Coming back from Scotland, a few thoughts - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old Feb 28th, 2008, 6:41 am Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Coming back from Scotland, a few thoughts

I've been in Glasgow on business all week and am heading back across the pond today. First time here and it's been a really good trip. A few thought/observations -

This wrong side of the road driving thing freaks me out!

Haggis is pretty good.

Haggis is even better after a couple of pints

There's a pub about every 1/2 - 1 block, you can't swing a dead cat without hitting one!

Some of them are rough. When the professional rugby player you're hanging with won't go inside, you should probably avoid it.

They look at you funny when you order a scotch. Less so when you order a whisky.

There is some really, really good whisky over here. I'll share some pics of one pub we were in later.

There is some really, really good beer over here.

Most pubs have 2 Guinness taps, one that's "room temperature", and one that's chilled and labeled "Extra Cold". I'll let Joe wrestle with that one.

"Room Temperature" Guinness in the UK is about 45 degrees, because it's friggin' cold over here.

The weather doesn't really talk about the wind until it breaks 60-70 mph. 40 mph sustained winds aren't newsworthy (but exist... a lot)

The best Indian food I've ever eaten was last night in Glasgow.

When you go into a whisky shop at 10 a.m. in the morning, the shopkeeper may offer you a tasting sample from their private cask. Well, it would be rude not to accept it. And apparently it gives him an excuse to have a wee sip as well.

Scots are really nice people, at least all the ones I met were. And there sense of humor is hilarious!

That's about it for now. Looking forward to getting back across the pond and being in some weather that's not rain and above 40 degrees.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old Feb 28th, 2008, 7:25 am

Re: Coming back from Scotland, a few thoughts

And you never said you were here! I could have taken you Haggis hunting ;-)

If any of you lot are in Scotland please let me know and hopefully we can meet up for a drink or meal and I can show you some of the sights.

Regards

Graham Wintersgill
On the bonnnie bonnie banks of Loch Lomond

2001 K1200LT

1995 K75RT now deceased
post #3 of 19 Old Feb 28th, 2008, 11:49 am

Thumbs up Re: Coming back from Scotland, a few thoughts

Sounds like a wonderful time David. Can't wait to chat on the phone about more of the untyped details!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidTaylor
Most pubs have 2 Guinness taps, one that's "room temperature", and one that's chilled and labeled "Extra Cold". I'll let Joe wrestle with that one.
No wrestling needed. One is served at the proper temp, and the other for morons that don't know any better.

post #4 of 19 Old Feb 28th, 2008, 12:26 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
Sounds like a wonderful time David. Can't wait to chat on the phone about more of the untyped details!

No wrestling needed. One is served at the proper temp, and the other for morons that don't know any better.
Had the "Extra Cold" at the Mother Lode tasting room in Dublin a few years ago. They were asking for feed back. I turned in the card with a big "X" across it. Nyet, Nein, NG, Non, NO in any language!

pm
--
Life is too short to do anything
other than that about which you
are absolutely passionate . . .
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2011 South Africa

2014 The Dolomites of Italy, Alps of Switzerland & Austria and returning to Milan via the "Gold Coast" of the French Riveria.

2016 Spain & Portugal

2018 Central & Eastern Europe: Slovenia, Austria, Poland,Hungary, Czech Republic & Slovakia!

'18 R1200RTW
'00 K1200LTC (Dealer is taking on consignment!)
'90 K75-Sold to a new BMW owner (2016)
'62 R 50/2 (Rode hard and put away wet)-Sold in '81
'63 Vespa 150 (1st and only dirt bike!)
Sold in '67

post #5 of 19 Old Feb 28th, 2008, 5:04 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMitchell
Had the "Extra Cold" at the Mother Lode tasting room in Dublin a few years ago. They were asking for feed back. I turned in the card with a big "X" across it. Nyet, Nein, NG, Non, NO in any language!
You're obviously not the target market for the Extra Cold brew. That's what they drink in those Redneck mansions from the other post. Or in Ohio.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #6 of 19 Old Feb 29th, 2008, 12:25 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by grahamw
If any of you lot are in Scotland please let me know and hopefully we can meet up for a drink or meal and I can show you some of the sights.
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Taylor
. . . That's about it for now. Looking forward to getting back across the pond . . .
And, next time you're over, we'll organise a 'loan bike' for you - dont worry, the Ducati is ' Right Hand Drive' (unless Joe totals it ).

• 2005 LT - 17 countries, 2 CONTINENTS & counting !
  • MB SLK 350 MT
  • 1974 Triumph Bonneville 750

post #7 of 19 Old Feb 29th, 2008, 12:46 pm Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
And you never said you were here! I could have taken you Haggis hunting ;-)

Regards
I was in on business and had a really full schedule, then had to fly back out. Got back home about 2 a.m. this morning. It's 11 a.m. now but I still feel like it should be around 7 p.m.; I'm all screwed up (no news there)!

I definitely want to come back, though. I really it there and want to spend some time exploring the countryside, history, sights, pubs, whisky tours, etc.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

post #8 of 19 Old Feb 29th, 2008, 1:07 pm

Quote:

Regards
Graham, I reckon we could loose a fortune by organising bike tours for our ex-colonial friends !!

• 2005 LT - 17 countries, 2 CONTINENTS & counting !
  • MB SLK 350 MT
  • 1974 Triumph Bonneville 750

post #9 of 19 Old Feb 29th, 2008, 4:03 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolly
Graham, I reckon we could loose a fortune by organising bike tours for our ex-colonial friends !!

But it would be great fun ;-))))))

Graham Wintersgill
On the bonnnie bonnie banks of Loch Lomond

2001 K1200LT

1995 K75RT now deceased
post #10 of 19 Old Feb 29th, 2008, 7:48 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
You're obviously not the target market for the Extra Cold brew. That's what they drink in those Redneck mansions from the other post. Or in Ohio.
Best Guinness I've had in NA was from an Irish Pub in Windsor Ontario. Unfortunately, it just doesn't travel well.

Spent the afternoon and evening there. Fortunately my hotel was around the corner!

pm
--
Life is too short to do anything
other than that about which you
are absolutely passionate . . .
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"

2011 South Africa

2014 The Dolomites of Italy, Alps of Switzerland & Austria and returning to Milan via the "Gold Coast" of the French Riveria.

2016 Spain & Portugal

2018 Central & Eastern Europe: Slovenia, Austria, Poland,Hungary, Czech Republic & Slovakia!

'18 R1200RTW
'00 K1200LTC (Dealer is taking on consignment!)
'90 K75-Sold to a new BMW owner (2016)
'62 R 50/2 (Rode hard and put away wet)-Sold in '81
'63 Vespa 150 (1st and only dirt bike!)
Sold in '67

post #11 of 19 Old Mar 1st, 2008, 12:49 am
IBR# 366

Garage

Actually, I'm not a huge Guinness fan, but my wife is. She swears the stuff they pour in Ireland is a cut above anything she's had anywhere else.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #12 of 19 Old Mar 1st, 2008, 12:49 am
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolly
So that's CCR 2011 sorted then.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #13 of 19 Old Mar 1st, 2008, 10:55 am

Im a Scot by heritage and want so badly to go there and visit for a few weeks. I hear nothing but excellent things about Scotland....BTW, my heritage is Clan Ross.

F

BMWMOA
12 GTL
post #14 of 19 Old Mar 1st, 2008, 11:19 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMitchell
Best Guinness I've had in NA was...
The best Guinness I've had is . . . the NEXT one!
post #15 of 19 Old Mar 1st, 2008, 11:22 am

Quote:
So that's CCR 2011 sorted then.
Wonder how much it would costs to charter a cargo plane for the bikes?!!

"Whenever you find you are on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect" Mark Twain

post #16 of 19 Old Mar 1st, 2008, 1:32 pm Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by c00k1e
Wonder how much it would costs to charter a cargo plane for the bikes?!!
Plenty, I'm sure, but that can be justified. It's the exchange rate that's kicking our a$$ right now. $2.37 for 1GBP, and over $1.50 for 1 Euro.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

post #17 of 19 Old Mar 3rd, 2008, 4:05 am

Quote:
Actually, I'm not a huge Guinness fan, but my wife is. She swears the stuff they pour in Ireland is a cut above anything she's had anywhere else.
That's because they have a direct feed from the Liffee instead of having to tanker it around.

David - whereabouts in Glasgow were you? Great city!

Objects in mirror may be disappearing faster than they seem...
post #18 of 19 Old Mar 3rd, 2008, 5:43 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13

I'm a moron and proud of it!

Brett
2003 K1200LTC SOLD
2013 K1600GTL SOLD
2018 K1600GA SOLD
2019 K1600GA Blue

North Georgia

2005 CCR-Tetons
2006 CCR-Braselton
2008 CCR-Midway
2009 CCR-Rapid City
2011 CCR-Boise
2012 CCR-Duluth
2014 CCR-Chattanooga
2015 CCR-Coeur d 'Alene

post #19 of 19 Old Mar 3rd, 2008, 8:22 pm Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianbeemer
That's because they have a direct feed from the Liffee instead of having to tanker it around.

David - whereabouts in Glasgow were you? Great city!
I was staying at the Glasgow Hilton near City Center, but working at a company on Ainslie in HIllington Park.

Here are a couple of shots from inside Ben Nevus pub. They had just a little bit of whisky on hand.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	whisky.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	111.4 KB
ID:	16929   Click image for larger version

Name:	whisky2.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	117.6 KB
ID:	16930  

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in