While I have never broken the speed limit (It makes a real loud bang right?) I have been accused of it more than once.
My routine is to go to the magistrates office and demand a hearing.
They will insist that you pay the ticket or give them X amount of dollars to secure the hearing. Which I promptly refuse to do, so they say that I can't have a hearing without putting the cash down. I tell them to give that to me in writing ...That they are "denying me access to the court because I don't have the money" and sign it. (I think Jesus must have showed up, cause it's a miracle happens)
Now I can have a hearing date without the money.
Well while I have broken their little money grubber routine up and restored them to their role as public servants. I ain't never getting a fair hearing there, so I don't even bother going.
Next you get this thing in the mail saying you have been found guilty in absentee or shit, you have x number of days to pay the fine or appeal
So I call the magistrates office and ask them
1. If they have a transcript of the hearing in my absence?
2. Was the filing officer present
3. Will the station pay records verify that the officer was on court duty when my hearing was held without me?
4. What is the cost to have these transcribed and available for my appeal.
(None of which matters, just getting under there skin, but since the making them give me a hearing with no cash thing. They are very wary, that I may know somethings)
Then I jump on the bike blast to the county courthouse, pay my ticket and file the appeal. (At this point you do have to pay the ticket but no action is taken on your licence, no points etc. because it is under appeal)
From that point I have played it several ways;
1. Tell the cop if he don't drop it to a no point limit, every time they call you, your gonna tell the judge your waiting for your lawyer.
2. If I feel really pissed about it, I'll tell the cop we are gonna sit here all day. I'm gonna tell the judge that I'm waiting on documents (that the magistrate offices never provides, without court order)
. He can drop it; or at the end of the day I'll ask the judge to postpone the hearing for 6 weeks and issue a court order the magistrates office to provide the supporting documents.
I never had one go past this point (I think most times because they never held the hearing they said I was found guilty at in absentee) Great to be self employed and enjoy the workings of our court system.
PS When they quit, you get your money back