A new sandbox - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Dec 19th, 2007, 9:07 pm Thread Starter

A new sandbox

Now, if only I can keep from soiling it.

What kind of fun are we gonna have in here?

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Grok
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Dec 20th, 2007, 8:02 am
Cat Herder

Just remember to wipe up the spills, then it'll stay clean

Andreas Pleschutznig
'14 GSAW soon:

Still in search of Occam's razor to cut a Gordian knot.
post #3 of 12 Old Dec 20th, 2007, 8:46 am
Lifetime Supporter

???

um, what's the point?

Don't get me wrong, I am a paying member (obviously), and always will be, but isn't one of the genuinely special things about this website is that it isn't in any way exclusionary?

I'd just hate this to be a slippery slope of any type, and have the forum end up like some others, where you can't access things like posted articles (hall of wisdom) or attachments or archives unless you're a "real member." I think that would go against what I've come to believe this forum and it's members are about.

PLEASE let this section, if it must exist, be a supplement only and not something that eventually restricts access to things that up until now people have had free access to.

I understand the frustration that must exist when forum members (particularly those who litter the threads with posts) can't find it in their wallets to donate even a couple bucks to support the cause.

Who knows, maybe "main entry page" splash graphics once in a while mentioning some of the costs involved ("RAID server...$XXX WEBSITE HOSTING...$XXX MAINTENANCE...$XXX PROGRAMMING COSTS MONTHLY...$XXX ACCESS TO A WORLD OF INFORMATION AND FRIENDS...PRICELESS, BUT CAN'T YOU DONATE JUST $2 A MONTH? CLICK HERE FOR DETAILS)

Some people feel they have to have an understanding of WHY they are being asked to contribute...or what the costs are they are being asked to contribute to...perhaps you can just give a PARTIAL breakdown of SOME of the costs...maybe just "here are some of the REAL costs just the last six months, excluding the hundreds of hours that have been spent by forum members to operate, troubleshoot, and maintain the site..." and, perhaps more important: "Remember when the system took a giant dump a couple months ago? This is what it took to fix it, and these are the things planned to prevent it in the future, and the planned budget to make it happen...if you felt the pangs of bmwlt.com withdrawal as much as we did, help defray the costs..."

Yes, I understand there will be a fistfull of a-holes who will reply with "you idiots are getting ripped off, I can get a blablabla server for half that..." but those goofs wouldn't contribute anyway, so don't do it in a thread and delete their email with a giggle, because it would happen no matter what.

I offered a while ago to help with some bmwlt.com fundraising ideas (specifically lapel/riding jacket pins, t-shirts and stickers). I'm still willing to do so, as a member of a small committee but not solo (my health has declined as of late, and I am not in a financial position to take a hit like I did on the DA pins).

take a peek at http://www.lxforums.com/

they sell a bunch of stuff with their logo (the skull and crossbones in the right area of the main homepage) that supports operation. Obviously this site would want something more, uh, "upscale?" but with a committee to plan and design, I am certain that it would be a revenue stream for the site, and if it took off, excess could be donated to the CCR designated charity annually.

Well, sorry for going on and on...

Griff it was nice seeing your name again.

Moderators and those who run the site, I appreciate what you do...particularly the last few months here have been many days that visits to the site here to "visit friends" have been a real source of comfort in the midst of turmoil. Which is why I'd like to suggest that "creating a section of the playground where not everyone can play" might have some negative impact that wasn't anticipated or intended.

(and yes, I anticipate some criticism for voicing this, so have at it)

Pete

========================================
When life throws you a curve, LEAN INTO IT!!!
2000 R1100RT-P...R.I.P. "Old motorcycle"

2004 K1200LT "Lick and Tickle"

FU*K Cancer. If I have one more MRI, I'll stick to the refrigerator door.

post #4 of 12 Old Dec 20th, 2007, 9:17 am Thread Starter

This will be a "value added" section. Upcoming thangs in the future, TBA.

No way exclusionary, or divisive. How can it be exclusionary when for less than a tank of gas, you can belong. Who among us can't afford one dollar a month?

This is also what's called "a soft opening". Andy is ironing out bugs as we speak.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #5 of 12 Old Dec 20th, 2007, 4:59 pm
BMW Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots
This will be a "value added" section. Upcoming thangs in the future, TBA.

No way exclusionary, or divisive. How can it be exclusionary when for less than a tank of gas, you can belong. Who among us can't afford one dollar a month?

This is also what's called "a soft opening". Andy is ironing out bugs as we speak.
I'm gonna go find some other place to play. All this exclusionary exclusivity is more than I can deal with

2007 G650 X Challenge
2006 GT200
2005 R1200GS

post #6 of 12 Old Dec 20th, 2007, 5:05 pm Thread Starter

Testing for moderation, test, test, 1, 2, 3, test.

-=grif=-

Grok
post #7 of 12 Old Dec 20th, 2007, 5:55 pm
BMW Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots
Testing for moderation, test, test, 1, 2, 3, test.

DAMN he go access. We're gonna have to ban ya

2007 G650 X Challenge
2006 GT200
2005 R1200GS

post #8 of 12 Old Dec 20th, 2007, 6:53 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I think it was Grouch Marx who said something like "I wouldn't belong to an organization that would have me as a member."

My one-year supporting membership has expired. How is it I can get to this forum -- is this the "soft opening" Grif refers to?

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #9 of 12 Old Dec 20th, 2007, 7:39 pm
Cat Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by hschisler
I think it was Grouch Marx who said something like "I wouldn't belong to an organization that would have me as a member."

My one-year supporting membership has expired. How is it I can get to this forum -- is this the "soft opening" Grif refers to?
How is it? Quite simple, because you DO something for the community by being one of the bored directors of CCR. But now that you say it, maybe you should renew your membership.

Andreas Pleschutznig
'14 GSAW soon:

Still in search of Occam's razor to cut a Gordian knot.
post #10 of 12 Old Dec 20th, 2007, 8:21 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by hschisler

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy
How is it? Quite simple, because you DO something for the community by being one of the bored directors of CCR. But now that you say it, maybe you should renew your membership.
Yeah!!! Pay up buster!!!

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #11 of 12 Old Dec 20th, 2007, 9:33 pm
Lifetime Supporter

As my boss likes to say, "You guys are killin' me!"

I know... my renewal is overdue... big time. I hope to fix that before too much longer.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #12 of 12 Old Dec 26th, 2007, 6:39 pm

Thanks to all the un-named behind the scenes

This forum and its collective information has saved me more than the supporting membership costs, many times over. You guys are the best. Your dedication is above the call of duty. I owe you guys big time. See you at CCR in 2008.

Randi Kobernik
2005 K1200LT with a 2007 Hannigan Trike Kit "The Dragon"

It is not wise to meddle in the affairs of Dragons for thou art crunchy and good with katsup.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in