Ahhh! What a relief. - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Feb 14th, 2008, 8:48 pm Thread Starter
Cat Herder

Ahhh! What a relief.

Some of you may know, that I changed jobs a few months ago, and got back to my roots. Taking care of and designing medium to large scale installations and sites. As part of an ongoing project we are currently looking into deploying a small 100TB SAN, 6 x 64 processor servers, a 650 tape robotic libarary and a few other nice things. But that is only one half of the relief, after a few years of M$ WinDoze.

Last week I finally got a company laptop, and was able to spec it as well, so that it can run seemlessly in Unix/Linux, and does all the other things one would expect from a nice UNIX machine.

MAN, I cannot tell you just how good it feels to type this on a Unix laptop, knowing that I don't have to fear every second that I have another version of virus or other shit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Feb 14th, 2008, 9:03 pm

Re: Ahhh! What a relief.

Not a clue what you are talking about...but...sounds good!
Just don't forget to check the muffler belt.

Bob Thede
'02 K1200 LT-Blackie II
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'97 BMW Z3-SO's
BMWMOA #135792
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

CCR-'08

'62 Fender Jazz Bass-played often!
post #3 of 11 Old Feb 15th, 2008, 5:08 am

Yo, Andreas,

What kind of oil does that fancy machine take and when is it safe to switch to synthetic?

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok

post #4 of 11 Old Feb 15th, 2008, 6:37 am

what about tires... ya running radials or bias ply. Metzlers, 'Stones...

hey blame Grif he started it

Roy Gregersen

Ride Slow, Ride Fast, Always Ride Safe
85 K100RT sold
02 LTC DOA 9/21/14
12 R1200RT
post #5 of 11 Old Feb 15th, 2008, 8:36 am

I don't know what you said Andy, but if you are happy, then I am happy for you. May you excel and may windows open for you.

"BONES" <///><

2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."
post #6 of 11 Old Feb 15th, 2008, 8:54 am
Gold Supporter

Hey Andy, I knew your English was fair, your German was just okay, but man you have this Greek stuff down. What the hell are you going on about and is it painful?

Jerry
Look in the wolf's eyes and what do you see--A guardian spirit or fierce enemy?
2008 FLHTCU White Pearl

post #7 of 11 Old Feb 15th, 2008, 9:02 am
Lifetime Supporter

OK Andy,you asked for it.....

Why is it when I try to log into my account at HCTRA.ORG it is so slow I just give up 2 out of 3 times?

Couple of months ago it was fast. Last week,too slow.

dan
post #8 of 11 Old Feb 15th, 2008, 9:31 am

We were just told yesterday that we can't run Ubuntu on our laptops because we can't get a license for it........duh...it's FREE. Corp says we have to run RedHat...which we have to pay for. Sometimes I just figure out Corp thinking: use a tool that is free, or pay for one...hmmmm. And then they tell us to treat our budget as if it was our own money. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think free is cheaper than $$$.

Glad you're having fun Andy.

'99K1200LT - "Bertha" - gone, but not forgotten!
'86 Concours - "Horse with no name" (under reconstructive surgery)
'06 K1200GT - "Road Rocket"
Marshall, Tx

post #9 of 11 Old Feb 15th, 2008, 9:57 am Thread Starter
Cat Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanMartin
OK Andy,you asked for it.....

Why is it when I try to log into my account at HCTRA.ORG it is so slow I just give up 2 out of 3 times?

Couple of months ago it was fast. Last week,too slow.

dan
a) Last week they did some HUGE restructuring projects on the database end.
b) Thats one of the reasons why we have to get new hardware. the databases are just getting too big to be handled by those small(ish) 12 processor machines.

c) If you do get slow response call in and complain. That helps us in the long run, because the more camplaints we get the more leverage we have to buy better and faster hardware.
post #10 of 11 Old Feb 15th, 2008, 10:01 am Thread Starter
Cat Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwsdad
We were just told yesterday that we can't run Ubuntu on our laptops because we can't get a license for it........duh...it's FREE. Corp says we have to run RedHat...which we have to pay for. Sometimes I just figure out Corp thinking: use a tool that is free, or pay for one...hmmmm. And then they tell us to treat our budget as if it was our own money. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think free is cheaper than $$$.

Glad you're having fun Andy.
THAT problem I don't have. I guess being one of the architects gives you some freedom in your craziness

I am running CentOS 5.1 here on the laptop. Tried a few other but came back to CentOS. *shrugs* just works best for me. Running the company subscribed WinDoze desktop in a VMWare window.
post #11 of 11 Old Feb 15th, 2008, 10:14 am

VMWare... one solution for Microsleez issue.. run that next to a Windoze system and the VMWARE copy runs much better.

Andy.. yeah.. here in the bowels of Korporate Kamerica, these decisions to stick with MS are bizarre.

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in