MCNews editorial mentioning this community - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 41 Old Mar 19th, 2008, 12:37 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Post MCNews editorial mentioning this community

Has anyone read the “Online Motorcycle Boards” article in the April issue of Motorcycle Consumer News? I don’t see any of the concerns on this board that LT Snyder brought up in his article, but I have noticed that we are part of the “Enthusiast Communities, LLC” that he mentioned. I have a tremendous amount of respect and appreciation for those that manage and contribute to keeping this site the “Wellspring of Knowledge” that it is. (Pretty good entertainment, too) I have certainly gained a lot from this site and the CCRs are well organized -and great fun. Hopefully we can remain a “family” and not get over commercialized like the article suggest is happening to other similar boards. Just my $ .02.

Doug

2001 Pacific Blue LT
1992 750 Nighthawk
1985 VF700S Sabre
1976 CB550F SS
1973 CB350 Four
1972 Yamaha 250
MOA #134470
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 Old Mar 19th, 2008, 12:50 pm
Just ridin'

Re: MCNews article

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb550f
Has anyone read the “Online Motorcycle Boards” article in the April issue of Motorcycle Consumer News? I don’t see any of the concerns on this board that LT Snyder brought up in his article, but I have noticed that we are part of the “Enthusiast Communities, LLC” that he mentioned. I have a tremendous amount of respect and appreciation for those that manage and contribute to keeping this site the “Wellspring of Knowledge” that it is. (Pretty good entertainment, too) I have certainly gained a lot from this site and the CCRs are well organized -and great fun. Hopefully we can remain a “family” and not get over commercialized like the article suggest is happening to other similar boards. Just my $ .02.
Yes, I read the article. I wrote a letter to the editor asking them how they can print such totally inaccurate drivel, with no attempt at fact checking. I was hopeful they would respond to my email prior to addressing the editorial in this forum.

You can find the editorial here.

The facts are that Enthusiast Communities, LLC is the company Andy, Jeff and I formed when we moved this forum to vBulletin based software - October 1, 2005. While Mr Snyder may have 'just noticed' the blurb at the bottom, it has been there for two and one half years. While he rails at the corporate takeover of web communities such as this, the fact is that you belong to one of the few communities that is owned by motorcyclists, operated by motorcyclists and committed to the joy of motorcycling.

Why is there an Enthusiast Communities, LLC? We formed a company (a limited liability partnership) as a means of providing a modicum of legal insulation between an entity we operate as a hobby and our personal lives.

You will not notice banner ads on this website and we are not beholdin' to any of our supporting dealers. Mr Snyder estimates that we bring in $175,000 per year through the advertising on this website. A simple check at the bottom under 'Support this Community' will show you that vendors and dealers pay $120 per year to support this community. If Mr Snyder had taken a simple look at this fact or if he had bothered to contact us to find out the facts, he would have found that his estimate of advertising income for this community was off by over $172,000.00.

The facts are simple:
  • This community is NOT owned by a faceless corporation. It is owned by individuals who are committed to the motorcycling community.
  • This website does not have banner ads, Google ad ribbons or any other form of intrusive advertising.
  • The owners of this website do not derive any income whatsoever from this community, in fact we are net contributors.
  • The individuals who own this community are the same ones who started it nearly 6 years ago. I worked with Bruce Wagner in 1999 as we were starting the original eGroups mailing list that was the true beginning of this community.
If it sounds like I am more than a little pissed - I am. The fact that Mr. Snyder would jump to such totally inaccurate conclusions and print baseless innuendo really floors me. MCN would allow such an editorial be published and completely ignore my written demands for an opportunity to correct the inaccuracies, makes me sceptical of the value of anything they publish. To suggest that this community is one of 'those' that the author is so adamantly opposed to , causes harm to the very kind of community that he laments having lost.

This community does not control the message. The only control we place on our members posting is to make it compliant with the site guidelines. The supporting vendors and dealers do not influence the control of the message around here. In fact we control their ability to overwhelm us with their message. Vendors are confined to their own forums - we completely prohibit any commercial messages within our general forums.

If you ever want to speak with the 'faceless' corporation that is Enthusiast Communities, LLC drop a PM to me or Andy. Or you can look for other individuals who volunteer as Moderators around here - most of them spend more time helping to manage this community than they do riding.

You can also find me working on another CCR this year (my 9th) along with many other hard working and unpaid volunteers.

Please take a moment and drop MCN an email at [email protected] and let them know how disappointed you are that they would do a hatchet job on one of the few remaining enthusiast owned and operated motorcycle web communities remaining. Ask them why they chose not to respond to a request for clarification. Ask them why you should trust them to get any facts correct , when they completely missed on these that are easy to check.

Below is the message I sent them.

To Whom it May Concern;

I just read an editorial in your April 2008 issue by LT Snyder. It was quite distressing to read some glaring errors and incorrect suppositions in the article. I am the managing partner of Enthusiast Communities, LLC. We own and operate bmwlt.com and www.k-bikes.com. We have owned and operated these sites since the beginning, we created both of them. I am currently an owner of 5 BMW motorcycles and am a frequent participant in the forums. We created www.bmwlt.com (then www.k1200lt.net) April1 , 2002 to replace the message group we had created on the old eGroups (now Yahoogroups) mailing list. We created the k1200lt forum on eGroups in 1999 as we were among the first to own a K1200LT – I purchased the second or third sold in Denver. When the advertising on Yahoogroups got too intrusive, we started the k1200lt.net forums, at our own expense, to provide our members with a focused community, free from intrusive advertising. I still operate the Yahoogroups k1200lt list for those who simply will not leave that format.

In October 2005 we formed Enthusiast Communities, LLC, primarily to provide a layer of insulation between this hobby and our personal finances. Enthusiast Communities, LLC is still limited to two partners - I am the manager and Andreas Pleschutznig is the technical manager. We own 100% of the company and we are definitely not some monolithic corporation out for profit.

When the author of the editorial states that he ‘estimated the board was taking in approximately $175,000 each year in sponsor fees’, he couldn’t be further off target. If you click on the ‘Support this Community’ button at the bottom of either of our websites, you will see that vendor or dealer sponsorship costs just $120.00 per year. Our current vendor income generates less in revenue than we spend on ISP charges alone. In all of our years of operating these communities we have not received any financial compensation whatsoever. We have not even tried to recoup our initial expenses we incurred when we formed the independent operation nearly six years ago.

The supporting dealers and vendors have no control over what is posted in our communities whatsoever. We operate communities that encourage and support the completely free flow of information among our members. The only control we impose on posting in our forums is if there is a violation of our clearly stated site guidelines.

I am one of the founding directors of Curve Cowboy Reunion, have been chairman of that organization in 2003 and 2005 and am currently the vice-Chairman for 2008. I am slated to be the chairman again for our tenth Reunion in 2009. That organization is a IRS 501(c)3 non-profit dedicated to the BMW luxury touring community. Our annual reunion generates over $20,000 in charitable contributions given to local charities at the end of each year’s reunion. You can find out more about that organization at www.curvecowboyreunion.com. To mention Enthusiast Communities, LLC as one of the bad guys, is a complete disservice to our current and future membership. If the author of the editorial had done even a modicum of due diligence, he would have learned that we operate one of the few communities that remains true to our members. All he would have had to do is contact us to ask us about the board ownership, the makeup of our partnership or any other item that he merely supposes in the article. He would have gotten concise and open answers from me. If you or the author wants to speak directly with me, I am available at any time. You can find me hanging out on our communities with the username of ‘Randy’, you can email me or you can call me at (303) XXX-XXXX.

It is unfortunate that the author of your editorial was so careless in his investigation of the ‘facts’ stated in his article. The truth about us and what we do would probably be a better read and inspire a lot more interest from your readers. I am surprised and a little disappointed that a magazine such as yours, which I always thought to be as pure as our communities, would print something without any effort to fact check. I will certainly read any articles published in your magazine with a skeptical eye.

I must, most emphatically, ask you to publish an equally visible article stating the truth about our communities. I am hopeful that your blatant misstatement of the facts will not cause any long-term harm to come to our communities.

Randy Prade,
Manager,
Enthusiast Communities, LLC
www.bmwlt.com
www.k-bikes.com

The information contained in this message is intended for the use of the individual(s) or entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged and confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use, dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify me by return email.

Randy Prade
Aurora, CO

Just ride it!
Meet Riley

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Randy; Mar 19th, 2008 at 1:48 pm.
post #3 of 41 Old Mar 19th, 2008, 3:04 pm
BMW Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy
Yes, I read the article. I wrote a letter to the editor asking them how they can print such totally inaccurate drivel, with no attempt at fact checking. I was hopeful they would respond to my email prior to addressing the editorial in this forum.

You can find the editorial here.

The facts are that Enthusiast Communities, LLC is the company Andy, Jeff and I formed when we moved this forum to vBulletin based software - October 1, 2005. While Mr Snyder may have 'just noticed' the blurb at the bottom, it has been there for two and one half years. While he rails at the corporate takeover of web communities such as this, the fact is that you belong to one of the few communities that is owned by motorcyclists, operated by motorcyclists and committed to the joy of motorcycling.

Why is there an Enthusiast Communities, LLC? We formed a company (a limited liability partnership) as a means of providing a modicum of legal insulation between an entity we operate as a hobby and our personal lives.

You will not notice banner ads on this website and we are not beholdin' to any of our supporting dealers. Mr Snyder estimates that we bring in $175,000 per year through the advertising on this website. A simple check at the bottom under 'Support this Community' will show you that vendors and dealers pay $120 per year to support this community. If Mr Snyder had taken a simple look at this fact or if he had bothered to contact us to find out the facts, he would have found that his estimate of advertising income for this community was off by over $172,000.00.

The facts are simple:
  • This community is NOT owned by a faceless corporation. It is owned by individuals who are committed to the motorcycling community.
  • This website does not have banner ads, Google ad ribbons or any other form of intrusive advertising.
  • The owners of this website do not derive any income whatsoever from this community, in fact we are net contributors.
  • The individuals who own this community are the same ones who started it nearly 6 years ago. I worked with Bruce Wagner in 1999 as we were starting the original eGroups mailing list that was the true beginning of this community.
If it sounds like I am more than a little pissed - I am. The fact that Mr. Snyder would jump to such totally inaccurate conclusions and print baseless innuendo really floors me. MCN would allow such an editorial be published and completely ignore my written demands for an opportunity to correct the inaccuracies, makes me sceptical of the value of anything they publish. To suggest that this community is one of 'those' that the author is so adamantly opposed to , causes harm to the very kind of community that he laments having lost.

This community does not control the message. The only control we place on our members posting is to make it compliant with the site guidelines. The supporting vendors and dealers do not influence the control of the message around here. In fact we control their ability to overwhelm us with their message. Vendors are confined to their own forums - we completely prohibit any commercial messages within our general forums.

If you ever want to speak with the 'faceless' corporation that is Enthusiast Communities, LLC drop a PM to me or Andy. Or you can look for other individuals who volunteer as Moderators around here - most of them spend more time helping to manage this community than they do riding.

You can also find me working on another CCR this year (my 9th) along with many other hard working and unpaid volunteers.

Please take a moment and drop MCN an email at [email protected] and let them know how disappointed you are that they would do a hatchet job on one of the few remaining enthusiast owned and operated motorcycle web communities remaining. Ask them why they chose not to respond to a request for clarification. Ask them why you should trust them to get any facts correct , when they completely missed on these that are easy to check.

Below is the message I sent them.

To Whom it May Concern;

I just read an editorial in your April 2008 issue by LT Snyder. It was quite distressing to read some glaring errors and incorrect suppositions in the article. I am the managing partner of Enthusiast Communities, LLC. We own and operate bmwlt.com and www.k-bikes.com. We have owned and operated these sites since the beginning, we created both of them. I am currently an owner of 5 BMW motorcycles and am a frequent participant in the forums. We created www.bmwlt.com (then www.k1200lt.net) April1 , 2002 to replace the message group we had created on the old eGroups (now Yahoogroups) mailing list. We created the k1200lt forum on eGroups in 1999 as we were among the first to own a K1200LT – I purchased the second or third sold in Denver. When the advertising on Yahoogroups got too intrusive, we started the k1200lt.net forums, at our own expense, to provide our members with a focused community, free from intrusive advertising. I still operate the Yahoogroups k1200lt list for those who simply will not leave that format.

In October 2005 we formed Enthusiast Communities, LLC, primarily to provide a layer of insulation between this hobby and our personal finances. Enthusiast Communities, LLC is still limited to two partners - I am the manager and Andreas Pleschutznig is the technical manager. We own 100% of the company and we are definitely not some monolithic corporation out for profit.

When the author of the editorial states that he ‘estimated the board was taking in approximately $175,000 each year in sponsor fees’, he couldn’t be further off target. If you click on the ‘Support this Community’ button at the bottom of either of our websites, you will see that vendor or dealer sponsorship costs just $120.00 per year. Our current vendor income generates less in revenue than we spend on ISP charges alone. In all of our years of operating these communities we have not received any financial compensation whatsoever. We have not even tried to recoup our initial expenses we incurred when we formed the independent operation nearly six years ago.

The supporting dealers and vendors have no control over what is posted in our communities whatsoever. We operate communities that encourage and support the completely free flow of information among our members. The only control we impose on posting in our forums is if there is a violation of our clearly stated site guidelines.

I am one of the founding directors of Curve Cowboy Reunion, have been chairman of that organization in 2003 and 2005 and am currently the vice-Chairman for 2008. I am slated to be the chairman again for our tenth Reunion in 2009. That organization is a IRS 501(c)3 non-profit dedicated to the BMW luxury touring community. Our annual reunion generates over $20,000 in charitable contributions given to local charities at the end of each year’s reunion. You can find out more about that organization at www.curvecowboyreunion.com. To mention Enthusiast Communities, LLC as one of the bad guys, is a complete disservice to our current and future membership. If the author of the editorial had done even a modicum of due diligence, he would have learned that we operate one of the few communities that remains true to our members. All he would have had to do is contact us to ask us about the board ownership, the makeup of our partnership or any other item that he merely supposes in the article. He would have gotten concise and open answers from me. If you or the author wants to speak directly with me, I am available at any time. You can find me hanging out on our communities with the username of ‘Randy’, you can email me or you can call me at (303) XXX-XXXX.

It is unfortunate that the author of your editorial was so careless in his investigation of the ‘facts’ stated in his article. The truth about us and what we do would probably be a better read and inspire a lot more interest from your readers. I am surprised and a little disappointed that a magazine such as yours, which I always thought to be as pure as our communities, would print something without any effort to fact check. I will certainly read any articles published in your magazine with a skeptical eye.

I must, most emphatically, ask you to publish an equally visible article stating the truth about our communities. I am hopeful that your blatant misstatement of the facts will not cause any long-term harm to come to our communities.

Randy Prade,
Manager,
Enthusiast Communities, LLC
www.bmwlt.com
www.k-bikes.com

The information contained in this message is intended for the use of the individual(s) or entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged and confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use, dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify me by return email.
Thanks for the heads up Randy. Sounds like the guy has an axe to grind about something. Hopefully he will stand up and print a retraction with the facts...

2007 G650 X Challenge
2006 GT200
2005 R1200GS

post #4 of 41 Old Mar 19th, 2008, 4:50 pm

Re: MCNews editorial mentioning this community

Yet another good media story that didn't get ruined by letting the facts get in the way.

I was once a member of a forum that WAS taken over by a faceless company.
The difference was clear;

The old editor of the magazine (who started the forum) was online every day and posted away so much we wondered how the magazine ever got published.
The new editor - 6 posts in 6 months. All but the first warning people to stop doing the magazine down or get barred.

Mr Randy has posted 3400+ times on this incarnation alone - If you were running this as a faceless business, we would be paying a fortune for your advice!!

If you wanted to take the money and run, my advice would be to aproach BMW and show them how much they are loosing by this community due to the empowerment it has given us and our spanners! They would give you a small fortune to take this off the air and get everyone back in their overpriced service departments.

Personally I would prefer to give the community my money and share some real impartial advice from some great people that ride the same bike as me.

"Whenever you find you are on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect" Mark Twain

post #5 of 41 Old Mar 19th, 2008, 5:00 pm

I just sent an email also. That was sure a blatantly ignorant article if there ever was one!

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #6 of 41 Old Mar 19th, 2008, 5:39 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Shred
Thanks for the heads up Randy. Sounds like the guy has an axe to grind about something. Hopefully he will stand up and print a retraction with the facts...
...in page 64 and in small print!
I just sent them an e-mail as well.

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

Last edited by zippy_gg; Mar 19th, 2008 at 5:55 pm.
post #7 of 41 Old Mar 19th, 2008, 6:21 pm

LT Snyder is an a$$. He counts up the number of sponsors on the site, and by his "wild guess" (what he calls an "estimate") comes up with $175,000.00? Blatantly poor journalism... How does that article contribute to, or have anything to do with, motorcycling?

He didn't even get the number of "Banner Ads" (0) correct.

FWIW - who cares if this site actually shows a profit anyway (I hope it does)??? Is MCNews a non-profit?

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
CCR-R: 2018, Russellville
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
Sold but "beloved" ride: K12 LT - "Pepe"
IBA #31242 (SSx2, BB, BBG)
MOA #136148

-
post #8 of 41 Old Mar 19th, 2008, 7:12 pm

It confirms what I have observed for a long time:

Anytime I see or hear something published that I have first hand knowledge of, they (TV, Radio, Paper) have it at least partially wrong.

No surprise here. The salvation is the Internet. If you search enough different sources, eventually a clear picture emerges.

Randy, Andy, and all the volunteers, keep up the GREAT job. The friends we have met, the knowledge I have gained (not limited to motorcycle issues) and the satisfaction arrived from helping others are priceless. And if we need to contribute more to keep it as commercial free and as friendly as it is: Let me know how much!

You guys should add up how much we have given to charities, list the charities and demand that they publish this. Maybe we can get the charities to send testimonials too.

Wolfgang

K1200LT 1999 Champaign SOLD
R1100RS 1994 Teal SOLD
R1150RT 2003 Blue (Sold)
R1100RT 1997 Blue

Pest, Budapest Hungary

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness."
Mark Twain

post #9 of 41 Old Mar 19th, 2008, 8:44 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgang
You guys should add up how much we have given to charities, list the charities and demand that they publish this. Maybe we can get the charities to send testimonials too.
Or better yet, MCNews can donate to the CCR charity event...!

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT

post #10 of 41 Old Mar 19th, 2008, 8:50 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Thumbs up Re: MCNews editorial mentioning this community

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb550f
As I originally stated, I haven't observed the kind of practices LT Snyder alleged in his article. I also did not know that "Enthusiast Communities, LLC" was a 2-person "corporation". In any case I have fired off an email to MCN questioning their tactics and integrity. I am a looong time subscriber and made note of that to them(if it makes any difference).

Regardless, I'll say again that I have gained a lot from this site, appreciate those that make it what it is, and I will continue to support it. Thanks.

Doug

2001 Pacific Blue LT
1992 750 Nighthawk
1985 VF700S Sabre
1976 CB550F SS
1973 CB350 Four
1972 Yamaha 250
MOA #134470
post #11 of 41 Old Mar 19th, 2008, 9:46 pm

Also sent an email to Dave Searle to publish a correction. Thanks Randy

"The idea is to die young as late as possible"

Barney Rubble (rider); Wilma Flintstone (pillion).
2000LTC CHAMPAGNE, Most prominent color at early CCR's
BMWMOA 89402
post #12 of 41 Old Mar 19th, 2008, 11:10 pm
Bouncer

MCNews has a forum where you can express your opinion as well.

http://www.mcnews.com/mcn/board/Topic29642-4-1.aspx

'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue

"I am hoping for an asteroid impact to put all this climate change nonsense to bed."
-
post #13 of 41 Old Mar 19th, 2008, 11:26 pm

Dear "faceless ones"...

Keep up the good work (obviously not an "outsourced" product)

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #14 of 41 Old Mar 20th, 2008, 2:35 am
Super Moderator

Yet another reason why I dropped my subscription to this rag. Man has it gone downhill over the years.

I sent them an email as well.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

post #15 of 41 Old Mar 20th, 2008, 2:45 pm
BMW Guru

I sent an email too. I'll post if I get any response...

2007 G650 X Challenge
2006 GT200
2005 R1200GS

post #16 of 41 Old Mar 20th, 2008, 8:43 pm
Some guy on the Interwebs

Quote:
I sent an email too. I'll post if I get any response...
+1

I too feel this mags quality has gone done in the testing/reporting elements, especially since they went color last month. Every bike test reads the same...

Hal
Lodi, California

If you aren't good for anything else, you can always serve as a bad example.

HDDC Posse

post #17 of 41 Old Mar 20th, 2008, 9:00 pm

Thumbs down Re: MCNews editorial mentioning this community

"LT Snyder" is a complete idiot. What a bunch of drivel, I guess he simply could not find anything interesting to write about so decided to make up a bunch of ****.

I just canceled my subscription to the new and improved "Hollywood" MCN with prejudice.

What a worthless rag.

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #18 of 41 Old Mar 20th, 2008, 9:45 pm

Randy: You have learned something that I learned some years ago. After being involved in several Newsworthy stories, I discovered that they were just that (STORIES), The Arthur never took the time to fully understand what he was writing about, only in a hurry to print/ report the story. Therefore the public never gets the true or full story.

It is to the point that the only information from the "NEWS" is the weather and they cant get that right most of the time!

You would think that an article written for a monthly magazine would have plenty of time to research the facts, it is not like having a deadline before the newshour.

NOGILLS2

Booze Brother# 69
2003 K1200LTE "BEERBURNER" RIP 07/21/09
2006 Aluma Trailer "AFTERBURNER" SOLD
2007 ST1300ABS "Quicksilver"

post #19 of 41 Old Mar 20th, 2008, 10:06 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonKMiller
"LT Snyder" is a complete idiot. What a bunch of drivel, I guess he simply could not find anything interesting to write about so decided to make up a bunch of ****.

I just canceled my subscription to the new and improved "Hollywood" MCN with prejudice.

What a worthless rag.
Best thing you can do...If you dont agree with the crap they print.

Nelson
99 K1200LT
post #20 of 41 Old Mar 20th, 2008, 11:45 pm
Cat Herder

Garage

This is a perfect example why I can stand to read "Motor Trend" and other such rags.... "The Motor Trend Car of the Year" always goes to the highest bidder... not to the car that is actually a dependable good car.

Thanks for keeping this wonderful site up and running, everyone in this community appreciates it.

Tvguy
'16 R1200RT - "Golden Eye"
'11 R1200RT - "Night Fury" SOLD
'02 K1200LTE - "The Silver Bullet" SOLD

post #21 of 41 Old Mar 21st, 2008, 2:00 am
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOGILLS2
After being involved in several Newsworthy stories, I discovered that they were just that (STORIES), The Arthur never took the time to fully understand what he was writing about, only in a hurry to print/ report the story. Therefore the public never gets the true or full story.
And that's just assuming it's the harried reporters and editors overlooking things and making simple mistakes, rather than the upper brass actively trying to spin everything to their own ends. Keep up the vigilance guys, it's just gonna get thicker and deeper as November approaches.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #22 of 41 Old Mar 21st, 2008, 6:39 pm
Cat Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveDragon
Still no reply from Franke or LT Snyder.
You *REALLY* thought you would get a *REAL* response? The way I see it Mr. Snyder wrote an article where he did not do his journalistic duty to even check the facts he himself came up with, and now there is not enough space in the paper to backpedal his way out of that, other than to admit he was wrong. And as to the chances of that happen in an equally prominent visible spot in the paper: I'll offer a friendly wager of $1 against that. Only real Journalists do that and can do that. But then, a real journalist wouldn't have made a mistake like that in the first place.

Anywhoo. I think this will end up to become a verb: "You did another LTSnyder on me" meaning you spread another lie. Or worse: "I will mcn you" : I am gonna lie about you and I will even print it!. LOL
post #23 of 41 Old Mar 21st, 2008, 9:24 pm
Gold Supporter

I'll echo what others have said - Wolfgang said it best I think -- Randy, Andy, and all the volunteers, keep up the GREAT job. The friends we have met, the knowledge I have gained (not limited to motorcycle issues) and the satisfaction arrived from helping others are priceless. And if we need to contribute more to keep it as commercial free and as friendly as it is: Let me know how much!

I followed Ron's lead and canceled my subscription (I am not as optimistic as the Dragon is) with the following comment...
"LT Snyder's editorial in April was grossly inaccurate and should never have made it past the review process. Consequently, I no longer have faith in the integrity of the magazine..."

So, what I would have spent on this magazine will now get added here...

Thanks,
Shawn

Bartlesville, Oklahoma
'03 K1200LT Titan Silver "Big Iron"
BMWMOA #118204
post #24 of 41 Old Mar 21st, 2008, 9:46 pm

Talking Re: MCNews editorial mentioning this community

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfxray
So, what I would have spent on this magazine will now get added here...
and that, my friend, is how the $175,000 figure came out!

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT

post #25 of 41 Old Mar 22nd, 2008, 5:53 pm
THE Democracy Doctor

Location: We LOVE illegals and Socialists, Sunny, Southern Kommyfornia,

Quote:
Originally Posted by hallzee
....He counts up the number of sponsors on the site, and by his "wild guess" (what he calls an "estimate") comes up with $175,000.00?....
A classic WAG! Wild Ass Guess. Like an estimate, but a lot "looser."
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvguy
...."The Motor Trend Car of the Year" always goes to the highest bidder... not to the car that is actually a dependable good car....
Yup! That's why I trust Consumer's Union for that stuff.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." (Some really OLD friggin' White dude who couldn't have possibly known what he was talking about!) WARNING: Official HATE speech!
post #26 of 41 Old Mar 22nd, 2008, 7:03 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I quite getting MCNews 15 years ago . They were crying about the price of a set of saddle bags on a BMW . They were cheaper that a set on a Honda at the time in there article , but that were wa..wa..wa.. . So I stopped getting it . There opinion ain't worth the paper it's written on

Patric Blackman
2002 K1200LT/Hannigan2+2
2010 R1200GSA ...1987 Helix...
AMA Charter Lifemember
37 Year Member of both BMWMOA & BMWRA

post #27 of 41 Old Apr 10th, 2008, 10:31 pm

It's been a while but I vaguely recall a quote from one of my high school courses along the lines of "He who doth protest too much...." Don't recall the rest of it. Does this ring a bell with anyone on the board?
post #28 of 41 Old Apr 10th, 2008, 11:11 pm
Just ridin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by hendsv
It's been a while but I vaguely recall a quote from one of my high school courses along the lines of "He who doth protest too much...." Don't recall the rest of it. Does this ring a bell with anyone on the board?
The quote I remember was from William Shakespeare: "The lady doth protest too much, methinks" - though I am not sure how it applies to this.

In Shakespeare's time when Queen Gertrude uttered the line in Hamlet, the word 'protest' had a completely different meaning. In the context of the time protest did not mean to object, but to vow or to declare solemnly, much like the primary meaning of 'protestation'.

Randy Prade
Aurora, CO

Just ride it!
Meet Riley

post #29 of 41 Old Apr 10th, 2008, 11:14 pm
BMW Guru

Quote:
The quote I remember was from William Shakespeare: "The lady doth protest too much, methinks" - though I am not sure how it applies to this.

When Queen Gertrude uttered the line in Hamlet, the word 'protest' had a completely different meaning in Shakespeare's time. In the context of the time protest did not mean to object, but to vow or to declare solemnly, much like the primary meaning of 'protestation'.

He's just trying to stir the pot Randy with out actually saying anything or adding anything meaningful to the discussion...

2007 G650 X Challenge
2006 GT200
2005 R1200GS

post #30 of 41 Old Apr 11th, 2008, 11:37 am
Lifetime Supporter

This just adds to the laundry list of reasons why I let my long time subscription to MCN lapse. It's really gone down hill in the last 18 months.

The gentleman that make this place a reality are above reproach in my book.

Todd R.
Grapevine, TX USA

'78 R80/7
'06 FJR1300A

"You will now be thrown into the Obamaucracy. In his belly you will find a new definition of pain and suffering as you are slowly taxed to death over the next four years."
post #31 of 41 Old Apr 11th, 2008, 1:27 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Thumbs down Re: MCNews editorial mentioning this community

I'm waiting another month or 2 just to see if anything else is printed in MCNews about all of our letters and emails protesting this deceitful article. In the absence of seeing a retraction or apology, I to, will be canceling my subscription. Which, by the way, I have had for about 20 years. Since I haven't received a response from either of the 2 emails I have sent, I guess they won't miss me. Now let's see if they are honest enough to refund my 2 year prepaid subscrition.

Doug

2001 Pacific Blue LT
1992 750 Nighthawk
1985 VF700S Sabre
1976 CB550F SS
1973 CB350 Four
1972 Yamaha 250
MOA #134470
post #32 of 41 Old Apr 11th, 2008, 2:18 pm

Quote:
Oh really? Is this, or is this not, the new headquarters of Enthusiast Communities, LLC???

Sorry, Randy. You know I have a warped sense of humor.

LT Snyder's motivation is perfectly clear here. The web is making print magazines obsolete, so he's lobbing a few grenades. However, he crossed the line with such vicious slander. It's appalling. This is going to backfire on MCN big time. They owe you and Andy a huge apology. I can't think of anyone who's done more for the BMW motorcycling community than you guys.
post #33 of 41 Old Apr 11th, 2008, 2:38 pm
Bouncer

Yep, you can see my office right up there at the top. Close enough that I can make it to the helicopter pad on the roof in under 4 seconds. Wouldn't want to waste any time getting to the airport so I can jet across the country in that shiny new Gulfstream G650 this site bought us.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 4.png
Views:	173
Size:	662.4 KB
ID:	17371  

"I am hoping for an asteroid impact to put all this climate change nonsense to bed."
-

Last edited by eljeffe; Apr 11th, 2008 at 2:45 pm.
post #34 of 41 Old Apr 11th, 2008, 2:39 pm
BMW Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljeffe
Yep, you can see my office right up there at the top. Close enough that I can make it to the helicopter pad on the roof in under 4 seconds. Wouldn't want to waste any time getting to the airport so I can jet across the country in that shiny new Gulfstream G6 this site bought us.
Don't forget I'm using the jet this weekend. Gonna spend some time is the corporate condo in Cabo

2007 G650 X Challenge
2006 GT200
2005 R1200GS

post #35 of 41 Old Apr 11th, 2008, 2:41 pm
Just ridin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog
Oh really? Is this, or is this not, the new headquarters of Enthusiast Communities, LLC???

Sorry, Randy. You know I have a warped sense of humor.

LT Snyder's motivation is perfectly clear here. The web is making print magazines obsolete, so he's lobbing a few grenades. However, he crossed the line with such vicious slander. It's appalling. This is going to backfire on MCN big time. They owe you and Andy a huge apology. I can't think of anyone who's done more for the BMW motorcycling community than you guys.
Thanks Joel - but I really like that building. Maybe we should rethink this whole thing.

All joking aside many, many people have contributed to the success of this community. Of course you know that, since you have been here since the beginning.

Randy Prade
Aurora, CO

Just ride it!
Meet Riley

post #36 of 41 Old Apr 11th, 2008, 2:48 pm
Bouncer

Quote:
Don't forget I'm using the jet this weekend. Gonna spend some time is the corporate condo in Cabo
I think Randy has it booked for that trip to India. We're outsouring the entire community.

Like this educational video shows: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=3XGJq8wrw5I

-
post #37 of 41 Old Apr 11th, 2008, 2:52 pm

hey Joel,

As a result of your hilarious irrevrence....you owe me a keyboard.

BTW did you zoom in on the center top of that building?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	MainBld_Large.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	104.7 KB
ID:	17372  

Jeff in Myrtle Beach
'01 LTC
'99 Icon champagne
'02 KLR 650
TZ 185 2 stroke
Honda R100R beater

post #38 of 41 Old Apr 11th, 2008, 3:01 pm
Just ridin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffklt
Now that will really lower the value of that property. Yuk!

Randy Prade
Aurora, CO

Just ride it!
Meet Riley

post #39 of 41 Old Apr 11th, 2008, 3:26 pm

Well, heck if this big Corp goes Public I want some stock baby since it's a valuable commodity.

Becoming a contributing member to this forum is the best way to vent...donate now!

BeemerRiderBob
Dallas/Ft. Worth

'82 R100 Sidecar
'91 R100 GS BumbleBee
'93 R100 GS/PD
'02 K1200 LTC- KIA 09/04/07
'03 KTM 450 Exc (living in Colorado)
'08 R1200 GS Adventure (Joy)

Only 41% of the World Left to Visit!

post #40 of 41 Old Apr 11th, 2008, 6:05 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffklt
hey Joel,

As a result of your hilarious irrevrence....you owe me a keyboard.

Now it's my turn, I hacked up another brain cell. Thanks mang!

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #41 of 41 Old Apr 11th, 2008, 8:02 pm

I got a shot of part of the IT Team in that big fancy office building...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	geeks-group-shot.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	30.7 KB
ID:	17378  

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
CCR-R: 2018, Russellville
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
Sold but "beloved" ride: K12 LT - "Pepe"
IBA #31242 (SSx2, BB, BBG)
MOA #136148

-

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in