LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old Sep 5th, 2007, 11:15 pm Thread Starter

Exclamation Apple's new line of products

Pretty cool!
I got that photo from HERE.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old Sep 6th, 2007, 6:32 am

My Verizon contract is up at the end of the year and I'm not particularly happy with the signal coverage anymore. It looks like AT&T has taken the lead in that area. I've been looking at the I-Phone as a possible replacement but the cost was a little higher than I could justify to myself. But since Apple lowered the price $200 yesterday it is looking like a much better option.

This seems very unlike Apple to me. I guess they really do want to own the phone market too.....just like MP3 players.

Kevin

1999 K1200LT, patiently waiting for a new model.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Slave Cylinder Procedure->
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 17 Old Sep 6th, 2007, 6:37 am

I'd hardly call them 'pocket sized'

• 2005 LT - 17 countries, 2 CONTINENTS & counting !
  • MB SLK 350 MT
  • 1974 Triumph Bonneville 750

post #4 of 17 Old Sep 6th, 2007, 7:25 am
Bouncer

The iPhone has been an interesting phenomena. In less than 3 months, they've got just over 15% of the smartphone market as they will sell their millionth iPhone sometime this month. I saw a report just prior to the release of the iPhone that said there were 6.7M smartphones on the market. I guess that number could be bigger if you re-define what is considered a "smartphone".

With the holiday season coming up, and the $200 reduction, it seems the iPhone is on track sell another couple million units (and a bigger share of the smartphone market). Boy, would I have loved to be on the management team of that little German company that developed the multi-touch screen technology Apple bought for the iPhone and now the iPod touch.

I've had mine since day one, and it has been the "convergence device" I've craved for several years. There are only a couple things wrong with it that will require a hardware upgrade when iPhone 2.0 comes out. The rest are only a software update away. The funny thing about the iPhone is that I RARELY use the iPod functions. Maybe just to show off the features of the iPhone, but I haven't listened to a complete song or watched a full movie on it yet. But the browser and email client I use all the time.

As for the network, when I'm connected to WiFi, it is blazing fast. When I am on the EDGE, it's like being on low-end DSL or my old ISDN line I gave up years ago. I now understand why the decision to go EDGE over high-speed 3G. EDGE is pretty much everywhere when you have a signal. I've been in some pretty remote areas and pulled up weather radar, or even looked up something on Google in the middle of nowhere. Sure, 3G would be great, but since 3G would be worthless outside any major metro area, it's just not there yet.

If I had to classify the shortcomings in the iPhone hardware, it would be the lack of a GPS chip. With SiRF chips coming out in many other smartphones, it seems like a major oversight on Apple's part. Imagine the Google Maps application with a built-in GPS capability. Almost every other shortcoming can be fixed with a software update.

Overall, it definitely kills the Treo line of smartphones. I tried living on a Treo a couple years ago and took it back for a simple Moto SLVR. I've tried a Blackberry, and it was even worse. I've played with a Windows Mobile smartphone (one sold by Sprint) for a little bit. The Windows Mobile platform had so much potential, but Microsoft screwed up the interface. They still have the mobile tools and applications, but I suspect that will change as the iPhone becomes the predominant smartphone on the market.

Already, I am starting to see enterprise IT departments supporting push email (it's a simple configuration to an Exchange server) to support corporate email on the iPhone. Too bad my company uses Lotus Notes, as I will have to wait for that support down the line, or use a client based push application that is coming out later this month.

Now, my other gripe of the iPhone is the phone. Speaking purely from a phone point of view, it's a mediocre phone. The speakerphone is a joke (can't hear it unless you are in a completely silent room), the bluetooth is goofy (hard to explain, but it behaves completely differently than any other BT phone I've used), features like speed dialing, voice dialing, and the navigation needed to dial a number need some work. The one area that Apple and AT&T have hit a home run is the Visual Voicemail feature. What a great idea that was. Download your voicemails onto your iPod part of your iPhone so you can review them in a list format and listen to them in any order you want. Pretty cool feature when you get 20 or more voicemails per day like I do.

Overall, it's a pretty damn great device.

'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue

"I am hoping for an asteroid impact to put all this climate change nonsense to bed."
-

Last edited by eljeffe; Sep 6th, 2007 at 7:33 am.
post #5 of 17 Old Sep 6th, 2007, 7:30 am

I didn't think they lowered the price of anything. They released an iPod that looks like an iPhone. It has WiFi, but no phone capabilities, and has either 8Gb or 16Gb. Seems like the 16Gb was $399.

AT&T does seem to have better coverage now, but I sure like Sprint's data network. It's so much faster than AT&T. If I could get a discount on the iPhone and the plan, I'd probably jump, but they're not giving us AT&T employees any discounts on that stuff.

'99K1200LT - "Bertha" - gone, but not forgotten!
'86 Concours - "Horse with no name" (under reconstructive surgery)
'06 K1200GT - "Road Rocket"
Marshall, Tx

post #6 of 17 Old Sep 6th, 2007, 7:43 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwsdad
I didn't think they lowered the price of anything. ...

From CNN.com:
In iPhone news, Jobs said Apple will discontinue one of the two models sold since late June. The remaining version, with 8 gigabytes of storage, will now sell for $399, or $200 less than before

http://money.cnn.com/2007/09/05/tech...ion=2007090513

2018 K1600GTL
2012 K1600GTL (retired)
2003 K1200LT (retired)

IBA # 35048
post #7 of 17 Old Sep 6th, 2007, 8:15 am

That's gonna really pi$$ off a few folks, ain't it?

'99K1200LT - "Bertha" - gone, but not forgotten!
'86 Concours - "Horse with no name" (under reconstructive surgery)
'06 K1200GT - "Road Rocket"
Marshall, Tx

post #8 of 17 Old Sep 6th, 2007, 2:07 pm
Bouncer

If you purchased it within the return period, you can get a refund. If you purchased it within the return period on a credit card that offers price protection, you're good. If you purchased it outside that window, you're screwed.

"I am hoping for an asteroid impact to put all this climate change nonsense to bed."
-
post #9 of 17 Old Sep 6th, 2007, 2:10 pm

Have you seen this line of MACs very cool ...I almost bouhgt one a couple days ago as I am really getting sick of windows crashing once every six months or so!!!!

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL...e/desktop/imac

Mike
post #10 of 17 Old Sep 6th, 2007, 2:17 pm
Bouncer

I'm currently on the MacBook Pro 17". Allows me to run our corporate image of Windows XP Pro on a Parallels Virtual Machine (VMWare also makes a VM product as well). Making snapshots of the image, and doing backups to recover from the inevitable crash is easy and seamless. Also, using a VM product, I can also run an image of Windows Vista, Linux, and even Solaris on the same box. Our network security group all carries MacBook Pros with VM images of all our supported OSes. The intel-based Macs have really upped the ante in terms of making the crossover absolutely painless.

-
post #11 of 17 Old Sep 6th, 2007, 4:47 pm
Lifetime Supporter

well, when apple released the new shuffle, they basically told old owners "tough crap" when they (Me included) asked for either an upgrade or a discount for an upgrade because the previous version had battery and software issues.

If they do the same with the people who bought the first release iPhones, I imagine there's going to be a negative impact on stock values and repeat customers, even among the supergeeks...

A 33% reduction in price is absolutely unbelievable when you're selling nearly all of a particular product you can make (as opposed to if, say, you're getting your ass handed to you by a competitor).

Positive side? All those EBay weasels who have bought hundreds of the things for $475 and are selling them for $550 that are gonna' take it in the shorts...

========================================
When life throws you a curve, LEAN INTO IT!!!
2000 R1100RT-P...R.I.P. "Old motorcycle"

2004 K1200LT "Lick and Tickle"

FU*K Cancer. If I have one more MRI, I'll stick to the refrigerator door.
post #12 of 17 Old Sep 7th, 2007, 3:21 pm

I too got tired of having my PC crash so I bought an iMac last month, have enjoyed it very much, its the beemer of home computers. Of course with my purshasing luck Apple came out with the new one, two weeks after I bought mine. It was pretty gutsy to lower the iPhones price and the nano, Micromonopoly lowered the Zune $50 the same day. Steve Jobs tried to make nice with the $100 toward another Apple product. And the iMac will run xp better then a PC too

2002 R1150R rip
1996 R1100RT
post #13 of 17 Old Sep 7th, 2007, 3:35 pm Thread Starter

Apple screwing people regarding PRICE? SAY IT ISN'T SO!!!
But then again, that's all that Apple knows how to do, now isn't it?

Cracks me up when I hear statements like:
"The intel-based Macs have really upped the ante in terms of making the crossover absolutely painless." Painless for whom? Not the CFO, that's for sure! Macs are sooooo ridiculously over-priced, it's not even funny. You've all been con'ed!

Apple is the Harley-Davidson of the computer world!

And I don't buy the whole "PC always crash and Macs don't" argument. That's just plain BULL!
post #14 of 17 Old Sep 10th, 2007, 9:58 am

However, it is pretty typical of what has been going with electronics/computers for quite some time now - hurry up and buy before the price goes down!

That did happen pretty quickly in this case though.

Alex H Lindsay
Melbourne, FL
Champagne 2001 LT
Space Coast BMW Riders
post #15 of 17 Old Sep 10th, 2007, 12:08 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
Apple screwing people regarding PRICE? SAY IT ISN'T SO!!!
But then again, that's all that Apple knows how to do, now isn't it?

Cracks me up when I hear statements like:
"The intel-based Macs have really upped the ante in terms of making the crossover absolutely painless." Painless for whom? Not the CFO, that's for sure! Macs are sooooo ridiculously over-priced, it's not even funny. You've all been con'ed!

Apple is the Harley-Davidson of the computer world!

And I don't buy the whole "PC always crash and Macs don't" argument. That's just plain BULL!
Joe-

I don't often disagree with ya...but I am typing my first post on my Mac and this thing is sweet!!
The ONLY reliable PC I ever owned was my second,a HP(circa 1993) after returning an Acer in about 2 days. I am so sick of starting over again because of some dumb ass software or windows designated virus....Each time I think I've found the right one-I'm wrong....kinda like women...I hope I can marry this one.
No real need for virus protection cause the bastards haven't spent the time to write them. Took me 'bout 10 minutes to set it up and have internet access and so on.
BTW-the price wasn't much more than my last PC set-up...maybe less

Mike
post #16 of 17 Old Sep 10th, 2007, 12:56 pm
Lifetime Supporter

The siren song of the iPhone is loud in my ears at the moment. I fondle them frequently in the Apple store. However, I just switched to an 8525 which I like a lot and will have to hold on to that for a bit longer. I'm looking to v2.0 to solve a few issues and then I'm switching.

Todd R.
Grapevine, TX USA

'78 R80/7
'06 FJR1300A

"You will now be thrown into the Obamaucracy. In his belly you will find a new definition of pain and suffering as you are slowly taxed to death over the next four years."
post #17 of 17 Old Sep 10th, 2007, 12:56 pm

My MacBook has a camera built right into the screen, and when you buy a Mac subscription you get seamless, simple to use wireless teleconferencing with other Mac users. Gotta love it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in