Where do we draw the line? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 Old Mar 9th, 2008, 1:10 pm Thread Starter

Where do we draw the line?

I'm postiong this here in the Members Only section because I can see where it could have the potential to become a political discussion.

The Marine and Puppy thread has got me thinking. Everyone I know is upset about this incident, some more so than others. But it seems like a lot of folks are downright outraged. For the purposes of discussion, letís all try to figure this out. I have some questions based on some of the comments Iíve read and heard.

What is a fitting punishment for this Marine? I have heard suggestions ranging from the death penalty to a slap on the wrist. Now, we want to make the punishment fit the crime, So I guess we first have to define the severity of the crime.

Killing an average person. Bad. Capital punishment may be warranted.

Killing a police officer: Really bad. Someone who would do that is a greater risk to the average person. Capital punishment probably warranted.

Killing an animal: Maybe bad, maybe good. Depends on the situation. Someone who would do it just for kicks could be a greater risk to an average personÖbut they HAVE NOT KILLED a person. Punishment - yes. Capital punishment? I donít think so.

So where do we draw the line at when we are talking about the sanctity of life? People? Certainly. We all have a strong interest in staying alive. Donít kill people. I think everyone can agree on that one.

Animals? WellÖif thereís a purpose to the death of an animalÖlike food or clothing, I think most people can agree that would be ok. Except PETA. But thatís a different discussion all together.

Insects? Theyíre pests. Kill em all. Especially mosquitoes I think most folks will agree on that one.

Bacteria and viruses? Eradicate the ones that make us sick. If someone came up with a drug that killed the HIV virus, I donít think ANYONE would be upset at its destruction.

But EVERYTHING that I just listed above is alive. If itís ok to kill one living thing, why is it not ok to kill another? My point is where do we draw the line? Do we join an activist group to save the mosquitoes? I canít think of one person that would.

But saving the puppiesÖ.now thereís a cause! What is the difference? Both mosquitoes and puppies are alive. Both have a purpose in nature. But puppies are cute. That must be the reason.

Iím just confused. All I know is killing peopleÖusually a bad thing. Unless itís in time of war...and the people in question are your enemy...and they are actual combatants...and havenít surrendered...and a whole other list of factors that I donít want to think about. I guess thatís why I was on a ship during the first Gulf War. I just pushed the boat through the water. I let someone else worry about who we killed and under what circumstances it was ok.

So, is throwing a puppy off a cliff bad? Absolutely. It is cruel and unthinkable to anyone with a rational mind. Worthy of Capital Punishment? Not in a hundred years. If being an A$$hole from time to time was a capital crime, there wouldnít be many of us left.

These are my own opinions. This and $4.50 will get you a Starbucks foo foo coffee. Screw it...I'm going riding.

Dave
'06 K1200LT
'93 K1100LT (Hers)
AMA #956231
BMWMOA #130553
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old Mar 10th, 2008, 10:07 am

Re: Where do we draw the line?

Well said, Dave.... thanks for "pushing the boat".....

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in