Northern Illinois University shooter... - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old Feb 14th, 2008, 9:57 pm Thread Starter

Northern Illinois University shooter...

Hmmm... WTH is going on with folks...

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old Feb 15th, 2008, 6:47 am

Re: Northern Illinois University shooter...

Cfell, that is a darn good question. Info is still pretty scarce yet this morning. Not sure if there are six or seven dead and not sure if this includes the shooter or not.

I believe reports say 22 wounded some in seriuos and or critical condition. Sounded like several head injuries.

Initial reports say they were in a large lecture hall that was similar to an auditorium. Shooter came out from behind a curtain on stage and opened fire. Reports say he had a shotgun and hand gun.

Several members on this forum live in that area so I am sure they will give some updates also.

Very sad and my thoughts and prayers go out to all the families.

Roy

Roy Gregersen

Ride Slow, Ride Fast, Always Ride Safe
85 K100RT sold
02 LTC DOA 9/21/14
12 R1200RT
post #3 of 15 Old Feb 15th, 2008, 8:04 am Thread Starter

This morning the "news" said the shooter was a "former graduate student".. I believe I quote that properly..

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 15 Old Feb 15th, 2008, 8:30 am

It's just a sad way to get their "15 minutes" and then think that they go out as a hero of some sort.

"BONES" <///><

2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."
post #5 of 15 Old Feb 15th, 2008, 8:57 am Thread Starter

It seems this is just a beginning..

27 year old Steven Kazmierczak, former "graduate" student...

Shot then reloaded....
....................................reloaded..... What?????????????? What?

No reply other than cowering ... no one rushing him.. WTH... WTH...
No reply... no returned fire????? WTH???

Guess they need to "outlaw" smart people now...geez.

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #6 of 15 Old Feb 15th, 2008, 10:07 am

Cfell,
this happened in Illinois where only outlaws are allowed to carry firearms. This is not a right to carry state and I am very sure that our illustrious guvner will be using this to push his gun ban even harder. I am not sure if the campus security are allowed to carry or not.

Unfortunately, we don't know the circumstances. If he was on a stage x distance away over railings etc. May not have be easy access for anyone.

From the press reports it does appear that he graduated with honors in 06 from NIU. No suicide note or letter has been found or released at this time.

Roy

Roy Gregersen

85 K100RT sold
02 LTC DOA 9/21/14
12 R1200RT
post #7 of 15 Old Feb 15th, 2008, 3:03 pm

I haven't been able to find out is he was licensed or not. Anyone know if he was?

R1200GSA Hi Ho, Hi Ho, It's off to Alaska I go!
(Down to ONE BIKE - ARGH!)
post #8 of 15 Old Feb 15th, 2008, 3:16 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMC1
I haven't been able to find out is he was licensed or not. Anyone know if he was?
By licensed do you mean have a gun owners permit or card? In Illinois you are required to have a FOID card. (FireArm Owners ID) This card does not mean you own a firearm just that you can.

Roy

Roy Gregersen

85 K100RT sold
02 LTC DOA 9/21/14
12 R1200RT
post #9 of 15 Old Feb 15th, 2008, 3:35 pm

Yeah, I was wondering if he was allowed to get a permit to carry since he was supposed to be taking medication. Unfortunately, it looks as though he was legally carrying. Which means those of us who do carry or own will most likely have more restrictive laws passed, although in this case it sounds like they are needed from what I've heard so far.

post #10 of 15 Old Feb 15th, 2008, 3:39 pm
Cooler on the east coast!!!

No matter how we analyze it it is just a sad tragedy. Illinois has had a bad few weeks with the Tinley Park murders and now this.

G-Glove
2003 Silver LTC
post #11 of 15 Old Feb 15th, 2008, 4:42 pm

Quote:
Yeah, I was wondering if he was allowed to get a permit to carry since he was supposed to be taking medication. Unfortunately, it looks as though he was legally carrying. Which means those of us who do carry or own will most likely have more restrictive laws passed, although in this case it sounds like they are needed from what I've heard so far.
Unless the rules have changed or he was a LEO there are NO right to carry permits in Illinois. I do NOT know if they honor them from other states though.

Would stricter laws stop something like this? I doubt it since if you want weapons and have money.... they are available.

Roy

Roy Gregersen

85 K100RT sold
02 LTC DOA 9/21/14
12 R1200RT
post #12 of 15 Old Feb 15th, 2008, 5:59 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear
Unless the rules have changed or he was a LEO there are NO right to carry permits in Illinois. I do NOT know if they honor them from other states though.

Would stricter laws stop something like this? I doubt it since if you want weapons and have money.... they are available.

Roy
Roy, does this mean that you are not able to carry? Or does it mean that you don't need a carry permit, but rather a FOID? We have a Concealed carry permit here in CT, and you are able to carry your weapon on your person, with a long list of restrictions, which basically allows you to carry a weapon on your person to the range and back, or to the smith and back and that's really about it for all practical purposes.
I don't know if stricter laws would or wouldn't prevent something like this, if someone is determined to kill people, there are plenty of ways to do so. On the other hand, it would seem to me that if someone requires medication (drugs) in order to be stable, they probably should not be allowed to own a weapon - and I consider myself a staunch supporter of the 1st and 2nd amendments.

post #13 of 15 Old Feb 15th, 2008, 7:09 pm

Quote:
Roy, does this mean that you are not able to carry? Or does it mean that you don't need a carry permit, but rather a FOID? We have a Concealed carry permit here in CT, and you are able to carry your weapon on your person, with a long list of restrictions, which basically allows you to carry a weapon on your person to the range and back, or to the smith and back and that's really about it for all practical purposes.
I don't know if stricter laws would or wouldn't prevent something like this, if someone is determined to kill people, there are plenty of ways to do so. On the other hand, it would seem to me that if someone requires medication (drugs) in order to be stable, they probably should not be allowed to own a weapon - and I consider myself a staunch supporter of the 1st and 2nd amendments.
KMC,
there is no right to carry in Illinois. The FOID card just says you can own a firearm. You also need a FOID to purchase ammunition or firearms. You have to transport firearms empty, in a case, with the chamber open. They prefer you dismantle the weapon if possible. Also must be transported in the trunk of your car or back of your pick-up if at all possible.

Even when hunting with a shot gun you are only allowed to have a weapon that holds three rounds. Two in the magazine, one in the chamber. I am not sure about Rifles or pistols when deer hunting.

The gun laws here make it a very safe place for criminals.

As far as the first and second amendment, don't move to Illinois cause they mean nothing to liberal bureaucrats here.

Roy

Roy Gregersen

85 K100RT sold
02 LTC DOA 9/21/14
12 R1200RT
post #14 of 15 Old Feb 15th, 2008, 7:34 pm Thread Starter

There is no way I'd follow that illegal law...

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #15 of 15 Old Feb 15th, 2008, 8:34 pm

"Why was there no return fire"? Because most campuses don't allow guns, even in states where CCW permits are given.

I say arm the instructors/profs, and let anyone carry who is legally allowed to do so. This sh*t would stop if people could defend themselves.

No, I'm not kidding. Unfortunately this will never happen, as academia is typically too liberal to allow this to happen.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in