Bikers, Blues and Barbecue - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old Oct 2nd, 2005, 6:43 am Thread Starter

Bikers, Blues and Barbecue

We stumbled on a big bike rally by accident yesterday. Roxanne and I wanted to go for a ride, and I needed a couple oil filters, so we decided to ride over to Bentonville BMW, 80 or 90 miles away, and pick some up. At a breakfast stop we met a few bikers who were headed to Fayetteville for the annual "Bikers, Blues and Barbecue" Rally.

Thought it might be fun to check out, so after visiting the BMW dealership, we detoured through Fayetteville and down Dickson Street. And then back UP Dickson Street.

Wow. A constant parade, and we got to play in it. We heard estimates varying from 200 to 300 thousand people, but it looked to me like there must've been about that many bikes. Saw some things I'd never seen before, including my first Boss Hog (or some variation on that fat-tired, chromed-out, custom-painted, 350 V-8 theme. Looks like it takes a real man to ride the thing, in any case.)

Lots of bikes. Lots of overpriced, tasteless food (could teach the vendors a thing or two about barbecue, and the importance of doing it right - Tyson's Mystery Meat smothered in watered-down generic Heinz 57 is not barbecue). Lots of flat, foamy beer in plastic cups.

But mostly lots and lots of bikes, and lots of beautiful people. We had fun running the LT up and down the street in the company of so many pairs of straight pipes and V-twins, with my Spice Girls CD blaring wide open through the speakers on the LT. "I'll tell you what I want, what I really, really want..." People should learn it's not polite to stare.

The promoters missed a bet. They should have called it the "Bikes, Babes, Booze, Blues, Barbecue, Babes, Boobies, and Beer" Rally.

"Hey, you said 'Babes' twice." Well, I like babes.

Didn't notice anyone selling Big Buttered Biscuits, but that certainly would have added alliterative -- if not nutritional or social -- value to the event. Maybe next year. I'll see if the promoters want to talk to me about it.

We didn't stay for the Blues Saturday night, too far from home and no room at the inn. But it was still big fun, and I did come home with oil filters, so overall, I'd call that a good day.

The Bad Ted (Anyone seen The Good Ted lately?)
http://www.phfft.com
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bbb3.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	57   Click image for larger version

Name:	bbb4.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	58  

Last edited by fenixroyale; Oct 2nd, 2005 at 8:25 am.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old Oct 2nd, 2005, 8:29 am

I was going to head over - I have a HD friend who has tried to get me to go for the last 2 years - but we had some thunderstorms all morning and early afternoon. Rain I don't mind, lightening I avoid...

Glad you had a good time Ted...

PS - No sign of the good Ted over here...
post #3 of 4 Old Oct 2nd, 2005, 9:48 pm

Bikes Blues & BBQ

Ted
Back in 2001 while surfing the internet I came across an ad for the first Bikes, Blues and BBQ rally and thought that it would make a nice end of the season ride before winterizing the Honda Shadow for the next 6 months, (Wyoming winters can be awfully long).
I talked a musician friend into tagging along and we both had a great time. When we registered at the rally site everyone was amazed that we rode all the way from Wyoming to attend their little rally and they made us honorary officials for the weekend, which didn't mean much more than getting to wear an offical name badge and constantly being asked for directions by other bikers. You'd a thought they would have at least thrown in a plate of ribs and a free beer.
There were free blues bands perfoming every night. My bass playing friend Mel still thanks me for inviting him along.
One of the locals let us throw out our sleeping bags on his back porch which was only 2 blocks off Dickson St. and we could just walk to all the events.

It sounds like it has really grown, I'll have to make that run again next year.
Wayne

By the way I love your web site, I pull it up and read about one of your adventures at least once a week.

post #4 of 4 Old Oct 3rd, 2005, 6:57 am Thread Starter

Wayne,

I forwarded your message on to a friend who is connected with the promoters of the event, figure she'll get a kick out of it. Yep, sounds like it has grown. Can't imagine it being much bigger. Bikes everywhere, even overflowing all the way to Harrison, about 70 miles away, next morning (Sunday) they were all over town. Probably wanting to go home via Highway 7.

Thanks for the note, glad you enjoy the website.

Later,

BT

The Bad Ted

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in