No guns? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old Mar 7th, 2008, 9:15 pm Thread Starter

No guns?

I have seen the cops over react and use excessive force many times. This is surely not the case this time. If I were one of the cops in this video I would have emptied my magazine and then reloaded. Please no bashing this time, Unless your bashing the cops without guns???http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjoV9bitRik

Brian Ley
WA State of mindless sheep
USA where everything is illegal
2007 K1200GT
2010 650GS
2000 k1200LT Sold but not forgotten
BMWOA 119892
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old Mar 8th, 2008, 12:03 am

Re: No guns?

Yeah... let's do that... let's get rid of all our guns.. sure..

Especially when the guy started ramming the cops.. grrrrrr..

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 17 Old Mar 8th, 2008, 12:40 am
IBR# 366

Garage

I hate to say it, but I saw that coming when the bike cop pulled up behind him. Still it's inexcusable. What they needed was one of those little pointed hammers to get through the windows.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...

post #4 of 17 Old Mar 8th, 2008, 5:36 am

Thumbs up Re: No guns?

As soon as he hit the motor officer he would have been full of holes. No hesitation.

Bob Brendel
05 LT, Light Metallic Yellow
99 LT, Totaled 3/09
97 HD Former Work Bike
88 GL1500
84 GL1200
S3 400 Kaw, too long ago to remember the year
175 Yamaha even longer

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night

Only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf

George Orwell
post #5 of 17 Old Mar 8th, 2008, 7:25 am

This has to be an obvious question, but is this in a jurisdiction/country where the police are not armed? Holy crap -- give the guys some guns.

Maybe I've just seen too many movies, but why not stand back (away frome the bad guy's car) and take out some tires... windows... bad guys? The video doesn't show how they got the car door open; I would like to have seen that.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #6 of 17 Old Mar 8th, 2008, 9:35 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by rab1967
As soon as he hit the motor officer he would have been full of holes. No hesitation.
I totally agree, NO HESITATION..........

The average citizen believes that most cops overreach because they are unaware of the law. This dirt bag just tried to kill someone. Although some would say he was only trying to get away, he was putting everyone’s life at risk. It would have been a simple decision for me, two the body and one to the head. I know it sounds brutal but these officers need to go home to their families. I would lack tolerance for this type of behavior.

Kevin - "06" Lt (Magnesium Black Graphite)

"A person often meets his destiny on the road he took to avoid it."

post #7 of 17 Old Mar 8th, 2008, 3:17 pm

Looks like it may have been in England. A lot of them don't have guns, but a lot more do now a days.

Bob Brendel
99 LT, Totaled 3/09
97 HD Former Work Bike
88 GL1500
84 GL1200
175 Yamaha even longer

George Orwell
post #8 of 17 Old Mar 8th, 2008, 4:46 pm

"To kinda protect and to serve".

"BONES" <///><

2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."
post #9 of 17 Old Mar 8th, 2008, 5:24 pm

Garage

What I want to know is what kind of glass do they install on that guys windows. The one office had to hit the window 5-6 times with his nightstick and not even a crack?

Me, I pick up a tiny peeble on the highway and it cracks the entire windshield. I'm on my fourth windshield on my Jeep Liberty in four years.

I would have applauded the officers for shooting the SOB.

Rob V.B.
2015 Triumph Explorer 1200
2007 BMW GT (SOLD)

2003 BMW LT (SOLD)

2002 BMW R1150 traded for 2002 Yamaha FZ1 traded for a 2003 GSXR 750

post #10 of 17 Old Mar 8th, 2008, 6:18 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVB1019
What I want to know is what kind of glass do they install on that guys windows. The one office had to hit the window 5-6 times with his nightstick and not even a crack?
Rubber nightsticks...the kinder, gentler police.
post #11 of 17 Old Mar 9th, 2008, 8:17 am

The safety glass on a vehicle it hard to break. I've had to take out windows in the past to either yank a drunk out or access an injured passenger. The batons have a very hard time, as you can see. You have to make a point of hitting with the tip of the baton to break the glass. Yet if you use a spring loaded center punch or a stone with a sharpe/pointed edge you barely have to touch it.

Bob Brendel
99 LT, Totaled 3/09
97 HD Former Work Bike
88 GL1500
84 GL1200
175 Yamaha even longer

George Orwell
post #12 of 17 Old Mar 9th, 2008, 12:06 pm

The police handled the situation very well.

If in fact the guy was crazy or drunk, he should not have been shot. Why do we want to shoot anyone who is nonconforming.

The guy is in custody and hopefully getting the treatment needed. That treatment should include some jail time and making restitution for the property damage.

He should not have been shot.

Karl
post #13 of 17 Old Mar 9th, 2008, 12:37 pm

When he backed up and rammed the motor officer he endangered the officer's life and could have killed or seriously injured him. They have a right to protect them selves and use force greater then what is being used against them to enforce the law. The driver made his choice when he ran from them and then when he started ramming other vehicles.

Bob Brendel
99 LT, Totaled 3/09
97 HD Former Work Bike
88 GL1500
84 GL1200
175 Yamaha even longer

George Orwell
post #14 of 17 Old Mar 9th, 2008, 12:46 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by nocanpickem
The police handled the situation very well.

If in fact the guy was crazy or drunk, he should not have been shot. Why do we want to shoot anyone who is nonconforming.

The guy is in custody and hopefully getting the treatment needed. That treatment should include some jail time and making restitution for the property damage.

He should not have been shot.

Karl
“Why do we want to shoot anyone who is nonconforming.”

This was a little more than nonconforming; he was committing a felony and trying to kill a cop in the process. Don’t you think the other cops NOT under the wheels of this nonconforming person had the responsibility to protect their partner? Maybe after we give him a hug, put him in jail, give him free medical care, a free education and spend our resources trying to rehabilitate and reintegrate him back into society he will be thankful. Reentry statistics state in all likelihood it won’t work. If it doesn't work and he tries to kill another person in the commission of a crime, we can always tell their family we tried, right.... Sorry but I disagree; the cops should have stopped the threat as soon as it was evident.

Kevin - "06" Lt (Magnesium Black Graphite)

"A person often meets his destiny on the road he took to avoid it."

post #15 of 17 Old Mar 9th, 2008, 3:53 pm

The incident happened in the UK and only a small percentage of officers here are allowed to carry gnus and have very strict guidlines on when they can be taken out of the onboard gun locker and used. The bike officer was fortunate that he was not injured or killed as an other officer was a few years ago.

I an sure the miscreant may have fallen down the stairs on the way to the cells.

Regards

Graham Wintersgill
On the bonnnie bonnie banks of Loch Lomond

2001 K1200LT

1995 K75RT now deceased
post #16 of 17 Old Mar 9th, 2008, 5:00 pm

I know plenty of LEOs here in the UK. To a man (and woman) - they don't want guns and would leave the service if they tried bringing it in as standard.

"Whenever you find you are on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect" Mark Twain

post #17 of 17 Old Mar 9th, 2008, 5:10 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by c00k1e
I know plenty of LEOs here in the UK. To a man (and woman) - they don't want guns and would leave the service if they tried bringing it in as standard.
That works great as long as the criminals don't have guns, either. Would never fly in the colonies.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...

Last edited by meese; Mar 9th, 2008 at 5:17 pm.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in