Best Processor in a laptop? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old Mar 14th, 2008, 5:28 pm Thread Starter
Gold Supporter

Best Processor in a laptop?

This is for all of you in the know on computers: I am looking into getting another laptop and I am seeing various processors in them like Intel Centrino, Intel Pentium, AMD, etc. All seem to be "Duel Core" (what ever the hell that means). Is there a difference and if so which is best?

I am looking at Sony right now, because I like the layout of their key board. I have an HP now and hate the scroll function on the mouse pad, cause I can't type without the screen running up and down. Suggestions for that would be appreciated also.

Jerry
Look in the wolf's eyes and what do you see--A guardian spirit or fierce enemy?
2008 FLHTCU White Pearl

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old Mar 14th, 2008, 5:50 pm

Re: Best Processor in a laptop?

Personally? Don't bog yourself down with processor details. Go with OS (Vista, XP, other) that you prefer, assure you have enough memory, if you know better go for the fastest disk you can and that'll cover you for a while. Disk speed and quantity of memory are high on my list.

Mark
'07 RT
post #3 of 16 Old Mar 14th, 2008, 6:11 pm

I think the best is Intel Centrino Dual Core (two processors). Stick to XP at this time if you can. Otherwise Vista is OK. As brands Toshiba, Sony, Dell should be OK.

Matt Kas

13 Triumph Trophy SE Lunar Silver
12 Suzuki Burgman 650 Executive Pearl White

Laguna Niguel, Southern California (South Orange County)
"Riding Year around"

post #4 of 16 Old Mar 14th, 2008, 6:19 pm

A core two duo is tops. The Centrino isn't so much the processor as the chipset it sits on. Centrino is a technology package from Intel, it includes the processor, wireless network adaptor, and southbridge. It gives better battery performance by controlling voltage useage better.
So, for top end...Centrino Core Two Duo is it. If the laptop comes with Vista be sure to get 2 gigs of RAM.
post #5 of 16 Old Mar 14th, 2008, 6:20 pm
Cat Herder

Jerry,

With laptops there are WAY more important things as the processor. The first thing you should consider is how much weight you are willing to carry, then how do you want the screen to be, and then all the ancillary stuff.

In general more memory makes your PC faster for less money, then a faster disk is right next. The rpm of the disk is a very important factor determining speed.

AFTER that comes the CPU. In general for all 'normal' uses these days if you have enough memory Better or equal 2GB and a fast disk every laptop will do what you need, except if you are a real POWER user, like someone who does photo editing or other CPU and memory hungry applications all day long, THEN there are additional things to be taken into consideration.

Dual core CPU's are 'cool' and 'hip' but "joe Blow' will not be able to really use them, and paying extra for that CPU is 'luxury'

OTOH, normal Windows cannot, I repeat CANNOT efficiently work with more than 3GB of memory, so buying more than 3GB is waste, because the OS (XP just as Vista) WILL NOT MAKE USE OF IT.

Things look different when looking at a MAC. Mac's can make use of more memory. But at the same time I have to tell you if you are a normal every day user you'd be hard pressed to make use of even 4GB. Personally I don;t think you can again unless you are a power user, working memory hungry applications like Photoshop or Movie editing.
post #6 of 16 Old Mar 14th, 2008, 6:31 pm

Jerry... our friend Andy's right.. you should really think about the MAC... or get a laptop that will run LINUX... then you'll have something ... and lots of folks who would offer help if it goinks on you...

... http://www.linux-laptop.net/

http://www.linux.org/hardware/laptop.html

http://www.linuxcertified.com/linux_laptops.html

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #7 of 16 Old Mar 14th, 2008, 7:35 pm

I have and have had a large # of laptops and the best by a LONG shot have been the Sony's.(fewer problems, less aggravation, best ease of use).
Of course this is just my personal opinion

Roy Jorawsky
Deputy Chief - SFD
2002 K1200LT - "BackDraft" - Deceased
2008 HD Ultra Screaming Eagle

post #8 of 16 Old Mar 14th, 2008, 7:50 pm

Andy's the man when it comes to 'puters.

I'm about to get a new one myself and it will be a Mac for a lot of reasons.

If you positively can't stand to have a Nac, Tosiba makes good laptops. Went through 3 of them through the years and have never had any problems out of any of them. They just became obsolete, need a machine with the bells and whistles to stay up with things.

By the way, you can run Linux on any machine, correct me if I'm wrong but am running it on the Toshiba.

Have had Apples and/or a Mac since '82 or so. Matter of fact, still have my first Mac from '84, still works. complete with a 20meg hd.

B D R
post #9 of 16 Old Mar 15th, 2008, 3:32 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunny
By the way, you can run Linux on any machine, correct me if I'm wrong but am running it on the Toshiba.
You are correct...pretty much any laptop can run Linux, some just need a few "work arounds" to get it all working properly.
Toshiba does indeed make a very good laptop and they have been on the forefront of R&D on laptop components...super slim optical drives, micro hard drives, brighter, clearer displays, etc. I have an OLD Tecra 500 120 mhz P1 that still works great (I use it to run ALDL scanning software for my cars).
post #10 of 16 Old Mar 15th, 2008, 4:36 pm Thread Starter
Gold Supporter

My wife will have to use this machine occasionally for work so Mac and Linux are both out for me.

Andy, you mentioned that memory and disk speed were important. What speed and how much memory should I be looking at for normal applications?

I can't find a computer with XP on it. They all come with a couple of versions of Vista on them.

Like I said before I am really not brand shopping, cause I like the key board layout of the Sony's. I HATE that scroll bar on the mouse pad and most have it.

Jerry
2008 FLHTCU White Pearl

post #11 of 16 Old Mar 15th, 2008, 5:56 pm

If you/wife are a touch typer, Toshiba's laptops all use a full size keyboard...a nice plus.
You'd want 2 gigs of DDR2 RAM (for vista) and a 5,400 RPM hard drive.

Pretty much any of the major laptop mfg's would probably be suitable. It all boils down to what you want in the way of "bells & whistles". Toshiba has several models and several different levels of each. Sony has the Vaio with several different "series" of it and different levels of each series.
Lenovo is the IBM laptop that the Chinese bought out. At first they worked in cooperation with IBM building them. Their first offering without IBM's "help" bombed in the PC mag review.
Acer's Aspire laptops are a pretty good basic laptop, nothing that stands out but not junk either.
You may want to look at the reviews of the mfg's tech support, find the best ones and look at what they have to offer and make your final picks from that.
post #12 of 16 Old Mar 15th, 2008, 6:08 pm
Cat Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewuff
My wife will have to use this machine occasionally for work so Mac and Linux are both out for me.

Andy, you mentioned that memory and disk speed were important. What speed and how much memory should I be looking at for normal applications?
I would suggest you'd get a 2GB laptop. That is sufficient for Vista/XP. The harddisk I would say to go with the fastest one you can get. 5400rpm as the lower end. If they are still sold leave your finger off of the 3x00rpm drives, as this is a speed difference you WILL feel. If you can get a 7200 rpm frive. Get that, you'll like it.

One more thing to the HD's A couple of manufacturers start to offer solid state drives. If you can live with the smaller sizes that are offered (32 or 64GB) and are willing to spend the $700 extra, THAT is something you should seriously consider. Not only are solid state disks almost completely immune to shock, but they are also a FACTOR of 20-50 faster than any HD on the market.
post #13 of 16 Old Mar 18th, 2008, 5:48 am

Chipsets are horses for courses.

If you do a lot of gaming, you need the fastest duo chipsets you can get, otherwise the latest games won't work. Same if you download lots of videos to watch on your laptop.

If you do email, a bit of Internet browsing, some word processing and maybe the odd spreadsheet or presentation it makes no difference what chipset you have. Even a Pentium 2 will run those faster than you need them.

EG - my 'business laptop' has a 1.8GHz Sempron and I only have it because of the tax break on buying it and I had to have a 100MB LAN connection built in. My personal laptop runs at 400 Mhz and does exactly the same as the business one except no high speed LAN.

If you don't play games or videos you need to focus more on the ergonomics of the laptop. Do you want widescreen or not? What keyboard layout is best for you? And so on.

Objects in mirror may be disappearing faster than they seem...
post #14 of 16 Old Mar 18th, 2008, 6:00 am
Cooler on the east coast!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewuff

I can't find a computer with XP on it. They all come with a couple of versions of Vista on them.

Like I said before I am really not brand shopping, cause I like the key board layout of the Sony's. I HATE that scroll bar on the mouse pad and most have it.
Mac is not totally out. You can run windows on the mac not that you would want two OS on the lap top.
I personally have a dell lap top with XP on it because of work and networking bla bla bla. My home computer is IMac and very much prefer it overall. I wish I could use a Mac laptop.

Good luck

G-Glove
2003 Silver LTC
post #15 of 16 Old Mar 18th, 2008, 8:29 am Thread Starter
Gold Supporter

This weekend Office Depot put the computer I was looking at on sale so I snagged it while they still had it. I went with the Sony VAIO that was available in colors. It has 2GB with a 250GB 5400 RPM HD. The only down side (IMO) was it came with the souped up Vista and XP Pro is no longer available. I have the OS disk, but found out it wouldn't run some of the hardware this computer came with (Bluetooth and built in camera for starters) and wouldn't be compatable with some applications, so I will just learn to deal with Vista. I like the computer so far and it is so much faster and smaller (lighter) than my older HP and the screen is incredible. It has some kind of inhanced WiFi features that are great too, so I am happy.

Jerry
2008 FLHTCU White Pearl

post #16 of 16 Old Mar 18th, 2008, 9:54 am
Cooler on the east coast!!!

Jerry congratulations and happy surfing!

G-Glove
2003 Silver LTC

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in