Sure VoIP is cool. But what about CoIP?!!! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old Feb 5th, 2008, 8:19 am Thread Starter

Lightbulb Sure VoIP is cool. But what about CoIP?!!!

One of my tasks at Kenston Schools is to manage the Cisco VoIP (Voice Over Internet Protocol) phone system. And as cool as that is . . . there's something new on the horizon that I'm currently working on. A new technology that is sure to make older technologies just look ... well ... antiquated at best. Obviously I gave it away in the title of this thread, I am referring to CoIP.

Now a quick Google search will reveil several different technologies that CoIP stands for. Heck! Wikipedia doesn't even have it listed yet. But that's all about to change!!! CoIP just might be messenger13's proverbial paper clip. The greatest thing since sliced bread. Better than The Beatles! And bigger than Elvis.

Ladies and Gentlemen, I bring to bmwlt.com a picture of my first prototype CoIP device. Without further ado, I bring to you all . . . . . .

COFFEE over I.P.!!!

And rumor has it that ver 2.0 will support PoE. I'm going to power a thermostatically-controlled coffee cup from a PoE port. How cool is THAT?!?!

Y'all get in line. I'll be taking orders SOON!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	COIP.jpg
Views:	286
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	16468  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old Feb 5th, 2008, 11:08 am

LOL!
Joe, you make GEEKS look cool!!!

R1200GSA Hi Ho, Hi Ho, It's off to Alaska I go!
(Down to ONE BIKE - ARGH!)
post #3 of 14 Old Feb 5th, 2008, 11:25 am
Lifetime Supporter

Talking

I prefer Coffee over IP to I pee over coffee. JMHO!
Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
Obviously I gave it away in the title of this thread, I am referring to CoIP.

Now a quick Google search will reveil several different technologies that CoIP stands for. Heck! Wikipedia doesn't even have it listed yet. But that's all about to change!!! CoIP just might be messenger13's proverbial paper clip. The greatest thing since sliced bread. Better than The Beatles! And bigger than Elvis.

Ladies and Gentlemen, I bring to bmwlt.com a picture of my first prototype CoIP device. Without further ado, I bring to you all . . . . . .

COFFEE over I.P.!!!

And rumor has it that ver 2.0 will support PoE. I'm going to power a thermostatically-controlled coffee cup from a PoE port. How cool is THAT?!?!

Y'all get in line. I'll be taking orders SOON!

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 14 Old Feb 5th, 2008, 1:11 pm

That's cool!! Gets an up flipper from the penguin

Now - how the hell do I upload custom images to CME so they show on the phone displays??

Gotta love the Cisco documentation (or at least what I've found so far!)

Relase notes and upgrade|install guides. Still trying to find an 'operators manual'.

Talk 'bout piss'n in the wind.....

Tate

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

02 Mauve - my 'Light Truck'
Wyoming Immigration Officer, Cyberhiway tour guide and

post #5 of 14 Old Feb 5th, 2008, 2:00 pm

Add to this device and you would have a real triple threat.

#32756 -
'12
FLTRU Ember Red Sunglo (
)
'05
R1200GS Desert Yellow (
)
'00
K1200LTC Canyon Red (
) - Retired 10/2012
----------------------------------------------
'02
FLSTC Custom (
)
For bike shows, parades, Taco Thursdays and local rides on sunny days only.

post #6 of 14 Old Feb 5th, 2008, 3:40 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwd98056
Add to this device and you would have a real triple threat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
Already on it! That's the ver 2.0, supporting PoE (Power over Ethernet).
post #7 of 14 Old Feb 5th, 2008, 3:56 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zotter
Now - how the hell do I upload custom images to CME so they show on the phone displays??
Haven't seen CM Express yet. Not sure I ever will. Nor have I uploaded custom images. I believe I do have a piece of freeware for managing the phones though. It may be just what you're looking for. I'll check tomorrow when I'm back in the office.
post #8 of 14 Old Feb 5th, 2008, 6:39 pm

Thanks Joe - I'm curious to see it.

But, we (two of us on this here) did finally wade our way through to what we needed on the Cisco site. Actually, we found a 'community support board' and it had a useful link back to the Cisco site. The Cisco site has a lot of info!! Just it's damn near impossible to find what you need. Lots of reading along the way! Found this gem - Did the trick!!

Not bad for a device that's supposed to be configured through a GUI only! (Cisco Configuration Assistant). Though the new version of CCA (1.5) does a LOT better with SIP trunking now.

I'm going to submit a feature request for your CoIP technology - I'll have 'em contact you here, k?

Tate

02 Mauve - my 'Light Truck'
Wyoming Immigration Officer, Cyberhiway tour guide and

post #9 of 14 Old Feb 6th, 2008, 7:59 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zotter
Thanks Joe - I'm curious to see it.
Here it is. Let me know if it's helpful. Not sure it works with CME.
post #10 of 14 Old Feb 6th, 2008, 8:16 am

Sorry Joe, but you're 10 years behind us Brits. COIP was developed at Cambridge University over 15 years ago, a useful little spin-off from it was the WebCam. You ex-colonials really must keep up

• 2005 LT - 17 countries, 2 CONTINENTS & counting !
  • MB SLK 350 MT
  • 1974 Triumph Bonneville 750

post #11 of 14 Old Feb 6th, 2008, 9:55 am Thread Starter

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolly
Sorry Joe, but you're 10 years behind us Brits. COIP was developed at Cambridge University over 15 years ago, a useful little spin-off from it was the WebCam. You ex-colonials really must keep up
messenger13 - Always a day late and a dollar (a pound?) short!
post #12 of 14 Old Feb 6th, 2008, 10:01 am
IBR# 366

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolly
Wouldn't that be TOIP?

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #13 of 14 Old Feb 6th, 2008, 10:06 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
Wouldn't that be TOIP?
Now Meese! I was going to leave that one alone ... and there you go!

(Was pretty good though...)
post #14 of 14 Old Feb 6th, 2008, 10:31 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
Wouldn't that be TOIP?
Unfortunately, the Japanese were first with ToIP - looks better during opening hours though!!

• 2005 LT - 17 countries, 2 CONTINENTS & counting !
  • MB SLK 350 MT
  • 1974 Triumph Bonneville 750

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in