What oil to use on your car? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 39 Old Feb 2nd, 2008, 12:15 pm Thread Starter

What oil to use on your car?

When changing your oil make sure to use oil that is specifically listed by the car maker as approved. These lists are long and have some obscure brands that I have never heard of. If you have a failure it helps to produce proof that you used an approved oil.

I have attached the bulletins from Audi and Mercedes Benz. If you search, you will find similar bulletins from others.

PS: Audi and VW approvals are the same.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Audi_VW Approved_Oil_Chart.pdf (196.9 KB, 306 views)
File Type: pdf BEVO_229.5_MB.pdf (53.2 KB, 573 views)

Wolfgang

K1200LT 1999 Champaign SOLD
R1100RS 1994 Teal SOLD
R1150RT 2003 Blue (Sold)
R1100RT 1997 Blue

Pest, Budapest Hungary

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness."
Mark Twain

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 Old Feb 2nd, 2008, 12:28 pm

I'd love to see them try to deny a claim cause I use WalMart oil.
post #3 of 39 Old Feb 2nd, 2008, 12:30 pm

Dang, I really messed up. I used something a bit thicker than a 5W-30 or a 5W-40. Is the 10W-40 gonna hurt my car?

"BONES" <///><
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2018 R1200RT
2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."

post #4 of 39 Old Feb 2nd, 2008, 1:43 pm

I dunno... I have 2 MB's and don't understand a word of German (save Nein!). I don't get the MB chart tat all.

Mark
'07 RT
post #5 of 39 Old Feb 2nd, 2008, 2:46 pm
BMW Guru

"What Kind of Oil??"

Couldn't tell you, nor do I really care

What ever the Ford dealer puts in it...

2007 G650 X Challenge
2006 GT200
2005 R1200GS

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 39 Old Feb 2nd, 2008, 3:56 pm

I would use Mobil 1 (non Dino) in my MB, but seeing it's only done 3200 miles in over 3 years, it's never felt the need . . .

• 2005 LT - 17 countries, 2 CONTINENTS & counting !
  • MB SLK 350 MT
  • 1974 Triumph Bonneville 750

post #7 of 39 Old Feb 2nd, 2008, 5:43 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibbones
Dang, I really messed up. I used something a bit thicker than a 5W-30 or a 5W-40. Is the 10W-40 gonna hurt my car?
Probably not. Which oil and what car?
post #8 of 39 Old Feb 2nd, 2008, 6:53 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolly
I would use Mobil 1 (non Dino) in my MB, but seeing it's only done 3200 miles in over 3 years, it's never felt the need . . .

SWEEEEEET RIDE!

Chick

Saved by Grace -- Ephesians 2:8-9

2005 Graphite LT

BMWMOA #118809

NRA Life Member

post #9 of 39 Old Feb 2nd, 2008, 7:13 pm

Ted,

Nowhere did I push Amsoil. A lot of people use this link because it lists the MANUFACTURERS lubricant recommendations. If someone wants to find what the MANUFACTURER recommends for viscosity and other oil parameters for a certain vehicle, it is listed there. They can then check that the oil brand they would like to use meets the MANFACTURERS recommendations. These are the MANUFACTURERS recommendations. Sheesh, some people are so sensitive.

Aren't profanity, name calling and disrespect prohibited on this forum?

Last edited by TimVipond; Feb 2nd, 2008 at 7:22 pm.
post #10 of 39 Old Feb 2nd, 2008, 8:13 pm

Also, in the USA and Canada it is not required that you use an oil on a vehicle manufacturers recommended oil list. It only has to meet or exceed their listed specifications, and most non listed brands will list if manufacturers specification will be met and printed on the bottle or the Product Data Sheet. If a dealership says you have to use their recommended brands of oil, have them put it in writing on the dealership letterhead (they usually won't) and send it to me and I'll have it taken care of.

Last edited by Amsoil1; Feb 3rd, 2008 at 9:47 pm.
post #11 of 39 Old Feb 2nd, 2008, 10:06 pm
BMW Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimVipond
Ted,

Nowhere did I push Amsoil. A lot of people use this link because it lists the MANUFACTURERS lubricant recommendations. If someone wants to find what the MANUFACTURER recommends for viscosity and other oil parameters for a certain vehicle, it is listed there. They can then check that the oil brand they would like to use meets the MANFACTURERS recommendations. These are the MANUFACTURERS recommendations. Sheesh, some people are so sensitive.

Aren't profanity, name calling and disrespect prohibited on this forum?
You're excuses are your own. You know exactly what you are doing. It's way to obvious. You responde to EVERY thread on this forum with some reference to oil. Your signature is a damn sales pitch...

2007 G650 X Challenge
2006 GT200
2005 R1200GS

post #12 of 39 Old Feb 2nd, 2008, 11:06 pm

I do like oil threads and feel I can contribute since I learned a few things about oil working for Shell Oil in their research facilities for 28 years. I have also learned a lot from the 6500 pages of information on the Amsoil website. My threads contain facts and documentation. I try to clear up some of the misconceptions, myths and inaccuracies that sometimes find their way here. I am always looking for better products. I have enjoyed working on my two K1200LT's, enjoyed the 164,000 miles on them, and have learned a lot from the members here.

We are all here to learn and teach. Not to ridicule and curse each other.

At least you have toned down your profanity, name calling and abuse.

Let's get back to the topic of "What oil to use in your car", shall we?

I say start with the owners manual. If you have questions, contact the vehicle manufacturer and the oil company. Compare formulations and test results from the Material Safety Data Sheets and the Product Data Sheets. Look at what change intervals and warranties the oil companies offer. Look for name brand comparisons. Try a few brands/types in your vehicles and see which you prefer.

Last edited by Amsoil1; Feb 3rd, 2008 at 9:45 pm.
post #13 of 39 Old Feb 3rd, 2008, 12:03 am

Will this void my Bentley's warranty?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bomber Oil.jpg
Views:	720
Size:	131.1 KB
ID:	16409  

2002 K1200LTC Ocean Blue
post #14 of 39 Old Feb 3rd, 2008, 9:11 am
Cat Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric_R
Will this void my Bentley's warranty?
Not if you drink it.
post #15 of 39 Old Feb 3rd, 2008, 9:29 am Thread Starter

Wink

Here is my observation:

If an oscure oil company in Serbia can get their oil approved by two of Europes largest car makers (VW and MB) why can some other companies that claim to be among the worlds biggest and best not?

As far as warranty is concerned: No car maker is going to fight you beyond the initial denial of a claim if you use an oil not on their list. They will settle at the threat of a lawsuit, unless you used something that is blatantly unsuitable.

BUT, once your warranty has expired the manufacturer has no further obligation (unless it is a government ordered recall) As one who has, and still makes these decisions - Goodwill or not - I can assure you that it does make a difference.

Typically a check sheet is used to make a desicion. It goes something like this: All maintenance done at dealer, yes/no? If not, maintenances documented, yes/no? If yes, Factory approved products used, yes/no? By now you can see were this is going.

Same conclusion as in a previous thread: If you like to do your own work, like to save money, and don't mind taking the assosiated risk, do it any way you like, and use whatever you like using. If you like the security associated by following what the manufacturer recommend than go the dealer and approved products route.

I just don't see the point in arguing why the manufactures approve one oil and not another. This would be objectionable if they would approve only a few oils, but with the lists being several pages long I just dont see the point. That is unless you have a financial interest in a particular brand that for some reason has not been approved.

Wolfgang

R1100RS 1994 Teal SOLD
R1150RT 2003 Blue (Sold)
R1100RT 1997 Blue

Pest, Budapest Hungary

Mark Twain

post #16 of 39 Old Feb 3rd, 2008, 9:51 am

Many oil companies have decided it is not worth paying a large fee to be placed on every single automobile manufacturers approved list for all of their year/make/model cars. But if they state they meet the spec, they do, and are responsible should any damages occur from the use of their oil. The list is just a nice source of free revenue for certain automotive manufacturers to collect free money from the oil companies (and thus us consumers). And it might be required in Serbia and Germany, but not the USA and Canada. We are fortunate to have very strong Consumer Protection laws here to guard us against such tactics.

Once your warranty has expired, I think it makes sense to choose an oil that provides its own written parts and labor warranty, should the oil fail.
post #17 of 39 Old Feb 3rd, 2008, 10:05 am Thread Starter

Quote:
The list is just a nice source of free revenue for certain automotive manufacturers to collect free money from the oil companies (and thus us consumers).
This would be illegal in most place, unless cleary disclosed.(i.e Promotional consideration given...) Are you sure you can back this claim up with facts?

Wolfgang

R1100RS 1994 Teal SOLD
R1150RT 2003 Blue (Sold)
R1100RT 1997 Blue

Pest, Budapest Hungary

Mark Twain

post #18 of 39 Old Feb 3rd, 2008, 10:23 am

Wolfgang,

I will forward your question to ******, who can give you a more complete explanation than I can.

Last edited by Randy; Feb 5th, 2008 at 1:18 pm.
post #19 of 39 Old Feb 3rd, 2008, 10:35 am Thread Starter

If YOU make a public statement YOU should be able to back it up. Specially if it involves a potentially illegal activity.

Wolfgang

R1100RS 1994 Teal SOLD
R1150RT 2003 Blue (Sold)
R1100RT 1997 Blue

Pest, Budapest Hungary

Mark Twain

post #20 of 39 Old Feb 3rd, 2008, 11:53 am

I hardly think it is illegal. API does the same thing. I'm simply asking Amsoil for the best possible answer. YOU are the one that said that would be illegal. Can YOU back YOUR claim up with facts?

So who do YOU think pays for the analyses and paper work to get on an approved manufacturers list? I still think it is ultimately the consumer. Money for nothing is how I see it.

Last edited by TimVipond; Feb 3rd, 2008 at 12:02 pm.
post #21 of 39 Old Feb 3rd, 2008, 12:01 pm
Cat Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgang
If YOU make a public statement YOU should be able to back it up. Specially if it involves a potentially illegal activity.
Wrong. Not *SHOULD* . HAVE TO! Well unless you like to be in the line of (possibly legal) fire.

Yes, a certifaction can cost money, to cover the costs of the certification. And I imagine those costs to be at some thousend $$, maybe some 10's of thousends of $$. Nonetheless, if a company tries to sell themselves as *THE* best, or even 'only' and one of the best one would imagine they can spring for said certification to proove their oils 'play by the rules' and keep what they promise. If they cannot do that, or are not willing to do that all the claims about being better are worth as much as a puff of steam. Poof! Gone!

Not willing to proove their quality kind of smells like AMWAY to me.
post #22 of 39 Old Feb 3rd, 2008, 12:21 pm

I disagree. Why would a company that has been in business a long time say they meet the specs if they don't? Should be very easy to prove that they don't. Sounds like easy money to an ambulance chaser to me. Sounds like they would be out of business in short order. It is because they meet the specs. Other major oil companies do the same thing. Why should we the consumer have to pay the vehicle manufacturer to have every oil certified in every engine. The oil companies say they already meet the spec, and I've not seen any problems yet. Have you?

Amsoil has proven their quality every day for 35 years. What other company has the volume of technical information, uses ASTM independent laboratory testing and comparison with other products by name, readily available to the public on the internet? They purchase high quality chemicals from Exxon Chemical, Lubrizol and others. They are ISO 9001:2000 certified. They have a perfect warranty record. Who has a better record with the Better Business Bureau? Compare their Amsoil Corporate record with say, a little business like Mercedes Benz of Houston North. Look them up at www.bbb.org .One has a satisfactory record, the other has an unsatisfactory record. Care to guess who is who? Talk about quality!

Last edited by TimVipond; Feb 3rd, 2008 at 12:48 pm.
post #23 of 39 Old Feb 3rd, 2008, 1:01 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by amarider
Is there some reason you can not keep this off the rest of the site and on your own Vendor Forum?
Yes, people keep asking me questions that deserve to be answered.
post #24 of 39 Old Feb 3rd, 2008, 1:11 pm

You answered the question in the first paragraph of your answer here -
"I disagree. Why would a company that has been in business a long time say they meet the specs if they don't? Should be very easy to prove that they don't. Sounds like easy money to an ambulance chaser to me. Sounds like they would be out of business in short order. It is because they meet the specs. Other major oil companies do the same thing. Why should we the consumer have to pay the vehicle manufacturer to have every oil certified in every engine. The oil companies say they already meet the spec, and I've not seen any problems yet. Have you?"

The second half looked much like a promo for Amsoil. If that was not your intention maybe you should reread your posts outside of your Vendor forum.

John & Cathy
Northern CA
01 K1200LTC Basalt - Moose

Posse #2

If you don't know where you're going, you might end up somewhere else
post #25 of 39 Old Feb 3rd, 2008, 1:21 pm

The second half was in response to "Not willing to proove their quality kind of smells like AMWAY to me." Maybe you missed that part. He seemed unaware of Amsoils quality programs. I tried to be as brief and to the point as possible. Anyone can go to the Amsoil Corporate website for more detail.
post #26 of 39 Old Feb 3rd, 2008, 1:33 pm

I didn't see where Amsoil was specified but I can see how one could take it that way. But it would be nice if we could keep spam off of the forums and when you reply with Amsoil content as much as you do it does come off as spam.
I'm not trying to start an argument, it just an observation.

Thanks

John & Cathy
Northern CA
01 K1200LTC Basalt - Moose

Posse #2

If you don't know where you're going, you might end up somewhere else
post #27 of 39 Old Feb 3rd, 2008, 2:00 pm

Thanks John. I try to keep the Amsoil information on the Amsoil forum. But when I see misinformation outside that forum, I like to set the record straight. Or at least have some good discussions if there is no right or wrong answer. I think sheep mentality, wives tales, and to do things like we've always done them, thrive on forums and it is good to shake things up a bit and provide information and generate new ideas. We might still be running straight weight non detergent oils and no filters in our Indians and Harley - Davidsons if we don't push for something better.

I would like to see more politeness in these forums.

Last edited by TimVipond; Feb 3rd, 2008 at 2:07 pm.
post #28 of 39 Old Feb 3rd, 2008, 4:01 pm
Cat Herder

Quote:
I disagree. Why would a company that has been in business a long time say they meet the specs if they don't? Should be very easy to prove that they don't.
You are missing the point. It is not up to someone to proove that they don't. It is up to whichever company to proove that they DO conform to set standards. Otherwise we are getting into a religious discussion where something is said to be prooven because you can't proove the non-existance.

Quote:
Sounds like easy money to an ambulance chaser to me. Sounds like they would be out of business in short order. It is because they meet the specs. Other major oil companies do the same thing. Why should we the consumer have to pay the vehicle manufacturer to have every oil certified in every engine. The oil companies say they already meet the spec, and I've not seen any problems yet. Have you?
It is not important who has seen problems or not. That was not the question, you are missing the point again.

YOU stated : Many oil companies have decided it is not worth paying a large fee to be placed on every single automobile manufacturers approved list for all of their year/make/model cars.

THAT is what this discussion was about. The problem in your post was the word 'fee' and that you implied the car/motorcycle companies would charge big amounts of money to get on an approcved list and that they do nothing in return.

Yes, they charge money, but the fact is that this money is to proove the that whatever the company states really holds true. Without that proove it;s just that: An unprooven statement.
Quote:
XXXX has proven their quality every day for 35 years. What other company has the volume of technical information, uses ASTM independent laboratory testing and comparison with other products by name, readily available to the public on the internet? They purchase high quality chemicals from XXX, XXX, XXX and others. They are ISO 9001:2000 certified.
Again, you are missing the point. See above. And again you are touting one company's products. I'm telling you now in public: STOP. Try to post without answering to oil specific threads. You've got your own forum. You can tootle all you want in your forum. I am the one getting 50 complaints (literally!) every time you tootle SnakeOil's products and specs, and what not else outside your forum again, and again, and again.

Now lastly: You you *KNOW* what it means to be ISO 9000/9001 certified? Do you REALLY know what that entails? Do you REALLY know what this means to a consumer, other than a neat selling pont? I was one of the spearheads in one companies ISO cert. I *KNOW*. Quite frankly: It means jack shit. VERY SIMPLIFIED The ISO certification means that you know which steps to take when something happens. And the ISO certification means that you have prooven to the auditor that you have written down these steps and communicated to your employees. AND that those steps are being followed. VERY SIMPLIED and over the board simplistic you get get a certification for:

So there you have it. that is an ISO 9000/9001 cert and the value of it to the customer. An ISO cert has value to the business itself because they know that their employees know what to do when "somethign" happens.

Last edited by Amsoil1; Feb 3rd, 2008 at 9:55 pm. Reason: Profanity
post #29 of 39 Old Feb 3rd, 2008, 4:38 pm

Anyone who would like to discuss lubricants in a friendly and cordial manner are invited to participate here. All non friendly and non cordial oil discussions can take place over in the members forum. It would seem that name calling, screaming, and profanity filled discussions can continue to take place there.

Last edited by Amsoil1; Feb 3rd, 2008 at 9:58 pm.
post #30 of 39 Old Feb 3rd, 2008, 5:23 pm Thread Starter

ISO 9000/9001 certified:

I have taken a company from the first presentation about ISO 9000 to the final certification. It is strictly about process and process consistency. In theory you can be ISO certified and produce the most inferior product in its field. But it will have the exact same inferior qualities day in and day out.

Factory approval:

I will find out next week if oil companies now pay car makers to be approved. The carmaker I worked for for many years did not charge for approval on lubricants and tires. (the only products they approved) This may not be like this with other companies and it it may have changed. But I seriously doubt it.

And finally one question has not been answered:

Does ANY car, bike, stationary engine, lawn mower, ATV, weed eater, truck, generator, model airplane engine maker approves your product by name?

To make it even easier to answer: Is it listed side by side with Pennzoil, Mobil, Castrol, and whatever that oil from Serbia, and the one from Turkey are called?

I have now looked at the recommendations from Caterpillar for the C7 engine in my motor home, Kubota for the generator in it, Mercury for the Vortec engines in my boat, and Kohler for the Generator in it. All kinds of listings, but not your product. Must be a conspiracy.

If you can list even a few reputable companies that specifically approve or recommend your product, the credibility of your companies claims will greatly improve.

Until than, to me your company is in the same league as Amway, Herbalife, and other pyramid selling organizations.

Wolfgang

R1100RS 1994 Teal SOLD
R1150RT 2003 Blue (Sold)
R1100RT 1997 Blue

Pest, Budapest Hungary

Mark Twain

Last edited by DaveDragon; Feb 5th, 2008 at 12:59 pm.
post #31 of 39 Old Feb 4th, 2008, 6:02 pm Thread Starter

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/am$oil

Wolfgang

R1100RS 1994 Teal SOLD
R1150RT 2003 Blue (Sold)
R1100RT 1997 Blue

Pest, Budapest Hungary

Mark Twain

Last edited by Randy; Feb 5th, 2008 at 1:35 pm.
post #32 of 39 Old Feb 4th, 2008, 6:34 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgang
. . . . . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
****** products have not been tested or approved by the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE), the accepted industry standard for automotive oils.

• 2005 LT - 17 countries, 2 CONTINENTS & counting !
  • MB SLK 350 MT
  • 1974 Triumph Bonneville 750

Last edited by Randy; Feb 5th, 2008 at 1:37 pm.
post #33 of 39 Old Feb 5th, 2008, 6:37 am

Originally Posted by Wikipedia
****** products have not been tested or approved by the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE), the accepted industry standard for automotive oils.

Hmmm...No refererence, not true, placed on Wikipedia minutes before posting. Looks like a desperate move by a desperate person to bash an excellent company that makes excellent products.

Last edited by DaveDragon; Feb 5th, 2008 at 12:58 pm.
post #34 of 39 Old Feb 5th, 2008, 7:40 am

I also noticed an earlier post I made is now missing.

Basically the Audi Volkswagen list that Wolfgang posted is out of date and obsolete. This is the current one for North America. http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...074228&fpart=1 . If you compare the two for the Volkswagen 505.01 you will notice that in North America only Elf, Castrol, Motul, and Total are listed. Quaker State, Shell, Sun Oil, Texaco, and Valvoline have dropped off the list. I guess they no longer deemed it necessary to pay the money. They along with ****** do recommend some of their products for that spec.

Last edited by DaveDragon; Feb 5th, 2008 at 11:24 am.
post #35 of 39 Old Feb 5th, 2008, 9:02 am Thread Starter

The VW/ AUDI list you referenced is identified as "abreviated" The full list for 2008 is at the end of this post. I noticed that the Russians and Chinese made the list.

How are these lists arrived at? I have some inside knowledge that would not be appropiate to post, but Detroit Diesel explains it in plain english as part of their approved oil list. From that you can deduct how much it costs to be on the list if you have all the appropiate documentation to submit:

Detroit Diesel Power Guard 93K218 Approved Oils List
for Series 50, Series 60, MBE 900, MBE 4000 and DD15 Engines

DISCLAIMER: Product registration means the manufacturer or marketer has faithfully collected information pertinent to the requirements of the specification and with the full intention to conform to the specification. However, it is still the responsibility of the manufacturer or marketer to ensure satisfactory performance of its products in all aspects at all times. Registration for Detroit Diesel Power Guard Oil Specification 93K218 does not waive the liability of the manufacturer or the marketer. Detroit Diesel does not warrant the performance of non-Detroit Diesel products, registered or not.
(AMSOIL is not on the Detroit Diesel list)

Here is the most recent full list for VW/AUDI:

Engine Oils Which Meet Volkswagen Oil Quality Standards VW 502 00, VW 505 01 and VW 504 00/507 00
17 07 14 Oct. 12, 2007 2012855 Supersedes T. B. Group 17 number 06-01 dated Sept. 12, 2006 due to updating
of Oil Quality Standard list and addition of 2008 model year.
VW 502 00
Addinol Addinol Extra Power MV 0538 LE SAE 5W-30
Addinol Addinol Super light MV0546 SAE 5W-40
Addinol High Star SAE 5W-40
Addinol Addinol Eco Light SAE 5W-40
Adnoc Adnoc Image SAE 5W-30
Adnoc Adnoc Image SAE 5W-40
Agip Agip Sint Evolution SAE 5W-40
Agip Agip Sint Turbodiesel SAE 5W-40
Agip Agip Synthetic PC SAE 5W-40
Agip Agip Tecsint SL SAE 5W-40
Agip Agip Extra HTS SAE 5W-40
AnYe Lubricating Oil AnYe 1 SAE 5W-40
Aral Aral SuperTronic Diesel SAE 0W-40
Avia Avia Synth SAE 5W-40
Beijing Tongyi
Petroleum Xin Gai Nian SAE 5W-40
BP BP Visco 5000 SAE 5W-40
BP BP Visco 7000 Sport SAE 5W-40
BP BP Visco 7000 TD SAE 5W-40
BP BP Visco 7000 TD Sport SAE 5W-40
BP Meister-Öl Leichtlauf-Motorenöl SAE 5W-40
BP BP Professional EURO Plus SAE 5W-40
BP BP EuroSpirit SAE 5W-40
Bucher AG MOTOREX Select SP-X SAE 5W/30 SAE 5W-30
Bucher AG MOTOREX PROFILE V-XL SAE 5W/40 SAE 5W-40
Carl Bechem Hessol ADT Plus SAE 5W-40
Carl Bechem Staroil Synergie Alpha SAE 5W-40
Castrol Adamol Multitop PDI SAE 5W-40
Castrol Castrol 505 01 SAE 5W-40
Castrol Castrol Edge Turbo Diesel SAE 5W-40
Castrol Castrol Formula RS Road and Track SAE 5W-40
Castrol Castrol GTD 505 01 Top Up SAE 5W-40
Castrol Castrol GTD Direct Injection SAE 5W-40
Castrol Castrol GTX 5 SAE 5W-40
Castrol Castrol GTX 7 Dynatec Neu SAE 5W-40
Castrol Castrol TXT 505 01 SAE 5W-40
Castrol Castrol TXT Softec Plus SL SAE 5W-30
Castrol Castrol GTX Magnatec 5W-40 SAE 5W-30
Castrol Castrol GTX 9 Magnatec SAE 5W-30
Castrol Castrol GTX Magnatec 5W-30 SAE 5W-30
Castrol Castrol GTD Magnatec 5W-40 SAE 5W-30
Castrol Castrol SLX Professional SAE 5W-30
Castrol Castrol Magnatec Professional C3 SAE 5W-40
Castrol Castrol Edge SAE 5W-40
Castrol Castrol Magnatec Professional C3 SAE 5W-30
Castrol Castrol Magnatec Diesel B4 SAE 5W-40
Castrol Castrol Edge SAE 5W-40
Castrol Castrol SLX Professional Diesel SAE 5W-30
Castrol Castrol Magnatec C3 SAE 5W-40
Castrol Castrol Magnatec C3 SAE 5W-30
Castrol Castrol Magnatec Professional C3 SAE 5W-40
Castrol Castrol Magnatec Professional C3 SAE 5W-30
Castrol Castrol SLX Professional SAE 5W-40
Castrol Castrol GTX Magnatec SAE 5W-30
Castrol Castrol GTX Magnatec C3 SAE 5W-30
Castrol Castrol SLX Professional OE SAE 5W-30
Castrol Castrol Magnatec Professional SAE 5W-40
CastrolCastrol GTX 7 Dynatec SAE 5W-40
CastrolCastrol Syntec SAE 5W-40
CastrolCastrol Edge Formula RSSAE 0W-40
CastrolCastrol Magnatec A3/B4 SAE 5W-40
Cepsa Cepsa Star Mega SyntheticSAE 5W-40
Cepsa Cepsa Star TDI Synt SAE 5W-40
Chevron Havoline Ultra SSAE 5W-40
Chevron Havoline Ultra SSAE 5W-30
Cyclon Hellas Cyclon F1 Racing SAE 5W-40
De Oliebron TOR Specialsynth SAE 5W-40
Dongying Xinyi Xin Yi 1 SAE 5W-40
Duckhams Duckhams QS SAE 5W-40
Duckhams Duckhams QS Premium MO SAE 5W-40
Elf Elf Excellium DID SAE 5W-40
Engen Petroleum Engen Xtreme SAE 5W-40
Enoc Protec X-treme SAE 5W-40
Esso Esso Ultron SAE 5W-40
Esso Esso Ultron SL SAE 5W-40
Esso Esso Ultron Turbo Diesel SAE 5W-40
Esso Motor Oil Plus SAE 5W-40
Esso Megatron SAE 5W-40
Esso Tecar Supersyn SAE 5W-40
Esso Tecar Leichtlaufmotorenoel SAE 5W-40
Eurol Eurol Super Lite 5W-40 SL/CF SAE 5W-40
Eurol Eurol Turbo DI SAE 5W-40
FL Selenia Selenia Diesel Common Rail Generation SAE 5W-40
FL Selenia Selenia Benzina Multi Valves Generation SAE 5W-40
FL Selenia Aktual Fully Synth SAE 5W-40
FL Selenia Selenia K SAE 5W-40
FL Selenia Selenia WRSAE 5W-40
Fuchs Fuchs TITAN SupersynSAE 5W-30
Fuchs Fuchs TITAN SupersynSAE 5W-40
Fuchs TITAN Formel MC SAE 5W-40
Fuchs TITAN Supersyn LONGLIFE SAE 5W-30
Galp energia Galp Energy Plus SAE 5W-40
Galp energia Galp Energy SP SAE 5W-40
Galp energia Galp Energy Ultra LS SAE 5W-40
Galp energia Galp Formula 1 Plus SAE 5W-40
Galp energia Galp Formula 505 SAE 5W-40
Galp energia Galp Formula TD Plus SAE 5W-40
Galp energia Galp Formula XLD SAE 5W-40
GinouvesYork 848 SAE 5W-40
Gulf Gulf Formula GX SAE 5W-30
Gulf Oil Gulf Formula G SAE 5W-30
Gulf Oil Gulf Formula G SAE 5W-40
Hunold Eurolub Cleantec SAE 5W-30
Igol Igol Symbol Ceramic SAE 5W-40
Igol Process Compact M SAE 5W-30
INA INA Futura MB SAE 5W-30
Iranol Iranol 30,000 SAE 5W-40
Kendall Motor Oil Kendall GT-1 Full Synthetic Motor Oil SAE 5W-40
Kuttenkeuler Motorenöl S-Tronic SAE 5W-40
Kuwait Petroleum Q8 Formula Excel SAE 5W-40
Liqui Moly Liqui Moly TopTec 4100 SAE 5W-40
Liqui MolyLiqui Moly Pro-Engine M 300 SAE 5W-30
Liqui MolyLiqui Moly Leichtlauf Special LL SAE 5W-30
Longpan Petrochemical Sonic 9000 SAE 5W-40
Lotos Lotos Economic SAE 5W-30
Lotos Lotos Syntetic SL/SJ/CF/CD SAE 5W-40
Lotos Lotos Traffic SAE 5W-40
Lotos Lotos Traffic Turbodiesel CF SAE 5W-40
Lotos Lotos Economic SL/CF SAE 5W-30
Lotos Lotos Traffic Thermal Control SL/CF SAE 5W-40
Lotos Lotos Traffic Diesel 505.01 SAE 5W-40
Lukoil Lukoil-Synthetic SAE 5W-40
Meguin Motorenoel Low Emission SAE 5W-40
Meguin Motorenoel Ultra Performance Longlife SAE 5W-40
Meguin Olympia Pro-Tech Fully Synthetic Engine Oil SAE 5W-40
Meguin megol Motorenoil Quality SAE 5W-30
Meguin megol Motorenoel Ultra Performance Longlife SAE 5W-40
Mobil Mobil Special X SAE 5W-40
Mobil Mobil Syst S ESP SAE 5W-30
Mobil Mobil 1 SAE 5W-40
Mobil Mobil Synt S SAE 5W-40
Mobil Mobil 1 SAE 0W-40
MobilMobil 1 Turbo Diesel SAE 0W-40
MobilMobil 1 Turbo Diesel SAE 5W-40
MobilMobil 1 Arctic SAE 0W-40
MobilMobil Synt S Turbo DieselSAE 5W-40
MobilTecar 50501SAE 5W-30
MobilMobil Special X SAE 5W-40
MobilMobil 1 Formula C SAE 0W-40
MOL MOL Dynamic Gold SAE 5W-30
Motul Motul 8100 X-cess SAE 5W-40
Motul Motul H-Tech Multi Standard SAE 5W-40
Motul Motul Specific 505 01 SAE 5W-40
Motul Motul Synergie SAE 5W-40
Motul Motul 8100 X-clean SAE 5W-40
Motul Motul 8100 X-max SAE 5W-30
MRD Motor Gold Supertec SAE 5W-40
Neste Oil Neste City ProSAE 5W-40
Nocc Valar Gema XLL 053 SAE 5W-30
Northland Synergy Synthetic EuroSyn SAE 5W-40
Oest Oest ETA Synthetik SAE 5W-40
Ölwerke Julius
Schindler Econo Veritas XL-HC SAE 5W-40
Ölwerke Julius
Schindler OJS Econo-Veritas XL-HC SAE 5W-40
Ölwerke Julius
Schindler OJS Engine Oil SAE 5W-40
OMV OMV BIXXOL special G SAE 5W-30
OMV OMV syn com SAE 5W-40
OMV OMV BIXXOL premium SAE 5W-40
OMV OMV BIXXOL premium Diesel SAE 5W-40
OMV OMV BIXXOL extra SAE 5W-40
Orlen Oil Plantinum Synthetic SM/SL/CF SAE 5W-40
Orlen Oil PLATINUM MAXENERGY EURO4 SAE 5W-30
Orlen Oil Star Synt SAE 5W-40
Panolin Panolin Indy SV SAE 5W-40
Paramo Mogul Racing Pro SAE 5W-40
Pennzoil Pennzoil Platinum European Formula SAE 5W-40
Pennzoil Pennzoil Platinum European Formula Ultra SAE 5W-30
Pennzoil Pennzoil Synthetic European Formula SAE 5W-40
Pennzoil Pennzoil Platinum European Ultra Diesel SAE 5W-30
Pentosin Pento High PerformanceSAE 5W-40
Petro China Kunlun HTPC SAE 5W-40
Petro China KUNLUN Tianrun SAE 5W-40
Petrol Ofisi PO Maxima SAE 5W-40
Petrol Ofisi PO Maxima Diesel SAE 5W-40
Petronas Petronas Syntium 3000 SAE 5W-40
Petronas Petronas Syntium 3000 LL SAE 5W-30
Poweroil High-Tech-
Schmierstoffe High-Tech-Schmierstoffe vollsynth. SAE 0W-40
Prista Oil Prista Ultra SAE 5W-40
Profi-Tech Profi-Car Synth Tech XT SAE 5W-40
Quaker State Q European EngineSAE 5W-40
Quaker State Q European Engine Ultra SAE 5W-30
Quaker State Quaker State Full Synthetic European Formula SAE 5W-40
Quantum Quantum PD Diesel SAE 5W-40
Rafinerija Modrica Galax RacingSAE 5W-40
Ravensberger
Schmierstoffvertrieb Ravenol VSI SAE 5W-40
Ravensberger
Schmierstoffvertrieb Ravenol Hydrocrack Synth. HCS SAE 5W-40
Repsol Repsol Elaion Full Performance SM SAE 5W-40
Repsol Repsol Elite Cosmos SAE 0W-40
Repsol Repsol Elite Evolution SAE 5W-40
Repsol Repsol Elite Competicion SAE 5W-40
Rothen Oil Rothen Extrasynth SAE 5W-30
Rowe Rowe Synt PD SAE 5W-40
SCT Mannol Extreme SAE 5W-40
Seventy-Six Lubricants76 Pure Synthetic Motor Oil SAE 5W-40
Shanghai Tempo Tempo 8000-1A SAE 5W-40
Shell Formula Shell Ultra AB SAE 5W-30
Shell Shell Helix Diesel Plus SAE 5W-30
Shell Shell Helix Diesel Plus SAE 5W-40
Shell Shell Helix Plus S SAE 5W-30
Shell Shell Helix Plus S SAE 5W-40
Shell Shell Helix Premium SAE 5W-40
Shell Shell Helix Diesel Plus VA SAE 5W-40
Shell Q Diesel Plus SAE 5W-40
Shell Shell Helix DieselUltra SAE 5W-30
Shell Shell Helix Ultra SAE 0W-40
Shell Shell Helix Diesel Ultra SAE 5W-40
Shell Shell Helix Diesel Ultra SAE 0W-40
Shell Shell Helix Ultec SAE 0W-40
Shell Shell Helix Ultra SAE 5W-30
Shell Shell Helix Ultra SAE 5W-40
Shell Shell Helix Diesel Ultra SAE 5W-30
Shell PKW Motorenöl SAE 5W-40
Shell Shell Helix PlusSAE 5W-30
Shell Shell Helix Plus SAE 5W-40
Shell Vapsoil 502 00 SAE 5W-40
Shell Shell Helix Plus S SAE 5W-40
Shell Shell Helix Ultra AM SAE 5W-30
Shell Shell Helix Diesel Ultra SAE 5W-40
Shell Shell Helix Ultra AM SAE 5W-40
Shell Vapsoil 503 01 SAE 5W-30
Shell Shell Helix Diesel Ultra VA SAE 5W-30
Shell Shell Helix Ultra AX SAE 5W-30
Shell Q European Engine Ultra Diesel SAE 5W-30
Shell Shell Helix Plus SM SAE 5W-40
Shell Shell Helix Plus SM SAE 5W-30
Sinopec Polar Star SAE 5W-40
Sinopec Polar Star II SAE 5W-40
Slovnaft Madit Ultra SAE 5W-30
S-Oil Corporation SSU EURO XT SAE 5W-40
S-Oil Corporation SSU EURO XT SAE 5W-30
Sonol Sonol Synt 502.00 SAE 5W-40
SRS Schmierstoff
Vertrieb Wintershall VIVA 1 longlife SAE 5W-30
SRS Schmierstoff
VertriebWintershall Primalub topsynth SAE 5W-40
SRS Schmierstoff
VertriebWintershall ViVA 1 topsynth SAE 5W-40
SRS Schmierstoff
VertriebWintershall ViVA 1 topsynth alpha LA SAE 5W-30
Statoil Statoil LazerWay SAE 5W-40
Statoil Statoil LazerWay C SAE 5W-40
Statoil Statoil Pro Synthetic SAE 5W-40
Statoil Statoil LazerWay TDI SAE 5W-40
Statoil Statoil PRO Synthetic SAE 5W-40
SWD Concep-Tech HDC SAE 5W-40
SWD swd Primus HDC SAE 5W-40
SWD GECCO Motorenöl HC SAE 5W-40
TACTI Corporation CASTLE EUARO 502 SAE 5W-40
TACTI Corporation Castle Euaro 502 SAE 5W-40
Tamoil Tamoil SINT FUTURE RACING SAE 5W-40
Texaco Havoline Ultra SAE 5W-40
TNK Lubricant LLC TNK Ultra SAE 5W-40
TNK Lubricant LLC TNK Magnum SyntheticSAE 5W-40
Unil Opal Opaljet 24 S SAE 5W-40
United Oil United 1 Fully Synthetic SAE 5W-40
Valvoline Valvoline SynPower MXL SAE 5W-30
Valvoline Valvoline DuraBlend MXLSAE 5W-40
Valvoline Synpower MST SAE 5W-30
VAPS VAPSOIL 505 01 SAE 5W-40
Vial Oil Consol Ultima SAE 5W-40
Volkswagen Mexico Audi, Seat, VW Aceite para Motor a Gasoline VW 502
00 100% Sintético SAE 5W-40
Volkswagen Original
Teile ® Volkswagen Special plus SAE 5W-40
Weco Weco TXI Syntolube SAE 5W-40
Westfalen AG Westfalen Megatron SAE 5W-40
Wolf Wolf Masterlube Synflow DC SAE 5W-40
Yacco Yacco VX 1000 SAE 5W-40
Yacco Yacco VX 600SAE 5W-40
Yacco Yacco VX 1703 FAP SAE 5W-40
YPF YPF Elaion Full Performance SM SAE 5W-40
Zeller+Gmelin Divinol Syntholight SAE 5W-40
Zeller+Gmelin Divinol Syntholight SAE 0W-40

Wolfgang

R1100RS 1994 Teal SOLD
R1150RT 2003 Blue (Sold)
R1100RT 1997 Blue

Pest, Budapest Hungary

Mark Twain

post #36 of 39 Old Feb 5th, 2008, 10:57 am

My list of 4 companies is the current ones available in North America for VW505.01. Good luck finding those others here.

Perhaps you need to reread my previous post:

This is the current one for North America. http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forum...1074228&fpart=1 . If you compare the two for the Volkswagen 505.01 you will notice that in North America only Elf, Castrol, Motul, and Total are listed. Quaker State, Shell, Sun Oil, Texaco, and Valvoline have dropped off the list. I guess they no longer deemed it necessary to pay the money and file the paperwork. They along with ****** do recommend some of their products for that spec.

Last edited by DaveDragon; Feb 5th, 2008 at 11:24 am.
post #37 of 39 Old Feb 5th, 2008, 11:12 am

Edited. Again.

I've always used Valvoline 20W50 oil in all my vehicles and have never, ever, never experienced a problem with a lubricated part. Not that I've been driving things that required motor oil very long. Bout 38 years.

And I run Mobil 1 in the bike. All over.

Who really cares what the manu wants, beyond the warranty.
You gonna use crappy oil in your MB? I don't think so.
I'll use what works for me. My Ford Focus Wagon that I use for work has 139K on it and still runs just fine. Doesn't use a drop of oil.

There you go. A totally unsolicited opinion.

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

Last edited by JPSpen; Feb 5th, 2008 at 11:17 am.
post #38 of 39 Old Feb 5th, 2008, 11:37 am

Wink

On your car? That'll make a mess.

Did you mean in your car? As in the engine?

B D R
post #39 of 39 Old Feb 5th, 2008, 1:20 pm Thread Starter

I noticed that shortly after I posted it. I am surprised that you are the first one to catch it. And if one would use it on the car that would be a whole different set of specs...

Wolfgang

R1100RS 1994 Teal SOLD
R1150RT 2003 Blue (Sold)
R1100RT 1997 Blue

Pest, Budapest Hungary

Mark Twain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in