Into the Wild - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old Feb 11th, 2008, 6:16 pm Thread Starter

Into the Wild

Saw "Into the Wild" last night, a Sean Penn-directed movie about Christopher McCandless (aka Alexander Supertramp) who died of starvation in an abandoned bus in Alaska. There's a lot more to the story than that, and I recommend the movie for entertainment's sake, and for the cinemetography.

I don't see this guy as any kind of folk hero, in fact the enduring message of the film, to me, is that it is a shame he didn't get a chance to grow out of some of his foolishness. Yes, I know, sometimes lions eat their young, and sometimes other mishaps befall. No getting around it, this guy met with misadventure of his own devising. Still, a shame.

McCandless (McClueless) may have burned his money and thrown away his car, but then for the rest of the movie he leans on people who hadn't burned their money or thrown away their cars. He even had the nerve to ask the time from a guy who hadn't thrown away his watch. What the fuck is that? He should have asked WWTD? (What would Thoreau do?)

You should watch this movie, I recommend it. At the very least it makes a person think and wonder, although I am not sure viewers are thinking and wondering about what Sean Penn wants them to think and wonder about. Sean Penn's heart bleeds profusely throughout, but if you can get around that, it's still an interesting story. In my own final analysis? Sorry -- I think the Supertramp was really just another tramp. Tho not as wise as some.

That said, let me add that I am glad I had the chance to outgrow some of my own nonsense before it killed me or someone else. Maybe that is why I related to this story, enjoyed it, and haven't quit thinking about it.

T.

The Bad Ted

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old Feb 11th, 2008, 11:41 pm

I never read the book, and went into the movie not knowing the story. I really did like the movie and recognized my twenty one year old self leaving home with nothing but a Monte Carlo, a girlfriend, and a box of records and heading for ?.

I don't think Penn tried to make Christopher a folk hero. I thought he did a good job presenting him warts and all. We get to decide what to think of him. I think a lot of us see a bit of ourselves in Christopher and his hubris.

A little side note. I briefly met the guy who played Rainey, while on a work trip to the Colorado River. He owns a company that supplies boats and boatmen for scientific research projects in the Grand Canyon. Apparently he worked with Penn while filming the scenes in the Canyon and Sean liked him and used him in the movie. The guy is a natural. He is exactly like his character, that is to say a, character.

Dale White

"The shortest distance between two points is often unbearable."
Charles Bukowski
post #3 of 4 Old Feb 12th, 2008, 6:45 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertlizard
I don't think Penn tried to make Christopher a folk hero. <...> We get to decide what to think of him.
Dale White
I agree about many of us seeing a lot of ourselves in the kid. In fact, I was so intrigued, I did a lot of research on the net which ended up reinforcing my conclusions that McCandless, though apparently extremely affable and intelligent, was still pretty much clueless and a mooch. I disagree that Penn's camera angles weren't purposefully Quixotic, I sensed throughout the movie that they were.

For anyone who saw the movie (which I still recommend, if you haven't seen it) and is interested, let me point you to a couple of links. The first is an essary by a lady named Sherry Simpson, a creative writing professor at the U. of Alaska/Anchorage. An incredible writer, her piece gives an Alaskan's perspective. I hope you do yourself the pleasure of reading it, for it is extraordinary -- informative, insightful, entertaining, and a terrific demonstration of how our senses of humor and humanity are - and must remain -- inseparable. You can find it here:

http://www.pitt.edu/~nidus/archives/...nmadecold.html

The other piece is by a guy who retraced McCandles's footsteps. The idea that his starvation was caused by poisoning is debunked by chemists, in fact, parts of that explanation are pure fiction, created byJon Krakauer and Sean Penn, which is more than a little annoying to me. You can find that material here:

http://www.terraincognitafilms.com/cw-sub/cw-index.htm

You are absolutely right, Wayne, we all get to decide what we think of McCandless, his tragedy, and his responsibility for it. And most of us probably do see some parts of ourselves in his spirit. It is why I concluded my initial post as I did.

T.

The Bad Ted

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 4 Old Feb 12th, 2008, 2:04 pm

It all boils down to city boy's wonderlust meets cold harsh wilderness. Being an avid outdoors adventurer type...cross crountry hiker...back country campere...mountain climber...and rock climber I'm always full of the same wonderlust. However...I've slowly built up my wilderness survival skills to the point that I not as naive as he apparently was. The book was good...the movie was true to the book and I liked it.

I think we all would like to do exactly what he did for a little while in our lives. I've been lucky enough to get close.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in