A Snowball in Hell - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Feb 1st, 2008, 8:55 am Thread Starter

A Snowball in Hell

This is a picture of Roxanne on the way home from Baton Rouge the last time we rode the motorcycle down from N. Arkansas to Jim's for the Saint Patrick's Day Pig Roast.

Here's how it works:

First, on planning the trip down to Baton Rouge, the sun always shines, warm and welcoming as any invitation of Jim's. "Sure, ride the bike, it'll be fun! Weather's going to be perfect!"

So you ride down and have a lot of fun. See some friends you haven't seen in awhile. You drink too much, eat too much of Mike's incredible grilling (mmm, that is reason enough to go to the party, even if you don't particularly like Jim), and you solve many of the world's problems, that usually happens at what, 2 or 3 o'clock in the morning, I think.

The time to go home finally arrives. On these Sunday mornings, you don't usually recognize the sleep-deprivational burnout, for it is covered up by an exotic wine, beer and whiskey hangover. Sometimes a little goldschlager thrown in for color. Two pots of coffee doesn't help much, except to disguise the taste of whatever is making vile threats and promises at the back of your throat. Still, you have to go home, there's no way around it. Jim says he does not want or need another son. You look at the bike, pretty sure you can handle the throttle, brake, maybe even the clutch. Hopefully, the huge machine will not have any external balancing requirements.

Minutes before it is time to start for home, surprise! The temperature takes a nose dive, shucking between 35 and 50 degrees in a matter of minutes. Records are shattered on these Sunday mornings, making you feel really special. The TV announcer makes it clear that this unexpected cold front coming in from the north will last several days. Furthermore, should you decide to wait until tomorrow to leave, it will be accompanied by fierce rain and possibly hail. There's nothing to do but bundle up (assuming you've brought enough clothes) and head for home.

Is that...frost..on the windshield? No way, man. This is Baton Rouge in March.

And that's how it was the last time Roxanne and I rode the bike down to Jim's for St. Paddy's Day. On the way home, about a hundred miles north of Baton Rouge, we stopped for gas and coffee and I snapped this picture of Roxanne. The picture is named snowball.jpg. Perhaps I thought that was funny. Is she smiling?

While Roxanne went in to order coffee and cocoa, I pumped gas into the bike. As I entered the little anteroom leading into the restaurant, there was a black cook in a dirty apron standing in the hall with one of the waitresses. He was laughing so hard, he was actually doubled over. When he saw me, he almost choked, I though he was going to fall down. Pointing at me and gasping for breath, he finally got it out, "Oh no...h.. h.. here comes the other one!"

Apparently when he'd seen Roxanne come in from the cold looking like this (see pic) he'd had to physically leave the restaurant to have his uncontrollable laughing fit, dragging the waitress along either to share the moment or administer CPR, I'm not sure.

I've probably told this story before, but I ran across this picture, and felt like telling it again.

G'morning, everyone.

T.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	snowball.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	107.7 KB
ID:	16373  

The Bad Ted

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Feb 1st, 2008, 9:54 am

Great story.

An A + for having the right color BMWLT.
post #3 of 7 Old Feb 1st, 2008, 10:20 am
Lifetime Supporter

If it's "too cold" you can stop at the store, get some of the "green sheet" free newspapers and wrap them around your body, under clothing, for more "insulation"...

Good story... having grown up riding in "South Louisiana" (a whole other country), I can attest to the unexpected "weather changes"..

And the "cook".. well, hahah.. guess he sobered up, too.

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 7 Old Feb 1st, 2008, 12:30 pm

Hey Ted: Who is Jim? I live just a hop, skip and a jump from BRouge. Does Jim ride?

NOGILLS2

Booze Brother# 69
2003 K1200LTE "BEERBURNER" RIP 07/21/09
2006 Aluma Trailer "AFTERBURNER" SOLD
2007 ST1300ABS "Quicksilver"

post #5 of 7 Old Feb 5th, 2008, 5:04 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOGILLS2
Hey Ted: Who is Jim? I live just a hop, skip and a jump from BRouge. Does Jim ride?
Jim is my good friend and long distance riding buddy, we rode out west a couple years ago. He rides an FJR, (I know what the back of it looks like.) Good guy, teaches at LSU. He'd be glad to meet you, he says, email me at tedthompson at alltel dot net and I'll send you his email address.

T.

The Bad Ted

post #6 of 7 Old Feb 5th, 2008, 7:06 pm

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenixroyale
----------------------------------------You look at the bike, pretty sure you can handle the throttle, brake, maybe even the clutch. Hopefully, the huge machine will not have any external balancing requirements.----------------------------------------------

G'morning, everyone.

T.
That one bought tears to my eyes. Funny many you are Ted.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #7 of 7 Old Feb 8th, 2008, 8:27 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfell
If it's "too cold" you can stop at the store, get some of the "green sheet" free newspapers and wrap them around your body, under clothing, for more "insulation"... ....
And if you are in the UK, look out for a "chippy", these are fast food take aways that sell bags of chips (not skinny french fries) made of potatoes.
One bag for you to eat and one for down the jacket. Lasts an hour or 2 and then look out for the next chippy

"Whenever you find you are on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect" Mark Twain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in