FIOS faster than a new GT! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Feb 6th, 2008, 7:00 pm Thread Starter

FIOS faster than a new GT!

I just dumped my Direct TV system and went with the new Verizon FIOS that gives me HD TV system, telephone, and internet. It is all fiber optic to the house so there is no slow down at night on the internet, as good of pic as the HD Direct TV (when it was working good) and the phone sounds the same. I got the fastest internet they offered which is download of 15mps and upload of 15mps actual speed is 14,750 down and 13,850 up. It is so much faster than my old cable its funny and I had the fastest RoadRunner offered which ran about 5 down and 1 up. I saved about $40 by doing the whole thing as a bundle over what I had, but Direct TV has told me they want $420 from me for cancelling the contract but I think I can get out of that. The system they installed here in Torrance was all state of the art stuff that they are going to offer goodies here as they come on line first, like internet at the speed of 100mps! Anyway it now only takes me about 6 seconds to upload a 6-7meg pic to smugmug now so i am very happy.

05' LT Dark Grey, "Battle Star"
14' KTM 1190
03' KTM 450 EXC Dually
72' Honda SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
65' Honda CB160
70' Honda CB350
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Feb 6th, 2008, 7:11 pm

FIOS faster than a GT

Here in the UK with BT (british telecom) They "Offer" 8Mbps but I get , on a good day 4Mbps. In the evenings they are restricting me to as low as 512Kbps and 1Mbps, " because you are using it too much" This by the way is the "Unlimited" package. They quoted me my usage figures (up to 174GB in one month) which would be quite honestly impossible to obtain. Especially in view of their reliability.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 Old Feb 6th, 2008, 9:24 pm
Cat Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmatson
I just dumped my Direct TV system and went with the new Verizon FIOS that gives me HD TV system, telephone, and internet. It is all fiber optic to the house so there is no slow down at night on the internet, as good of pic as the HD Direct TV (when it was working good) and the phone sounds the same. I got the fastest internet they offered which is download of 15mps and upload of 15mps actual speed is 14,750 down and 13,850 up. It is so much faster than my old cable its funny and I had the fastest RoadRunner offered which ran about 5 down and 1 up. I saved about $40 by doing the whole thing as a bundle over what I had, but Direct TV has told me they want $420 from me for cancelling the contract but I think I can get out of that. The system they installed here in Torrance was all state of the art stuff that they are going to offer goodies here as they come on line first, like internet at the speed of 100mps! Anyway it now only takes me about 6 seconds to upload a 6-7meg pic to smugmug now so i am very happy.
You have no idea how envious I am. I have a 'decent' connection with 8Mb down and 1Mb up, but at times when working from home I sure could need a higher up bandwidth. And as it looks like Houston is not in the plans for FIOS rollout either. That leaves DOCSIS 3.0 but if and when this is going to be available nobody seems to know.

post #4 of 7 Old Feb 6th, 2008, 9:47 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Unhappy Ya....

And us guys with only dial up available....on a good day 33K...

Patric Blackman
2002 K1200LT/Hannigan2+2
2010 R1200GSA ...1987 Helix...
AMA Charter Lifemember
37 Year Member of both BMWMOA & BMWRA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 7 Old Feb 6th, 2008, 9:53 pm
Cat Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patric
And us guys with only dial up available....on a good day 33K...
You can get Satellite ...
post #6 of 7 Old Feb 6th, 2008, 10:16 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Well , there puting in a cable ...I think it is a fiber-optic a mile away from us . Mabey come spring they might have DHL

Patric Blackman
2002 K1200LT/Hannigan2+2
2010 R1200GSA ...1987 Helix...
AMA Charter Lifemember
37 Year Member of both BMWMOA & BMWRA

post #7 of 7 Old Feb 6th, 2008, 11:20 pm
Old Dawg

We have had fiber to the home since 1999 and I have been enjoying 10mps both directions ever since. A few items I should mention though... The company that did it was called Winfirst and went broke doing it (dot com burn rate of 200 million to do two neighborhoods), we were the first in the nation to have fiber to the home, we still are fastest if you want to pony up for the 50mps service and the final thing to mention is I sure am glad Surewest came up with the $12 million (not bad after $200 million spent) to buy Winfirst out of bankruptcy so our service could continue on.

Scott
Sacramento CA
HDDC Posse

''03 Ducati ST4S with ABS - '12 KTM 500EXC - '19 BMW GS/A
(Jessica Focker's) '15 BMW S1000RR - '17 KTM 350EXC-F - '09 Yamaha XT250

Some of the most asinine things people do are typically preceded by the two words "Watch this."

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in