New(to me)Vehicle Purchase - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Dec 26th, 2007, 8:35 pm Thread Starter

New(to me)Vehicle Purchase

Well, the time has come to finally get another vehicle. I am a Preowned BMW fanatic simply because of the 'Value' aspect. I am currently considering a 745LI 2003 or 2004, but recently saw a VW Phaeton on the LOT where I purchased my bike and a few cars. I must say that the VW Phaeton is a whale of a car for the money right now. 25-30k for a Preowned one. But, I also checked with an Automotive Guru who is on National TV(Motorweek) just to get an idea of what the cost of ownership would be and just one wear item(Water Pump) is 900.00 and the cost of replacement (the correct way) would be around 2k every 80k miles. Therefore, it is basically a 750IL in terms of repair/replacement. Anyone have a 745 that could comment on ownership costs so far? I usually use a good independent dealership for service but have been told (forewarned) that it is even sometimes difficult to get parts for the VW and a lot of dealerships dont have the expertise to even work on it. Man, what a beast though.

1980 KZ1000LTD (stolen)
1982 KZ1000LTD (sold)
1987 YAMAHA VENTURE ROYALE (sold)
2003 K1200LTC in Black (current)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Dec 27th, 2007, 7:41 am

We visited the 'glass' factory where they build those cars a couple years back, got a tour, etc..

they had a full size fully equipped phaeton hooked up to a virtual test drive thingy..what a blast!

I was totally impressed with the VW. Buyers fly in and watch their car being built.

My German friends were not as impressed because the VW is considered more of a 'peoples' car (historically) and not like Mercedes, a status thing. They said if you spend that much, buy a mercedes. I dunno, I really like that VW myself.

Can't comment on the BMW other than I like those a lot too, you have a tuff choice there!
post #3 of 6 Old Dec 27th, 2007, 8:29 am

Thumbs up

Hi Mikey,

Like you, I used to have the "Pre-owned BMW" bug. I have owned several, namely a 318i, 320i, 325e, 535i, 735 and a 745i. I loved them all, but come repair time, they were horrendous. I have also owned several Mercedes Benz vehicles, the latest of which is an E430 4Matic. In my experience and in the long run, the Benzs are much less cheaper to maintain than the BMW's ever were. Others may say otherwise. I always have mine serviced at an authorized dealer either here in Texas or back home in Canada.

Maybe this is not what you wanted to hear, but when it comes to quality, reliability and longevity, I think the Benz stands out front. Just another option which you might want to consider. Try www.mbusa.com for a selection of their pre-owned vehicles.

Good luck and good hunting.

Martin
'03 Anthracite K1200 LT
'02 Blue R1150 RT
BMW MOA #44043

post #4 of 6 Old Dec 27th, 2007, 6:40 pm Thread Starter

In reference to what the last post, I have an E class which has been pretty good....most expensive thing was a head gasket, but that was at 110k, I now have about 230k on the odometer, it has mostly a 'Luxury' ride and feel, but not a 'Sport' type feel as the BMW which I have had in the past. I have owned several of the same ones as you have. I understand that the repairs will be more expensive simply because it is a complex machine, but you get what you pay for. Just not ready for a Second Mortgage for normal wear items as in the Phaeton, but what a machine nontheless. By comparison, the 750IL usually goes 250-300k when properly maintained, but your wallet will be definitely lighter. Anyway tks a lot and I'm still looking for other opinions as well....Mikey

1980 KZ1000LTD (stolen)
1982 KZ1000LTD (sold)
1987 YAMAHA VENTURE ROYALE (sold)
2003 K1200LTC in Black (current)
post #5 of 6 Old Dec 27th, 2007, 7:37 pm

I recently sold my 525i, which was in most cases cheaper to buy parts for than a Toyota Camry! Surprised the hell out of me. There are multiple sources for OEM BMW parts that are considerably cheaper than dealer prices. For some reason, not the case with Toyota parts! Surprising that BMW parts can be had for less than comparable Toyota ones. My daughter's Camry had the molded rubber boot between the throttle body and Mass Air Flow sensor split, best price we could find for the part was $90! The VERY similar part on the 525i was $23!

I also have a 2001 740iL, which my wife and I really love, but it is a bit of an expense to get many parts for it. It has had more problems than the 525 did, and the 525 had 180,000 miles on it.

I do all my own work, so just parts costs is what I look at. A few expenses I have had on the 740: (discount prices)

Water Pump: $130

Thermostat: $80 (This is not your normal little brass thermostat, but a big aluminum housing with the thermostat imbedded in it, and an electrical plug on it. The thermostat is electrically heated by the ECM as needed to control emissions and make for smooth warm-ups.

Bilstein Shocks: $600

The BIG surprise: The alternator quit, discount price for a Bosch factory rebuilt one was $300! It is a sealed 100 amp Water Cooled unit.

I have had the car for 4 years now, about 60,000 miles, so do not consider the costs bad overall for the fun and joy of driving it. Just a little surprising when the individual parts costs hit the wallet, usually at the worst possible time.

I have had a few other little issues, but mostly costs for those items were pretty competitive to competing brands of cars.

If I did not do all my own work though, I am sure the dealer costs would have been rather difficult to swallow.

If I was in the market for another high end used car, I would seriously consider that Pheaton! Especially if there is service manual type of information available on it. Just something else to learn how to work on.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #6 of 6 Old Dec 27th, 2007, 8:04 pm

Since 1974 I've owned about 15 Bimmers and 3 Beemers. The motorcycles were 1984 R100CS, 1999 R100RT, and the current 2005 K1200LT.

None of the vehicles (2 or 4 wheels), which ranged from a '74 2002 to the present '01 M5 and '04 Z4 had any major issues at all. Never had an engine, transmission, rear end, clutch, etc. replaced on any of them. Check Consumer Reports on reliability and you'll find that MB has had some tough years recently. Don't even get me started on the POS '84 Audi 5000S that I owned for a short time.

Change the oil, drive them, and fix any of the relatively minor items that need servicing. I'm always amazed that we will trade for another vehicle that may set us back $30-50,000 when you could fix the present one for less than 10% of that.

Drive what you like and enjoy the ride.

Bruce

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in