Does speed kill or not. - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 Old Jan 24th, 2008, 4:19 pm Thread Starter

Does speed kill or not.

I am an AARP driver safety program instructor. We had an update today and received a Florida Supplement work book. On page K under the heading "Effect of speed on impact", I thougth about this fourm and some of the topics about speed. It continued with, Speed influences the risk of crashes and crash injuries in three basic ways.

1. It increases the distance a vehicle travels from the time a driver detects an emergency to the time the driver reacts.

2. It increases the distance needed to stop a vehicle once an emergency is preceived.

3. It increases the crash energy by the square of the speed. When impact speed increases from 40 to 60 mph (a 50 percent increase), the energy that needs to be managed increases by 125 percent.

So does speed kill or not??

John
Florida
2004 BMW R1150R Black
Contact me 4 motor training 1&1
Expert witness in motorcycle crash reconstruction (Contact me)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old Jan 24th, 2008, 5:05 pm

It's like spoons make people fat, or guns kill. I think it's wholy up to the operator of the vehicle if they kill themselves or not by being idjuts.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Grok
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 28 Old Jan 24th, 2008, 5:38 pm

Speed can be a factor, but most killings are from not paying attention while driving....
Making left turns, running stop signs or traffic lights, cause most deaths,,, speeding causes a relatively small percentage of accidents....

Would be willing to bet real money if law enforcement took a year and focused on people at intersections that turn in front of people, or don't use turn signal when turning, or focused on people pulling onto the road without stopping or looking..... or stop those who zoom around right turns at traffic lights that the deaths across the nation would drop allot......

There are lots of things that kill on the road,, speed just isn't real high up on the list,,,Just my opinion which has a high probability of being wrong.........Pete

post #4 of 28 Old Jan 24th, 2008, 5:41 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by petepeterson
Speed can be a factor, but most killings are from not paying attention while driving....
Making left turns, running stop signs or traffic lights, cause most deaths,,, speeding causes a relatively small percentage of accidents....

Would be willing to bet real money if law enforcement took a year and focused on people at intersections that turn in front of people, or don't use turn signal when turning, or focused on people pulling onto the road without stopping or looking..... or stop those who zoom around right turns at traffic lights.....

There are lots of things that kill on the road,, speed just isn't real high up on the list,,,Just my opinion which has a high probability of being wrong.........Pete

But if someone failed to yield your right of way, which one would be more likely to survive. A 35 mph impact or at 70 mph??????

John
Florida
2004 BMW R1150R Black
post #5 of 28 Old Jan 24th, 2008, 6:15 pm

The safest speed to ride at, is the same speed that most other vehicles are doing. If the relatively arbitrary number on the sign on the side of the road says "50 mph speed limit" and most folks are doing 70, then 70 is your safest speed.

And if someone failed to yield right of way to me, my safest speed at that moment would be 1 mph. So shall we make all the speed limits 1 mph?

- Bob

Cowboy Bob Menton

Greenville SC USA
'07 K1200GT, '83 R80S (nee '83 R80RT)
'86 Honda CH-250 scooter (original owner)
"You can never escape the FOG (Fast Old Guys)"
post #6 of 28 Old Jan 24th, 2008, 6:21 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob_menton
The safest speed to ride at, is the same speed that most other vehicles are doing. If the relatively arbitrary number on the sign on the side of the road says "50 mph speed limit" and most folks are doing 70, then 70 is your safest speed.

And if someone failed to yield right of way to me, my safest speed at that moment would be 1 mph. So shall we make all the speed limits 1 mph?

- Bob
Somebody failed to yield and I needed to brake hard, at which speed with reaction time would I be more able to reach the impact speed of 1 mph??? At a lower speed I would be more able to survive a crash.

John
Florida
2004 BMW R1150R Black
post #7 of 28 Old Jan 24th, 2008, 6:27 pm

Show me a LEO, and I'll show you a speeder! On duty ... and OFF duty. I have too many friends and relatives that are LEOs. They all have lead feet!!!

But really folks...

"Fast" is a relative term. As is "reaction time".

Besides...I think surviving my next crash is WAY over-rated! So there. I said it.
post #8 of 28 Old Jan 24th, 2008, 6:43 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob_menton

- Bob
Unless you're on a bike. I always go a bit (bit being relative) faster than traffic.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #9 of 28 Old Jan 24th, 2008, 10:22 pm

differential speed kills....

F

BMWMOA
12 GTL
post #10 of 28 Old Jan 25th, 2008, 12:01 am

Quote:

Would be willing to bet real money if law enforcement took a year and focused on people at intersections that turn in front of people, or don't use turn signal when turning, or focused on people pulling onto the road without stopping or looking..... or stop those who zoom around right turns at traffic lights that the deaths across the nation would drop allot......

It may not be the speed but the sudden stopping that kills! But, yes - Speed is the number one PCF (Primary Collision Factor) ..... Unsafe Speed for Conditions. Outnumbers all others.

Rich

07 R1200RT Bairitz Blue
06 K1200LT Storm Grey
06 HD Electra Glide Ultra Classic FLHTCUI
post #11 of 28 Old Jan 25th, 2008, 4:13 am

If I'm drifting along at 1mph and increase my speed by 100% to 2mph to a dawdle what is the increased likelihood that someone will be killed if I bump into them?

Speed does not kill. The inappropriate use of a speed higher than is safe for the prevailing situation will create conditions in which there may be an increased danger to life. Try putting that sentence into a catchy billboard phrase, though....
post #12 of 28 Old Jan 25th, 2008, 5:47 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots
It's like spoons make people fat, or guns kill. I think it's wholy up to the operator of the vehicle if they kill themselves or not by being idjuts.
Once again Grif took the words out of my mouth. But I must add that if some idiot pulls out in front of me the extra speed does increase my odds of injury or worse. But as a adult I am okay with that risk.

Brian Ley
WA State of mindless sheep
USA where everything is illegal
2007 K1200GT
2010 650GS
2000 k1200LT Sold but not forgotten
BMWOA 119892
post #13 of 28 Old Jan 25th, 2008, 4:47 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman587
But if someone failed to yield your right of way, which one would be more likely to survive. A 35 mph impact or at 70 mph??????

On a motorcycle at those speeds, God will decide whether or not you live....Pete
post #14 of 28 Old Jan 25th, 2008, 4:55 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDAWG
It may not be the speed but the sudden stopping that kills! But, yes - Speed is the number one PCF (Primary Collision Factor) ..... Unsafe Speed for Conditions. Outnumbers all others.

By your reasoning doing 26mph in a 25mph zone, then speed would be the factor for the accident.... Well it wouldn't be..........The primary cause would be the person not yielding........Speed would have no contributing factor in the accident.....Pete
post #15 of 28 Old Jan 25th, 2008, 5:16 pm

The inappropriate use of a speed Kills!

Ride/Drive to the conditions.

Rgds
Mike

"For those that know, no explanation is needed,
For those that don't, no explanation is possible."

2001 K12 LT Toscana Green AKA Baby Sh*t Green
Kawasaki EN500 - been sold on!
Hardtail Chopper ( Honda CB 500 engine) in a box still!
post #16 of 28 Old Jan 25th, 2008, 5:44 pm
Lifetime Supporter

inappropriate speed reduces your time to react

That's a mouthful, but it really depend what is happening around you and the amount of time it will take you to either act or react. If you are going too fast for conditions, then you must react and the excess speed will be a problem. If you are able to act, then it won't matter. My gut feeling is that if I am reacting, I'm going too fast and something unanticipated occurred. If I act, I'm in control and not going too fast. The faster you are going, the less time you have to act/react and higher speed can be uncomfortable.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #17 of 28 Old Jan 25th, 2008, 6:30 pm

The original Question was "So does speed kill or not??"

1. I think we can pretty much agree that speed alone does not kill. If it did, the Bonneville Salt Flats would most likely be littered with dead bodies.

2. I also believe we can agree that a crash is not caused by a single factor but is always the result of a combination of factors.

3. So the real question is, if your speeding and are involved in a crash are your odds of dying greater that if you were traveling at or below the posted speed limit? I'm pretty sure that most of us would agree that the answer would be YES. The sudden stop from 100 mph is gona do a lot more damage than one from 25 mph.

Seems pretty simple to me, but then of course I've been accused of being simple minded!! :~)

Lynn Keen
North East Florida
MSF #28271 Retired
'99 Canyon Red RETIRED AT 93,000 MI
'05 GRAPHITE METALLIC retired at 87,000 MI
'01 R1150 GS- totaled
'02 R1150 GS sold
'85 K100/EML sidecar sold
'11 R1200RT currently being enjoyed

post #18 of 28 Old Jan 25th, 2008, 6:33 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn_Keen

1. I think we can pretty much agree that speed alone does not kill. If it did, the Bonneville Salt Flats would most likely be littered with dead bodies.

2. I also believe we can agree that a crash is not caused by a single factor but is always the result of a combination of factors.

3. So the real question is, if your speeding and are involved in a crash are your odds of dying greater that if you were traveling at or below the posted speed limit? I'm pretty sure that most of us would agree that the answer would be YES. The sudden stop from 100 mph is gona do a lot more damage than one from 25 mph.

Seems pretty simple to me, but then of course I've been accused of being simple minded!! :~)

So to be simple we have speed limits.

John
Florida
2004 BMW R1150R Black
post #19 of 28 Old Jan 26th, 2008, 8:08 am

Yes you are

Quote:

simple-minded

I agree, but if you are "headed" for a crash I would rather hit them at a 100 BECAUSE before you die you would at least feel like you have been on thrill ride!

Brett
2003 K1200LTC SOLD
2013 K1600GTL SOLD
2018 K1600GA SOLD
2019 K1600GA Blue

North Georgia

2005 CCR-Tetons
2006 CCR-Braselton
2008 CCR-Midway
2009 CCR-Rapid City
2011 CCR-Boise
2012 CCR-Duluth
2014 CCR-Chattanooga
2015 CCR-Coeur d 'Alene

post #20 of 28 Old Jan 26th, 2008, 9:23 am

Quote:
By your reasoning doing 26mph in a 25mph zone, then speed would be the factor for the accident.... Well it wouldn't be..........The primary cause would be the person not yielding........Speed would have no contributing factor in the accident.....Pete
Pete
It's not my reasoning, its the facts. In your example it may be a right of way violation. I was not refering to all accidents being caused by speed, but, the majority of them are......its speed for the conditions present. A violation of the posted speed is not always the case. Check the facts on a state level or federal and you will find that to be the case.

Rich

07 R1200RT Bairitz Blue
06 K1200LT Storm Grey
06 HD Electra Glide Ultra Classic FLHTCUI
post #21 of 28 Old Jan 26th, 2008, 1:14 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDAWG
Pete
It's not my reasoning, its the facts. In your example it may be a right of way violation. I was not refering to all accidents being caused by speed, but, the majority of them are......its speed for the conditions present. A violation of the posted speed is not always the case. Check the facts on a state level or federal and you will find that to be the case.

Ok We shall agree to disagree,,, ""its speed for the conditions" means any movement could be considered speeding with regard to the accident.....Honest more people would be alive if law enforcement would stop with the revenue chasing with speeders and follow the causes of deadly accidents...............
post #22 of 28 Old Jan 27th, 2008, 7:43 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkpr1998
simple-minded

I agree, :
Now that was uncalled for. Didn't yor MOMA ever teach you to respect your elders?

Lynn Keen
North East Florida
MSF #28271 Retired
'99 Canyon Red RETIRED AT 93,000 MI
'05 GRAPHITE METALLIC retired at 87,000 MI
'01 R1150 GS- totaled
'02 R1150 GS sold
'85 K100/EML sidecar sold
'11 R1200RT currently being enjoyed

post #23 of 28 Old Jan 27th, 2008, 7:46 am Thread Starter

Quote:
On a motorcycle at those speeds, God will decide whether or not you live....Pete

I guess God spoke....................

http://www.local6.com/slideshow/news...48/detail.html

Was this speed or driver error that caused the crash??

John
Florida
2004 BMW R1150R Black
post #24 of 28 Old Jan 27th, 2008, 10:27 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
I guess God spoke....................
http://www.local6.com/slideshow/news...48/detail.html
They were on an airstrip... at 3:30 a.m. ... and fell 85' to the ground below?

I think lots of things contributed to 5 senseless deaths: speed, stupidity, and immaturity come to mind. If they had been going 5 mph and drove off the elevated airstrip the outcome MIGHT have been different.

Still, I see your point.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #25 of 28 Old Jan 27th, 2008, 11:32 am

Quote:

Whiskey bottle, brand new car, oak tree you're in my way....

Dave Hoogerland

'08 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
'02 K1200LTC "The Silver Snoopy" (gone but not forgotten)
'08 Can-Am Spyder "???"

post #26 of 28 Old Jan 27th, 2008, 3:36 pm

Quote:
Now that was uncalled for. Didn't yor MOMA ever teach you to respect your elders?
She did, but I have been out of the house for so long that I have reverted and have forgotten those "golden" rules!

CYA in a few months you old dog!

Brett
2003 K1200LTC SOLD
2013 K1600GTL SOLD
2018 K1600GA SOLD
2019 K1600GA Blue

North Georgia

2005 CCR-Tetons
2006 CCR-Braselton
2008 CCR-Midway
2009 CCR-Rapid City
2011 CCR-Boise
2012 CCR-Duluth
2014 CCR-Chattanooga
2015 CCR-Coeur d 'Alene

post #27 of 28 Old Jan 28th, 2008, 3:27 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkpr1998
simple-minded

I agree, but if you are "headed" for a crash I would rather hit them at a 100 BECAUSE before you die you would at least feel like you have been on thrill ride!
But what's the point of that? You'd not remember the ride and wouldn't be able to brag about it either....
post #28 of 28 Old Jan 28th, 2008, 4:27 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianbeemer
But what's the point of that? You'd not remember the ride and wouldn't be able to brag about it either....
It would be hard to post a wreck like that!

Brett
2003 K1200LTC SOLD
2013 K1600GTL SOLD
2018 K1600GA SOLD
2019 K1600GA Blue

North Georgia

2005 CCR-Tetons
2006 CCR-Braselton
2008 CCR-Midway
2009 CCR-Rapid City
2011 CCR-Boise
2012 CCR-Duluth
2014 CCR-Chattanooga
2015 CCR-Coeur d 'Alene

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in