GOOD news sometimes comes in threes, too... - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old Aug 31st, 2007, 7:36 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

GOOD news sometimes comes in threes, too...

First we were happy to celebrate the news that "Pie Princess" landed a new gig, then "Messenger" Joe shared his happy fortune. I'll be the third to step up and snoopy-dance the "I finally got hired" Samba...

Three and 3/4 months, 210 resumes, applications and online responses, fourteen seemingly solid possibilities that dead-ended with "we could never afford you," or "gee, you're way over-qualified for this position" or the really fun "why would you be interested in this position, it seems like a step down for you..."

I went through EIGHT interviews with the company that just hired me (no kidding), had to produce impromptu writing samples, a background investigation that rivaled when I got top secret clearance from the gub'mint, but FINALLY have my confirmed written offer letter.

<------Pete doing the Snoopy-Dance

Thanks to everyone on the forum who shared support and friendship and laughs when I really needed them, especially those who helped me through some horrific lows (you know who you are, and wouldn't want me to list ya' anyway, but thank you!).

Now I can begin the quest to recover my shattered self-esteem.

Anyone know the lattitude and longitude coordinates for that so I can punch it into my Zumo and click "route to?"

Pete

========================================
When life throws you a curve, LEAN INTO IT!!!
2000 R1100RT-P...R.I.P. "Old motorcycle"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2004 K1200LT "Lick and Tickle"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

FU*K Cancer. If I have one more MRI, I'll stick to the refrigerator door.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old Aug 31st, 2007, 7:44 pm

Nice Pete !!

I hope it ends up being your best job ever (the "job" part sucks though ) CONGRATS!!

Mike
post #3 of 20 Old Aug 31st, 2007, 8:34 pm

Yeowzer, Bud - I tell ya, Fridays around here usually bring some good news on various fronts, and your newz is one of the best --- gonna snuff the candle with your name on it now. Don't know how you perservered, butt I'm sincerely glad you did.

When do you git the assigned parking slot and the office with a view??

Best to ya, Pete. Give ole Santa Claus a long list this year!!!

post #4 of 20 Old Aug 31st, 2007, 9:01 pm

Thumbs up Woohoo!

Congrats Pete! I KNOW the feeling!

I start the new gig Tuesday...you have any idea when you'll be starting? Can you give us more details about the position?
post #5 of 20 Old Aug 31st, 2007, 9:09 pm

Good for you Pete!

Always like to see the good guys come through and win in the end....

Thanks for sharing you news with us...
post #6 of 20 Old Aug 31st, 2007, 9:19 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Goodonya mate!

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

-----------------------------------------------

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #7 of 20 Old Aug 31st, 2007, 9:34 pm

Excellent news! As for the self-esteem issue I think you'll find that work is good therapy in and of itself. You'll be good as new in no time. Congratulations.

Fred Jewell
No longer president, River City Beemers
2009 R1200RT - Silver

BMWMOA #123779
BMWRA #38714
IBA #24559

"Shadowboxing the apocalypse, wandering the land"
post #8 of 20 Old Sep 1st, 2007, 5:22 pm
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Congrats Pete Good on ya I guess that crystal business card holder for the Horizonial Horizon" award you recieved at CCR will come in handy now
BTW BO (texas42) is bringing it home so get with him to get it

Stevie Shreeve

Last edited by katnapinn; Sep 1st, 2007 at 8:43 pm.
post #9 of 20 Old Sep 1st, 2007, 6:48 pm

Congratulations Pete. I'm sure it is a huge relief and you'll be able to really enjoy Labor Day weekend now!!!

Good Luck,
Kevin

1999 K1200LT, patiently waiting for a new model.

Slave Cylinder Procedure->
post #10 of 20 Old Sep 2nd, 2007, 12:16 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by katnapinn
Congrats Pete Good on ya I guess that crystal business card holder for the Horizonial Horizon" award you recieved at CCR will come in handy now
BTW BO (texas42) is bringing it home so get with him to get it

should I ask???

post #11 of 20 Old Sep 2nd, 2007, 12:46 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Thanks, everyone!!! (details)

Your thoughts, and in some cases prayers, meant the world to me...meant more to me that they were also directed to helping me find a way to take care of my kiddos the way I always had.

I'm starting Sept 10 with Computer Associates as a curriculum design and certification examination developer. CA has been around for 25-some years, has undergone some very radical leadership changes after some not-so-terrific press a few years ago (not my concern, because it's a new world there now, and I've been absolutely OVERWHELMED by the quality and integrity of those in my new chain of command!), and currently has a presence in something like 50 countries and provides software to 98% of the fortune 500 (geeze, maybe I should have interviewed for a sales job...).

They are re-vamping the education and certification division dramatically, pumping enormous financial and personnel resources into the effort, for both internal and external training, development and certification on their couple hundreds of software programs (some of which are developed in-house, others they acquire by purchasing up and coming companies).

My role, which will be an interesting move after ten+ years of training law enforcement personnel, will be working with subject matter experts, curriculum design, and development to tie all of that together for certification and validation examinations to test mastery of specific skills, effectiveness and impact of training programs on job performance, and conceptual enhancement (what people learn, how they apply it, and what they retain). Internally, employee "certification" is going to play a big part in the future for decisions regarding promotions and salary increases, so this obviously has little room for sloppiness!

Challenging part will be working with outside "psychometric analysis" vendors to make sure that examinations that are developed are culturally and technically universal (not a small challenge when the customer base encompasses over 100 countries world-wide), and that exams are "valid" on the criteria of "experts in the field would agree these are proper measures of what someone in that position should know" and then tested, analyzed, modified, re-tested, etc. to ensure they are court-defensible.

All that, and I get to wear a paper crown, and bring home all the left-over french fries I want at the end of every shift!

woohoo!

Better news is I get to take the "for sale" sign off of my car, cancel the sales listing for the LT I was putting together (September 1st was my secret deadline), health insurance with no disqualifications for pre-existing conditions starts day one, which is going to save me almost a grand a month in insurance (hey, maybe I can use that as my argument to put that K1200 R-sport in the garage...), and even better, my gossip frenzied, "he doesn't have a job yet?" in-laws can stick it up their collective heiney!

So, Pie Princess and Messenger Joe, when are we gettin' together to celebrate?

Oh wait a minute, that's not the gender ratio of a celebratory threesome I really had in mind...

Ahhh, hell, I'm smiling for the first time in months, and Joe DOES have a purty mouth.....

(kidding)

Have a great LABOR DAY, never thought I'd be starting off a Labor Day weekend wishing it was a few days later so I could go to work!!!

Pete

post #12 of 20 Old Sep 2nd, 2007, 6:09 am

Thanks for the details Pete; sounds really really cool. We'll just have to celebrate from afar. And yes...I do have a purty mouth.
post #13 of 20 Old Sep 2nd, 2007, 3:18 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!! Actually I handed it off to Bob (beemerriderbob) because he is retired and can bring it over as soon as he gets back.

Congratulations (on the Job)!!!!!!!!!!!

--Bo
2013 Magma Red R1200GSA
2012 Candy Apple Red R1200R
2007 (2006 Blue Panels) R1200GS (RIP Poteau, OK)
2006 Graphite K1200GT (sold)
2002 Titan Silver LT (sold)

Don't Panic!
Achtung! böse Eichhörnchen!
post #14 of 20 Old Sep 2nd, 2007, 3:28 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Thumbs up

Pete,
So glad to hear that your journey has led you to a new and exciting opportunity.
Recent previous posts have ID'd CA Associates virus/firewall software as being at the top of the heap as well.

Sorry we haven't had an opportunity for an "eyeball" conversation, but that will happen in the future.

Goed geluk mijn vriend!

pm
--
Life is too short to do anything
other than that about which you
are absolutely passionate . . .
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"
2005 Pyrenees of France & Spain
2006 Tuscany

2011 South Africa

2014 The Dolomites of Italy, Alps of Switzerland & Austria and returning to Milan via the "Gold Coast" of the French Riveria.

2016 Northern & Central Spain & Portugal

2018 Central & Eastern Europe: Slovenia, Austria, Poland,Hungary, Czech Republic & Slovakia!

2019 Maritime Provinces of Canada & New England 3,500 miles

'18 R1200RTW
'00 K1200LTC (Dealer is taking on consignment!)
'90 K75-Sold to a new BMW owner (2016)
'62 R 50/2 (Rode hard and put away wet)-Sold in '81
'63 Vespa 150 (1st and only dirt bike!)
Sold in '67

post #15 of 20 Old Sep 2nd, 2007, 3:42 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Congratulations, Pete!

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #16 of 20 Old Sep 2nd, 2007, 3:56 pm

All the way from the UK - WELL DONE PETE - there's nothing worse than starting to doubt your own faith in yourself, and you got it before that happened. Back in 1977, when I first started working, there was a CA office near Iver in Buckinghamshire - lovely little 4 storey building - I used to love it, I wonder if it's the same company.

Anyway, well done Pete, when's the GS being delivered ?

• 2005 LT - 17 countries, 2 CONTINENTS & counting !
  • MB SLK 350 MT
  • 1974 Triumph Bonneville 750

post #17 of 20 Old Sep 2nd, 2007, 6:07 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolly
All the way from the UK - WELL DONE PETE - there's nothing worse than starting to doubt your own faith in yourself, and you got it before that happened. Back in 1977, when I first started working, there was a CA office near Iver in Buckinghamshire - lovely little 4 storey building - I used to love it, I wonder if it's the same company.

Anyway, well done Pete, when's the GS being delivered ?

YOU SENT ME A GS? Wow, I don't know what to say, thank you, my friend, what a celebratory gift!!!

post #18 of 20 Old Sep 2nd, 2007, 6:31 pm

Hi Howard,
It was so nice to meet you and your sweet daughter. What fun to see you two pass me on the way home!!! Wasn't sure if you saw Paul who was about five minutes ahead. I passed him right before St. Louis and we were able to stop and have breakfast. This was a great week and I learned a lot! The self-defense class was great and the key chain is attached to my keys as we speak. Looked like Kaity had a great time at the spa! Hope she enjoys getting back to school. Maybe at some point I will move up to a bigger bike. I'm ready to ride!!!
Take care, Coralee
post #19 of 20 Old Sep 2nd, 2007, 8:53 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by petevandyke
Have a great LABOR DAY, never thought I'd be starting off a Labor Day weekend wishing it was a few days later so I could go to work!!!

Pete
Great stuff Pete! You will be a great asset to a great company.

Blessings!
munson+

The Rev. John Munson
Vicar,
, Burkburnett, Texas
Vicar,
, Wichita Falls, Texas
2007 R1200RT "REV ZM"
IRON BUTT ASSOC. #37813
See my video:
post #20 of 20 Old Sep 3rd, 2007, 12:01 am

Pete:
Fantastic news!!! I'm really happy for you. I've been there, done that, no reason for low self esteem. Best of luck.

Ray

Ray Rau
Brewster, NY
'99 LT - Champagne

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in