What's the best oil to use in my bike? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Feb 4th, 2008, 6:38 pm Thread Starter

What's the best oil to use in my bike?

I don't really want to know, but the thread about the car oil seemed like it was really cooling down.

Hope this helps.

T.

The Bad Ted

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Feb 4th, 2008, 6:49 pm
BMW Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveDragon
Crisco
I've done some extensive research and came up with these results...

Cooking Oil:
How to choose a good one

Written by Gloria Tsang, RD
Published In June 2005; Updated in May 2007
All manufacturers claim their own cooking oil is the best! Canola oil, olive oil, sunflower oil, butter, margarine and even virgin coconut oil each has its supporters. Before we conclude the best cooking oil(s), let's look at the essential - Fats 101. We classified the following fats as "good fats" and "bad fats" based on their heart-smart values: their ability to raise or lower total and LDL cholesterol.

The Bad Fats
Saturated Fats Saturated fats raise total blood cholesterol as well as LDL cholesterol (the bad cholesterol). Trans Fats Trans fats raise LDL cholesterol (the bad cholesterol) and lower HDL cholesterol (the good cholesterol).
The Good Fats
Monounsaturated Fats Monounsaturated fats lower total cholesterol and LDL cholesterol (the bad cholesterol) and increase the HDL cholesterol (the good cholesterol). Polyunsaturated Fats Polyunsaturated fats also lower total cholesterol and LDL cholesterol. Omega 3 fatty acids belong to this group.
Therefore, based on the above classification, the "ideal" cooking oil should contain higher amount of monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats and with minimal or no saturated fats and trans fats.

The Verdict? As long as you're using fats and oils sparingly in your cooking and preparation, it would be fine to use any one of the following "good" oils. All of the following oils are low in saturated fats and trans fats. Some have high concentration of monounsaturated fats such as olive oil. Choose corn oil, safflower oil, sunflower oil, soy oil or canola oil if you wish to fry foods as these oils have higher smoke point. It is best not to fry with olive oil as its smoke point is only about 190C/375F.
  • Good Cooking Oils:
    • canola oil
    • flax seed oil
    • peanut oil
    • olive oil
    • non-hydrogenated soft margarine
    • safflower oil
    • sunflower oil
    • corn oil
The following "bad" oils contain high percentage of trans fat or saturated fats. Some, such as coconut oil, even contain more saturated fats than animal products!

2007 G650 X Challenge
2006 GT200
2005 R1200GS

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 Old Feb 4th, 2008, 6:55 pm Thread Starter

Aren't you supposed to be the Good Ted? Anyway, that second one from the left looks like my oil when I change it, including the whatever that is in suspension, so I guess I'm on the right track. As for Crisco, Dave, that's pretty Old School, man.

T.

The Bad Ted

post #4 of 12 Old Feb 4th, 2008, 7:05 pm
BMW Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenixroyale
Aren't you supposed to be the Good Ted? Anyway, that second one from the left looks like my oil when I change it, including the whatever that is in suspension, so I guess I'm on the right track. As for Crisco, Dave, that's pretty Old School, man.

T.
I AM the Good Ted. Just tryin' to help you out. Don't want you using the wrong stuff...

2007 G650 X Challenge
2006 GT200
2005 R1200GS

post #5 of 12 Old Feb 4th, 2008, 7:05 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fenixroyale
As for Crisco, Dave, that's pretty Old School, man.
Anyone remember playing Crisco Twister back in school? Anyone? Never mind.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #6 of 12 Old Feb 4th, 2008, 7:17 pm Thread Starter

I had to look it up on the internet, and I was pretty shocked.

At least until I realized I'd typo'ed the damn thing, and my search results were for "Crisco Sister." Whew!

When I finally got it right (Crisco Twister), I saw it was just a game that is still popular, apparently. Couple of discos and at least one song dedicated to the sport.

T.

The Bad Ted

post #7 of 12 Old Feb 4th, 2008, 7:47 pm

Wesson oil is the best as shown on the charts here:
http://www.jbc.org/cgi/reprint/103/2/455.pdf

John & Cathy
Northern CA
01 K1200LTC Basalt - Moose

Posse #2

If you don't know where you're going, you might end up somewhere else
post #8 of 12 Old Feb 4th, 2008, 8:16 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Quote:
YUP

Left Leg BROKEN!
Uh Dave, it's a lot more fun played with members of the opposite gender. Unless you prefer something else, of course. And best played au naturale, so as not to stain your good party clothes.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #9 of 12 Old Feb 4th, 2008, 10:33 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Quote:
I know; I was quoting a comedian from XM150 who was commenting on his siblings not letting play so he greased the corners dots.
Ah, I see. No XM or Sirius here so I guess I'm just outta the loop.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #10 of 12 Old Feb 5th, 2008, 12:59 am
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
Uh Dave, it's a lot more fun played with members of the opposite gender. Unless you prefer something else, of course. And best played au naturale, so as not to stain your good party clothes.
Dude, that is not a mental image I needed.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

post #11 of 12 Old Feb 5th, 2008, 11:26 am

+1 on the Wesson. You haven't lived until you've broken out the rubber sheets and the Wesson oil.

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

post #12 of 12 Old Feb 5th, 2008, 11:32 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPSpen
+1 on the Wesson. You haven't lived until you've broken out the rubber sheets and the Wesson oil.

John
If you have a waterbed, you don't even need the rubbersheets...And waterbased stuff works better than vegetable or petroleum based...but that is for a different board...

Wolfgang

K1200LT 1999 Champaign SOLD
R1100RS 1994 Teal SOLD
R1150RT 2003 Blue (Sold)
R1100RT 1997 Blue

Pest, Budapest Hungary

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness."
Mark Twain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in