LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Feb 22nd, 2008, 10:26 am Thread Starter

Hey Bob, how long is this runway?

Click

"I'm running out of film, but I should have enough to record the crash."

Priceless

Dave Hoogerland

'08 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
'02 K1200LTC "The Silver Snoopy" (gone but not forgotten)
'08 Can-Am Spyder "???"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Feb 22nd, 2008, 10:55 am

Re: Hey Bob, how long is this runway?

ah... just enough.. well done...

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 Old Feb 24th, 2008, 8:07 pm

I think that airline needs to reseed some grass. That plane must've been loaded.

When a government takes over a people’s economic life it becomes absolute, and when it has become absolute it destroys the arts, the minds, the liberties and the meaning of the people it governs.
- Maxwell Anderson

Bob
2007 K1200GT

post #4 of 11 Old Feb 25th, 2008, 11:04 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobnoxous
I think that airline needs to reseed some grass. That plane must've been loaded.
That is a late 1960s design Ilyushin Il-76 Russian military transport. It was designed to operate off primitive or short runways.

#32756 -
'12
FLTRU Ember Red Sunglo (
)
'05
R1200GS Desert Yellow (
)
'00
K1200LTC Canyon Red (
) - Retired 10/2012
----------------------------------------------
'02
FLSTC Custom (
)
For bike shows, parades, Taco Thursdays and local rides on sunny days only.

post #5 of 11 Old Feb 26th, 2008, 8:14 am

Somebody must not have told the pilot about that 'cause he sure used every last inch of that runway.

Alex H Lindsay
Melbourne, FL
Champagne 2001 LT
Space Coast BMW Riders
post #6 of 11 Old Feb 26th, 2008, 8:41 am

Kind of like "Putting her on the numbers", He was just showing off.

Or, He had to go clean out his pants...

Could be either one.

He definitely trimmed the grass on the way out.

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

post #7 of 11 Old Feb 26th, 2008, 10:00 am

I was wondering why he got so close to the end of the runway for his turn around. I guess he knew how much space he really needed.

Kevin

1999 K1200LT, patiently waiting for a new model.

Slave Cylinder Procedure->
post #8 of 11 Old Feb 26th, 2008, 6:59 pm

I showed that clip to my brother, a commercial airline pilot. As he was watching it, all he said was "unbelievable... you gotta be kidding me... unbelievable... what an idiot".

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #9 of 11 Old Feb 27th, 2008, 8:31 am

Must have been using Regular rather than Hi-Test.

Alex H Lindsay
Melbourne, FL
Champagne 2001 LT
Space Coast BMW Riders
post #10 of 11 Old Feb 27th, 2008, 9:21 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by hschisler
I showed that clip to my brother, a commercial airline pilot. As he was watching it, all he said was "unbelievable... you gotta be kidding me... unbelievable... what an idiot".
I believe this was at Canberra, Australia. Actually, if you run the numbers (the performance charts), it works. He is an "idiot" from your brothers perspective because your brother does things like an airline pilot. I've heard the same comments from pilots watching an Alaskan bush pilot work his magic on a sand bar. Yes, the margin for error may be next to nil but if you go through the charts he's got his cargo and/or fuel load planned to the nth degree and he knows his aircraft well enough to operate this way. I've seen some pilots do the same technique to get airborne and then descend to just above sea level to burn off fuel until they were light enough to climb. Granted, the circumstances were different but the physics is the same.

There was an old joke about KC-135 Tanker pilots changing the "rotate" callout on takeoff to "grass" when they were high, hot, and heavy. Any "Texaco" drivers on the board?

Bill McAllister
St. Louis, MO.
2003 K1200LTE
post #11 of 11 Old Feb 27th, 2008, 6:55 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by McAllister
I believe this was at Canberra, Australia. Actually, if you run the numbers (the performance charts), it works. He is an "idiot" from your brothers perspective because your brother does things like an airline pilot. I've heard the same comments from pilots watching an Alaskan bush pilot work his magic on a sand bar. Yes, the margin for error may be next to nil but if you go through the charts he's got his cargo and/or fuel load planned to the nth degree and he knows his aircraft well enough to operate this way. I've seen some pilots do the same technique to get airborne and then descend to just above sea level to burn off fuel until they were light enough to climb. Granted, the circumstances were different but the physics is the same.
Good call.

My brother's perspective was certainly influenced by years of being trained and practicing to be ultra-safe, etc., etc. -- you pilots know better than I do what I'm trying to say, hopefully.

His comment was also influenced by his belief that Russian aircraft are not, shall we say, maintained to the same standards as the U.S.' He has said he wouldn't put his family on a Russian airline.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in