Where to find good touring gear - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old Nov 29th, 2005, 9:32 am Thread Starter

Where to find good touring gear

I know there are as many opinions about which jacket and pants are the best as there are brands out there and I would prefer that this doesn't turn into a debate about which is best, rather the question that I have is where can I (and my wife) see and try on the best selection of touring gear.
I have done the research and read hundreds of reviews in the last couple of weeks regarding brand names and features, I have also called the nearest BMW dealers in Florida to see what they have in stock.
The bottom line is that serious touring gear doesn't sell very well in Florida so they don't have it at their stores except for mesh gear.
I am willing to travel almost anywhere in the southeast to any dealer that has a good variety and selection. My wife has made it clear that she isn't going to order online or wear a "man's" jacket.
To further complicate things we are on the opposite ends of the sizing charts,
she's xs @ 5'4" with a 36dd-21-36" figure (why do you think I married her?)
where I am 2x or 50L @ 6' -260lbs with a 40" waist, so standard of the rack stuff rarely fits either of us, we need to try things on.
Last March we went to visit all the vendors at the Daytona speedway and must have tried on 30 jackets each without succes.
So here's the punch line, which dealer has the best selection of gear?

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
"Silver Buffalo" Totaled 5/06
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer
"Our preferred long distance carrier"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old Nov 29th, 2005, 11:01 am

Do you have a Cycle Gear close by? There have a Frank Thomas line that is fit just for those of the femine variety. You might want to check them out.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bmwlt.com lately????

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #3 of 16 Old Nov 29th, 2005, 6:15 pm Thread Starter

cycle gear

Thnaks for the reply, I googled Cycle gear and their website says they are from California.
Do they have a store in Georgia?

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer

post #4 of 16 Old Nov 29th, 2005, 7:49 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Wink

Hi Hans , Aerostich http://www.aerostich.com/catalog/US/index.html will make there products fit you . I had them make me one of there one piece Roadcrafter's suits for me . I needed an extra short , extra chunky . A 48 short with there Mid Gusset & I had them shorten the legs 3" above the knee . It fits me pretty good & the'll work with you and get it to fit . There not cheep but , you know , it's been said that the cheapest part of a BMW motorcycle is the rider. ( note tongue in cheek )...Patric ...

Patric Blackman
2002 K1200LT/Hannigan2+2
2010 R1200GSA ...1987 Helix...
AMA Charter Lifemember
37 Year Member of both BMWMOA & BMWRA

post #5 of 16 Old Nov 29th, 2005, 8:23 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Red face

Hi Hans , I forgot to tell you how they work out there sizing . You call them and after talking to them ,and you/they get the basic size that you are . Then you order the standard size ( xx ,xxS ,xxL ect. ) then they make it for you , & ship it to you . If it does't fit , you can then figger out where it needs to be longer or shorter or bigger around or ??? . Then you send the suit that they sent you back . That suit goes back into there stock . Then they make a new suit with all the alterations that you want where you want them . If you ask them to make a suit with alterations , you bought it , but standard sizes can go back . It is a time comsuming , but it works . They are OK in my book...Patric...

Patric Blackman
2002 K1200LT/Hannigan2+2
2010 R1200GSA ...1987 Helix...
AMA Charter Lifemember
37 Year Member of both BMWMOA & BMWRA

post #6 of 16 Old Nov 29th, 2005, 9:18 pm

Thumbs up Yep we have 2 in Atlanta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBuffalo
Thnaks for the reply, I googled Cycle gear and their website says they are from California.
Do they have a store in Georgia?
And they have stores coming or already in your area.

Cheers.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #7 of 16 Old Nov 30th, 2005, 8:23 am

There is a store in Orlando on the south side of Rt. 50 about .8 miles west of 436. I was there last Saturday.

Alex H Lindsay
Melbourne, FL
Champagne 2001 LT
Space Coast BMW Riders
post #8 of 16 Old Nov 30th, 2005, 9:44 pm Thread Starter

Thanks

Wooaa thanks for the link to Cycle gear, I spent quite a bit of time on their website but somehow overlooked that and yes there are several stores near me, I'll be checking them out real soon.

Also thanks for the sizing info on Aerostich, I talked with them on the phone a couple of days ago and they didn't mention the suggested arrangement.
That may work for me because I have time.
Personally I would like to have the Darien but even their smallest one would probably swallow my wife.
She's so small that even an XS jacket of any brand we've tried is too large and the sleeves are so long, you can't see her hands, I tried telling her that she won't need gloves then but she's not buying it, she wants something that fits.

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer

post #9 of 16 Old Nov 30th, 2005, 11:33 pm
Prodigal Son

Ask [email protected] www.motoliberty.com/default.asp

or take a look @

http://www.motoport.com/detail.asp?I...ategory=Kevlar

ed early
Life is a Blind Curve , Just Ride It, Low and Inside
'00' Canyon Red
post #10 of 16 Old Dec 5th, 2005, 11:26 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBuffalo
To further complicate things we are on the opposite ends of the sizing charts,
she's xs @ 5'4" with a 36dd-21-36" figure (why do you think I married her?)

in order to clearly help you better, we will need to see pictures - yes - dressed a nice long black dress

Tom

Tom

'07 GS Adv (mine), '06 GS <(My brides)
(the only bmw's in the stable)
post #11 of 16 Old Mar 31st, 2006, 10:11 pm

Amen ... 6'-3" and 260 here ... In the past 5 months I must have tried 30 different coats and the same number of bottoms at bike shows and nothing fits.

I believe my goal now is to find some large bib type riding gear, which are also rain proof, so it would be easy on and easy off.

Any ideas where I could find the riding bibs, seems everything is made for a skinny model. I need man gear.

A few years ago I purchased a ROCKET touring coat and on that both the velcro and zippers don't stay closed in the winter. Other than that the coat fits fairly well. Oh, one thing, last October while on a 1200 mile ride to Montreal, I accidentally had the plastic zipper touch the hot exhaust pipe so now I'm also missing 6" of zipper. So, with not being able to close the zipper, compounded with the other zippers and velcro opening, I need a new coat which fits, for a reasonable price.
Had to get that off my chest.
post #12 of 16 Old Mar 31st, 2006, 11:32 pm

Touring gear

I have found a store in West Texas that i just love. They have an on line catalog and have mens and womens sizes, styles and lots of different makes. From boots to helmets and everything in between. It is at newenough.com. I tried stuff on at cyclegear, etc and found they beat their prices including shipping.

Rob Asay
99 Canyon Red Lt
"The True Red Dragon"
1982 Honda "Silver Wing"
1986 Gold Wing Interstate "Blue Babe"
1978 Gold Wing
1976 Kawasaki 900
1967 Honda 305 Scrambler
post #13 of 16 Old Apr 1st, 2006, 5:36 am

Cool

Once you get the sizing thing down try www.motocyclecloseouts.com. I have made some great deals with them. You will have to spend some time with the online store cause not everything is available in every size, but you can save a lot of money.

NOGILLS2

Booze Brother# 69
2003 K1200LTE "BEERBURNER" RIP 07/21/09
2006 Aluma Trailer "AFTERBURNER" SOLD
2007 ST1300ABS "Quicksilver"

post #14 of 16 Old Apr 1st, 2006, 6:01 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopM
Amen ... 6'-3" and 260 here ... In the past 5 months I must have tried 30 different coats and the same number of bottoms at bike shows and nothing fits.

I believe my goal now is to find some large bib type riding gear, which are also rain proof, so it would be easy on and easy off.

Any ideas where I could find the riding bibs, seems everything is made for a skinny model. I need man gear.

A few years ago I purchased a ROCKET touring coat and on that both the velcro and zippers don't stay closed in the winter. Other than that the coat fits fairly well. Oh, one thing, last October while on a 1200 mile ride to Montreal, I accidentally had the plastic zipper touch the hot exhaust pipe so now I'm also missing 6" of zipper. So, with not being able to close the zipper, compounded with the other zippers and velcro opening, I need a new coat which fits, for a reasonable price.
Had to get that off my chest.
A frined of mine makes you sound like a small man, I told him to look into Belstaff, he found jacket and pants that fit him from them, though he was able to get to a show and actually try them on, also aero stitch makes a great product but break out your wallet on the stich.

Tom

post #15 of 16 Old Apr 1st, 2006, 6:33 am
Lifetime Supporter

Aerostich

If you are considering Aerostich, you can visit their factory/showroom; they have no retail outlets other than their Duluth, MN headquarters.

My wife and I plan a pilgrimage to their location soon to get measured and fitted. We, too, have settled on mediocre gear until we can get stuff that fits, works near-perfectly, and lasts. Be advised that their alterations cost $$, and a lot of alterations can increase the base cost of a Roadcrafter or Darien outfit by $100 and more.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #16 of 16 Old Apr 1st, 2006, 6:37 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by hschisler
If you are considering Aerostich, you can visit their factory/showroom; they have no retail outlets other than their Duluth, MN headquarters.

My wife and I plan a pilgrimage to their location soon to get measured and fitted. We, too, have settled on mediocre gear until we can get stuff that fits, works near-perfectly, and lasts. Be advised that their alterations cost $$, and a lot of alterations can increase the base cost of a Roadcrafter or Darien outfit by $100 and more.
I'll tell ya what though, properly fitted gear is pricless on those long day's. I had my gerbings custom fit and wow what a difference.

Tom

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in