PHP (think this is a good place to post anyhow - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Nov 30th, 2005, 7:31 pm Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
tmgs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: NE Georgia, GA., USA
Posts: 5,835
PHP (think this is a good place to post anyhow

Anyone here know of a decent inexpensive (hopefully free to try out) php editor, preferably something easy to use that can split screen and you can see what you edit as you go? I know a little basic html code but the php is something I must learn now,

Thanks for any references for me to check out

Tom

Tom

'07 GS Adv (mine), '06 GS <(My brides)
(the only bmw's in the stable)
tmgs is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 Old Nov 30th, 2005, 8:02 pm
Cat Herder
 
andy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Houston, TX, USA
Posts: 5,852
I'm not quite sure if I understand what you want.

Are you trying to use PHP embedded in an HTML page? OR are you trying to use PHP as a stand alone programming language?

BECAUSE if you are doing some dynamic web pages, there is no 'split screen' because you edit in your editor, and then look in your browser what the result is.

That said, I have yet to find a free IDE for PHP, but then OTOH the best editor, that does color coding of variables and keywords and such is what comes with Unix -> 'vi' is your best bet and the fastest game in town.

If you want to spend some $$ then I know the the developers/inventors of PHP have an IDE available, but I have NO idea about the usability and quality and/or hiccups You should be able to read up on that on www.zend.com

Andreas Pleschutznig
'14 GSAW soon:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Still in search of Occam's razor to cut a Gordian knot.
andy is offline  
post #3 of 10 Old Nov 30th, 2005, 9:44 pm
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Alexandria, VA, USA
Posts: 67
I agree with Andy that vi is an excellent editor for PHP; it's what I use.

But if you're intimidated by a command-line interface, BB-Edit, and Script Editor are good low-cost alternitives.

Nath3an
nath3an is offline  
 
post #4 of 10 Old Dec 1st, 2005, 12:53 am
Senior Member
 
Gino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Modesto, CA, USA
Posts: 972
Garage
Thumbs up What I use...

Although most "text" editors can be found for free, "PHP" specific editors (the good ones) will cost you some money.

If you want to spend a few bucks ($29), Rapid PHP is what I use and it works quite well (30-day trial is available). (They also have WebBuilder for a few bucks more ($39) - which has more features).

Has some nice stuff - auto-complete (ala VBA editor), HTML editor, CSS editor, JavaScript editor, split screen, etc.

Gino
Modesto, CA
'02 Silver
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For they passed a noble law,
And the trees are all kept equal
By hatchet, axe, and saw. --Rush
Gino is offline  
post #5 of 10 Old Dec 1st, 2005, 2:06 am
Senior Member
 
Zotter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Casper, WY, USA
Posts: 1,742
There're a few freebies/FLOSS types available - www.sourceforge.net is but one of many places to look:

FTE is a 'programmers text editor' - includes syntax checking for several
http://sourceforge.net/project/showf...p?group_id=943 - looks to be windows based, source available.

There's Bluefish (GNOME) - source available
http://bluefish.openoffice.nl/index.html

Here's a site that is all about PHP editors
http://www.php-editors.com/ This is their 'featured' editor:
http://www.mpsoftware.dk/phpdesigner.php (freeware - windows)

And, if ya want the "Lexus" version and don't mind toss'n some dosh ($100), check this: http://www.zend.com/store/products/zend-studio/

And no, I'm not a developer, but I play one on the Internet

Tate

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

02 Mauve - my 'Light Truck'
Wyoming Immigration Officer, Cyberhiway tour guide and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Zotter is offline  
post #6 of 10 Old Dec 1st, 2005, 6:29 am Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
tmgs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: NE Georgia, GA., USA
Posts: 5,835
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zotter
There're a few freebies/FLOSS types available - www.sourceforge.net is but one of many places to look:

FTE is a 'programmers text editor' - includes syntax checking for several
http://sourceforge.net/project/showf...p?group_id=943 - looks to be windows based, source available.

There's Bluefish (GNOME) - source available
http://bluefish.openoffice.nl/index.html

Here's a site that is all about PHP editors
http://www.php-editors.com/ This is their 'featured' editor:
http://www.mpsoftware.dk/phpdesigner.php (freeware - windows)

And, if ya want the "Lexus" version and don't mind toss'n some dosh ($100), check this: http://www.zend.com/store/products/zend-studio/

And no, I'm not a developer, but I play one on the Internet

Thanks, I'll look at them, a trial of a prgram is fine, I don't mind buying a program but would like to see if I can learn some of this stuff first, it can't be that bad

Tom

'07 GS Adv (mine), '06 GS <(My brides)
(the only bmw's in the stable)
tmgs is offline  
post #7 of 10 Old Dec 1st, 2005, 6:30 am Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
tmgs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: NE Georgia, GA., USA
Posts: 5,835
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy
I'm not quite sure if I understand what you want.

Are you trying to use PHP embedded in an HTML page? OR are you trying to use PHP as a stand alone programming language?

BECAUSE if you are doing some dynamic web pages, there is no 'split screen' because you edit in your editor, and then look in your browser what the result is.

That said, I have yet to find a free IDE for PHP, but then OTOH the best editor, that does color coding of variables and keywords and such is what comes with Unix -> 'vi' is your best bet and the fastest game in town.

If you want to spend some $$ then I know the the developers/inventors of PHP have an IDE available, but I have NO idea about the usability and quality and/or hiccups You should be able to read up on that on www.zend.com
Thanks Andy, I am going to try and learn some of it for the website there are also style sheets .css?

I really only know a very little basic html

Tom

Tom

'07 GS Adv (mine), '06 GS <(My brides)
(the only bmw's in the stable)
tmgs is offline  
post #8 of 10 Old Dec 1st, 2005, 6:31 am Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
tmgs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: NE Georgia, GA., USA
Posts: 5,835
Quote:
Originally Posted by nath3an
I agree with Andy that vi is an excellent editor for PHP; it's what I use.

But if you're intimidated by a command-line interface, BB-Edit, and Script Editor are good low-cost alternitives.

Nath3an

Thanks!!

Tom

'07 GS Adv (mine), '06 GS <(My brides)
(the only bmw's in the stable)
tmgs is offline  
post #9 of 10 Old Dec 1st, 2005, 6:32 am Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
tmgs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: NE Georgia, GA., USA
Posts: 5,835
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gino
Although most "text" editors can be found for free, "PHP" specific editors (the good ones) will cost you some money.

If you want to spend a few bucks ($29), Rapid PHP is what I use and it works quite well (30-day trial is available). (They also have WebBuilder for a few bucks more ($39) - which has more features).

Has some nice stuff - auto-complete (ala VBA editor), HTML editor, CSS editor, JavaScript editor, split screen, etc.
Thanks Gino, I'm going to look at it now

Tom

Tom

'07 GS Adv (mine), '06 GS <(My brides)
(the only bmw's in the stable)
tmgs is offline  
post #10 of 10 Old Dec 1st, 2005, 9:30 am
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 1,316
vi? Did you say vi? Do you also use punch cards?
rixchard is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
10 first place winners in an International Patric Humor 3 Dec 8th, 2005 8:24 pm
Triple BBG-Ride Report murray Ride Tales 8 Nov 20th, 2005 7:34 pm
"First" Post Date & Time mtrevelino BMWLT Site Support Forum 0 Nov 8th, 2005 1:34 pm
Post 5000!!! Big Deal! messenger13 Chit Chat 25 Nov 8th, 2005 1:03 pm
How to 'mark' a post to be anwserd later? strsout BMWLT Site Support Forum 0 Oct 18th, 2005 1:46 pm

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome