Limewire - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old Apr 6th, 2008, 7:25 pm Thread Starter

Limewire

I know many of you are much more well versed in computers than I. So, my question is this, is Limewire legal ? I have an IPOD and I buy all my music through ITUNES. But what is this Limewire music sharing thing ? And if it's not legal, why wouldn't they (I have no idea who THEY are, maybe, some sort of secret computer police force) shut it down ? It seems as if I've heard of them (See above in parentheses) prosecuting individuals for illegally downloading music. So, I guess my real question is, if Limewire is illegal, why not prosecute them and leave the individual alone ?

Roy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old Apr 6th, 2008, 8:00 pm
Old Dawg

Re: Limewire

Limewire is NOT illegal, downloading copyrighted material is. The individual is the one making the choice to do this, Limewire is just a program that connects the individuals to do this. Limewire can also be used to to share freeware, videos and music that isn't copyright protected.
Think of it as a car that can take you to the bank and you can either make a withdrawal or rob the place, that's your choice not the people who make or sell the car.

Scott
Sacramento CA
HDDC Posse

''03 Ducati ST4S with ABS - '12 KTM 500EXC - '19 BMW GS/A
(Jessica Focker's) '15 BMW S1000RR - '17 KTM 350EXC-F - '09 Yamaha XT250

Some of the most asinine things people do are typically preceded by the two words "Watch this."
post #3 of 13 Old Apr 6th, 2008, 8:04 pm
Cat Herder

And besides all the legality questions: Limewire is *THE* fastest way to get infected with spamware and viruses. Nothing else is faster or better.

In EVERY office I was working so far in the last couple of years, installing Limewire on your office computer was a terminable offense. Does that tell you where it stands?

post #4 of 13 Old Apr 6th, 2008, 9:13 pm

I dont use Limewire.. all I can say is know what your downloading and from where it comes from. I use usenet groups that i pay for and have had luck....so far

Nelson
99 K1200LT
post #5 of 13 Old Apr 7th, 2008, 1:59 am

I frecuently use LimeWire.

Never had problems such as the ones Andy describes.
post #6 of 13 Old Apr 7th, 2008, 5:43 am

DC++

2003 K1200LTE Impala Brown
1991 Kawazaki 1000 LTD US 1983 (sold)
1987 Suzuki GSX 1100 1982 (sold)
1985 Suzuki GS 650 LTD 1982 (sold)
1979 3xKawazaki z 100 lt 1979 (sold)
1979 Vespa 50 Scooter 1968 (Given away)

Member of BMW Mottorrad club of Norway
Member Senior MC, Norway
Supporting Member (BMWLT.com)
post #7 of 13 Old Apr 7th, 2008, 6:40 am

I use Limewire. But I only download songs that are specifically mp3 files at 192bps (or higher) resolution. You'd obviously want to stay away from files that are misspelled, files that end with .exe, or small files. And I would stay away from video files as well. Those can have embedded spamware and/or viruses.

A not-so-savvy PC user might want to seriously consider using Limewire, IMO.
post #8 of 13 Old Apr 7th, 2008, 9:45 pm
Super Moderator

For better insight and understanding:

http://www.gnutellaforums.com/

Limewire does not have anyone that is accountable - thus idiots can bundle up bad files and what you think you are downloading is not what you are going to get. I have belonged for over 6 years - I use an old copy - does not report back, limit my time, do not share and run a MAC. No probems but its only a matter of time . . . tic toc!!

Dan Finazzo
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted to get"
post #9 of 13 Old Apr 8th, 2008, 8:01 am

One thing I didn't see mentioned is that Limewire, and other programs like it, are file sharing software. What happens is that when you load that software, they expect you to share your library of files with the rest of the world, meaning you could have thousands of people hitting your hard drive to get files from you. Now, supposedly, the program only allows "visitors" access into a directory you specify. Supposedly. Theorically, this program could be hacked in such a way to allow wiseguys access to your entire drive.

Seems like a few years back, the Net Nazis were going after these file sharing programs and the people that use them. I think they gave up because of the nature of the beast. When you download file, you may be getting a piece of the file from 10 different sources. That makes it a tad harder to track down the actual source.

Andy is right, especially with Windoze. This type of software really exposes you to a lot of nasty, bad things, not to mention it's borderline legality.

'99K1200LT - "Bertha" - gone, but not forgotten!
'86 Concours - "Horse with no name" (under reconstructive surgery)
'06 K1200GT - "Road Rocket"
Marshall, Tx

post #10 of 13 Old Apr 9th, 2008, 2:09 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydawg
you can either make a withdrawal or rob the place,
Aren't they kind of the same thing?
post #11 of 13 Old Apr 9th, 2008, 9:01 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy
And besides all the legality questions: Limewire is *THE* fastest way to get infected with spamware and viruses. Nothing else is faster or better.

In EVERY office I was working so far in the last couple of years, installing Limewire on your office computer was a terminable offense. Does that tell you where it stands?
I'll second what Andy said--my daughter downloaded it on our home computer--wasn't very long until we started have some real issues on our computer.

Wade

99 K-1200LT
82 Yamaha Virago (Girl of my youth)

"No one knows as much as all of us do." --General George Patton

post #12 of 13 Old Apr 10th, 2008, 12:17 am
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morley
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydawg
you can either make a withdrawal or rob the place,
Not really. It's like the difference between going to the dealer to pick up your bike after service, and just taking any bike on the floor and riding it away.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #13 of 13 Old Apr 10th, 2008, 11:26 am
Old Dawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morley

Uh no

Scott
Sacramento CA
HDDC Posse

''03 Ducati ST4S with ABS - '12 KTM 500EXC - '19 BMW GS/A
(Jessica Focker's) '15 BMW S1000RR - '17 KTM 350EXC-F - '09 Yamaha XT250

Some of the most asinine things people do are typically preceded by the two words "Watch this."

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in