New Earphones - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old Jan 8th, 2008, 7:57 pm Thread Starter
Cat Herder

New Earphones

For X-mas I got meself one of the new fangled 160GB IPod's and as I am sure many iPod owners can attest to, while the original earphone are not the worst in the sound department (actually they are decent), they certainly are almost the worst in terms of comfort, or staying in my ears when I try to use them in the helmet.

Oh well, me thinks: I have not bought the Ipod for their earphones so, off I go and tried the ER6i, the type of earphones that I was using for the last 3 years. And while I did like them originally I have to admit they are not as crisp and clear, nor do they have the bass response I would have wished for.

So, off I go doing research again and it seems currently almost everyone on the net seems to agree that in the sub $1k range there is one type of earphones standing out from the crowd.

So I thinks: Hhmm, from the description it sounds as if these guys would be the ones that the Dr. ordered. Ok, lets see what the internet would wish to take for a pair. Talk about an OUTCH experience: Around $450 - $500 is the going price. I didn't want to spend more for a pair of earphones than for the whole Ipod.

After much searching I finally found a new pair on ebay for $300 plus change. So, well at least the earphones are cheaper than the IPod, not by much, but they are.

Today they came, and of course I had to try them immediately.

Boy, oh BOY WHAT A DIFFERENCE! There is a bass respnse as well as crisp and clean high frequencies. Definitely worth the money, but now I also know why the IPod doesn't come with something like that. It would almost double the price, though worth that would be problematic in selling.

MAN! I am listening to some pieces I know and I can hear new nuances. Just incredible.

I guess the fact that they have 2 separate speakers in the earphone is for a reason!

What? Oh, yes. It's the Shure SE530. Absolutely terrific. Well worth the money. Imagine having your brain directly connected and the music piped that way. Maybe, due to the price, not for everyone, but for me: 100% worth the money.

Andreas Pleschutznig
'14 GSAW soon:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still in search of Occam's razor to cut a Gordian knot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old Jan 8th, 2008, 8:25 pm

Andy,

Have you tried them with your helmet yet? I'm wondering how well they "stay in" your ears?

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA
'06 Goldwing - "The Black Pearl"
Too many others to list...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #3 of 15 Old Jan 8th, 2008, 8:33 pm Thread Starter
Cat Herder

I have tried, yes, and they stay in fine. Depending on YOUR ears you will have to select the flanges that fit you best. *I* had to use the white triple flanges, and then they stayed in purrfectly.

Still listening .... I'm in love.

Andreas Pleschutznig
'14 GSAW soon:

post #4 of 15 Old Jan 8th, 2008, 10:11 pm

From the picture of these it looks like they will extend out of your ears enough to hit on the helmet and be uncomfortable. Do they?
post #5 of 15 Old Jan 9th, 2008, 12:11 am

My choice

For Xmas my wife purchase me a set of Bose in-ear headphones. Cost at QVC about $100 dollars. and they fit very nice in the bowl of the ear. Come with two other size ear tips to fit into different size ear canals and a small case that will hold the ear buds and your normal size IPod device. They sound great!

Rob Asay
99 Canyon Red Lt
"The True Red Dragon"
1982 Honda "Silver Wing"
1986 Gold Wing Interstate "Blue Babe"
1978 Gold Wing
1976 Kawasaki 900
1967 Honda 305 Scrambler
post #6 of 15 Old Jan 9th, 2008, 8:04 am

I have found that, with earphones on bikes, how well they seal wind roar out is as important as how well they seal sound in. And the Apple earphones suck for sealing sound out (but they are great for allowing conversation while listening).

Aerostitch.com usually has a great selection of earphones, including some that can be custom-fit to the shape of your ear. I hear these are great.

http://www.aerostich.com/catalog/US/...p-1-c-337.html
post #7 of 15 Old Jan 9th, 2008, 8:58 am Thread Starter
Cat Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEhrler
From the picture of these it looks like they will extend out of your ears enough to hit on the helmet and be uncomfortable. Do they?
At least for me they extend just enough that the helmet holds them snug it without pushing the earphones comfortably.

Andreas Pleschutznig
'14 GSAW soon:

post #8 of 15 Old Jan 9th, 2008, 9:24 am

My wife also got me a pr. of the Bose for Xmas. I haven't taken out of box yet...trying to find out if anybody has tried them with helmet yet. Are they comfortable? Fit Well?

GolfGuy

Bob Thede
'02 K1200 LT-Blackie II

'97 BMW Z3-SO's
BMWMOA #135792

CCR-'08

'62 Fender Jazz Bass-played often!
post #9 of 15 Old Jan 18th, 2008, 5:22 pm

Two thumbs up!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy
...Boy, oh BOY WHAT A DIFFERENCE! There is a bass respnse as well as crisp and clean high frequencies. Definitely worth the money, but now I also know why the IPod doesn't come with something like that. It would almost double the price, though worth that would be problematic in selling.

MAN! I am listening to some pieces I know and I can hear new nuances. Just incredible.

I guess the fact that they have 2 separate speakers in the earphone is for a reason!

What? Oh, yes. It's the Shure SE530. Absolutely terrific. Well worth the money. Imagine having your brain directly connected and the music piped that way. Maybe, due to the price, not for everyone, but for me: 100% worth the money.
I agree. I tried the Bose initially 'cause they were convenient to get and relatively inexpensive, but they don't compare in sound quality. The Shures are incredibly neutral, with solid base and plenty of attachments for a good fit. I sprung for the PTH model (push to hear) and use it mostly when I'm running errands or working in the clay and must talk with someone. It handy to not pull out the phones only to reinsert them.

Edgar Tanner
2009 Piaggio MP3 500
2003 Titan Silver LTC (Angel-returned to the heavens)
2000 Basalt LTC (Down for the count)
Kansas City, MO 64153
post #10 of 15 Old Jan 20th, 2008, 7:53 am
Lifetime Supporter

What about blocking outside noise?

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy
For X-mas I got meself one of the new fangled 160GB IPod's and as I am sure many iPod owners can attest to, while the original earphone are not the worst in the sound department (actually they are decent), they certainly are almost the worst in terms of comfort, or staying in my ears when I try to use them in the helmet.

Oh well, me thinks: I have not bought the Ipod for their earphones so, off I go and tried the ER6i, the type of earphones that I was using for the last 3 years. And while I did like them originally I have to admit they are not as crisp and clear, nor do they have the bass response I would have wished for.

So, off I go doing research again and it seems currently almost everyone on the net seems to agree that in the sub $1k range there is one type of earphones standing out from the crowd.

So I thinks: Hhmm, from the description it sounds as if these guys would be the ones that the Dr. ordered. Ok, lets see what the internet would wish to take for a pair. Talk about an OUTCH experience: Around $450 - $500 is the going price. I didn't want to spend more for a pair of earphones than for the whole Ipod.

After much searching I finally found a new pair on ebay for $300 plus change. So, well at least the earphones are cheaper than the IPod, not by much, but they are.

Today they came, and of course I had to try them immediately.

Boy, oh BOY WHAT A DIFFERENCE! There is a bass respnse as well as crisp and clean high frequencies. Definitely worth the money, but now I also know why the IPod doesn't come with something like that. It would almost double the price, though worth that would be problematic in selling.

Andy,

I normally use foam earplugs to block outside noise whenever I ride because of a bad case of tinnitus supposedly caused by loud noises. I have changed the speakers in my helmet from the tinny Autocom to better ones from Radio Shack.

I like the idea of the Shure inserts and wondered if they also help in blocking outside noise like the foam ear plugs? My earplugs advertise blocking about 30 DB. Do the Shure block any outside noise?

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #11 of 15 Old Jan 20th, 2008, 8:39 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatanner
I agree. I tried the Bose initially 'cause they were convenient to get and relatively inexpensive, but they don't compare in sound quality. The Shures are incredibly neutral, with solid base and plenty of attachments for a good fit. I sprung for the PTH model (push to hear) and use it mostly when I'm running errands or working in the clay and must talk with someone. It handy to not pull out the phones only to reinsert them.
Hey, Edgar - brung them with you next time you join us at World Kkaaffeee Hqtrs; maybe you can convince me to upgrade from those foam plugs I've been using forever!!

BTW - I'm still trying to figger out why this thread is in the 'Supporting Members Only' forum!! Why not in the forum category that covers Accessories, Gadgets and Gear? Or at the very least, Chit Chat? Why are we keeping this information from the forum's general readership? I guess I'm too naive to understand the direction in which this website is headed.
post #12 of 15 Old Jan 21st, 2008, 8:36 am
Lifetime Supporter

me too

BTW - I'm still trying to figger out why this thread is in the 'Supporting Members Only' forum!! Why not in the forum category that covers Accessories, Gadgets and Gear? Or at the very least, Chit Chat? Why are we keeping this information from the forum's general readership? I guess I'm too naive to understand the direction in which this website is headed. [/QUOTE]
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I too don't understand the need to keep a forum "private". If I have a vote, I would delete this particular section.

By the way, do the audio inserts help to cancel out environmental noise?

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #13 of 15 Old Jan 21st, 2008, 8:49 am Thread Starter
Cat Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandiver
Andy,

I normally use foam earplugs to block outside noise whenever I ride because of a bad case of tinnitus supposedly caused by loud noises. I have changed the speakers in my helmet from the tinny Autocom to better ones from Radio Shack.

I like the idea of the Shure inserts and wondered if they also help in blocking outside noise like the foam ear plugs? My earplugs advertise blocking about 30 DB. Do the Shure block any outside noise?
Yes, they do block SOME outside noise. I doubt that they have 30db(a) reduction. BUT now here is the big BUTT. They come with a HOST of different tips to select from. Some of them more comfy, some others better in noise reduction. I personally found that the medium black ones single flange work best for me, espesciall when the wires are BEHIND the ears. They also come with some foam inserts, but I have not tried them.

I have had helmet speakers for a long time on my old LT and I was happy with them. but once you HEAR the difference there is no going back.

Andreas Pleschutznig
'14 GSAW soon:

post #14 of 15 Old Jan 21st, 2008, 8:51 am Thread Starter
Cat Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick
BTW - I'm still trying to figger out why this thread is in the 'Supporting Members Only' forum!!
THAT is easy to answer: It is here because I put it here.

Andreas Pleschutznig
'14 GSAW soon:

post #15 of 15 Old Jan 21st, 2008, 10:37 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick
Hey, Edgar - brung them with you next time you join us at World Kkaaffeee Hqtrs; maybe you can convince me to upgrade from those foam plugs I've been using forever!!

BTW - I'm still trying to figger out why this thread is in the 'Supporting Members Only' forum!! Why not in the forum category that covers Accessories, Gadgets and Gear? Or at the very least, Chit Chat? Why are we keeping this information from the forum's general readership? I guess I'm too naive to understand the direction in which this website is headed.
I still use my custom plugs/earphones that Marilyn (Now Hear This) made for me when riding but that's just because I haven't been listening to the Ipod much on the bike. I'll bring them when I come this Friday (unless we head to the
Cowboy Breakfast). Deb will be out of town and I'll be free to awake early.

I don't think Andy expected this to develop into a thread touting the Shure. He was just sharing with friendly types about his good luck. Heck, I bet he'd even move it to Accessories if we poked him enough.

Edgar Tanner
2009 Piaggio MP3 500
2003 Titan Silver LTC (Angel-returned to the heavens)
2000 Basalt LTC (Down for the count)
Kansas City, MO 64153

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in