Fired employee revenge - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old Feb 5th, 2008, 9:14 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Cool Fired employee revenge

http://www.kxan.com/global/story.asp?s=7826839

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old Feb 5th, 2008, 9:54 pm

OK ... the guy's a lunatic, idiot, moron, and so on. But where's the backups?! Hello?!
These kind of stories send me through the roof!!!
post #3 of 18 Old Feb 5th, 2008, 10:01 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

uh... yeah... backup.. didn't we save $ by eliminating that nuisance?

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 18 Old Feb 5th, 2008, 10:13 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Maybe the guy they fired was responsible for the backups?

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #5 of 18 Old Feb 5th, 2008, 10:15 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
Maybe the guy they fired was responsible for the backups?
The owner of a 6-employee company better be a little more hands-on than that.
post #6 of 18 Old Feb 6th, 2008, 12:34 am
IBR# 366

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
The owner of a 6-employee company better be a little more hands-on than that.
Agreed. But some of these guys are way too important to be bothered with such trivial details. That's where guys like you and I fit in. I have full backups of all the equipment I've worked on, and I still get frantic calls when something goes kablooey. You'd be surprised how fast they can cough up a PO and a 50% deposit when the entire production line has come to a halt.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #7 of 18 Old Feb 6th, 2008, 12:41 am

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
...goes kablooey
That's one of the funniest things you've ever typed Ken! Thanks for the belly laugh!
post #8 of 18 Old Feb 6th, 2008, 5:02 am

Okay question from the peanut gallery!!!

If he was so great at destroying all of this info, Why did'nt he cover his tracks, so no one would know it was him that destroyed all the info???

About all I know is a little more than how to turn it on and off! Enough to get me in trouble!!

NOGILLS2

Booze Brother# 69
2003 K1200LTE "BEERBURNER" RIP 07/21/09
2006 Aluma Trailer "AFTERBURNER" SOLD
2007 ST1300ABS "Quicksilver"

post #9 of 18 Old Feb 6th, 2008, 7:40 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOGILLS2
If he was so great at destroying all of this info, Why did'nt he cover his tracks, so no one would know it was him that destroyed all the info???
I have to believe at the moment when he was going Postal, his discernment of consequences was a little blurred.
post #10 of 18 Old Feb 6th, 2008, 7:58 am

Certainly would have been easy enough to cover your tracks. But. there are very few coincidences in the business. Employee fired, files gone the next day ?

Doesn't take too much in the way of math skills to figure out what has happened.

But still. You shouldn't piss off your computer guy if you don't know what's going on yourself.

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

post #11 of 18 Old Feb 6th, 2008, 8:54 am

I guess it shows you have to be smart to get away with it!

NOGILLS2

Booze Brother# 69
2003 K1200LTE "BEERBURNER" RIP 07/21/09
2006 Aluma Trailer "AFTERBURNER" SOLD
2007 ST1300ABS "Quicksilver"

post #12 of 18 Old Feb 6th, 2008, 10:10 am
IBR# 366

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPSpen
Certainly would have been easy enough to cover your tracks. But. there are very few coincidences in the business. Employee fired, files gone the next day?
Every good techie knows you should wait at least a week before hacking back in to the office servers. Duh.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #13 of 18 Old Feb 7th, 2008, 7:21 pm

And make damn sure you've planted your own backdoor.

that way when they change all the passwords 10 minutes before you're shown the door - you still have a way in....

Tate

02 Mauve - my 'Light Truck'
Wyoming Immigration Officer, Cyberhiway tour guide and

post #14 of 18 Old Feb 7th, 2008, 8:55 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zotter
And make damn sure you've planted your own backdoor.

that way when they change all the passwords 10 minutes before you're shown the door - you still have a way in....
Yeah.. good thing the "offshoring" of programming for crucial applications isn't affected..

... uh-huh...

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #15 of 18 Old Feb 8th, 2008, 5:35 pm

Dumb shit!, but how many IT guys here have back doors into the systems they maintain???

Come on...own up! I used to work for a university, and 2 years after I left my back doors were still open. I sent them a mail to get them closed. Well ya have to have a way in when it all goes tits up don't you???!

Rgds
Mike

"For those that know, no explanation is needed,
For those that don't, no explanation is possible."

2001 K12 LT Toscana Green AKA Baby Sh*t Green
Kawasaki EN500 - been sold on!
Hardtail Chopper ( Honda CB 500 engine) in a box still!
post #16 of 18 Old Feb 8th, 2008, 7:01 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by myk_edwards
Dumb shit!, but how many IT guys here have back doors into the systems they maintain???
That would violate company policy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by myk_edwards
... it all goes tits up don't you???!
I really do like some of the expressions you guys "over there" use Myk... Doubt I can use it though next time things go kablooey {thanks Ken }.

Backups - how many times have you gone to the backup only to find, it won't load, was 'messed up', wasn't on the tape at all, backups were turned off or kobs fail and no one reviews the logs, etc...? It's a great profession!
post #17 of 18 Old Feb 8th, 2008, 8:49 pm

Shawn in order - this may help out.

Pranged - not as it should be, needs repair (sometimes fittingly used by Brits as an understatement for a Charlie Fox, or worse. Be careful when talking to Brits though - they have their own scale.)
SNAFU - Situation normal, all "fouled" up - it's under repair and will be ready soon, they say.
Tango Uniform - Tits up (it's dead Jim) - It's broke and no one's repaired it. May be scheduled for repair with a workable ETA
FUBAR - "Fouled" up beyond all Repair - They said it was repaired, but it ain't, yet. May also mean it's under repair, but with no workable ETA.
Charle Fox - Cluster "foul" - either no one noticed it needed repair or it failed again in such a way as to be obvious. May also mean it's under repair and they broke it even worse. "They" should replace it.
Romeo Fox - Rat "foul" - It was fixed, signed off and was used. But, it wasn't right and now all kinds of bad things - very bad things - have happened as a result.

You never, ever wanted to hear even so much as a rumor of a Romeo Fox - that affected EVERYONE badly.

Tate

02 Mauve - my 'Light Truck'
Wyoming Immigration Officer, Cyberhiway tour guide and

post #18 of 18 Old Feb 9th, 2008, 9:32 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zotter
Shawn in order - this may help out.

Pranged - not as it should be, needs repair (sometimes fittingly used by Brits as an understatement for a Charlie Fox, or worse. Be careful when talking to Brits though - they have their own scale.)
SNAFU - Situation normal, all "fouled" up - it's under repair and will be ready soon, they say.
Tango Uniform - Tits up (it's dead Jim) - It's broke and no one's repaired it. May be scheduled for repair with a workable ETA
FUBAR - "Fouled" up beyond all Repair - They said it was repaired, but it ain't, yet. May also mean it's under repair, but with no workable ETA.
Charle Fox - Cluster "foul" - either no one noticed it needed repair or it failed again in such a way as to be obvious. May also mean it's under repair and they broke it even worse. "They" should replace it.
Romeo Fox - Rat "foul" - It was fixed, signed off and was used. But, it wasn't right and now all kinds of bad things - very bad things - have happened as a result.

You never, ever wanted to hear even so much as a rumor of a Romeo Fox - that affected EVERYONE badly.
Thanks Tate... lately we have had a run of "bad luck" and my admins making less than smart choices, consequently I find my self in the principal's office getting grilled and filling out a lot of Incident Reports.... I should be able to work a few of these in!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in