Aquarists, come on in - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Feb 10th, 2008, 2:52 pm Thread Starter

Aquarists, come on in

Any other fish keepers here?

Gail and I currently have two freshwater set ups, a 6 ft, 210 gallon show tank along with a smaller 4 ft, 72 gallon bowfront. We had been keeping African Cichlids for almost ten years, but recently changed over to South/Central American Cichlids.

The 210 is home to a mating pair of Redheaded Cichlids (Cichlasoma synspilum). The male is around 8 inches long, the female is slightly smaller with a slightly darker coloration. This pair was around 3 inches when we got them about 4 months ago, and have produced three clutches since going into the 210 November 3rd. (I don't claim to be a photographer...)

Female with fry

Also in the 210, a pair of Red Bay Snook (
Petenia splendida). The male currently checks in at around 12 inches (should top out at ~18in.), the female is much smaller. No fry from these two yet. They have gone through the whole ritual, to the point of actually laying, but so far no fry.

We also have a couple smaller species that should top out around 6 inches. Gails favorite, a Cutteri
(Cryptoheros cutteri) and a Firemouth (Cichlasoma meeki) both around 3 inches so far.
Cutteri

Firemouth

The 72 gal bowfront is primarily home to a ~11 inch female Midas cichlid (Amphilophus citrinellus).
She is one mean bitch when she wants to be. Full of personality, she will start bumping the glass if she wants some attention. You can actually pet this fish, and she will put her head completely out of the water for you to do so.

There are a Green Texas
(Herichthys carpinte) and a Flowerhorn ( a hybrid under the genus Cichlasoma) in there also, but they are much smaller and you don't see them often when there aren't any feeders swimming around (as was the case when I took these pictures this afternoon). This tank also houses a Tiger Shovelnose that is only out after dark.

Dave Hoogerland

'08 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
'02 K1200LTC "The Silver Snoopy" (gone but not forgotten)
'08 Can-Am Spyder "???"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Feb 10th, 2008, 3:18 pm

Very nice Dave. I used to keep African's years ago and occasionally think about getting back into it. Wouldn't mind salt water either. Only thing is thinking about the $$ I'll need to spend to do it the way I would want to do it...

Mark
'07 RT
post #3 of 11 Old Feb 10th, 2008, 6:51 pm

Hmmmm

And how do they taste with chips?

Okay I am sorry I will get my jacket- it is the grubby Savanah II in the corner. ;-))))))

Graham Wintersgill
On the bonnnie bonnie banks of Loch Lomond

2001 K1200LT

1995 K75RT now deceased

post #4 of 11 Old Feb 10th, 2008, 8:30 pm
Gold Supporter

Cool!

I had a 'small' 50gal when I lived in Houston with some African Cichlids.

Never had very many at any one time, but they were a bit mean.

Nonetheless, they were beautiful fish - prettiest freshwaters IMHO.

Thanks,
Shawn

Bartlesville, Oklahoma
'03 K1200LT Titan Silver "Big Iron"
BMWMOA #118204
post #5 of 11 Old Feb 11th, 2008, 8:31 am

Three tanks here. I have a 75gl with just a community of small fish, one 55gl with Africian and one 55gl with South American. They are relaxing to watch but like mentioned earlier, they are mean.

"BONES" <///><
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."
post #6 of 11 Old Feb 11th, 2008, 2:09 pm

I used to have a 100 gallon salt-water tank set-up that lasted for 7 years. It was a most enjoyable hobby, if not a bit nerve wracking at times. Most of the fish that I ended up selling with the tank were the original inhabitants of the tank when I set it up. I actually had very little turnaround of the fish population. Based on that, I'd have to declare the experience a success.

I raised things like a juvenile emperor angel fish to adult size, watching it progress through it's various color schemes along the way. I also had a baby snowflake eel that eventually outgrew the tank and I had to give it away. The eel was way cool. He would see me taking minnows out of a package, and stick his head out of the water like a dolphin to get them out of my hand. Sure, I'd occasionally get nipped, but it was all in good fun.

The tank was pretty high tech at the time (late 1980's). Protein fractionator, ozone, constant water level system, and plumbing system that would make an oil refinery blush. I often wonder what the current state of the art for salt water tanks is like.

I sold the set-up only because I got married, and the wife didn't like the tank. I eventually got rid of her too, remarried, and now my 2nd wife has been bugging me to setup a reef tank. I'm really looking forward to doing it, but I'll probably wait until I'm retired. It's a really big time sink, and I want to have the time to do it right.

Cheers,
-joel
post #7 of 11 Old Feb 11th, 2008, 4:12 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by grahamw
And how do they taste with chips?
Well now, I don't really know. The Midas might make a nice sized sandwich, but I'm afraid the rest wouldn't amount to much after they're filleted.

Dave Hoogerland

'08 Can-Am Spyder "???"

post #8 of 11 Old Feb 11th, 2008, 4:41 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog
I used to have a 100 gallon salt-water tank set-up that lasted for 7 years. It was a most enjoyable hobby, if not a bit nerve wracking at times. Most of the fish that I ended up selling with the tank were the original inhabitants of the tank when I set it up. I actually had very little turnaround of the fish population. Based on that, I'd have to declare the experience a success.
That's as good a gauge as any!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog
I often wonder what the current state of the art for salt water tanks is like.

I sold the set-up only because I got married, and the wife didn't like the tank. I eventually got rid of her too, remarried, and now my 2nd wife has been bugging me to setup a reef tank. I'm really looking forward to doing it, but I'll probably wait until I'm retired. It's a really big time sink, and I want to have the time to do it right.
Go for it! Bigger is more $$, but as you know, more stable and less frustrating in the long run. IMO, go with a Berlin (sp) style reef set-up. Live sand, live rock, an ass ton of circulation, and a good protein skimmer in the sump underneath. Use ONLY reverse osmosis water right from the start (never treated tap), and add reef safe fish very gradually so the tank doesn't cycle.

I used to have a 115 acrylic fish-only saltwater tank, growing out a beautiful Picasso Trigger fish. I went to feed one day and the snowflake eel decided he didn't want to wait. Bastard came up, wrapped around the trigger, and clamped down on its snout. Put a 1/4 deep v-shaped cut on each side. I knew he was a goner; lasted about three days. After that it was back to cichlids...

As I type this, the Midas has her face pressed up against the bag of feeders that are acclimating. They look a little nervous.

Dave Hoogerland

'08 Can-Am Spyder "???"

post #9 of 11 Old Feb 11th, 2008, 5:36 pm

3 tanks - 2x breeding Kribensis set ups and a community tank with 15 different species in

"Whenever you find you are on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect" Mark Twain

post #10 of 11 Old Feb 11th, 2008, 5:51 pm

Hmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoog62
Well now, I don't really know. The Midas might make a nice sized sandwich, but I'm afraid the rest wouldn't amount to much after they're filleted.
That's okay - I am meant to be on a diet ;-/

Graham Wintersgill
On the bonnnie bonnie banks of Loch Lomond

2001 K1200LT

1995 K75RT now deceased
post #11 of 11 Old Feb 11th, 2008, 9:55 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoog62
I used to have a 115 acrylic fish-only saltwater tank, growing out a beautiful Picasso Trigger fish. I went to feed one day and the snowflake eel decided he didn't want to wait. Bastard came up, wrapped around the trigger, and clamped down on its snout. Put a 1/4 deep v-shaped cut on each side. I knew he was a goner; lasted about three days.
Oh, that sucks!!! Picassos are beautiful!

I actually never saw my snowflake exhibit any aggressive behavior to any of his tank mates. He was actually quite the pacifist for such a big fish. I did have a clown trigger for a long time that I raised from a nickel-sized baby (so cute!). He was one of my few casualties though. He just kind of succumbed one day, not sure why.

Thanks for the info and encouragement on the reef tank. I googled Berlin Reef Tanks and found this site.

http://www.aquarium-design.com/reeftheory.html

Holy cow -- times have changed.

Cheers,
-joel

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in