remote printer help - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 Old Jan 11th, 2008, 8:41 pm Thread Starter

remote printer help

I want to be able to use the printer in my office from my laptop. I sometimes need to print items while I am using my laptop but end up transferring work to a disk and then printing, this is a pain. I need to know from the computer guru's out there what is the easiest way to accomplish this in laymans terms please. I have ie7 on both laptop and desktop. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old Jan 11th, 2008, 9:09 pm

This is an easy one. If your laptop is on the same network as your PC (that the printer is connected to) then do this:
First go to the PC with the printer. Get the name of that computer (right-click My Computer and click Properties and the Computer Name tab)

Back at the Laptop - Click - and type \\ComputerName and
This will show you anything shared from that computer
If the printer is there - just double-click it - if it's not there you will have to go back to the Computer and Share the Printer - then do the above again.

Jim
-------------------
2000 Canyon Red K1200LT (new to me)
1980 Susuki 850GL (given to my brother)
post #3 of 29 Old Jan 12th, 2008, 8:08 am
Lifetime Supporter

Not an expert Mike, but I get by.

Your laptop is networked to desktop already, right. If not, of course that has to happen first. Get a wireless router and follow the instructions. If your laptop is newer it probably has an integrated network card.

If already networked, you need to enable printer sharing from your desktop.

Go "control Panel" - "printers and faxes" - if XP click on share this printer on the left. If that option isn't there, right click your printer icon and then click properties. Click the sharing tab and follow the instructions.

On the laptop go "control panel" - "printers and faxes" - as above find the the "install printer" option. Follow the instructions. Letting Windows find the networked printer is usually best because this tests your network connection again as well.

The only thing I can't remember is if you have to install the printer drivers on the laptop anymore. You used to have to have the drivers on all machines using that printer. It'll tell you if you need to install the printer software on the laptop.

That's the basics of it.

Good luck.

John

2004 - LT - Anthracite

post #4 of 29 Old Jan 12th, 2008, 6:14 pm Thread Starter

Thanks to both, I will try spend some time getting it working,
post #5 of 29 Old Jan 12th, 2008, 11:38 pm

Get yerself one of these - hook up the printer to it - any machine on the LAN can use the printer - no need for a 'host' PC to be on and running.

Ebay clicky

HP info

I use one here at the house for my LJ-1320 - love it.

Tate

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

02 Mauve - my 'Light Truck'
Wyoming Immigration Officer, Cyberhiway tour guide and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 29 Old Jan 13th, 2008, 2:16 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zotter
Get yerself one of these - hook up the printer to it - any machine on the LAN can use the printer - no need for a 'host' PC to be on and running.

Ebay clicky

HP info

Unfortunately this only supports parallel printers, and today's printers are mostly USB...

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #7 of 29 Old Jan 13th, 2008, 3:44 pm

Well - HP does make USB JetDirects as well.

I just did buy a LaserJet 1320 - it was parallel. I can't afford to use Ink Squirters, so maybe I'm avoiding the USB only devices.

Cheaper to buy a new InkJet printer than carts for it anymore. What a scam that is.

Tate

post #8 of 29 Old Jan 13th, 2008, 4:46 pm

Interesting Gilles. I go to Staples, Frye's, CompUSA, and others and all except the high end network printers show both USB and parallel. I've found few that were USB only.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #9 of 29 Old Jan 13th, 2008, 5:16 pm

I use an Apple Airport Express, does the same thing very nicely. No matter if you use Mac or PC. (I use both on it) About $99.00 and EASY to set up.

Quote:

Ebay clicky

HP info

Wolfgang

K1200LT 1999 Champaign SOLD
R1100RS 1994 Teal SOLD
R1150RT 2003 Blue (Sold)
R1100RT 1997 Blue

Pest, Budapest Hungary

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness."
Mark Twain

post #10 of 29 Old Jan 13th, 2008, 5:57 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_R
Interesting Gilles. I go to Staples, Frye's, CompUSA, and others and all except the high end network printers show both USB and parallel. I've found few that were USB only.
I have a Lexmark 7400 (all-in-one type of printer) and it has just a USB port. Kind of a pain since we have 5 computers at home and I rebuild/reconfigure them too often to have one being the print server. As Tate mentioned I should look for an HP Jetdirect with a USB port and print via IP.

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT

post #11 of 29 Old Jan 13th, 2008, 10:06 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Thanks, your post helped me complete setting up my replacement laptop. Getting the printer to work off the laptop was the last step. A few days ago someone asked about getting rid of Norton--that worked also. This is a great site--Thanks again.

Eric
post #12 of 29 Old Jan 13th, 2008, 10:38 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy_gg
I have a Lexmark 7400 (all-in-one type of printer) and it has just a USB port. Kind of a pain since we have 5 computers at home and I rebuild/reconfigure them too often to have one being the print server. As Tate mentioned I should look for an HP Jetdirect with a USB port and print via IP.
I have a Lexmark 3550 with optional WI-FI. According to the documentation it can be sued as a stand alone network printer. Might want to look into weather yours can do that (WI-FI adaptor from LExmark is supposed to be $50)
post #13 of 29 Old Jan 13th, 2008, 10:51 pm

Two things I recommend against - usually.

1 - All in one printers. They're neato kits, take up smaller footprints - but if any one part has issues - you loose 'em all. Having each of those functions in separate units allows for greater flexibility and usually cost less. That way when you've worn out your printer, you don't have to throw away your scanner.

2 - Anything in a consumer model line that 'squirts' ink. It's a device designed to separate you from your money - and incidentally print pages. There are exceptsions - but generally color sprayers are a poor choice over time.

Tate

post #14 of 29 Old Jan 14th, 2008, 8:50 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:

1 - All in one printers. They're neato kits, take up smaller footprints - but if any one part has issues - you loose 'em all. Having each of those functions in separate units allows for greater flexibility and usually cost less. That way when you've worn out your printer, you don't have to throw away your scanner.
I figured I couldn't go wong for $99.00, and 3 years later the thing still works. Primary use is printing, followed by faxing. Number 3 is copying, and number 4 is scanning.

Quote:
2 - Anything in a consumer model line that 'squirts' ink. It's a device designed to separate you from your money - and incidentally print pages. There are exceptions - but generally color sprayers are a poor choice over time.
Totaly agree on the ink pitters being ink guzzlers.

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT

post #15 of 29 Old Jan 14th, 2008, 12:00 pm

Quote:

2 - Anything in a consumer model line that 'squirts' ink. It's a device designed to separate you from your money - and incidentally print pages. There are exceptsions - but generally color sprayers are a poor choice over time.
Thread hijack ---

I've got a Dell All-in-one printer for the wireless 3-puter set up we have. Has worked just fine for the past 3-4 years. Last month, while changing ink cartridges, the press-tab on the cartridge carrier snapped at it's flexhinge. So, now, after inserting the color ink cartridge into the carrier, the carrier won't stay in a secure, flat position and won't hold the cartridge tight up against the splatter contacts. I tried wedging it, since they say the printer won't print unless BOTH cartridges are present. It prints, butt only in black - no color, obviously.

Pinged Dell with the mess - got a reply that there is no fix/repair to be made and the *only* solution is to buy a new printer!!! Hell, they're cheap, so why not? I'll do that, butt --- fratzinfingle, for a leetle tab 'bout the size of your thumbnail, you'd think ........

Anyway - the hijack: do I have to use a Dell-branded replacement printer, or will another brand work as long as it's configured to the system (Dell and Windoze NT)? I see where Staples sez they now carry Dell systems and accessories, butt the beeg city here in SoCenTejas don't got a Staples.
post #16 of 29 Old Jan 14th, 2008, 2:27 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick
Anyway - the hijack: do I have to use a Dell-branded replacement printer, or will another brand work as long as it's configured to the system (Dell and Windoze NT)? I see where Staples sez they now carry Dell systems and accessories, butt the beeg city here in SoCenTejas don't got a Staples.
NO, you don't have to buy a Dell printer (they don't actually make them anyway).
If you want another all in one, check WallyWorld. They sell the Lexmark X3550 for $80 and if you want wireless right off the bat look for the 4500. The wireless adaptor for the 3500 is $50 from Lexmark.
PC mag just did a comparo of the AIO inkjets for speed, clarity and price (including inks) The Lexmark was middle of the pack on all but total cost for printing. The inks were a tad more but with the low price of the unit it actually came in lowest for total cost.
post #17 of 29 Old Jan 14th, 2008, 3:10 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morley
NO, you don't have to buy a Dell printer (they don't actually make them anyway).
If you want another all in one, check WallyWorld. They sell the Lexmark X3550 for $80 and if you want wireless right off the bat look for the 4500. The wireless adaptor for the 3500 is $50 from Lexmark.
PC mag just did a comparo of the AIO inkjets for speed, clarity and price (including inks) The Lexmark was middle of the pack on all but total cost for printing. The inks were a tad more but with the low price of the unit it actually came in lowest for total cost.
Thanks a lot, Ken - I appreciate it. Got me some shoppin' to do!!

Now back to the original thread topic!
post #18 of 29 Old Jan 14th, 2008, 5:38 pm

Garage
Linksys Print Server 4tw!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy_gg
I used one of these for a while until my printer died and I replaced it with a color laser networking duplexer. Worked like a charm.

Heracleitus

'12 Victory Cross Country Vivian Vader
'07 LT
die Blau Frau SOLD!
MBW-MOA Member #140221
post #19 of 29 Old Jan 14th, 2008, 7:05 pm
Jim
Slow Old Guy

Dick,

I feel your pain. We throw a fax maching away every couple of years 'cuz they die and can't be fixed for the price of a new one. I have tried every brand out there and they all seem to last about the same.

Can't you come up with a little piece of plastic or something that you glue to the cartridge holder? If nothing else, I would Crazy Glue or hot melt the new ink cartridges in just to use 'em up.

Jim Anderson
Idyllwild, CA
'04 Ural Tourist
'08 Tiger
post #20 of 29 Old Jan 14th, 2008, 8:01 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim
Dick,

I feel your pain. We throw a fax maching away every couple of years 'cuz they die and can't be fixed for the price of a new one. I have tried every brand out there and they all seem to last about the same.

Can't you come up with a little piece of plastic or something that you glue to the cartridge holder? If nothing else, I would Crazy Glue or hot melt the new ink cartridges in just to use 'em up.
Hi, Jim - ya know, I thought about doing just that. This leetle all-in-one printer has done a real good job for what we use it for. An occasional fax; sometimes a copy; and quite a bit of just plain ole printing. I hate to think I gotta toast it just for a leetle plastic tab. I still have that tab and I think if I can get the carrier out in the open far enough to work with it, I'll do just what you suggest - work some sorta McGyver magic on it!!

Wish me luck, cuz I really don't wanna go to the electronic stores where my wallet gets hit on and the shopping carts hold too much stuff!!!
post #21 of 29 Old Jan 15th, 2008, 6:34 am

Quote:
No, using a Dell-branded printer is just another way to separate you from your money. Any printer will do. It will either auto configure or have a configuration CD with it. Find what you like for the $$$ you want to spend and have a good time.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #22 of 29 Old Jan 16th, 2008, 1:03 am

Quote:
Hi, Jim - ya know, I thought about doing just that. This leetle all-in-one printer has done a real good job for what we use it for. An occasional fax; sometimes a copy; and quite a bit of just plain ole printing. I hate to think I gotta toast it just for a leetle plastic tab. I still have that tab and I think if I can get the carrier out in the open far enough to work with it, I'll do just what you suggest - work some sorta McGyver magic on it!!

Wish me luck, cuz I really don't wanna go to the electronic stores where my wallet gets hit on and the shopping carts hold too much stuff!!!
Hate to be a wet blanket, but you can forget gluing that tab. The plastic used for the printer cases/parts can't be glued to where they'd take the stress that the little tab has to put up with. However, I'm sure another jury rig solution would work.
post #23 of 29 Old Jan 16th, 2008, 2:13 pm

Quote:
Hate to be a wet blanket, but you can forget gluing that tab. The plastic used for the printer cases/parts can't be glued to where they'd take the stress that the little tab has to put up with. However, I'm sure another jury rig solution would work.
Hey, Ken - not to worry 'bout the wet blanket thang; I understand. It definitely looks like a frail item. Doubt I'm the only one ever experiencing it goin' south. I just like a challenge and hate to waste an otherwise good piece of equipment.

Got lured into Best Buy yestiday and came home with a lighter wallet (I knew it, I knew it!!) and an HP Wireless all-in-one thangy. Even has two card slots for dealin' with picture takin' stuff! That'll lemme work on my tax program while I see just whazzup with McGyverin' the broken Dell.

Thanks again, all.
post #24 of 29 Old Jan 16th, 2008, 7:08 pm

Quote:
Hey, Ken - not to worry 'bout the wet blanket thang; I understand. It definitely looks like a frail item. Doubt I'm the only one ever experiencing it goin' south. I just like a challenge and hate to waste an otherwise good piece of equipment.

Got lured into Best Buy yestiday and came home with a lighter wallet (I knew it, I knew it!!) and an HP Wireless all-in-one thangy. Even has two card slots for dealin' with picture takin' stuff! That'll lemme work on my tax program while I see just whazzup with McGyverin' the broken Dell.

Thanks again, all.
Dick,

What model did you get?

I have been looking online at the HP1505. Seems to be very highly rated.

Res ipsa loquitur, sed quid in infernos dicet?

Alan Stuber
2003 K1200 LTC Titan Silver
Austin, Texas

post #25 of 29 Old Jan 16th, 2008, 7:47 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by astuber
Dick,

What model did you get?

I have been looking online at the HP1505. Seems to be very highly rated.
Hi, Alan; It's a real long story on how I came to purchase the *HP Photosmart C4385* thang. Next time we meet, remind me and I'll tell you the interesting part of the story.

Short story is - three in-store computer gurus and a south Tejas cattle baron couple (true!) ganged up on me and it rang up at 149 bones. There were many on the shelf for less, and lots on the shelf for more. A demo of 5 (2 down and 3 up) convinced me to open the wallet and let the cobwebs out!!

Once I buy sumpthin' and take it home and it works, I quit lookin', cuz my wallet sez "ya beeg dummy, you coulda done bettah and saved yadda, yadda, yadda"! So, I'm not sayin' this be the one for you --- I'm just sayin'!!!
post #26 of 29 Old Jan 17th, 2008, 1:36 am

Does anyone know if HP is still doing the ink scam with their printers?
It seems their printers can tell how much ink is left in the cartridge (either by guess on pages printed or other means) and it tells you that it is out of ink 3/4 of the way through the cartridge...and it won't let you keep printing with it. Once the printer says that cartridge is empty, that's it. HP got called on the carpet a while ago for this little scam.
post #27 of 29 Old Jan 17th, 2008, 10:13 am

Quote:
Does anyone know if HP is still doing the ink scam with their printers?
It seems their printers can tell how much ink is left in the cartridge (either by guess on pages printed or other means) and it tells you that it is out of ink 3/4 of the way through the cartridge...and it won't let you keep printing with it. Once the printer says that cartridge is empty, that's it. HP got called on the carpet a while ago for this little scam.
Not sure about HP. I know that Epson used the software anti-piracy law to stop companies from refilling the used cartridges for their printers. Once the low level sensor had triggered it would not reset even if refilled. Some enterprising group had figured out how to reset the chip. Epson then stepped in and sued claiming that they were violating their proprietary software.

Interesting reading

Alan Stuber
Austin, Texas

post #28 of 29 Old Jan 17th, 2008, 10:43 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by astuber
Not sure about HP. I know that Epson used the software anti-piracy law to stop companies from refilling the used cartridges for their printers. Once the low level sensor had triggered it would not reset even if refilled. Some enterprising group had figured out how to reset the chip. Epson then stepped in and sued claiming that they were violating their proprietary software.

Interesting reading
Man, with this kind of 'corporate scudding', printer ink must be a pretty damn lucrative market. In Boerne, there is an ink-refill shop that does a ton of bidness with some pretty good size Bidnesses around the area. I wuz a leetle skeptical at first, in re-filling my Dell cartridges there. Tried it once, and then got the tour of the process (foam sponge thang inside; weighing for remaining fluid versus new fill; etc). I use them all the time now. Just didn't like Dell's admonition that I MUST buy the cartridges from them, or else!!

BTW - just saw where San Antonio is getting a Staples out towards my leetle village. Ummmmm - there goes another wallet exorcism!!
post #29 of 29 Old Jan 17th, 2008, 11:25 am

Quote:
Man, with this kind of 'corporate scudding', printer ink must be a pretty damn lucrative market. In Boerne, there is an ink-refill shop that does a ton of bidness with some pretty good size Bidnesses around the area. I wuz a leetle skeptical at first, in re-filling my Dell cartridges there. Tried it once, and then got the tour of the process (foam sponge thang inside; weighing for remaining fluid versus new fill; etc). I use them all the time now. Just didn't like Dell's admonition that I MUST buy the cartridges from them, or else!!

BTW - just saw where San Antonio is getting a Staples out towards my leetle village. Ummmmm - there goes another wallet exorcism!!
It has been reported by HP that in the recent quarter, 42% of their profits came from the sale of ink and toner cartridges. This works out to a quarterly profit of $1.1 Billion from selling ink and toner. No wonder they want to protect their market share.

Alan Stuber
Austin, Texas

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in