Anyone using photo sensitive lenses in their glasses? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old Feb 7th, 2008, 3:28 pm Thread Starter

Anyone using photo sensitive lenses in their glasses?

I have an optometrist appointment coming up and was looking for some practicle experience.

MANY years ago, I purchased glasses with photo-brown lenses. They did not get very dark and transitioned very slowly.

I'm sure that technology has come a ways since then and I was considering getting my new glasses with photo sensitive lenses but I am finding the info kind of confusing so I am looking for some practicle experience from fellow riders.

What kind do you have?

Happy with them?

Do they get dark enough to truly use them as sunglasses?

Is it true, that they don't work in a car since the windshield blocks out most of the UV light that activates them to change?

Your opinions wanted
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old Feb 7th, 2008, 3:44 pm

I use them. Did not get very dark at first and I was disappointed. As time passes (two months) they are getting darker. My theory is that they get more sensitive with each cycle. I'm now satisfied.
post #3 of 18 Old Feb 7th, 2008, 3:50 pm

Just got some... if you stay in the sun a while before donning the cage or helmet, they get fairly dark... once you have the UV protection on the windshield or visor, they get lighter...but not "clear".

I'd say "get them"..... try to find NON - UV shields.. you'll only need sunscreen on the exposed parts, as usual.

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 18 Old Feb 7th, 2008, 3:56 pm

I have used them for about 6 years. I love them. They seem to work better in cold sunny climate but even in tropical climate I find it much easier than using clip-ons or a separate pair of prescription sunglasses.

Wolfgang

K1200LT 1999 Champaign SOLD
R1100RS 1994 Teal SOLD
R1150RT 2003 Blue (Sold)
R1100RT 1997 Blue

Pest, Budapest Hungary

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness."
Mark Twain

post #5 of 18 Old Feb 7th, 2008, 4:22 pm
Gold Supporter

I have them and love them. As someone already mentioned they take a couple of months to really get dark, but after that they get dark and really fast too. Now, as soon as you put on your helmet they lighten up again, so don't expect to use them as sun glasses behind a face shield, but they work great for times you take off the helmet and are in the sun.

Also get Curizn (SP) coating on them. Supposed to be scratch proof, but if you drop them on concrete they will still get pretty scratched, however, they come with a two year warranty and they will replace your lenses free. Don't ask me how I know.

Another thing I learned is do not get bi-focals with a line for riding. Get the progressive lenses cause the guages are hard to read with the lined bi-focals.

If you plan on riding with them, get the safety plastic lenses and the frames that retain their shape, cause you will try to pull a full coverage helmet on over them more than once...don't ask. But with the frames that retain their shape it's not that big a deal.

Jerry
Look in the wolf's eyes and what do you see--A guardian spirit or fierce enemy?
2008 FLHTCU White Pearl

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 18 Old Feb 7th, 2008, 4:37 pm

I have progressive polarized transition reading glasses (I am far sighted), and they work quite nicely and get dark enough that I can read in the sun whereas before I had to wear my sunglasses on top of my reading glasses; not the best or most comfortable scenario. Now problem solved!
I got mine from Costco. Nice designer frames, etc...

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #7 of 18 Old Feb 7th, 2008, 7:22 pm

I got the Transition lenses last time, and they do darken very quickly, much better than ones I tried many years ago.

They help in the sun, but are not dark enough to substitute for sun glasses in my opinion. I have both, the Transition glasses I wear most of the time, and prescription sunglasses for use when driving and in the sun. My biggest problem with the Transition glasses is that they DO NOT darken in side the car! If driving in bright daylight, I have to use the sunglasses.

Since I still have to use both, I probably would not pay the extra for Transistion lenses next time.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #8 of 18 Old Feb 7th, 2008, 7:36 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveDragon
Just got new polarized prescription sunglasses.
I don't know if you suffer badly from diesel spills in the States - in the UK they are one of the major causes of bike 'offs'. Polarized lenses are a big 'NO' for motorcycle riding over here - effectively they remove all the interference colour fringing from diesel / oil mixture, so diesel spilt on a wet road does not stand out at all - it just looks like a wet road.

• 2005 LT - 17 countries, 2 CONTINENTS & counting !
  • MB SLK 350 MT
  • 1974 Triumph Bonneville 750

post #9 of 18 Old Feb 8th, 2008, 2:14 am

I like my transition lenses. Both my helmets' visors don't block UV, so my lenses darken on my 25 mile trip to work into the sun. I will pay for them again.

07 R1200RT
post #10 of 18 Old Feb 8th, 2008, 6:00 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewuff
Also get Curizn (SP) coating on them. Supposed to be scratch proof, but if you drop them on concrete they will still get pretty scratched, however, they come with a two year warranty and they will replace your lenses free. Don't ask me how I know.
Did you mean Crizal anti-glare and scratch proof surfaceing?

Quote:
Another thing I learned is do not get bi-focals with a line for riding. Get the progressive lenses cause the guages are hard to read with the lined bi-focals.
BTDT. Ordered new pair yesterday with Varilux progressive. Tried them 15 years ago with not much luck. Glasses technician said they have made some serious improvements since then.

Quote:
If you plan on riding with them, get the safety plastic lenses and the frames that retain their shape, cause you will try to pull a full coverage helmet on over them more than once...don't ask. But with the frames that retain their shape it's not that big a deal.
And Jerry if you'd learn to take them off FIRST, then you wouldn't have to have the expensive one with memory metal.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #11 of 18 Old Feb 8th, 2008, 8:09 am

I have had the transition lenses since they came out and the photo-grey before that. For the last two years I have also had the progressive lenses instead of bifocals ( I am near-sited). I would like that to get a bit darker in the summer but I do not use any other glasses, ever. I do not even use clip-on shades. I like the fact that I can walk inside (or outside) and not have to change anything.

"BONES" <///><

2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."
post #12 of 18 Old Feb 8th, 2008, 8:18 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshealey
I got the Transition lenses last time, and they do darken very quickly, much better than ones I tried many years ago.

They help in the sun, but are not dark enough to substitute for sun glasses in my opinion. I have both, the Transition glasses I wear most of the time, and prescription sunglasses for use when driving and in the sun.
I use the same approach: dark (polarized) sunglasses during most of the day. I usually try to change to my transition lens glasses at the last gas stop before dusk so I don't have to pull over when the sun sets.

Jim S.
'07 SturmGrau K1200LT

ďNot all those who wander are lost.Ē

post #13 of 18 Old Feb 8th, 2008, 9:42 am
ajs

Some years ago I used the photo gray prescription plastic lens glasses that were also scratch resistant. They weren't very satisfactory. Photo gray didn't work very well and they scratched to he**. The next set were clear glass lens with no special features. They were a nuisance as far as constantly changing to suit varying sun, cloud, driving etc. conditions. My next pair were photo grays again with scratch resistant plastic lenses and progressive bifocals (gettin' older here!). They worked much better than the first pair and didn't scratch. Every pair I've had since has been the same except I am now into progressive tri-focals (older again!).

I use them in every circumstance, in the car, on the bike behind my face shield, in daylight, at night, for reading. Never change anything, just wear 'em I don't pay much attention to the "fine toonin'" aspects. I just wear 'em because I like 'em. I like them because they work for me. The one complaint I have, they are slow to lighten again when I come in from a bright sunlight, or bright snow day. I just slide 'em down my nose a bit and look over the top and try not to bump into anything for a few minutes. I really can't see me changing any time soon.
post #14 of 18 Old Feb 8th, 2008, 9:45 am
ajs

Forgot to mention, I am wearing them in my avatar. (Did I spell that right?) My wife is wearing her clear lens glasses. She is constantly changing depending on conditions. She also says she is going to the photo-grays when she has to get them changed.
post #15 of 18 Old Feb 8th, 2008, 11:17 am
Gold Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_R
Did you mean Crizal anti-glare and scratch proof surfaceing?

BTDT. Ordered new pair yesterday with Varilux progressive. Tried them 15 years ago with not much luck. Glasses technician said they have made some serious improvements since then.

And Jerry if you'd learn to take them off FIRST, then you wouldn't have to have the expensive one with memory metal.
Thanks Steve for all the wonderfull advise and comments, you A$$h**e!!!

Yep, that would be the Crizal. Great lens coating!!! You will like the new progressive lenses Steve. Like you, I tried them years ago without much luck, but now I won't go without. Can't stand lined bi-focals anymore.

And yes, if only I would learn from my mistakes...been married three times too, so what does that tell you? But I did stay in a Super 8 Motel on my last trip..........Oh...nevermind.

Jerry
Look in the wolf's eyes and what do you see--A guardian spirit or fierce enemy?
2008 FLHTCU White Pearl

post #16 of 18 Old Feb 8th, 2008, 12:18 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_R

Just be very careful until your brain acclimates to them, I was ok when I got in the car but the dashboard turned into a wavy rubber snake when I did my first "check both mirrors" head movement. Glad I was not moving at the time. Now I gotta see about getting a set that are upside down for that close up work under the car.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #17 of 18 Old Feb 8th, 2008, 4:55 pm

I retail Photochromic Bobsters among other things. I wear them when riding my bike and they work great. I had tried others in the past three years, started my website about two years ago and and since then came across these Bobster Photochromics. So of course, I bought a pair and tried them and I really like them. They work better than the ones I had three years ago. Not sure if they did just starting making better quality photochromics or if the Bobsters are just a better brand than what I was buying three years ago. Anyway, if interested in checking them out just click on the link in my signature.

I am also new here. I was emailed thru Google Alerts about this site and look forward to chatting with some of ya. I like forums, some can be very informative.
post #18 of 18 Old Feb 10th, 2008, 1:13 pm

Photo-sensitive

A friend bought a new crash helmet at a show a couple of weeks ago and was offered a photo-sensitive visor as an option.
I used photo-sensitive glasses for some time. the newer ones did react a lot quicker. I really noticed it when I took them off. I stopped using them because I had a tinted windshield, and a tinted visor.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in