The Pack Ice is Breaking Up, or: For All You Southern Boys - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 Old Mar 1st, 2008, 4:47 pm Thread Starter

The Pack Ice is Breaking Up, or: For All You Southern Boys

On behalf of us northerners who have to endure all the threads about how nice it is down south, and how much fun you boys had riding to work, school, church, or rehab today, here are a few photos of how I spent part of my afternoon today.

I don't get near the snow that northern Ohio does (or many northern states), but it is what it is, and it's enough to keep me off the bike for awhile.

Pic 1 shows the (mostly) ice and snow left on the concrete by the garage. Pic 2 shows that bad stuff shoveled out into the gravel. Pic 3 I call "Hopeful" -- the LT is in the garage and is hopeful to get exercised soon. Pic 4 shows that, even if all the ice is off the concrete, it's going to take a couple of days of really warm weather to melt the ice and snow on the uphill gravel drive before I can ride out of here. It's supposed to warm up nicely for the next 2-3 days. Come on, Spring!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM5488_small.JPG
Views:	76
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	16888   Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM5493_small.JPG
Views:	68
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	16889   Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM5495_small.JPG
Views:	66
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	16890   Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM5487_small.JPG
Views:	69
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	16891  

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[/URL]
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old Mar 1st, 2008, 4:58 pm

Thumbs up Re: The Pack Ice is Breaking Up, or: For All You Southern Boys

I got more snow than that TODAY, between 9-10am! BUT ... warmer weather is acomin', and it'll all go away. Monday, it's supposed to be up in the mid-50s! The next thing I know, I'll be headed south, or west, cruise-control set, tunes filling the helmet as I grin from ear-to-ear. And a strange little part of me will be grateful that I was kept off the bike for a few months so I can appreciate it more than those snobby southerners and west-coasters do.
post #3 of 32 Old Mar 1st, 2008, 5:05 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Re: The Pack Ice is Breaking Up, or: For All You Southern Boys

I think we still have some snow up in the mountains north of here. But it's hard to tell, as it usually stays a bit overcast here by the coast. Riding through L.A. yesterday, I actually had to switch my jacket to mesh. It almost makes up for the horrendous traffic down that way.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...

post #4 of 32 Old Mar 1st, 2008, 6:18 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
I think we still have some snow up in the mountains north of here. But it's hard to tell, as it usually stays a bit overcast here by the coast. Riding through L.A. yesterday, I actually had to switch my jacket to mesh. It almost makes up for the horrendous traffic down that way.
Ken:

I have so many cloths on that I have forgotten what it feels like to wear mesh. Can't wait -- spring is just around the corner . . . . I think.

Chick

Saved by Grace -- Ephesians 2:8-9

2005 Graphite LT

BMWMOA #118809

NRA Life Member

post #5 of 32 Old Mar 1st, 2008, 7:17 pm Thread Starter

"Mesh"? What's that?

Oh yeah, I got one of those mesh jacket things; it's around here somewhere. It's been October since I've had it on. Hope I can find it before I need it in a couple of months.

Joe: Good point on your snowfall v. ours. We had several inches of total coverage until 2 days ago; some rain and sunshine took care of a lot of it.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]
post #6 of 32 Old Mar 1st, 2008, 7:22 pm

We need a good pooring rain here in southern NE to get this salt/sand off of the streets. Main roads are fair but anything off of the beatin path just sucks...

Mark
'07 RT
post #7 of 32 Old Mar 1st, 2008, 8:09 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chick
I have so many cloths on that I have forgotten what it feels like to wear mesh.
Now to be fair, it did drop down to 50 on the ride home that night. I actually had to zip up and put my heated liner on. Brr.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #8 of 32 Old Mar 1st, 2008, 8:42 pm

50 ?!?!?!? DROPPED DOWN TO 50 !!!!! We haven't seen a temp. that warm in forever. The poor old LT just looks at me longingly whenever I walk by her. Sure hope I remember how to ride when all this snow and cold is gone.

Chick

2005 Graphite LT

BMWMOA #118809

NRA Life Member

post #9 of 32 Old Mar 1st, 2008, 8:49 pm

Dude.. what is that stuff! That's ugly...don't y'all have snow plows for your bikes?

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #10 of 32 Old Mar 2nd, 2008, 6:37 am

Ok, no more pics of the sunny south (and the Carribean mon) for you!

Brett
2003 K1200LTC SOLD
2013 K1600GTL SOLD
2018 K1600GA SOLD
2019 K1600GA Blue

North Georgia

2005 CCR-Tetons
2006 CCR-Braselton
2008 CCR-Midway
2009 CCR-Rapid City
2011 CCR-Boise
2012 CCR-Duluth
2014 CCR-Chattanooga
2015 CCR-Coeur d 'Alene

post #11 of 32 Old Mar 2nd, 2008, 6:50 am

Snow

More snow here this weekend. News stations reporting a couple of more building collapses due to snow weight on roofs.
I have more snow removal to do today.
Bikes are chilling out on the battery tenders.
Pics of our snow piles from raking the roofs and clearing the drive and yard. Piles are so high my front end loader can't reach the top of the piles anymore and snowbanks around the house are up to the windows.
Gonna be a good mud season this year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hschisler
On behalf of us northerners who have to endure all the threads about how nice it is down south, and how much fun you boys had riding to work, school, church, or rehab today, here are a few photos of how I spent part of my afternoon today.

I don't get near the snow that northern Ohio does (or many northern states), but it is what it is, and it's enough to keep me off the bike for awhile.

Pic 1 shows the (mostly) ice and snow left on the concrete by the garage. Pic 2 shows that bad stuff shoveled out into the gravel. Pic 3 I call "Hopeful" -- the LT is in the garage and is hopeful to get exercised soon. Pic 4 shows that, even if all the ice is off the concrete, it's going to take a couple of days of really warm weather to melt the ice and snow on the uphill gravel drive before I can ride out of here. It's supposed to warm up nicely for the next 2-3 days. Come on, Spring!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_7596.JPG
Views:	32
Size:	21.0 KB
ID:	16898   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7597.JPG
Views:	31
Size:	18.8 KB
ID:	16899   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7598.JPG
Views:	28
Size:	21.9 KB
ID:	16900  
post #12 of 32 Old Mar 2nd, 2008, 7:21 am
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chick
50 ?!?!?!? DROPPED DOWN TO 50 !!!!! We haven't seen a temp. that warm in forever.
Now you've gone and made me feel bad. So I took a little ride to find some snow. I had to crest 5,100 feet to do it and the snow was sparse and dingy, hiding in the ditches and gutters like some shadowy beggar. But it did drop down to 32 degrees.

You can see more details of my ride here.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #13 of 32 Old Mar 2nd, 2008, 7:29 am

It's pretty brutal here. The Mountain Laurels are starting to bloom. For those of y'all that don't know, a Mountain Laurel is a shrub that gets to about 15 foot tall (at least at my house) and gets covered with a purple flower. We're surrounded by thousands of them and the odor of the flowers are quite intoxicating. I noticed the start of the bloom last night when I stepped out and caught a whiff.

Now, I need to find a mesquite tree. If them babies are starting to leaf, we're safe from another freeze.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #14 of 32 Old Mar 2nd, 2008, 7:34 am

Hey Meese, you want some snow .... I'll send you some. Havn't seen the ground in over a month.

Howard it looks like spring at your place all ready, would love to see that much grass. That is what that is right, man it's been so long I hardly remember

Oh well the snow will all melt soon .... then we get flood and mud season

Believe me that first trip across the grass on the LT from the shed is alittle spooky. But hey the mud washes off... right

Only 18 more days to spring.

Pat Rourke
White Lake,MI.
2002 K1200 LTC, Champange

post #15 of 32 Old Mar 2nd, 2008, 9:46 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkpr1998
Ok, no more pics of the sunny south (and the Carribean mon) for you!
Brett, FWIW it was your thread about your Carribean vacation that drove me to create this thread! Sun, surf, and sand -- bah!!

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]
post #16 of 32 Old Mar 2nd, 2008, 9:47 am Thread Starter

Re: Snow

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieVT
More snow here this weekend. News stations reporting a couple of more building collapses due to snow weight on roofs.
I have more snow removal to do today.
Bikes are chilling out on the battery tenders.
Pics of our snow piles from raking the roofs and clearing the drive and yard. Piles are so high my front end loader can't reach the top of the piles anymore and snowbanks around the house are up to the windows.
Gonna be a good mud season this year!
Alrighty, then! After seeing your pics we have nothing to complain about. Well, almost nothing...

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]
post #17 of 32 Old Mar 2nd, 2008, 10:49 am

You must have had a mild winter. Here in Madison Wisconsin the snow is about a foot higher than my mailbox. My driveway is glare ice as are all the side streets.

There are signs of spring though. The snow is melting from my roof.

Karl
post #18 of 32 Old Mar 2nd, 2008, 11:02 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
And a strange little part of me will be grateful that I was kept off the bike for a few months so I can appreciate it more than those snobby southerners and west-coasters do.
I know ... it SUX to be us. Why just the other day I was riding to Santa Clara, into a beautiful orange sunset to meet friends for dinner, thinking to myself, DAMN, I wish this bike was snowbound so I could appreciate it more. I wish I'd never left Canton!

Don't rub it in, Joe.
post #19 of 32 Old Mar 2nd, 2008, 1:18 pm
Gold Supporter

High of 50 today, kind of a false alarm on sring tho.
Forcast for later this week is 15 below normal plus --- more snow.
Another item, water from snowmelt fills all the chuckholes so ya can't
see how deep they are.

I got a small boxfull of farkles to apply, maybe that will keep me for a while....

Still -
Just a dog without a bone ~...............

CCR '09 Great trip!, 2010 Miles of smiles, 2011 Can this possibly get better? 2012 a Superior trip!

2004 K1200LT - ZZ Trailer
1983 R100
BMWMOA #158807 Michiana BMW Club #122
post #20 of 32 Old Mar 2nd, 2008, 1:44 pm

Ok all you Southern and Western guys, we people in Michigan can't get out to ride but... By GOD we know how to fish!!!! Try that in Cal. or Florida
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image00111[1].jpg
Views:	26
Size:	35.8 KB
ID:	16906   Click image for larger version

Name:	image00222[1].jpg
Views:	29
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	16907   Click image for larger version

Name:	image00333[1].jpg
Views:	23
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	16908   Click image for larger version

Name:	image00444[1].jpg
Views:	25
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	16909   Click image for larger version

Name:	image00555[1].jpg
Views:	22
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	16910  

Name:	image00666[1].jpg
Views:	18
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	16911   Click image for larger version

Name:	image00777[1].jpg
Views:	21
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	16912   Click image for larger version

Name:	image00888[1].jpg
Views:	27
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	16913   Click image for larger version

Name:	image00999[1].jpg
Views:	27
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	16914   Click image for larger version

Name:	image0101010[1].jpg
Views:	25
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	16915  

Pat Rourke
White Lake,MI.

post #21 of 32 Old Mar 2nd, 2008, 1:57 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalLT
DAMN, I wish this bike was snowbound so I could appreciate it more.
My biggest problem is finding time to work on the bike. I got a box full of farkles to install, yet somehow I'd just rather be out riding. I think we need about a week of winter so I can get all my projects done.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #22 of 32 Old Mar 2nd, 2008, 2:00 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by patroa1
Ok all you Southern and Western guys, we people in Michigan can't get out to ride but... By GOD we know how to fish!!!! Try that in Cal. or Florida
Damn, what time is the masseuse scheduled to start her shift? I wonder if I could tow one of those things behind the bike. Sure would save on motel costs.

And uh, you know they sell fish right in the stores, right? Got a whole counter of 'em. And if you're lucky enough to live near a coast, you can get it fresh off the docks and still have time for a great ride.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #23 of 32 Old Mar 2nd, 2008, 2:42 pm

Quote:
My biggest problem is finding time to work on the bike. I got a box full of farkles to install, yet somehow I'd just rather be out riding. I think we need about a week of winter so I can get all my projects done.
Ya know, with all this "global warming", er, I mean "global cooling", ah . . . whatever. Anyway, you may end up with snow in Kalifornia in, say one or two billion years. Then you will have time to farklize the LT.

Chick

2005 Graphite LT

BMWMOA #118809

NRA Life Member

post #24 of 32 Old Mar 2nd, 2008, 2:45 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:

Come on, Spring!
With the 50 degree temps and the "thunder storm" that just passed through, I earlier lifted the cocoon (CycleShell), installed the battery and started her up for a while. But, she had to go back into hibernation for yet another undetermined amount of time. PMS? Yeah!

Have fun,
Jer

Jerry Palma
99 K1200LTI Champagne 'Oh, Kay' (dropped: 5)
97 K1100LT Aspen Silver Night High Line 'Silver Knight'
85 R80RT 'Lady in Red'
08 535xi Space Gray metallic
09 328i Silver Convertable
17 X3 Glacier Silver metallic

BMWMOA #157323 / ABC #11368 -- All-in-all a newbie!

I love these bikes regardless of what I've needed to fix on them. I'll: Just Ride 'em!
post #25 of 32 Old Mar 2nd, 2008, 2:49 pm

Buy fish, naw not fresh enough, besides we got our limit, now we are enjoying an adult beverage, eating venison steaks and the masseuse is due at 4:00pm.

Damn us northern boys got it rough.

Pat Rourke
White Lake,MI.

post #26 of 32 Old Mar 2nd, 2008, 5:26 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by patroa1
Good lord, what DON'T you have in that fishing shack? and I see a satellite receiver outside...?

An update from today:

It was 60 here today. I finished getting ice off the concrete and shoveled a wheel track up the driveway so I could take a little ride. Big mistake. Got to the top of the driveway and the wheel slipped outside of the track and onto the ice and slush. I almost dumped it... don't know how I kept it from falling but I hurt both hips doing it. Took a short ride into town and back with my Goldwing-riding buddy. Riding down the driveway when I got home was nearly as bad but I took it easy. It's supposed to rain tonight and tomorrow; we'll see what that does for the driveway.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]
post #27 of 32 Old Mar 2nd, 2008, 6:16 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

I dunno Howard, maybe next time you should let Caity take the LT out for you instead.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #28 of 32 Old Mar 2nd, 2008, 6:27 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
I dunno Howard, maybe next time you should let Caity take the LT out for you instead.
pfffftttttttt! Caity is so skinny she would have snapped like a twig as it went down. Besides, we've all been told (and warned) not to attempt to catch the LT when it's on the way over.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]
post #29 of 32 Old Mar 2nd, 2008, 6:35 pm

Quote:
pfffftttttttt! Caity is so skinny she would have snapped like a twig as it went down. Besides, we've all been told (and warned) not to attempt to catch the LT when it's on the way over.

I too Got riding relief today!!!!!!!!!

No ice(at least avoidable) & pretty dry roads.....no wet salt solutions!!!

Mike
post #30 of 32 Old Mar 2nd, 2008, 9:18 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
pfffftttttttt! Caity is so skinny she would have snapped like a twig as it went down.
I don't know, she didn't seem to have any trouble taking care of Richard. But then again he's not nearly as heavy as an LT, and not quite as stubborn.

And remember, a Sprint or an 800ST is still only about 450 lbs.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #31 of 32 Old Mar 3rd, 2008, 5:55 am

Quote:
Brett, FWIW it was your thread about your Carribean vacation that drove me to create this thread! Sun, surf, and sand -- bah!!

And a good thread indeed!

And by looking at all of the snow in Vermont, it will be Summer before they can get out of the front door!

Brett
2003 K1200LTC SOLD
2013 K1600GTL SOLD
2018 K1600GA SOLD
2019 K1600GA Blue

North Georgia

2005 CCR-Tetons
2006 CCR-Braselton
2008 CCR-Midway
2009 CCR-Rapid City
2011 CCR-Boise
2012 CCR-Duluth
2014 CCR-Chattanooga
2015 CCR-Coeur d 'Alene

post #32 of 32 Old Mar 3rd, 2008, 8:36 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
... And remember, a Sprint or an 800ST is still only about 450 lbs.
>

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in