Computer Question?? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Mar 15th, 2008, 2:43 pm Thread Starter

Computer Question??

I have a Dell Inspiron 6000 laptop and I dropped it the other day, since then my cd/dvd player is not working. What can I check or do to try to get it to work again?
Thanks

NOGILLS2

Booze Brother# 69
2003 K1200LTE "BEERBURNER" RIP 07/21/09
2006 Aluma Trailer "AFTERBURNER" SOLD
2007 ST1300ABS "Quicksilver"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Mar 15th, 2008, 2:46 pm

Re: Computer Question??

Best thing I can think of it is to drop it on the other side. Maybe what got dislodged with fall back into place.

B D R
post #3 of 6 Old Mar 15th, 2008, 3:23 pm

The drive is probably toast but don't fret..."Though the optical drive doesn't have a lever for popping it out, you can boost it out by its lower edge after removing a security screw on the bottom of the case."
About 90% of all notebook makers use Toshiba optical drives and they are plentiful on E bay. Just remove the drive and look for the decals on it with the model/part number on it an do a search on E bay for it. The coverplate with the eject button on it will come off so if you find one without it you can swap it over.
The drive may be in a caddy (a Dell specific adaptor) that you'll also have to swap over. If it does reside in a caddy you should be able to use any Toshiba optical drive of the right height. So if you want to upgrade to a better drive, go for it. Even if it doesn't have a caddy you may be able to upgrade to a better drive as long as the drive doesn't have a propriarity connector (most use a "JAA" connector (small 50 pin connector)

Before you go buying a replacement, try removing the drive and re-seating it. If it still won't work it is time to replace it.

post #4 of 6 Old Mar 17th, 2008, 4:30 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunny
Best thing I can think of it is to drop it on the other side. Maybe what got dislodged with fall back into place.
Thanks for the advice Gunny, now I need a new keyboard also!! ROTFLMAO!!

NOGILLS2

Booze Brother# 69

post #5 of 6 Old Mar 21st, 2008, 5:39 pm Thread Starter

GET THIS! I brought my laptop to a local repair shop yesterday. He removed my cd/dvd drive, installed his, and found his did not work, informed me that I would need a new drive, cost to replace approx. $200.00. I informed him that I would retrive my computer and decide what to do. I was just sitting here surfing the net and decided to try the drive, hit the eject button and the drawer opened up, inserted a cd and behold music started playing! How cool is that?

NOGILLS2

Booze Brother# 69

post #6 of 6 Old Mar 21st, 2008, 6:33 pm

Almost as cool as watching the wifes cat chase my laser pointer around. Frustrates him bad when it runs up on the ceiling.

B D R

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in