Another highspeed chase. Totally different outcome. - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Feb 14th, 2008, 11:03 am Thread Starter

Another highspeed chase. Totally different outcome.

Well, this should please some of those who think the police are wrong for engaging in pursuit.
http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/cri...peed.chase.cnn

What a tragedy all the way around.

R1200GSA Hi Ho, Hi Ho, It's off to Alaska I go!
(Down to ONE BIKE - ARGH!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Feb 14th, 2008, 12:25 pm

Chases are seeming more common. I dread the day that I am on the same road as a perp who wants to get his 15 minutes of fame on some stupid television show. We are generally able to watch for "the un-expected" things that other drivers do, but an idiot (and his pursuers) travelling at 120 mph +- is .

Roy Jorawsky
Deputy Chief - SFD
2002 K1200LT - "BackDraft" - Deceased
2008 HD Ultra Screaming Eagle

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 Old Feb 14th, 2008, 12:44 pm

That is why most departments, which this department had, no pursuit policies. It is not worth it. Even if this officer had caught this guy for fleeing, he would never spend any time in jail. Heck, even after this crash the runner is still free. Not worth it.

John
Florida
2004 BMW R1150R Black
Contact me 4 motor training 1&1
Expert witness in motorcycle crash reconstruction (Contact me)

post #4 of 9 Old Feb 14th, 2008, 1:11 pm

police pursuit outcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMC1
Well, this should please some of those who think the police are wrong for engaging in pursuit.
http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/cri...peed.chase.cnn

What a tragedy all the way around.
I received your message via a Google alert. I want to believe you didn't mean what you said that people such as me would be pleased with this story. I am not pleased with this story, but the great latitude given to L.E. when it comes to chases leads to the killing of innocent bystanders. I agree with you: This story is a tragedy all the way around.

A non-policy police chase in California killed my daughter, Kristie. Kristie was a passenger in our family van as we were driving to her high school basketball game. At the same time, the police were chasing a young teenage girl. The officers knew her name, where she lived and that she was driving her motherís car. Prior to the chase, the teen was not speeding and was not running stop signs. (Yet, she is to blame as well.) The police chased her through five stop signs (a violation of their pursuit policy) and Kristie was killed as a result of it.

Kristie's brain stem was crushed and swelling caused her brain to rupture, leading to her death. We soon learned the police did not arrest the teen on the night of the chase. She went home with her mother. Officers have complete immunity in California when the fleeing driver hits an innocent bystander. Consequently, the officers involved in the chase that killed Kristie were not even disciplined for violating their policy. http://www.kristieslaw.org/

In the six years since my daughter's death, I have learned that police chases kill three innocent bystanders each week. And these chases are not to catch murderers or America's most wanted. There are other ways to catch these drivers. Oh, regarding the CNN story: I too am shocked and disappointed that the fleeing driver is not being charged for his part in this chase. He should receive mandatory prison time for a very long time.

Thank you,
Candy Priano
Director, Voices Insisting on PursuitSAFETY
http://www.pursuitsafety.org/
post #5 of 9 Old Feb 14th, 2008, 1:16 pm

EVERY day here in the UK there is a channel showing police chases. I am SO angrey about it.
There has to be some way of stopping the TV companies making these idiots famouse.
And then they say stupid things like "THIS SPEED FREAK GOT 18 MONTHS SUSPENDED SENTENCE"
What kind of deterrant is that??!!!
WHY are police forces giving this footage to TV companies?

"Whenever you find you are on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect" Mark Twain

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 9 Old Feb 14th, 2008, 1:53 pm

Re: Another highspeed chase. Totally different outcome.

I spent 34 years as a State Trooper and had my share of chases. Police react they don't initiate high speed chases, the violator does. I would like to see police refuse to chase anyone. Also not speed to accidents or answering calls of any kind. Wonder how long it would take the public to react to this. My .02 Let the pounding begin.

post #7 of 9 Old Feb 14th, 2008, 3:42 pm

Post Re: Another highspeed chase. Totally different outcome.

[QUOTE=Dix42]I spent 34 years as a State Trooper and had my share of chases. Police react they don't initiate high speed chases, the violator does. I would like to see police refuse to chase anyone. Also not speed to accidents or answering calls of any kind. Wonder how long it would take the public to react to this. My .02 Let the pounding begin.[/QUOTE

Having been in a few high speed chases while serving in the Sheriff Reserves for our county, you will get no pounding from me -- I totally agree with you. It would be interesting to see how soon the general public would react.

God bless:

Chick

Saved by Grace -- Ephesians 2:8-9

2005 Graphite LT

BMWMOA #118809

NRA Life Member

post #8 of 9 Old Feb 14th, 2008, 4:00 pm

Are you seriously saying that the 2,700 INNOCENT victims of police chases were worth it?????

AND why are the police giving the footage to TV companies to make sick TV shows???

"Whenever you find you are on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect" Mark Twain

post #9 of 9 Old Feb 14th, 2008, 5:06 pm

I think what people are saying is do your police work with reason. If you know who the suspect is, why chase, get warrants. Going after a fleeing motorcyclist at 120 mph up and down the median, with your department having a "no pursuit policy", your asking for trouble. I too have chased vehicles, but there are limits of each vehicle, and there are no trophies when you catch the fleeing person.

I do not know what I would do if my twin daughters were killed in a police chase, for whatever reason.......... They got to stop sooner or later.

John
Florida
2004 BMW R1150R Black
Contact me 4 motor training 1&1
Expert witness in motorcycle crash reconstruction (Contact me)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in