008, 6:08 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
Just because your guaranteed everlasting salvation, that doesn't mean that you want to go there early. You're supposed to make the most of your time here on Earth first. At least that's how this outsider understands it.

An interesting counterpoint comes from a friend talking about riding motorcycles through India. The majority there believe that when it's your time, nothing that you say or do will change that. So apparently they drive huge busses and trucks at breakneck speeds, barely slowing for intersections. If you make it, then it simply wasn't your time to die. Since your life and death are completely out of your hands, then it makes no sense in trying to prolong the inevitable by being cautious.
Since you can see the same type of driving throughout urban Asia, I don't think it has anything to do with Hinduism, Buddhism or any of the other isms. I think those folk are just plain loco once they get behind the wheel of a car or the handlebar of a moped. I've seen things in Ho Chi Minh that made me pucker so hard I nearly turned inside out.
post #8 of 14 Old Apr 30th, 2008, 6:11 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveDragon
Seems to me he's letting fear separate him from his Flock, then again, I bet there are a lot of Fathers & Brothers & Uncles of the victims of the "Church's" Pedophile Protection Program; that may want a clear shot.

Then again, I wouldn't let a little BP Glass stop me.
If I were a father, brother, etc of a victim, I wouldn't think I'd want a go at the Pope, I'd go for the perp and settle with him.

B D R
post #9 of 14 Old May 1st, 2008, 1:31 pm Thread Starter

"When people are out to get you, paranoid is 'good thinking". "

I know we'll never close this loop in this lifetime... all I can do is try.

Lots of kooks on all sides... the Pope started using the "pope mobile" after the assassination attempt on JPII. By the way, JPII met with and forgave the guy.

"... by a would-be assassinís bullets on May 13, 1981. Mehmet Ali Agca, a Turkish terrorist, shot the Pope as he was riding in his jeep in Saint Peterís Square. The Pontiff was rushed to a Rome hospital and underwent hours of surgery; the Pope later deposited the bullet fragments in the crown of a statue of Our Lady of Fatima, whose feast day is May 13, and said he owed his life to Mary. Two and a half years after the shooting, he visited Agca in his Italian prison cell in a remarkable act of forgiveness and reconciliation."

No different than anyone else would do.

I've posted this before.. http://www.austindiocese.org/department_home.php?id=9

It is what is being done in our diocese to protect children. It is also being implemented across the country.

ANYONE with a record is NOT allowed access to children or vulnerable people in our charge. They must pass a national background check before being allowed access.

When they are accused, they are dealt with immediately by being removed from active ministry. No trial... no jury.... no recourse. Fair? Just?

I remember being called to family court because a teenager had filed charges of abuse against her father.... She later recounted in court saying.. "he won't let me do what I want to do." Nearly ruined my friend's life.

On the other hand, someone in "ministry" can have access to people at very sensitive moments in their lives... and has to meet very high standards of behavior.

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #10 of 14 Old May 1st, 2008, 2:48 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfell
"When people are out to get you, paranoid is 'good thinking". "

I know we'll never close this loop in this lifetime... all I can do is try.

Lots of kooks on all sides... the Pope started using the "pope mobile" after the assassination attempt on JPII. By the way, JPII met with and forgave the guy.

"... by a would-be assassinís bullets on May 13, 1981. Mehmet Ali Agca, a Turkish terrorist, shot the Pope as he was riding in his jeep in Saint Peterís Square. The Pontiff was rushed to a Rome hospital and underwent hours of surgery; the Pope later deposited the bullet fragments in the crown of a statue of Our Lady of Fatima, whose feast day is May 13, and said he owed his life to Mary. Two and a half years after the shooting, he visited Agca in his Italian prison cell in a remarkable act of forgiveness and reconciliation."

No different than anyone else would do.

I've posted this before.. http://www.austindiocese.org/department_home.php?id=9

It is what is being done in our diocese to protect children. It is also being implemented across the country.

ANYONE with a record is NOT allowed access to children or vulnerable people in our charge. They must pass a national background check before being allowed access.

When they are accused, they are dealt with immediately by being removed from active ministry. No trial... no jury.... no recourse. Fair? Just?

I remember being called to family court because a teenager had filed charges of abuse against her father.... She later recounted in court saying.. "he won't let me do what I want to do." Nearly ruined my friend's life.

On the other hand, someone in "ministry" can have access to people at very sensitive moments in their lives... and has to meet very high standards of behavior.
What about a JAIL sentence? I still don't understand how 1,000's of priests were/are simply moved around and not charged by local law enforcement with the crimes that have been accused of? If the charges were not valid, the church would not have paid out billions in hush money.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #11 of 14 Old May 1st, 2008, 5:04 pm

Your probably right; must be their Golden Rule. He who had the gold, makes the rules!

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
post #12 of 14 Old May 2nd, 2008, 12:59 pm Thread Starter

Well, the Church is pursuing....
http://www.usccb.org/comm/blanchette.shtml

There are other links trying to understand the problem and address:
http://www.usccb.org:8765/query.html...0&Go.y=0&Go=Go

Here is one of the Vatican's (Church hierarchy)statements
http://www.vatican.va/roman_curia/co...io-usa_en.html
Where it states:
"...for the pastoral concern and resolve with which the bishops of the United States have addressed the distressing situation caused by such aberrant crimes.

The Holy See is fully supportive of the bishopsí efforts to combat and to prevent such evil. The universal law of the Church has always recognized this crime as one of the most serious offenses which sacred ministers can commit, and has determined that they be punished with the most severe penalties, not excluding - if the case so requires - dismissal from the clerical state (cf. Canon 1395 ß 2). Moreover, the Holy Father in the year 2001 already had determined that this crime should be included among the most serious delicts ("graviora delicta") of clerics, to underscore the Holy Seeís aversion to this betrayal of the trust which the faithful rightly place in Christís ministers, and to ensure that the guilty will be appropriately punished. He therefore gave to the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith a special competence in this matter, applicable for the whole Church, establishing a particular procedure to be followed (cfr. Motu proprio "Sacramentorum sanctitatis tutela" of May 18, 2001, AAS, 93, 2001, p. 737)."

The quote goes on to clearly state more specifics...

If possible we would undo all the harm done in the world... but that task not ours and is yet to occur.

Edit:
http://www.ktbs.com/news/Former-prie...n-Texas-11329/

That sucker's OUT!

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #13 of 14 Old May 2nd, 2008, 3:48 pm

Sorry but I don't buy it. A lot of lip service.

These priests broke the law and should serve jail time. Not be moved to another parish. When a day care worker does what these priests did, they go to jail.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
post #14 of 14 Old May 2nd, 2008, 9:24 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandiver
Sorry but I don't buy it. A lot of lip service.

These priests broke the law and should serve jail time. Not be moved to another parish. When a day care worker does what these priests did, they go to jail.
I agree, Dan.... they broke way more than man's law.

Only that man's law stuff's up to the cops... and that is exactly what is happening now...

The other "law" .. well, I don't think they will get out of it......

I agree, that all that is also really fouled up... too little, too late.... but those days are over.

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in