Nova scotia Q & A - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Mar 26th, 2008, 6:57 pm Thread Starter

Nova scotia Q & A

Hey All;

Me and the SO are going to NS this year in august. Has any of you go to Bangor and then take rt 1 thru canada over the top to NS?
How is it? Or take the ferry and save the extra day ride?
Thoughts/help.

Zeke

45 years riding and still more places to see.
2002 K1200LT
2016 R1200RT
IBA # 41935
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Mar 27th, 2008, 7:09 am

Re: Nova scotia Q & A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke
Hey All;

Me and the SO are going to NS this year in august. Has any of you go to Bangor and then take rt 1 thru canada over the top to NS?
How is it? Or take the ferry and save the extra day ride?
Thoughts/help.

Zeke

yup, did that trip last summer. I live in Maine, and was born in Calais, so I know the area very well. from bangor I took RTE 9 (the airline) to Calais, and crossed into NB at St. Stephen. drove up through St John, and up to Moncton, then down to NS, and crossed over to Cape Breton.

Amazing riding, my wife and I were there for a week. stayed in Baddeck, and did the cabot trail, lighthouse trail, caleigh trail. My wife had her '07 Vstar 1100 with just 300 miles on it when we left! LOL

I would not suggest going any further north than Houlton before crossing into Canada. Houlton would take you through Fredicton, and then over to Moncton. This was a one day ride for us, 625 miles, 12hrs, 15 minutes.

we chose not to take the ferry, because our destination was Cape Breton, and the ferry lands in Yarmouth, on the extreme southern end of NS.

let me know if I can answer any other questions that you may have.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NovaScotia.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	170.1 KB
ID:	17204  

Mark Conlogue
MCSE, MCT
CEH (Certified Ethical Hacker)
CBCP

I take Life with a grain of salt......and a slice of lime and a shot of Tequila
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

20 grand & 2K miles don't make you a biker
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I COULD TELL THEY WERE BIKERS,
IT SAID "LIVE TO RIDE" ON THEIR TRAILER
post #3 of 9 Old Mar 27th, 2008, 8:49 am
ajs

I live in N.S. and have taken many trips into and out of the US through the St. Stephen/Calais border crossing. Never the ferry, mostly because I prefer riding and the distance from Yarmouth (where the ferry lands in NS) to anywhere else in NS is just about as long a ride as the road route. I have done both #1 coastal route in Maine and the #9 Airline both ways. I love both but my preference is the Airline, excellent road with good on throttle/off throttle and transmission work at higher speeds. They say it is closely patrolled by state troopers. I have no personal experience with that so far tho.

I have done the Vanceboro Maine crossing recently too. The trip out of Bangor was on the 95 to Lincoln then #6 to the border. The ride on #6 was a real nice experience. The 95 of course is interstate and quite barren through there. The Canadian side from Vanceboro to Kingsclear is secondary road. From Kingsclear NB to the NS border and beyond is 2 lane with a median and is probably the fastest road trip into NS.

My preference is the #9 Airline with the #1 a close second in Maine, crossing at St. Stephen and following the highway into Saint John, then to Moncton, Sackville etc. and on to the NS border.

Once at the border there are a number of different routes you can take to get off the 2 laner which takes you straight to Truro with a highway toll (about 4.00 for a bike) about half way there. At Truro you can remain on the 2 laner #104 through to the Cape Breton Causeway at Canso and beyond. You can also turn right off the 104 at Truro and on to Halifax by way of the 102.

Depending on what your interests are in NS, I can give you more specific information about what I prefer as the better motorcycle routes in the province if you wish. Just send me a PM. HTH

post #4 of 9 Old Mar 27th, 2008, 4:56 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajs
I live in N.S. and have taken many trips into and out of the US through the St. Stephen/Calais border crossing. Never the ferry, mostly because I prefer riding and the distance from Yarmouth (where the ferry lands in NS) to anywhere else in NS is just about as long a ride as the road route. I have done both #1 coastal route in Maine and the #9 Airline both ways. I love both but my preference is the Airline, excellent road with good on throttle/off throttle and transmission work at higher speeds. They say it is closely patrolled by state troopers. I have no personal experience with that so far tho.

I have done the Vanceboro Maine crossing recently too. The trip out of Bangor was on the 95 to Lincoln then #6 to the border. The ride on #6 was a real nice experience. The 95 of course is interstate and quite barren through there. The Canadian side from Vanceboro to Kingsclear is secondary road. From Kingsclear NB to the NS border and beyond is 2 lane with a median and is probably the fastest road trip into NS.

My preference is the #9 Airline with the #1 a close second in Maine, crossing at St. Stephen and following the highway into Saint John, then to Moncton, Sackville etc. and on to the NS border.

Once at the border there are a number of different routes you can take to get off the 2 laner which takes you straight to Truro with a highway toll (about 4.00 for a bike) about half way there. At Truro you can remain on the 2 laner #104 through to the Cape Breton Causeway at Canso and beyond. You can also turn right off the 104 at Truro and on to Halifax by way of the 102.

Depending on what your interests are in NS, I can give you more specific information about what I prefer as the better motorcycle routes in the province if you wish. Just send me a PM. HTH

Thanks;

I would rather stay on the road, we just cant seem to stay off the bike.
I am planning on staying at a bed and breakfast in Mulgrave and take day trips from there. I hope to be able to stay 3-4 days. It will probably take me 4 days from FL and 4 days there and 4 days back. Add few days for putzing around and a great trip Im sure.
I will PM both of you when we get a little closer. I tend to plan to much so maybe we will just wing it.
Thanks again.

45 years riding and still more places to see.
2002 K1200LT
2016 R1200RT
IBA # 41935
post #5 of 9 Old Mar 28th, 2008, 8:25 am
ajs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke
Thanks;

I would rather stay on the road, we just cant seem to stay off the bike.
I am planning on staying at a bed and breakfast in Mulgrave and take day trips from there. I hope to be able to stay 3-4 days. It will probably take me 4 days from FL and 4 days there and 4 days back. Add few days for putzing around and a great trip Im sure.
I will PM both of you when we get a little closer. I tend to plan to much so maybe we will just wing it.
Thanks again.
I agree, some of the best rides are the unplanned ones. Mulgrave is a good launching point for day rides in that area of the province. Cape Breton Island could take up 2 of those days alone. The Cabot Trail would take a day and the circuit around the Bras d'Or Lakes (Bra Door) would take another. They both have their own appeal and charm especially for a motorcycle.

I see you are doing this trip in August. My wife and I are planning a 2 month trip across Canada on our LT. We will be leaving in early July and won't be back until sometime in September. When you get to NS you will probably be passing within a mile of our place in New Glasgow and we will be out west somewhere. Enjoy the trip and have a good ride.

In the meantime, if there is anything I can help you with on this end, just pm me any time.
post #6 of 9 Old Jul 23rd, 2008, 5:43 pm

every day I see dozens of bikes fly by my place on the Cabot Trail and always wonder, did they have a good trip? Did they spend a night up here and relax? did they take in a CB muisic night , a whale watch , or have a few good Canadian beer?.
Maybe they are headed for Newfoundland?

I know the Trail is quite a ride , if it's a dandy in a car, it has to be a dandy on a bike.

We need some one to all start some kind of annual gathering . Would that be of intertest?
post #7 of 9 Old Jul 23rd, 2008, 9:08 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabottrail
...or have a few good Canadian beer?.
Too Funny !!! Canada isn't known for it's good beer.

Mark
'07 RT
post #8 of 9 Old Jul 23rd, 2008, 9:22 pm

I just got back a couple weeks ago from a week of riding around NS. Here's my tips to you;
1) Don't take the ferry. Huge waster of money, and not much of a time save if you're going to Halifax or North. Plus the ride was not that smooth and I should have taken a couple shots of dramamine or something.

2) Watch out on the Cabot Trail especially the Eastern side of Cape Breton. The road is very rough and it would not be hard to be caught off guard. I actually hit my skid plate while rounding a corner which really scared me as I keep seeing pictures on here of people snapping their tranny housing open from hitting stuff with it. (It didn't do any damage thankfully) The trip was so rough that my bike actually caught air a couple times, once it felt like I was more than a foot off the ground (it was probably a lot less, but it felt high on the LT ). I got in the habit of checking for loose bolts at night before going to bed and have a headlight problem that developed the last two days anyway.

3) On the plus side however, it is absolutely beautiful up there, and as cabottrail has mentioned, focus on one area, and spend the time to enjoy it. The people I met were really cool, the scenery is great and there is a LOT to do. Whale watching, Tours, sightseeing, hiking, camping, etc. Be sure to check out Fortress Louisburgh if you have time as that was a really great time for me - I went to the dinner theater and the people were really fun to hang out with. Worth the every cent. I wish I would have spent more time in Cape Breton, and will next time.

4) OH, and watch the speed up there. From what I understand the Canadians passed some very punitive laws against speeders- I think it's a huge fine for 50Kph over the limit or something like that. Bring your passport too to cross the border.

5) BRING BUG SPRAY. At night there were so many skeeters swarming my tent that it really made a nice breeze. THANK GOD FOR NETTING.....
HTH

PS - when you get to half a tank - get gas. The stations can be a little more sparse than I'm used to around here.

R1200GSA Hi Ho, Hi Ho, It's off to Alaska I go!
(Down to ONE BIKE - ARGH!)

Last edited by KMC1; Jul 23rd, 2008 at 9:23 pm. Reason: OH yeah, get gas!
post #9 of 9 Old Jul 23rd, 2008, 10:04 pm

How was the beer???

Nelson
99 K1200LT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in