Do you motorcycle camp? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old Jan 3rd, 2008, 10:00 am Thread Starter

Do you motorcycle camp?

My boss told me about this idea: *http://www.kruegerservices.com/fritz/osp/

Check out the PASS Stove. *He and his father-in-law built one and said it works really well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'99K1200LT - "Bertha" - gone, but not forgotten!
'86 Concours - "Horse with no name" (under reconstructive surgery)
'06 K1200GT - "Road Rocket"
Marshall, Tx

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old Jan 3rd, 2008, 10:48 am

Interesting... "Girl Scouts" using a Miller Beer can... very, "progressive".... just kidding..

That is a good idea... now I know what those cans are for.. I bet using a screwdriver to punch the holes before cutting the can would work..

Only need to find some "denatured alcohol".... do they sell it at paint stores?

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #3 of 18 Old Jan 3rd, 2008, 11:05 am

This is supposed to be something new??? I was doing stuff like this as a Boy Scout back in . . . . . well never mind.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."

post #4 of 18 Old Jan 3rd, 2008, 11:58 am

Imho...camping Sucks :d
post #5 of 18 Old Jan 3rd, 2008, 12:27 pm

At the price of drugs vs "motels" these days, the old campground days are looking mighty good. Take a couple of painkillers before you nap off and it will hurt less when you wake up..???? maybe. Last time I 'camped', I just slept on the picnic table at a roadside rest area.. up, off the ground, level, no sticks or varmints (at least none of the 'natural' type varmints).

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #6 of 18 Old Jan 3rd, 2008, 2:33 pm

My little place in the country - I can get the tent, 2 self inflatin sleeping mats, and 2 sleeping bags all in one pannier (side bag) - enough room left for clothes & toys. . .

• 2005 LT - 17 countries, 2 CONTINENTS & counting !
  • MB SLK 350 MT
  • 1974 Triumph Bonneville 750

post #7 of 18 Old Jan 3rd, 2008, 2:53 pm

Wooly.. not to be too observant here.. but I can't help but notice your boots are downwind of the bike... with your rear drive troubles, you might want to keep them closer...

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #8 of 18 Old Jan 3rd, 2008, 3:01 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahpd1992
Imho...camping Sucks :d
Camping is cool!

Jim S.
'07 SturmGrau K1200LT

“Not all those who wander are lost.”

post #9 of 18 Old Jan 3rd, 2008, 4:36 pm

Sure, I motorcycle camp. When a BMW rally is held at a relatively close campground, my wife drives the RV and I ride the bike. When the campground is half way (or more) across the country, I trailer the bike behind the RV.

Sure, I motorcycle camp ...

- Bob

Cowboy Bob Menton

Greenville SC USA
'07 K1200GT, '69 R60US (mint!)
'83 R80S (nee '83 R80RT)
"You can never escape the FOG (Fast Old Guys)"
post #10 of 18 Old Jan 3rd, 2008, 5:07 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfell
Wooly.. not to be too observant here.. but I can't help but notice your boots are downwind of the bike... with your rear drive troubles, you might want to keep them closer...
Ah but, if you check out the seagul, the boots are actually upwind of the bike - must admit, after a long days ride, it was bliss just walkin around on the cool grass with no boots on - never mind smelling the roses

• 2005 LT - 17 countries, 2 CONTINENTS & counting !
  • MB SLK 350 MT
  • 1974 Triumph Bonneville 750

post #11 of 18 Old Jan 3rd, 2008, 5:33 pm

Breezy..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolly
Ah but, if you check out the seagul, the boots are actually upwind of the bike - must admit, after a long days ride, it was bliss just walkin around on the cool grass with no boots on - never mind smelling the roses
Ah.. I see.. the gull seemed to be going against the wind and the bike antenna and tent fabric must have been caught in a gusty condition.... hehehe...

Before I forget.... it's good to see your bike all together... I know you agree..

What I'd like to see is your "packing" method and specifics of the tent, etc... I find the "storage" space on the LT very limited... Do you lay it over on one side then the other to fill the pannier? =) Seriously, I can't get that much stuff in there.. Guess my having all the extra fabric fouls up the planning.. hehehe.

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #12 of 18 Old Jan 3rd, 2008, 6:10 pm

Cowboy Bob is a WIMP!!!!!

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #13 of 18 Old Jan 3rd, 2008, 6:27 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_R
Cowboy Bob is a WIMP!!!!!
Yup.

- Bob

Cowboy Bob Menton

Greenville SC USA
'07 K1200GT, '69 R60US (mint!)
'83 R80S (nee '83 R80RT)
"You can never escape the FOG (Fast Old Guys)"
post #14 of 18 Old Jan 3rd, 2008, 6:44 pm

I LOVE to go camping....camp Hilton, camp Sheraton and we really rough it at camp Holiday Inn.
Ride Safe!
post #15 of 18 Old Jan 3rd, 2008, 8:42 pm

Leesure Lite pop up trailers are really fun to camp in.

I pull it with my R1200RT, no problems. It's a blast.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dan and Lisa camping.JPG
Views:	51
Size:	327.8 KB
ID:	15908  
post #16 of 18 Old Jan 3rd, 2008, 10:36 pm

Heck yea !!

Seldom do I over night in a motel ... Pull the trailer & live in the moment
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Scotts vacation 028.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	313.7 KB
ID:	15909   Click image for larger version

Name:	Scotts vacation 117.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	348.7 KB
ID:	15910   Click image for larger version

Name:	Scotts vacation 118.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	341.9 KB
ID:	15911   Click image for larger version

Name:	Scotts vacation 120.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	318.8 KB
ID:	15912  

"00" Canyon Red LTI ~ Well Farklized ~ Bug Splattered
Our "semi" quiet riot
*** Trailer Too ***

T
wisties Required

post #17 of 18 Old Jan 3rd, 2008, 10:45 pm

Camp setup at Willville Motorcycle Camp, Meadows of Dan, VA
www.willvillebikecamp.com Check it out if you get a chance.
All campgear strapped to rear seat in a dryseal bag.
Haven't had to figure out how to pack for two-up.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN0100 (Small).JPG
Views:	36
Size:	83.3 KB
ID:	15913  

Doug Roorda
Mid TN
99 K1200LT
03 Ducati M800S-sold
02 F650GS-Dakar
03 DRZ400S
KJ4EER

post #18 of 18 Old Jan 4th, 2008, 5:51 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfell
What I'd like to see is your "packing" method and specifics of the tent, etc... I find the "storage" space on the LT very limited... Do you lay it over on one side then the other to fill the pannier? =) Seriously, I can't get that much stuff in there.. Guess my having all the extra fabric fouls up the planning.. hehehe.
I just worked out that in the last 20 years I have spent 40 days+ a year on average camping off a motorbike.
Packing for a long trip is 2nd nature now, but each trip requires one very special custom procedure;
It isn't what I take but how I pack it - more specifically - each trip needs it's own packing order: if it's raining during making or breaking camp, the tent needs to be packed last - not good if it's heavy. Only last year I discovered the joys of packing the differently weighted parts of the tent in different places!
You also have to take into account what you wear when breaking camp - do you want to be wearing your riding clothes while packing up? I don't, I always wear leather.
Worst? The Mrs always says she has given me everything out of the tent - she never does and I have to find extra room for shoes, a bag or a towel.
The K12lt is far more challenging than my ST1100 in this respect due to the hard cases, but since I put a rack on the back box I have found it far easier.

"Whenever you find you are on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect" Mark Twain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in