Open Source Software for Windows - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old Mar 2nd, 2008, 5:44 pm Thread Starter
Cat Herder

Open Source Software for Windows

This time its something for our poorer brothers having to deal with WIndoze systems. But even for those there are a number of good open source software packages.

http://www.opensourcewindows.org/

Try 'em I'm pretty sure you're gonna like 'em. ESPECIALLY for the money!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old Mar 2nd, 2008, 7:11 pm

Re: Open Source Software for Windows

Nice site but they are missing a lot of other software out there that is free too.
post #3 of 21 Old Mar 2nd, 2008, 7:49 pm Thread Starter
Cat Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morley
Nice site but they are missing a lot of other software out there that is free too.
I don't think they claimed they cover 100%. That said what is IMPORTANT here is that they only cover Open Source Software.

post #4 of 21 Old Mar 2nd, 2008, 7:57 pm

"our poorer brothers"? So bmwlt.com is running on a Mac these days? Cool! When did y'all switch? And when did you hit the Lottery?!
post #5 of 21 Old Mar 2nd, 2008, 9:07 pm

More FOSS goodness to share:

http://theopendisc.com/programs/
(most, but not all, is duplicated from what Andy posted)

There's a LOT more out there. Just takes a bit of looking cuz most of these outfits - being free - don't have 'marketing' departments to advertise their products.

Tate

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

02 Mauve - my 'Light Truck'
Wyoming Immigration Officer, Cyberhiway tour guide and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 21 Old Mar 2nd, 2008, 10:11 pm

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zotter
More FOSS goodness to share:

http://theopendisc.com/programs/
(most, but not all, is duplicated from what Andy posted)
Don't forget this one too: http://sourceforge.net/

Most programs have WIN32 versions...

Gino
Modesto, CA
'02 Silver
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For they passed a noble law,
And the trees are all kept equal
By hatchet, axe, and saw. --Rush
post #7 of 21 Old Mar 3rd, 2008, 6:06 am

Windows bashing is very OLD and tiresome. There are many of us who have NO problems with Windows and just cannot see the need to spend considerably more money on an equal system.

My system stays on, hooked to the Internet constantly, one virus problem in many years. The applications work just fine, and although I did have some Windows issues with Win 95 (who didn't?) 98 seemed quite stable and now XP is the best yet. I am staying away from Vista as long as possible though.

I would probably like a MAC, but as of now, there is absolutely NO reason for me to change. As I have said several times in the past, the reason I use Windows is that all my employers have used Windows, and none of the CAD software I have used is supported on MAC.

Now, tell me again just WHY I should change. So I can be in a tiny little smug community looking over my nose at the teeming masses?

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #8 of 21 Old Mar 3rd, 2008, 6:52 am

Open source for Windows...Thanks Andy

Dave Hoogerland

'08 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
'02 K1200LTC "The Silver Snoopy" (gone but not forgotten)
'08 Can-Am Spyder "???"

post #9 of 21 Old Mar 3rd, 2008, 8:33 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshealey
Windows bashing is very OLD and tiresome. There are many of us who have NO problems with Windows and just cannot see the need to spend considerably more money on an equal system.

My system stays on, hooked to the Internet constantly, one virus problem in many years. The applications work just fine, and although I did have some Windows issues with Win 95 (who didn't?) 98 seemed quite stable and now XP is the best yet. I am staying away from Vista as long as possible though.
I've been running a home wireless network using a mixture of Win2k and WinXP for years now - with no problems at all. Then my wife got a new laptop with Vista and my problems have started. Good idea to stay away from it.

The really annoying thing about Vista is that one day the network works fine, and the next she can't do a thing - for no apparent reason. Even Micro$oft refuse to acknowledge there's a problems so they don't do anything about it. Presumably 100% Vista networks work fine??? Anyway, I'm seriously thinking of downgrading her system to XP/Pro, as at least I know it works!

Objects in mirror may be disappearing faster than they seem...
post #10 of 21 Old Mar 3rd, 2008, 8:57 am

Quote:
Now, tell me again just WHY I should change. So I can be in a tiny little smug community looking over my nose at the teeming masses?
David,

How often has this been said about BMW riders? Oh the irony of it all

A loyal windoz man

Jeff in Myrtle Beach
'01 LTC
'99 Icon champagne
'02 KLR 650
TZ 185 2 stroke
Honda R100R beater

post #11 of 21 Old Mar 3rd, 2008, 9:42 am Thread Starter
Cat Herder

Quote:
Got out of the bed on the wrong side? LOL. Nobody in this thread asked you to change. If you don't like pointers where to get good software for free, don't go there, don't download.
post #12 of 21 Old Mar 3rd, 2008, 10:27 am
Just ridin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
"our poorer brothers"? So bmwlt.com is running on a Mac these days? Cool! When did y'all switch? And when did you hit the Lottery?!
A response to your tongue in cheek response.
  • bmwlt.com runs on Linux
  • All of my computers run on Windows

Randy Prade
Aurora, CO

Just ride it!
Meet Riley

post #13 of 21 Old Mar 3rd, 2008, 10:49 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianbeemer
The really annoying thing about Vista is that one day the network works fine, and the next she can't do a thing - for no apparent reason. Even Micro$oft refuse to acknowledge there's a problems so they don't do anything about it. Presumably 100% Vista networks work fine??? Anyway, I'm seriously thinking of downgrading her system to XP/Pro, as at least I know it works!
At this point I wouldn't consider it a "downgrade". For all the problems XP Home supposedly had with networking, I hear it is nothing compared to vista. They are comparing vista with windows ME, remember that short lived, bug riddled POS?
post #14 of 21 Old Mar 3rd, 2008, 10:51 am

Back to the free software thing... Eudora was about the best and most secure mail client I'd tried. Someone bought the company though, but you can still get the free version.
post #15 of 21 Old Mar 4th, 2008, 9:07 pm

Gets kinda old reading about how Vista sucks.. It will be around for a while so get used to it. I have been running it for about 6 months ...Vista 64 and have had no problems. Windows starts very fast around 30 seconds so far no I have had no network problems. I am running 4 gigs of ddr3 memory and a fast chip but I am enjoying Vista.
Eudora...wasnt that for windows 3.11??

Nelson
99 K1200LT
post #16 of 21 Old Mar 5th, 2008, 1:07 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelson61
Eudora...wasnt that for windows 3.11??
That's where it started The later versions were/are pretty slick.
post #17 of 21 Old Mar 22nd, 2008, 6:54 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy
Got out of the bed on the wrong side? LOL. Nobody in this thread asked you to change. If you don't like pointers where to get good software for free, don't go there, don't download.
It would have been just fine Andy, if you had not started out your post with:

"This time its something for our poorer brothers having to deal with WIndoze systems."

No matter what good information you may have posted after the statement it had the stamp of Windows Bashing applied. Yes, I deal with Windows, but I don't HAVE to, and I may or may not be poorer than you, what does that matter?

If you want to be helpful in this arena, as you certainly are in others (and it is very appreciated), please do not show your true feeling before making a statement that may be appreciated by us "poor" people otherwise.

The WAY in which you gave out the information was very unnecessary.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #18 of 21 Old Mar 22nd, 2008, 7:57 pm

Hey, Andy, I finally found out how to install Vista!

'99K1200LT - "Bertha" - gone, but not forgotten!
'86 Concours - "Horse with no name" (under reconstructive surgery)
'06 K1200GT - "Road Rocket"
Marshall, Tx

post #19 of 21 Old Mar 22nd, 2008, 8:38 pm

It's interesting you took it that way David. There are folks that would love to have excellent software packages and CANNOT afford to buy them, one of them being me. I use the Mozilla Firefox browser and the Mozilla Thunderbird mail client, both of which are superior to the Windows equivalent, in my very so humble opinion. I haven't fully figured out how to use either one to their fullest yet but I'm trying.

I use as much Open Source software as I can. The main reason being there are many folks working to make each piece of the software better and according to the GPU (or is it GNU) there can never be a cost attached to it if you make an improvement. How can things get much better than that.

And with as with most Open Source software, it will run on Windows, Linux, Unix or Mac. That makes it a non-system preference piece of software and fully compatible files for transport among the different Operating Systems.

I'm glad you some of you folks have the money to buy all the proprietary software you want.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #20 of 21 Old Mar 23rd, 2008, 1:33 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianbeemer
I've been running a home wireless network using a mixture of Win2k and WinXP for years now - with no problems at all. Then my wife got a new laptop with Vista and my problems have started. Good idea to stay away from it.

Try this, it is a Vista tweak that really sped up all 12 of my Vista systems:

THE QUICK FIX

First open and Administrator command line prompt. Click Start > All Programs > Accessories, right click Command Prompt, then left click Run as administrator. As an alternative you can click Start then type into the Start Search box, or the Run box, cmd, then use the shortcut keys Ctrl-Shift-Enter.

(NOTE: After you set a new autotuninglevel you will need to reboot in order for the changes to take effect.)

Vista TCP/IP Fix

Type, or copy and paste, into the Administrator command prompt window:

netsh interface tcp set global autotuninglevel=disable

Network connectivity may fail when you try to use Windows Vista behind a firewall device
View products that this article applies to.
KB Article ID : 934430
Last Review : September 26, 2007
Revision : 4.0
SYMPTOMS
When you try to use a Windows Vista-based computer behind a firewall device, network connectivity may fail. When network connectivity fails, you may see the following symptoms: Programs may respond slowly.
Programs may stop responding.
For example, any of the following programs may be affected by this problem: Microsoft Outlook or Windows Mail
A Web browser, such as Windows Internet Explorer 7
Remote Desktop Connection (RDC)
File sharing

Mark Conlogue
MCSE, MCT
CEH (Certified Ethical Hacker)
CBCP

I take Life with a grain of salt......and a slice of lime and a shot of Tequila

20 grand & 2K miles don't make you a biker

I COULD TELL THEY WERE BIKERS,
IT SAID "LIVE TO RIDE" ON THEIR TRAILER
post #21 of 21 Old Mar 23rd, 2008, 10:51 pm

OpenOffice.org

Looking for a nice Open Source "office" suite for Windows? Try www.OpenOffice.org. Has everything to replace MS-Office except an Outlook-esq app. IIRC, it reads and creates the new as well as legacy MS-Office file formats.

Sun has a hand in this project, and it has been stable AFAIK.

And it is FREE!!!

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

-----------------------------------------------

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in