Parts Cleaning - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 Old Feb 20th, 2008, 2:44 pm Thread Starter

Parts Cleaning

Been a while since I've done significant wrenching. Having trouble with my mower and decided I needed to clean out the carb real good. Went down to the local parts store looking for some carb or parts "dip." Come to find out most brands don't sell in CA anymore and the one can I did find stated plainly I needed to capture the rinse water, evaporate it then dispose of it along with another paragraph or two of what it was going to take to work with this stuff.

When I was a kid we would pour a pan full of gasoline and soak/brush parts clean that way. Obviously not a great idea then or today. For small jobs I use a brake cleaning spray but don't like the overspray and fumes and you can't really work with it all that well if you have a pan full of parts to clean or you need to soak stuff. I'm a fan of simple green in its various forms, but it is very soapy and really needs a good hot water rinse to get all the residue off. It also doesn't soften up old gaskets very well for clean removal.

Question is: What are you using that you like to clean up parts with? Any favorites on today's shelves. Anything particularly effective and eviro friendly?

Thank you,

Dan
2005 K1200LT - Ocean Blue

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
; Nolan 103 Helmet w/Bluetooth;
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
;
;
and
;
;
;
;
;
;
(Secures gear/luggage);
; Droid X (Replaces
and factory radio);
;
;
;
;
;
;
(Not installed);
(Currently unistalled),
; Clymer Manual; BMW Service DVD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old Feb 20th, 2008, 9:42 pm

Re: Parts Cleaning

"WURTH" Citrus Based Solvent Degreaser. Degreases-Deodorizes-Cleans. 100% Biodegradable pH Balanced. Wurth Calif Ontario 800-346-4198 Part # 890924-U
Good stuff, I paid $20 for 18oz (dilute with 9 parts water) in 02. recommended by PCA (Porsche Club).
Barnett

"The idea is to die young as late as possible"

Barney Rubble (rider); Wilma Flintstone (pillion).
2000LTC CHAMPAGNE, Most prominent color at early CCR's
BMWMOA 89402

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in